Unsteady

By _dripps

Book 1 in the Shards of Glass Series Unsteady ʌnˈstɛdi adjective Liable to fall or shake I felt completely b... More

Disclaimer & Subsidiary
Prologue
01. Gone
02. Alpha Omega
03. You Don't Own Me
04. Wreak Havoc
06. The Phoenix
07. Breathin
08. Say the Word
09. Hall of Fame
10. Let's Get Lost
11. All I Need
12. I Like Me Better
13. In the Dark
14. Run
15. Unsteady
16. Not About Angels
17. Lily
18. Build It Up
19. Stargazing
20. Start Again
21. Do It All For You
22. Don't Get Any Closer
23. Everything Will Be Ok
24. This Feeling
25. I'm Yours
26. Stand By You
27. More Than Words
28. Mine
29. Flight of the Stars
30. Don't Leave
31. Fools
32. Hopeless
33. Memories
34. You Are the Reason
Epilogue
Authors Note

05. Crash and Burn

3.1K 103 49
By _dripps

Live each day like it's your last
'Cause you never feel
the moment 'til it's passed
Time just keeps on ticking fast
Know, there's danger in the lesson learned
Slow down before you crash and burn
Better slow down before you crash and burn
-Crash and Burn
-G-Eazy
-Kehlani

•••••

"You can't assume I have secrets. I'm just an ordinary girl cruising through life."

"As if."

"What makes you think I'd hide something? You've only seen me for two days and you're already judging me."

"Two days is a lot of time to make a judgement on a person."

"You don't even know me!"

"I know enough about you to know that you're trouble."

"That's not fair. What do you know?"

"I know whatever you're hiding is something that would ruin your life once revealed."

"That's all you got?"

"I'm not sure if people would get hurt, but I'm sure you do."

I turned away from Ryder.

"You can't judge me without knowing me. You can't try to pry into my life either, you'll find nothing interesting."

"Riley, I know that no one runs in the middle of a school parking lot just because they saw some guy. I also know that they don't just bump into random people hyperventilating and running."

I kept my mouth shut trying to think of a lie to say.

"I couldn't find the bathroom," I mumbled.

Ryder rolled up his sleeves exposing his forearms and momentarily distracting me by the veins that protruded from his tan skin.

Focus you hormonal freak!

Ryder turned his head so that he was facing me and narrowed his eyes at me.

"Why would you start hyperventilating?"

"Would you want to urinate on the floor in school?"

"No, but I wouldn't start hyperventilating either."

"We all have different ways of dealing with our problems," I said defensively.

Ryder turned away from me and stared at the board but something told me he wasn't really paying attention.

Is it really that obvious that I'm running from someone? Or hiding something?

Well it must be if a guy who only knows me for two days knows I have secrets.

Then again Ryder is very observant so he probably knows a lot of things.

"...and that is what you're essay is on. You have this lesson to start it and by Thursday I want it handed in."

My eyes widened at the mention of the words essay and Thursday.

How was I going to hand in an essay on Thursday when I didn't even know what to write about?

This wouldn't be happening if you didn't get distracted with thoughts of the fool sitting next to you.

The fool that also has to do this essay!

"Psst Ryder," I whispered.

No response.

"Ryder!" I whisper yelled.

Nothing.

I poked Ryder with my pencil and ended up receiving a glare.

"What do you want Carter?"

I gave him a sheepish grin.

"What did you do now?" he growled.

"Nothing!" I answered innocently.

Ryder gave me a bored look, "Then may you please let me do my work in peace?"

I see we're going to have to do this the hard way.

"What you writing?" I asked tilting my head so I could see what he was writing.

"Why would I tell you?" he shielded his paper from me.

"I have no idea what we're supposed to be doing," I answered honestly.

He rolled his eyes still staring at his paper.

"Why weren't you paying attention in the first place?"

I was sorting my life out okay!

"Don't know."

"Well, I'm not feeling generous enough to tell you," Ryder said smirking.

Ass.

I scowled.

"What is your problem? How hard is it to tell me what we're supposed to be doing?"

He put down his pen and turned to me with his smirk still intact.

"Why don't you ask Miss Wilkins?"

