Warriors: The Prophecy (Book...

By Labeester

The life of adventure: becoming a Warrior! But something dark is hiding in the shadows, haunting four cats wh... More

Allegiances
Prologue: The Howl
Chapter One: A First Glimpse
Chapter Two: Training
Chapter Three: Trust
Chapter Four: ShadowClan
Chapter Five: The Third Cat
Chapter Six: Betrayal
Chapter Seven: Grieving
Chapter Eight: The Barn
Chapter Nine: Hatred
Chapter Ten: Mothpaw
Chapter Eleven: My Destiny
Chapter Twelve: The Darkness
Chapter Thirteen: Whiteberry
Chapter Fourteen: DarkClan
Updated Allegiances
Chapter Fifteen: The Fourth Cat
Chapter Seventeen: ThunderClan
Chapter Eighteen: Morningkit and Graykit
Chapter Nineteen: Nine Lives
Chapter Twenty: My Deputy

Chapter Sixteen: The Beginning

4 2 1
By Labeester

CHAPTER 16

The camp looked almost fine. The apprentice's den was wrecked and the fresh-kill was gone, but Russettail sent out WindClan's finest hunters, Shadeclaw, Cinderleaf, Whitefang, and Moonfall, on a hunting patrol while Reedstar led Cherryheart and Shrewclaw to the DarkClan border, leaving the rest of us to fix camp.

Russettail told me to get rocks and fix the fresh-kill pile and I did as he asked, carefully setting rocks in the middle of camp to make the fresh-kill pile and then getting out my claws and digging a small indent in the ground.

I knew my brother would be proud of me for getting my warrior name. I gave him one as well: Pineheart. He would've loved it, but that hole swallowed him up by the DarkClan border and StarClan took him.

Dawnpool and Mothflower approached me slowly, glancing at each other awkwardly. They looked at me.

"Greetings, Whitefoot!" Mothflower purred while Dawnpool growled something I couldn't hear to her. "W-we need to tell you something..." They were acting weird.

My ears pricked with interest. A day before the battle and all I could think about was those fleabags squashing my neck.

"You're in a prophecy. StarClan sent me a sign. An apprentice in a fire, her leafy-green eyes flashing at me..." Dawnpool mewed nervously and glanced at Mothflower who nodded. "Three will become Four or Darkness will rule."

A prophecy? Me? What can I do that's so special? Have they both gone crazy!? I thought silently, looking at them wide-eyed. "Who's the other cat?"

Mothflower spoke up before Dawnpool could, "Russettail. He's just busy with the camp." Her hazel eyes didn't give away anything, but I could feel a strong emotion of sorrow coming off her and from Dawnpool, pity.

I wanted to growl at them, to back off and go away, but I knew better. Although Pinepaw died, I was still strong. "We're supposed to be the heroes against DarkClan, right?" I rolled my eyes lightly.

They both nodded and Russettail padded up, his broad shoulders and rippling muscles made me feel jealous because how small I was.

"What they say is true. Will you help us defeat DarkClan?" Russettail asked, his head held high as if he was proud of me, a small she-cat that was almost disappointed in herself?

The emotion of pride and care came off his pelt. "Yes, I will," I told them quickly, gazing at Russettail. As they all began to smile I could feel myself inching towards Russettail, feeling my pelt brushing his a little, I purred but he looked down at me with uncertainty.

Moonfall padded up, eyeing me with annoyance. "Russettail, Whitefang needs help with this bracken..."

While Russettail was talking, I watched my sister. She was quite beautiful: her dark gray pelt shining in the sunlight making her seem a little blue while her light blue eyes shined with happiness even though anger and disappointment came off her pelt.

"Whitefoot?" Moonfall made me shake my head and look around, noticing Dawnpool, Mothflower, and Russettail walked off.

I felt disappointment and then tilted my head. "Yes, Moonfall?" I asked with stubbornness in my voice, irritated she'd ruined my moment with Russettail.

"You know how much Russettail means to me!" she growled softly. "Don't do this to me..." Her voice held a plea.

My eyes darkened and I felt myself struggled not to yell. "Fine! Just don't blame me if I moon over him..." I turned around and looked at the sinking sun. I had been mooning over Russettail since we were kits, but he never noticed me. He only noticed Moonfall.

