Warriors: The Prophecy (Book...

By Labeester

The life of adventure: becoming a Warrior! But something dark is hiding in the shadows, haunting four cats wh... More

Allegiances
Prologue: The Howl
Chapter One: A First Glimpse
Chapter Two: Training
Chapter Three: Trust
Chapter Four: ShadowClan
Chapter Five: The Third Cat
Chapter Six: Betrayal
Chapter Seven: Grieving
Chapter Eight: The Barn
Chapter Nine: Hatred
Chapter Ten: Mothpaw
Chapter Eleven: My Destiny
Chapter Twelve: The Darkness
Chapter Fourteen: DarkClan
Updated Allegiances
Chapter Fifteen: The Fourth Cat
Chapter Sixteen: The Beginning
Chapter Seventeen: ThunderClan
Chapter Eighteen: Morningkit and Graykit
Chapter Nineteen: Nine Lives
Chapter Twenty: My Deputy

Chapter Thirteen: Whiteberry

4 2 1
By Labeester

CHAPTER 13

I looked at Reedstar carefully. His eyes were clouded in confusion, but he didn't seem as lost as I thought he would be.

"So now this Clan, DarkClan, is this Darkness Mothpaw told me of? And they're supposed to be a bunch of rogues clustered together by LionClan's old leader?" Reedstar was nodding slowly, as if processing the whole thing..

Russettail let out a huff. "Yes. Shadeclaw was going to be their deputy until he realized he didn't want to be part of a rogue Clan because he knew they wouldn't follow the warrior code, Goldenstar never did. Only that Clan has been trained by the Dark Forest..." Russettail looked guilty, shifting his paws and not meeting the leader's eyes.

"What is this Dark Forest you speak of?" Reedstar blinked at his former apprentice.

"A place where all the bad cats that have been declined into StarClan go... Tigerstar, Silverhawk, Mapleshade, Antpelt and several more get trained there, the Clan cats too. They seem to have recruited DarkClan members. I think they want them to take over the Clans, making them all be one: DarkClan," Russettail mewed, his eyes narrowed with pure hatred.

Mothpaw mewed quietly, "How do you know all this Russettail?"

"I was once a victim of them." His head fell in shame.

Reedstar seemed surprised. His own deputy falling victim of such horrible cats. "How's Redpaw's training?" he suddenly asked.

"It's going well. He's almost ready to become a warrior. Why?"

"We'll need him for this upcoming battle," Reedstar mewed, hinting at something.

His ears pricked in excitement. "I can have him do his warrior assignment now!" He exited the den and Mothpaw followed after.

"What about the other Clans? We should tell them." I flicked my tail. I especially wanted the other medicine cats to know.

"I will warn them, not about the prophecy, but about DarkClan at tonight's Gathering." Reedstar quickly exited the den and let out a yowl.

I followed him and sat near my den, Russettail and Redpaw were nowhere to be seen but everyone else was crowded around, eager to listen. Russettail must've been very eager for Redpaw to do his warrior assignment. Mothpaw sat down beside me, gazing up at Reedstar.

"Going to the Gathering tonight will be: Russettail, Dawnpool, Mothpaw, Shadeclaw, Whitefang, Flowerwhisker, and Redpaw," he said in a clear voice, giving me a glance as Russettail raced in, Redpaw following after, Russettail giving him a nod. Redpaw had a rabbit hanging from his jaws. "Redpaw, step forward! He's completed his warrior assignment and is ready to become a warrior!"

Redpaw stepped forward, head high.

"I, Reedstar, leader of WindClan, call upon my warrior ancestors to look down on this apprentice. He has trained hard to understand the ways of your noble code, and I commend him to you as a warrior in his turn," he began the ceremony. "Redpaw, do you promise to uphold the warrior code and to protect and defend your Clan, even at the cost of your life?"

Redpaw nodded and then mewed loudly, "I do."

"Then by the powers of StarClan, I give you your warrior name. Redpaw, from this moment you will be known as Redstorm. StarClan honors your speed and skill in battle, and we welcome you as a full warrior of WindClan!" He rested his muzzle on the newly made warriors head.

"Redstorm! Redstorm!" the Clan cheered loudly. He lifted his head higher proudly. Mothpaw was the loudest of them all.

"Instead of vigiling you will join us to the Gathering." Reedstar looked up at the sky as the sun fell in the sky. "Let's go!" Then he raced out of camp.

I fled after him, my tail whizzing out behind me. I felt Whitefang rush up to my side.