"The woman already hates me enough!" I hissed.

"Maybe if you asked me nicely I'd tell you."

Being nice to Ryder was the last thing on my mind, but so was becoming the teacher's most hated student.

"Please may you tell me the instructions so that I do not fail this class," I said through clenched teeth.

"That wasn't so hard," Ryder said amused, "all you have to do is write an essay about an alternative ending to Romeo and Juliet."

I groaned and turned away from Ryder.

I grabbed my pen and stared at my blank page holding it centimeters from touching the feint light blue lines.

I bit my lip and willed a single thought about Shakespeare's play to worm it's way into my head and grant me a drop of inspiration.

"Amazing progression," Ryder said.

He is not going to make it out alive.

•••••

So far three days have gone by and there has been no sign of any strange activity besides for the strange guy I saw on Tuesday. Dylan didn't react too well to that story once I had told him.

He was pretty upset I didn't mention how the guy nearly got me killed and how Ryder was going to be the one doing the dirty work on the Tuesday it happened.

Instead I waited until Friday night when Dylan decided to start my street fighting training. Dylan was two seconds away from booking plane tickets to Canada. I managed to convince him that I was probably being delusional but he's been on edge.

He moved into my spare room in my apartment temporarily and said he'd leave on Monday, he just thought that this was all just too coincidental.

Dylan became so protective that he didn't even want me to go out for a walk today. After practically begging him to let me go he gave in and set a curfew for me because he had to leave the apartment and knew I wouldn't want to be dragged along to the dentist with him. So, 12am on a bright and sunny Saturday I had two hours before Dylan would expect me to be home.

The sun reflected off the panoramic buildings making the glass shine. Not a single cloud was in sight and the street wasn't as full as I would have expected.

I let out a sigh of relief once I spotted a cafe not too far off. I needed to find my way around Grey's Town and staying cooped up in my apartment wasn't going to help with that.

The cafe didn't look far from where I was standing and the sun was beginning to make me feel like a baked potato so I began to walk a little faster to get there.

But as usual, when did something un-overly dramatic ever not happen to me?

Not even two steps away from me, a guy walked out of an alleyway dressed in all black with his jacket zipped up to just under his chin. The guy made direct eye contact with me, and his cap hung low on his face shadowing his forehead, and only enabling me to see a set of emerald green eyes.

Why does it have to be me?

I stopped walking, standing dead still not making any sudden moves that would trigger the stranger to pounce.

I noticed that he too stood still and just watched me. Out of the corner of my eye I could see the cafe in view with a few people sitting inside.

There were very little people walking on the sidewalk and no cars in sight. I was just glad we weren't alone.

The stranger wouldn't make a move in public. There were too many witnesses around, easy for him to get caught.

He'd be smarter than that.

Right?

The stranger took a step towards me, and I took a step back.

At least there were no cars around to knock me this time.

"We need to talk," the guy mumbled.

I know that voice.

"Who are you?"

Way to go Riley. What are you going to ask next? 'What do you want from me?' Classic!

Not now!

"I'm offended. After being on the run for a whole year, you've forgotten your best friend?" the stranger asked.

I never had a best friend.

"I can't believe you forgot me!" the stranger said, genuinely sounding hurt.

"Maybe if you showed me your face I'd remember," I replied crossing my arms over my chest.

You do realize this person could be related to him, but instead of running you're standing here having a normal conversation.

He hasn't made a move to hurt me.

And chasing you in a parking lot wasn't dangerous enough?

The stranger sighed and then slowly began to take off his cap, his messy dark blonde locks falling over his face.

He unzipped his jacket (which I found odd to be worn on an extremely hot day) and took it off completely, revealing the rose tattoo that curled up his arm and disappeared under his sleeve.

My eyes widened once I realized who it was.

Impossible!

"Alec!" I yelled.

"Surprise?"

He grinned at me.

•••••

"I can't believe this! It's really you!" I exclaimed still shocked from my discovery.

"Yeah, well I'm not here to just have a normal conversation. There's something you need to know," Alec's voice dropped to a whisper.

"First of all, why were you stalking me?" I asked also whispering.

"Well you see-"

"Afternoon, my name is Scott and I will be your waiter for today. What may I get you to drink?" Scott asked.