Reedstar padded in camp, Cherryheart, and Shrewclaw all carrying rabbits. They set them down on the fresh-kill pile, where rabbits were already starting to pile up since Moonfall, Shadeclaw, Cinderleaf, and Whitefang were back.

I padded to the warriors den and slipped in, laying in the nest in the corner I curled up, my heart pounded about tomorrow's battle.

I closed her eyes, focusing, I could hear a rapid heartbeat somehow and it sounded like Moonfall. And another next to me, a little slower but I knew it was Russettail. It seemed to get farther away and I knew they were going outside of camp. I'd been able to hear these heartbeats since I was born. It was natural now.

Moonfall hasn't won yet! Russettail can still be mine... I thought with anger and then caught sense of a mind racing with thoughts, not able to read them. They got closer until the cat entered the den and laid somewhere in the middle. I opened an eye and realized it was Whitefang.

Shaking my head, I stopped thinking and everything got quiet, feeling the den move a little I knew everyone was coming inside to sleep. And soon all I could hear was the sound of a nearby cricket until I fell into a deep sleep.

***

The clearing was busy with cats: Whitefang and Flowerwhisker gulped down a rabbit while Shrewclaw was talking to Dawnstripe and I could tell she was nervous. I felt my head get a little dizzy and I padded to the fresh-kill pile and gulped down a rabbit quickly.

It didn't taste like anything. My paws went numb and I forced myself to sit down.

"First battle's always rough, huh?" Cinderleaf's voice made me jump to my paws and I swallowed.

Everything seemed to slow down a little. "Y-yeah... I'm terrified. I have to verse DarkClan head on while you guys get to remain scratch-free for a while," I spit out, my heart pounded. I breathed quick little breathes.

Moonfall padded towards me as Cinderleaf was called over to Dawnpool. "I'm sorry about yesterday... With Russettail. He and I are mates now! Aren't you happy?" my sister purred.

I let out a hiss. "I have to worry about a battle you or I might not walk away from!" I also have to worry about a prophecy! I added silently, but wouldn't dare tell my sister. This was the first time I was more important than her.

She looked taken aback by my statement. "You're right..." she muttered. "Sorry." Her eyes shone in hope but her heart said to run.

Letting out a sign, I shook my head. "I'll see you after the battle," I promised, then waved my tail, seeing Reedstar gather the patrol at the entrance and walked towards him.

"Russettail, come at sunhigh and be ready to fight," Reedstar ordered.

Whitefang was beside me and I could hear Moonfall and Flowerwhisker behind me while Shrewclaw was at the front with Reedstar and we raced out of camp, Dawnpool and Mothflower following at the sides.

We raced out of camp as the deputy nodded, yowling a good luck after we raced towards Fourtrees, the trees already visible as we neared the step.

Everyone's heart pounded and deep inside held the terror I knew we all had, but on the outside it was covered in courage. We'd need something bigger if we were to survive.

When we'd reached Fourtrees, Bluestar, Crookedstar, and Pikestar were there with their warriors with them: Brackenfoot, Hollyflower, Poolcloud, Goldentooth, Littlebird, Stonetail, Sagewhisker, Brambleberry, Graypaw, Rippleclaw, Cedarpelt, Lilystem, Voleclaw, Beetlenose, Fallowtail, Tanglewhisker, Smallear, Thrushpelt, Windflight, Dappletail, Patchpelt, Honeystorm, and Tawnyspots were all waiting with the same worry the WindClan cats had.

The medicine cats met up and went to opposite sides of the clearings, herbs in all their jaws, while the leaders made us form a line while they lined up in front of us, beside each other, waiting and watching.

Goldenstar entered the clearing, Shrewsplash following after with Windfeather and the rest of his Clan behind him, their claws out besides three cats that looked at least six moons, maybe less. They were definitely too young to be fighting.

Everyone was terrified. I could tell by their pounding hearts and their spinning heads.

"Are you ready to surrender to DarkClan and become a powerful Clan together?" Goldenstar asked, his voice echoing in the clearing.

Reedstar stepped forward, his eyes narrow as he calmly said, "No. We will never join your Clan. Half of the cats here are wishing they could run." Reedstar looked at the three cats that were cowering up against a she-cat named Daisywing.