Whitefang looked at me with concerned eyes. "Reedstar is getting old. Maybe it's time he retired...?"

I shrugged. "I don't boss my leader around." I jumped over a rock and saw the Steppe.

"I mean, now that Russettail is fully accepted by StarClan he can get his nine lives and name," Whitefang mewed as he continued to race forward.

We passed the Steppe. "He does only have three lives left..." One lost from a dog, one lost from a fallen tree, another lost in battle, one lost in drowning, one lost from Greencough, and the last one from a passing by rouge. Now that he mentioned it, Reedstar did seem a little older than I remembered.

We'd reached Fourtrees where ShadowClan sat, alone.

Reedstar's tail was kinked over his back and we raced into the clearing, mingling around ShadowClan.

Brackenfoot walked up to me. "Is Mothpaw okay?"

I blinked in confusion. "She's fine. Why?"

He shrugged and sighed. "No reason. Just when ShadowClan tried to take your kits she looked... Terrified."

"Where's Sagewhisker?" I looked around, trying to see the older medicine cat. "She isn't dead, right?"

Brackenfoot gaped at me. "StarClan, no! Don't tell anyone but we have a little rat poison going through our camp. She had to stay behind to help."

RiverClan raced in, Crookedstar's face full of sorrow, Ottersplash following behind him, no signs of Mudfur.

Brackenfoot gave a growl at Timberfur as he passed by. Timberfur grinned.

"What happened to them?" I asked in complete awe as I saw the scratches and bite marks covering their pelts.

"They attacked us," Brackenfoot replied bleakly. "We tore them apart. It was their own fault for thinking we'd crossed the border. If we were going to cross a border it wouldn't be RiverClan's." He rolled his eyes.

"I think I know who did..." I nodded to myself, knowing it was okay to tell Brackenfoot. "This rouge Clan is forming behind WindClan territory. They call themselves DarkClan. It was them, I know it was!"

Bluestar raced in, letting out a yowl as she jumped on the Greatrock. "This will begin now!"

The leaders looked at Pikestar as he began to speak, "ShadowClan is doing well after the attack of RiverClan, thinking we'd crossed the border."

"You did cross the border!" Crookedstar growled.

Pikestar shook his head but didn't reply to him. "We have plenty of prey as this Leaf-bare ends." He nodded at Bluestar.

"Thank you, Pikestar. I hope your warriors are okay. ThunderClan has had a small problem with the twolegs coming back but we're managing just fine. Lots of prey and plenty of kits," Bluestar purred. "Go ahead Crookedstar."

He stepped forward, head high with pride but I could see a scar along his neck. "In the attack of ShadowClan after they'd crossed the border several times, one of their warriors killed Mudfur. I've named Ottersplash my new deputy."

"Ottersplash! Ottersplash!" the Clans called out besides ShadowClan who were bristling towards the RiverClan cats.

Crookedstar stepped back and Reedstar stepped forward. "Shrewclaw has had three healthy kits, Moonkit, Whitekit and Pinekit. Dawnstripe is expecting kits and Redpaw has become Redstorm," he announced proudly.

"Redstorm! Redstorm!" all the Clans called, looking at the younger warrior.

When the cheers went down Reedstar continued, giving me a panicked look. "This passing by rouge has joined our Clan, he is now known as Shadeclaw."

"Shadeclaw! Shadeclaw!" RiverClan and ShadowClan cheered.

"Before we end this Gathering, I have something that all the Clans need to hear," he began. "There is this rouge, Hutch, and he is forming this Clan, DarkClan, behind WindClan territory. Shadeclaw has more information and if it's okay with everyone then he may come up here and share what he knows...?"

All the leaders nodded and Shadeclaw jumped on top of the rock, facing the four Clans with confidence. "Hello, I'm Shadeclaw and yes, a rouge named Hutch is forming a Clan behind WindClan territory. He was once the great leader of LionClan and he is now trying to take revenge on the Clans for kicking them out. He's forming a Clan to rule over all the Clans."

Several gasps came from the Clans as he announced this.

"His Clan is being trained by the Dark Forest, a place were cats go when they aren't accepted into StarClan. Tigerstar, Silverhawk, Mapleshade, and Antpelt are some of the many cats in the Dark Forest. They've found a way to connect with the Clans and they are training them to fight against us," Shadeclaw continued to explain with grim eyes as he glared down at the Clans. Some of them shuffled uncomfortably.

"I think," Bluestar mewed, "that all the Clans should come here, leaving half their Clan to guard their camp, and we should train in two days. And then the next day we'll have the other half. We'll play games and see who's the best so we can prepare for the fight," she suggested.