I turned my head once I heard the familiar voice.

"Riley! Hey, I didn't expect to see you here!" Scott exclaimed cheerfully.

Neither did I

Out of the corner of my eye, I watched Alec's eyes narrow at the mention of my name.

Well isn't this just grand.

"Hey Scott," I said in a voice which I hoped sounded just as cheerful as his.

Scott turned his head to Alec and then back to me and back again to Alec. His face shifted into a frown but was quickly replaced with a smile not as enthusiastic as the previous one.

"So what can I get you two?" he repeated.

A whole big enough to swallow me would be great thanks.

"Two cokes," I said.

"Do you want to order your food with that or do you need more time?" Scott asked.

"Actually, you shouldn't worry about my meal. I won't be too long," Alec said turning a questioning brow to me.

"I'm not that hungry either Scott. I think the drinks will do."

"Two cokes coming right up," Scott said.

"Riley? Seriously?" Alec asked once Scott was out of sight.

I groaned and put my hands in front of my face.

"Yeah, yeah I get it. What did you want to say?" I asked.

Alec grinned at me, "Wouldn't you want to know Riley?"

"Can you stop already!" I exclaimed.

Alec let out a loud laugh and then all traces of humor left his face as he focused on the situation at hand.

"Alright, first lets clear up something here. Yes, I did stalk you because if I didn't I wouldn't have found you."

"Was it necessary to chase me in the school parking lot?" I asked.

He rolled his eyes, "If I remember correctly, I took a normal step towards you to talk to you but then you decided to take a step backwards and make it a game of cat and mouse."

I nodded and waited patiently for Scott, who had returned with our drinks, to leave again.

"I understand what you mean. What's going on?" I asked lowering my voice to a whisper again.

He leaned forward to ensure that our nosy neighbours, who consisted of an elderly couple watching us suspiciously, didn't hear our conversation.

"He's looking for you Riley. I've never seen him this dedicated to tracking someone. You've seen him track people before, he's completely different now. It's like he wants your blood-"

"Why? Why is he doing this? He knows I'll keep quiet! What does he want to accomplish?" I asked frantically running my hands through my hair.

"Riley, he doesn't want you dead. It's either that or he wants to kill you himself. He's got spies watching you. His specific orders were to find you and bring you back alive."

"Wait, you mean he's..." I trailed off.

"Riley, he's found you," Alec stated gravely.

I couldn't breathe. The whole room was spinning and I couldn't think straight. He's found you he's found you he's found you he's found you he's found you.

He wants you dead
He's going to kill you
He's got spies watching you

"Riley! Riley stay with me okay!" Dylan said grabbing my shoulders and shaking me out of my thoughts.

I took a sip of my coke and slowly breathed in and out and repeated the process until I was calm enough to talk.

"What is going to happen now?"

"I don't know. I gave him fake leads but he had other hackers working on your information, I wasn't the only one. He didn't say anything to anyone, just to keep watching you. He's been suspicious of me, I left his hideout a week ago to find you and warn you-"

"Alec! What the hell are you still doing here? If he's got people watching me, then he knows your with me! Alec you're not safe!" I exclaimed shivering at the thought of him getting his hands on Alec.

"Don't worry about me, I'll always be okay. Riley, I don't know when he plans to come for you and I don't know how, all I know is that he's coming and it's soon."

"Why is he waiting? Why doesn't he come now?" I asked taking a gulp of my coke.

"I don't know Riley, you know him better than me. He plans, he doesn't just take irrational decisions. He's planning something, and it's something big"

I leaned back in my seat, processing the information given to me.

He's planning something...but what?

"Riley, be careful. He has a family member down here, I don't know who it is. I didn't stick around to find out who. I don't know if that family member is one of his sources. All I'm saying is trust no one."

Trust no one.

"Is this how I'm going to live my whole life? Running and running until he finally catches me? Am I never going to find a way out of this mess?" I asked Alec quietly.

He sighed and traced the rim of his empty glass, "I'm so sorry Riley, I wish I could help."

"Alec, where are you going to go now?"

Alec gave me a small smile, a hopeful one.