Goldenstar's eyes narrowed. "Very well. If you wish to fight me, you will." He let out an ear blasting yowl, "DarkClan, attack!"

Cats rushed into battle and I tackled a dark gray tom. I could feel my claws slice through his pelt and I instantly kicked him in the face.

I felt his blood on my claws and then I ripped at his ears as he got my stomach and I could feel the blood, but I knew I couldn't stop as I tried to jump over him. Tut he was smart and tackled me mid-air, we fell into a light brown tabby tom and Littlebird.

The tabby stood back up and I hit him in the face before he could land a killing blow on Littlebird and then suddenly, me and the elder were side to side, battling the two with ease. I almost felt like we were just one cat, doing the same moves and then we both finished them off by a scratch on the face, making them both flee into the trees.

"Great job!" Littlebird purred with delight in her eyes. "I forgot what it was like to fight... It's been so long!"

I managed to swallow before I replied, "You as well. " I felt myself smile at the ShadowClan elder.

"All the Clans, retreat!" I heard Bluestar yowl and I raced into the bushes beside me as Russettail, Adderfang, Crowtail, and Ottersplash dove into battle with Cherryheart, Littlecloud, Scratchtail, Cinderleaf, Shadeclaw, Foxheart, Archeye, Cloudpelt, Fangshadow, Stonetooth, Timberfur, Owlfur, Shimmerpelt, Softwing, Petaldust, Nightpaw, Willowpaw, Birdsong, Sparrowpelt, Robinwing, Fuzzypelt, Speckletail, Whitestorm, Leopardfoot, and Mumblefoot all at their heels.

Stonetail darted to me and had me lay on my side while he examined my scratch.

"Chamomile, Cobwebs, and Sorrel Leaves!" Stonetail called and walked over to Cedarpelt who lifted up his paw.

Mothflower padded up to me, herbs in her mouth. she shoved a small white flower in my mouth and I swallow, then she chewed up to Sorrel Leaves and applied it to my stomach, which stung a little, then she put to Cobwebs over my stomach and I sat up.

"Is it bad out there?" she asked, peeking out of the bushes to get a glimpse.

My eyes flickered to her worried face. "Not that bad. A lot of other cats out there and they distract me..." My tail flicked. "The DarkClan cats are scared of Goldenstar."

The young medicine cat nodded. "I would be too. Plus, Dawnpool went out to fight." She looked scared for her mentor and I knew why.

"Dawnpool can handle herself," I promised. "You just worry about all these cats you have to heal."

While Mothflower was talking I focused on Brackenfoot who was in a lot of pain, just waiting to get treated last. He had a scratch on his neck that was bleed a lot, in fact all over his pelt, soon he'd faint and we needed him in the fight.

"Brackenfoot," I mewed to Mothflower, "has a large scratch on his neck that needs your attention now."

She looked at him and her eyes widened, then she grabbed some herbs and started to yell at him to lie down.

Turning away, I looked at the cats fighting. Russettail was sneaking the three small kits and another she-cat I didn't recognize, into the bushes where I knew he was helping them escape while a white she-cat was fighting Adderfang, Crowtail and Ottersplash were fighting Goldenstar, claws flashing and teeth ripping.

But my eyes flickered to Dawnpool who was chasing away a tortoiseshell she-cat that was dripping with blood.

"How can I help?" A young dark brown she-cat was suddenly next to me and Reedstar was walking towards me with concern.

"Who's this?" he called and looked at her with concerned eyes.

The she-cat flicked her tail at me not to talk. "I am Katarina. Nice to meet you... Reedstar, is it?"

My leader nodded and looked at me. "How can we help you Katarina?"

"I wish to fight with your Clan. DarkClan has been tormenting me for far too long, Reedstar," she mewed with a slight accent in her voice.

Reedstar hesitated but nodded firmly. "As you wish, Katarina."

She slid into the clearing excitedly.

Reedstar's pelt held hope and happiness while his heart said fear. But he couldn't be that afraid to die, he was tough.

"LeopardClan, attack!" Crookedstar screeched and everyone, but the medicine cats, jumped into the clearing, fighting with all they had left.