Pikestar nodded in agreement. "I wish to talk to the leaders about this day. Deputies take your Clans home."

Reedstar nodded at Russettail to lead them home and Russettail raced up the hill toward WindClan territory, yelling, "WindClan get home!"

I raced up to him and Mothpaw followed me. Then Whitefang, Flowerwhisker, Redstorm, and Shadeclaw hurried after us.

We raced home quickly, our paws crunching in the snow.

Bursting into camp Cinderleaf looked up from the rabbit she was eating outside the warrior's den. "Is everyone okay? Where's Reedstar?"

"Reedstar stayed behind to talk to the leaders." Russettail jumped onto the Tallrock and let out a yowl, calling everyone into the clearing, re-explaining what happened at the Gathering. When he finished everyone was nodding at each other, though some looked terrified.

Reedstar entered camp, his eyes focused on Russettail. "In two days the cats going to Fourtrees will be: Dawnpool, Cherryheart, Shadeclaw, Whitefang, Shrewclaw, Moonkit, and Whiteberry. Mothpaw, you will be joining us but looking after RiverClan the first day. The second day you will watch over WindClan. Dawnpool you will come both days and so will Whiteberry. Dawnpool will look after ShadowClan the first day."

"Who's all going the second day?" Cinderleaf asked eagerly.

"Littlecloud, Scratchtail, Flowerwhisker, Cinderleaf, Redstorm, Dawnstripe, Pinekit, and Whitekit. Dawnpool, you are free to do the games but Mothpaw may not." He gave Mothpaw a sorry glance and she shrugged.

"Listen up!" he called as I laid down outside my den. "The games on the first day will be a hunting game, a battling game, and a tree climbing game. The second day will be a racing game-"

I'd stopped listening, my eyes focused on Shadeclaw who was whispering to Mothpaw. He and my 'paw had grown close since he joined WindClan.

Why not be the deputy of DarkClan? Why join such a little Clan that you know no one will fully accept you in? I asked myself as Mothpaw let out a giggle. But Mothpaw... He likes Mothpaw! I jumped to my paws, glaring at him. I looked up at Reedstar who was focused on Dawnstripe, talking about how she doesn't have to do any games.

I padded over to them and hissed in his ear, "I need to talk to you, now."

He nodded and stood and followed me to my den where I stopped and faced him. "You know medicine cats cannot have mates, right?"

"Of course! I would never mate with a-" He paused, tilting his head and looking at me. "Mothpaw and I are friends, okay?"

"Is that really what you wanted to be?" My eyes flashed in challenge.

"Not at first, but the last thing I want to happen was for her to lose her post as medicine cat..." Shadeclaw looked at me evenly, his eyes giving nothing away but sorrow.

My paw shifted but I could hardly trust him. "I don't think you-"

"I'm not done yet," he snapped, giving me a glare. "I care about Mothpaw more than a normal cat should but that doesn't mean I would ruin her life." His head tilted. "I'll let off a little, okay?"

I nodded, unable to speak as he walked to Littlecloud and sat down, listening to Reedstar.

"So everyone get some sleep," Reedstar finished and jumped down from the Tallrock, walking to his den.

I walked to my den, laying down. Was I wrong to challenge Shadeclaw? I closed my eyes and let sleep overcome me.

***

"Dawnpool! Dawnpool!" The sound of tiny paws padding across the den made my eyes flicker open, my dreams fading away as sunlight greeted me.

Kits, I thought bitterly. I let my eyes adjust and lifted my head. "Yes?" I looked at them, each one looking bigger by the second.

"Some cat is here to see you. I think he's from ShadowClan!" Moonkit announced in excitement.

I tilted my head. Perhaps Sagewhisker? "I'm coming.." I walked past the kits and towards the entrance of my den, glancing behind me I wish I had cleaned up the den a little. Who could be here to see me? I thought back to the ShadowClan cats as I came near Russettail who sat in front of the cat, the kits leading me to him.

"Brackenfoot?" I looked at him in confusion. "What're you doing here?"

"I need to talk to you about something..." He flicked his tail at Russettail.

"To my den then?" I glanced at Russettail and padded past all of the questioning eyes.

When we'd reached my den I regretted not cleaning again. Herbs were scattered all over the floor, mixtures were half-done and it smelled like old moss. Hawkheart's scent still lingered in the den.

"What do you want?" I asked, turning around to face the pale ginger tom.

"Are you going to the games?" he asked as he shifted his paws.