"You would think I'd be done with gangs after all of this, but when you have no one and you need a source of protection that's the safest way to go. I found a new gang just south of here in Orricks. They want a new hacker, theirs is leaving and I arranged with the head to meet up next week."

"So, you're leaving?" I asked sadly.

"Unfortunately, you can come with...if your friend won't mind," he said smiling.

"No, I'll stay here. I would never leave Dylan, not after all he's done for me."

Alec nodded.

"Where are you staying now?" I asked.

"I'm living with this super rich kid. He's pretty weird actually. We're not too far from your school. He's been home schooled and is only going back to school when he's eighteen. Poor guy has been through shit."

"And his parents are fine with some stranger living with their son?" I asked shocked.

"He's here with his grandparents, they bought him this huge apartment and hardly check up on him. I don't even think he knows where they are half the time. He's cool with me living there since I'll be leaving soon, he's also pretty smart."

"How old is he?" I asked sceptically.

"He's sixteen."

"Sixteen! Tell me about him, maybe I've seen him," I said thoughtfully.

"I don't think so. He hardly leaves his room. He's got snowy white hair and I think it's natural, I've never seen that colour hair on many guys over here. And these super blue eyes like ice! He keeps to himself and he stares...a lot.

He's a pretty weird guy, but a nice one. He's not rude but not someone you would just randomly approach. Yeah, he's a good roommate," Alec said smiling at the thought of his roommate.

"When are you leaving?" I asked him.

"Monday, I've got to leave before he finds out I've been down here trying to watch out for you. I'm sorry I can't stay. I wish I could-"

"No," I cut Alec off, "you need to think of your safety before mine. You're already sacrificing enough by coming here and warning me."

Alec smiled at me.

•••••

"Promise me you'll take care of yourself?" I asked Alec while we were standing outside my apartment.

"I promise. Promise me you'll be careful?" he asked.

I nodded and pulled him into a tight hug, knowing this was probably going to be the last time I'd ever see him.

"Maybe when everything's okay, I'll visit you." Alec suggested.

"I'd love that," I said laughing.

Alec smiled at me and gave me one last hug, before walking away and into the elevator.

I walked into my apartment and grinned at Dylan who was doing some work on his laptop.

"So, I saw Alec today," I said cheerfully.

Dylan looked up and furrowed his eyebrows.

"The hacker from his gang?"

"Yep, that one."

"What did he say?" Dylan asked shutting the screen of his laptop and giving his full attention to me.

"You remember the guy that was following me? Turns out it was Alec trying to get a hold of me, who would have known!" I nervously laughed, "so, I guess I better get to the point."

I took a deep breath.

"Alec told me that he knows where I am and that he's coming for me but not right now. He's waiting for something but he wants me alive and he has a family member here, but Alec doesn't think he knows anything about me or is helping him."

I stood there trying to determine Dylan's reaction.

Dylan got up and started to walk in the direction of our rooms.

"Where are you going?" I asked walking behind him.

"To pack. We're leaving I'll call your school tomorrow when we land. I'll say there were last minute arrangements or something along the lines."

"Leaving! Where? Dylan wait!" I exclaimed grabbing Dylan's hand and spinning him around so that he faced me.

"Canada, I've got some friends there who owe me a favour. They'll take us in until I find an apartment. We'll find a new school for you too-"

"No! We can't leave!" I exclaimed hysterically.

"Riley, if we don't leave you are going to die."

"Dylan, don't you see? This is what he wants! He wants us to run, he wants to chase us until there's no where left to run! He's never going to stop! That's why he's been waiting, he's known where we were all along. He's not planning anything, he's controlling the game!

He's known me and Alec were extremely close friends and Alec hated it when he hurt me. He's purposefully let Alec in on his plans because he knew Alec would find me and tell me. That's why he hired extra trackers to find me!

He doesn't have a plan! His plan is to chase me and wait until I surrender!" I exclaimed watching Dylan's face.

"It doesn't matter. I'm not sitting around and waiting for some psychotic murderer to kill you when I could have saved you! We are leaving Riley, I'm not a fool. Only fools wait around to get killed, I'm not letting you die," Dylan said angrily.