I was in the clearing and I lashed out a someone with a rouge smell and another and another until I was beside Hollyflower who nodded at me and we got on our back paws and began to fight back to back, taking down cats easily with a couple swipes of a paw.

With the four Clans fighting as LeopardClan, DarkClan stood no chance and they had started to thin out.

As I switched sides with Hollyflower and hit a tom I think's name is Rainwhisker, I laughed and hit another DarkClan cat and then soon I was taking down DarkClan with Hollyflower.

"Whitefoot!" Dawnpool suddenly screeched and I turned to see her surrounded by the enemies, backed into a corner.

I lunged forward and landed on one, pushing him out of the way and I jumped on another, and another, every time pushing them back until I could lash out at all off then and rip at their ears then, finally, biting them so hard they ran with terror. Dawnpool helped me push them back.

Facing her ,I purred with delight. "Whitefoot at your service!" I told her and then turned to see she was staring at Goldenstar who was watching the Clans from the Greatrock.

"We have something to finish," she snarled and raced up to the rock and jumped, landing in front of him. I could tell she challenged him and then, suddenly, they were fighting. Dawnpool scratched the side of his face while he screamed and hit her side.

Brambleberry pulled me inside a bush suddenly and then gasped. "Thank StarClan, I pulled out a cat with some sense!" she breathed.

My head tilted and without commanding myself to, I talked, "What's wrong?"

The RiverClan medicine cat looked at a two bodies on the ground. One was gray she-cat, though she was almost blue, and the other was a mottled brown tabby tom.

"Adderfang and Bluestar," I said quietly. "A-are they...?"

Brambleberry sighed and then cut me off, "Dead? Yes. But StarClan sent me a sign: it's a sandy bank and there's a cat that blends in well with the sand. So, who is it?"

I looked out into the fighting. ThunderClan cats were easy to spot due to their unusual pelts and I spotted Robinwing, Dappletail, and Thrushpelt easily. Thrushpelt! He was sandy like a bank and I turned back to Brambleberry.

"Thrushpelt!" I purred. "Thrushpelt is ThunderClan's new leader."

Her eyes widened in surprise that I figured it out so fast. "You're right! He is a sandy color. Thank you, Whitefoot. You may get back to fighting, and may StarClan be with you."

Entering Fourtrees once more, I glanced around until I spotted Dawnpool, who was bleeding heavily and walking towards the edge of the Greatrock with Goldenstar easily taking her down.

Suddenly, she slipped off the Greatrock and everything turned into slow motion.

Mothflower was racing towards Dawnpool as she hit the first rock and then smacked into the ground, not moving, just a lifeless body and I couldn't sense a heartbeat from her.

Russettail was fighting two cats as I raced to him and he batted them away, looking at me, he grinned. "What do you need?"

"Bluestar and Adderfang are dead. Thrushpelt is going to take ThunderClan over because StarClan sent Brambleberry a sign." A weight dropped in my stomach when I realized now was the time to tell him about Dawnpool. "A-and Dawnpool... Has join StarClan. Goldenstar killed her." I gestured over to the Greatrock.

His eyes widened and he let out a loud, terrible yowl that made the clearing tremble with fright. "I must end this!" he snarled and then leaped away and I saw Mothflower looking at us with a concerned face. I knew she was confirming her mentor's death. And I knew I had lied to her. Promising Dawnpool would be alright, and she wasn't.

The Four were gone and that left us: the Three. We could finish this battle, Dawnpool would be missed dearly, the she-cat who tried to end the DarkClan fight but failed and resulted in ending her life. But the Three still remained and this would end now: Russettail was handling it. It was his destiny.

I let out a screech that got everyone's attention, and then Russettail made his move, lunging at Goldenstar.

He took him to the ground where the leader bled heavily and he squirmed around but Russettail bit down hard into his throat and Goldenstar kicked at his left back leg. I felt a sudden pain and Russettail's heartbeat quickened. He'd broken his back leg.

Laying down, I took deep breaths and closed my eyes, focusing on Russettail. I tried to make the pain stop hurting me, but I must've took all his pain and gave it to myself because I felt a pain that was unbearable.

Mothflower was suddenly next to me, shushing me and calming me down and I wanted to thank her, but I couldn't.