"Of course, I have to go both days. Why?" I shook my head at him, hoping he'd just get right to the point.

He sighed and tilted his head. "My sister, Hollyflower, is going to challenge you to battle training tomorrow because she knows we've been talking and she doesn't like it. She will try to kill you, so learn some battle moves to protect yourself."

I blinked in surprise. "Hollyflower wants to kill me? B-but you and I are just friends!"

"She thinks different... Only StarClan knows why." He sighed again. "Just prepare yourself, okay?"

"Sure thing Brackenfoot," I mewed and nodded at him.

"I was never here." He nodded and smiled, then raced out of the den and I followed him out.

Hollyflower has gone insane. I barley like Brackenfoot, why would she want to kill me? I looked around for Russettail and saw him padding towards me, the snow under his paws was melting quickly and I hoped it wouldn't snow during the games.

"I need some battle moves," I mewed quickly. "Hollyflower wants to kill me because she thinks there's something going on between Brackenfoot and I, which is completely ridiculous since I'm a medicine cat."

He gaped at me for a heartbeat. "Of course! Come on!" Then he literally dragged me out of camp to the clearing just outside.

"Alright!" he mewed and turned around to face me once we'd reached the clearing. "This is called back kick."

I nodded at him as he turned around and pretended to kick me in the face, missing my face by inches.

"Russettail..." I mewed, looking up at him uncertainly, "did you learn that from the Dark Forest?"

He blinked at me in surprise. "No! Dawnpool, whatever I learn from the Dark Forest stays in my head..." He swallowed and then whipped his paw out at me, though his claws were sheathed it still stung. "That's called the Front paw blow, then sometimes, if your enemy is stunned, you'd jumped on their back or trip them.."

"Can I try?" I bounced on my paws as Redstorm padded towards us.

"What are you doing?" He gave me a nasty look and then turned to Russettail.

The deputy tilted his head. "Hollyflower challenged Dawnpool for the games... She needs some battles move. Can she practice some of them on you?"

He nodded with an evil grin. "Always welcome." Then he got down low and I copied.

"Begin!" Russettail growled and backed up, sitting down little ways away.

My heart pounded as he darted forward, lashing out his paws I ducked just in time and then twisted, landing on my belly I quickly scrambled to my paws and stood. Redstorm was standing right in front of me. I tried to hit him on the head but I missed and he tripped me instead and pretended to kill me.

"Very good, both of you! You learned the Duck and Twist move, Dawnpool!" Russettail purred. "I think you'll destroy Hollyflower tomorrow!"

Redstorm flicked his tail in annoyance and stalked away quickly.

I watched him. "He'll be okay right?" I shook my head at Redstorm.

"Dawnpool!" Reedstar was sprinting towards Russettail and I. "I need you to do me a favor."

She nodded. "Of course, Reedstar. What is it?"

"I want you to aid Moonkit, Pinekit, Whitekit, Shrewclaw, and Dawnstripe with their battle moves for tomorrow. That is, if you aren't busy," Reedstar mewed with a shift of his paws.

"No, no! I'd be honored!" I flicked my tail at Russettail. "I'll tell you how it goes." I quickly padded into camp and spotted the queens and kits outside the nursery. The kits were playing with a moss ball. I walked to them and purred, "It's your lucky day! I'm going to help you with your battle moves for the games."

"Yay! Yay!" the kits squealed in joy, bouncing up and down in excitement.

I nodded and glanced at the sky as the sun was setting. Tomorrow, I knew, would be a rough day.

***

I paced the clearing, my paws crunching in the snow. We were supposed to leave at sunrise and the sun was coming up through the clouds. Reedstar finally exited his den and everyone going today let out a sigh of relief. We all thought he'd decided not to go.

"Cherryheart, Whitefang, Shadeclaw, Shrewclaw, Moonkit, and Whiteberry get ready to leave for the games. Mothpaw, you'll be taking care of RiverClan and Dawnpool you'll be doing games today." Reedstar trotted out of camp and this half of the Clan followed after.

I looked back at Russettail who was standing in the middle of the clearing. He mouthed, "Good luck," to me and disappeared from sight.

We began to run and I went around Shrewclaw and Moonkit who were at the back of the group with Whiteberry who picked up Moonkit by the scruff.

My heart pounded and I thought of Cloudpool. She'd face that ShadowClan flea-bag with the heart of LionClan! I thought to myself as I pushed forward, dodging Shadeclaw and Cherryheart reaching Reedstar.