"But this is what the we've been waiting for! This is why you're teaching me to fight! We can do this Dylan! We can take him down, we don't have to run. If we just-"

"No!" Dylan exclaimed cutting me off, "there's only two of us and he's got a whole gang of trained hitmen, trackers and fighters better than any you've ever seen in fight club. We are nothing compared to them!"

"Alec said that he told his spies to watch me but keep me alive. He either wants to kill me or just torment me! He plays mind games Dylan. This suspension and game of chess is enough to make anyone go insane!" I exclaimed trying to explain to Dylan why we should stay.

"Riley, I don't actually care about what he wants. What I care about, is keeping you safe and standing here arguing about this isn't helping. Go pack your bags and let's go," Dylan said through gritted teeth.

I've never seen Dylan this mad or worried. He looked like he'd kill anyone to keep me safe. He probably would, I didn't deserve him. He didn't deserve to be put through this.

"Riley, you're all I have left. I let Elisa die because I couldn't protect her, and I am not going to let that happen to you."

"Dylan, please trust me. We can do this. I can't run anymore. I can't keep this up. Please Dylan, please listen to me," I pleaded with him.

"Alright fine. If we did happen to stay and he did have to show up and I wasn't there? If he took out a gun and just fired a bullet at you? Then what Riley?" Dylan asked furious now.

"That won't happen! Dylan listen to me, I won't ever be alone. You know he already has issues with the cops. If I'm surrounded by people daily, he wouldn't dare try to hurt me."

"Really? Riley, are you even listening to yourself? Have you gone insane?" Dylan asked shaking my shoulders.

"No, I haven't! Alright, if we did run and he had to find me again and Alec wouldn't be there this time because he's going to Orriks in two days, it would be the same thing. Except then, we would have no one to warn us now would we? We'd be clueless and it would be perfect for him!" I exclaimed crossing my arms over my chest.

"So, what do you want me to do Riley? Risk your life by staying in this town?" Dylan asked mirroring my stance by crossing his arms over his chest but he looked more intimidating with his biceps bulging out of his tight shirt.

"What I want you to do is trust me. Continue your life as if we never heard anything about him knowing where we are," I held my hand up to prevent him from interrupting me, "move out on Monday as if nothing changed, continue training me and live normally."

"How is that going to help?" Dylan asked clenching his jaw.

"This way, he won't get his thrill out of our anxiety. It would force him to find me faster, which would allow us to attack him and take him down faster."

Dylan narrowed his eyes and I could see the gears turning in his head.

"Alright, I'm not saying it's a good plan. But it's better than running and not knowing when he'd know or if he already knows."

I let out a breath I never knew I was holding and wrapped my arms around Dylan's waist.

"You're making me seem so weak Riley. Wait around for trouble to find you, that's not me. I can't loose you Riley. You're like my little sister, the only family I have, the only person that would make me give up my life for. I can't let you go, I won't let anyone take you away from me," Dylan said wrapping his arms around me tightly as if I would float away if he let go.

Dylan's words scared me. I didn't want anyone else dying for me. I wanted to protect him. I wanted to keep him safe, he was my only family left. He was like my older brother, he kept me sane and made me insane. I didn't want to loose him either.

"We need a plan."

•••••

My brother (well he's my cousin but I call him my brother)  told me he'd sell me for weed.
Thank you for reading my chapter! : )
-Grayx

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

928K 25.2K 60
"What are you doing here?" I ask but it comes out as a sob. I don't want him, or anyone for that matter, to see me like this. I'm a wreck. Wyatt does...
72.1K 3.3K 31
Little did she know that her life will bloom again on a Spring Day.
896K 19.6K 63
COMPLETED NOT EDITED Elly isn't shy. She is smart, troublesome and loud, but a good way. She's basically a tomboy, loves playing spor...
17.4K 160 50
Αιlαɴα Нαrrιѕoɴ ιѕ α нαvιɴɢ тнe тιмe oғ нer ѕlυммιɴɢ ιт wιтн нer вeѕт ғrιeɴdѕ reαlιzιɴɢ ѕнe мαy вe ғαllιɴɢ ғor oɴe oғ тнeм. Αιlαɴα ιѕ αғrαιd тo ѕнe'l...