Russettail was standing over the lifeless body of Goldenstar. His heartbeat was gone and he was as cold as a Leaf-bare morning. Though Dawnpool seemed to regain her heartbeat and her warmness seemed to flood back slowly. Even though it was impossible, she couldn't be alive, I watched her die. I shook my head and suddenly it was gone again.

The deputy was looking at me curiously. "You took away my pain, didn't you? I could tell!" He smiled down at me.

Nodding, I gasped a little. "How did you do that? Know what he was going to do when he tried to scratch you?"

"I read his mind," Russettail told me. "I guess I've always been able to do it, I just haven't realized."

Mothflower coughed awkwardly. "I healed Nightpaw without touching him," she muttered.

Everything seemed to make sense now. "I know what other cats are feeling and where they hurt. I know everyone by heartbeat because I can feel it and read it." I glanced at Russettail whose heart was beating rapidly. "Like Russettail's heartbeat is fast because he's thinking about his and Moonfall's kits."

He flinched a little. "Don't tell anyone!" he warned. "C'mon, let's get home!" Russettail mewed, glancing at his sister's body as we left it in the clearing that was now emptying.

Entering camp was a relief. I was happy to be home and it seemed no one died other than Dawnpool and the two ThunderClan cats. Though the remaining DarkClan cats were in our camp.

"I will be leading DarkClan, yes," Shrewsplash mewed to Reedstar. "But I will lead them far, far away from the four Clans."

Reedstar dipped his head. "Then I hope you have a good life with your Clan." He turned to DarkClan. "If any of you wish to stay here, please speak up."

"I do!" mewed a small voice who stepped through the crowd. It was a large pure gray tom. One of the kits that escaped with Russettail.

Another cat stepped forward. "Me, I would." The she-cat was fat with kits, I could tell by the two heartbeats. One was hers and the other was her kit. "My kits won't make the journey."

"Mousepaw and Sweetheart. Mousepaw is a talented fighter and also a fast runner while Sweetheart is good with kits and is also a decent fighter," Shrewsplash explained to Reedstar who nodded.

"I accept and you both may join. Mousepaw, your mentor will be Shadeclaw," Reedstar purred and nodded at the tom that stepped forward and touched his nose to Mousepaw's nose.

Shrewsplash smiled and then stepped forward, facing WindClan and DarkClan. "DarkClan's new deputy will be Nightfur. He's been with me in all the hard times and I trust him with my life. Before we leave I will go receive my nine lives and name from StarClan."

Nightfur stepped forward, eyes wide as he purred, "I will serve you and DarkClan with all my energy and courage. And when the time come for me to take over DarkClan, I will do so with Pride and lead with the strength of LeopardClan."

A white she-cat I remembered from battle stepped forward. "I'm having Thistleclaw's kits!" she squealed and glanced at Russettail who nodded. "I want Spottedberry to mentor Whitepaw while I'm in the nursery."

Spottedberry smiled at her. "I'd love to mentor her! Thank you, Echofur."

Shrewsplash turned to Reedstar. "Thank you for everything, but my Clan and I do not belong here. We will leave you all in peace and we offer our condolences for Goldenstar's behavior." He trotted out of camp and his Clan followed him. The white she-cat turned back to smile at Russettail before she slipped out of WindClan's camp.

I felt hope flare in my belly and I glanced at Moonfall who was leaning against Russettail, smiling at him. And now, I was okay that Moonfall got Russettail. They were great together.

The battle with DarkClan was over, Dawnpool was dead, DarkClan left, and everything was going to be okay now. Right?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

206K 8.6K 40
Prophecies are works about journeys and saving clans via StarClan's designated cats. StarClan can't predict everything though, right? Sparkfur is hat...
32.2K 2.1K 31
Crazystar heard a prophecy that predicted the rise of the Place of No Stars and has been worried ever since..... Can she defeat Splashheart and his a...
2.1K 24 24
"Beware; an ember blown carelessly through the breeze can engulf the whole forest in flame..." An ominous prophecy unfolds as two kits in EmeraldCla...
2.7K 203 16
Warriors; Secrets of the Shadows 2 Emberpaw is still surviving in ShadowClan after making her promise to StarClan. But Darkstar is still convinced th...