We reached Fourtrees where RiverClan sat, mingling amongst each other.

Brambleberry, Beetlepaw, Volepaw, Lakeshine, Tanglewhisker, Fallowtail, Graykit, and Nightkit, I thought, looking at the RiverClan cats below.

We raced into the clearing and ShadowClan entered after us, Hollyflower glaring at me with her haunting green eyes as she entered.

Hollyflower walked up to me as ThunderClan raced into the clearing. "I challenge you to battle training as soon as Robinwing and Shadeclaw are done. We'll be second." She grinned as I felt like I was going to blackout.

"Challenge accepted, " I hissed and then pushed past her.

"Robinwing and Shadeclaw, please report in front of the Greatrock for battle training, your match will begin soon!" Bluestar yowled, from on top of the Greatrock.

The two faced each other, Robinwing was easily smaller than Shadeclaw.

"You're just a dumb rouge!" Robinwing growled, eyes flashing and Shadeclaw's tail lashed. They both seemed furious.

"Begin!" Reedstar yowled and then he turned to Moonkit and Graykit as they were racing after a mouse.

Shadeclaw lunged at Robinwing, taking her down easily Robinwing, claws sheathed, hit her stomach and he jumped off as Robinwing darted forward, preparing to hit the warrior on the head. But Shadeclaw was too smart and ducked then tripped her. Shadeclaw pinned Robinwing and pretended to kill her by biting his neck.

"What was that?!" Hollyflower yowled at Robinwing inraged as Shadeclaw walked away towards the hunting game.

"Hollyflower and Dawnpool, you're next!" Reedstar mewed and then turned to me, his eyes full of hope for me.

I was pushed into the middle by Stonetooth who sat down as Hollyflower walked around the circle of cats. I was sure what to do, I'd never had a fight with anyone before, so I copied.

"You may begin," Bluestar mewed and just by the feeling of the cats surrounding us, I knew they were confident Hollyflower would beat me.

Hollyflower let out a snicker at me. Her long, sharp claws slid out and the evil grin returned to her face. I wasn't sure what happened with her, she and Rusettail were so close, why would she want to kill me?

I refused to use my claws, wasn't it against the rules? Suddenly, she darted forward and I jumped over her, landing on her back I dug my claws in until she collapsed under my weight and hit the ground, hard.

Hollyflower stood up and whipped her paw out at me, hitting my muzzle with her claws. I gasped as I felt blood well up. Now I let myself get angry as I darted forward and she jumped out of the way, but I knew she was going to do that and I tripped her. She hit her head on the ground and stayed down, in shock, for a heartbeat. I could feel the blood continuing to seep out of my muzzle.

This move didn't seem to effect her and she stood up, getting on her hind paws she began lashing out at me wildly, although unbalanced and her technique was weak so I managed to dodge them. She must be really determined to take me down.

I hissed, sick of all the games she was playing, and turned around, putting all the weight on my front paws I kicked Hollyflower in the face with my claws unsheathed and she fell to the ground, scratch marks going across her face. I pretended to kill her and then she sat up, looking confused and angry.

"Dawnpool! Dawnpool!" the cats around us began to cheer, beside the ShadowClan cats who all glared at me, just like Hollyflower was.

I blinked in surprise, feeling myself calm down and walked past the crowd of cats and sat down, my head spinning and my muzzle stinging in pain.

"That was amazing!" Foxheart purred from in front of me, his head tilted and a smile on his face. "You'll have to go against the winner of the last battle to see if you won the battle training or not but that was just..." He trailed off and just stared at me in awe.

I nodded. "T-thanks.." I won against Hollyflower! I beat her! Thank StarClan! I closed my eyes and sighed heavily. StarClan was on my side.

Foxheart purred as his name was called out for tree climbing. "I'll talk to you later." Then he raced away.

"Moonkit and Patchpelt for battle training!" Bluestar shouted and I watched the small kit run around the warrior, purring and batting out at the ThunderClan warrior in amusement.

***

"You're next, Dawnpool," Pikestar whispered in my ear and my eyes flickered open in surprise. My eyes flickered to the battle training and I saw Beetlepaw and Shadeclaw fighting. Shadeclaw was definitely winning.

I'll have to fight Shadeclaw, I thought with satisfaction. He deserved it after getting so close to Mothpaw. "I'm ready," I told Pikestar as I walked to the cats when Shadeclaw pretended to kill the RiverClan apprentice.

"Dawnpool and Shadeclaw are going against each other in the final event of the day," Crookedstar announced as the leaders jumped on the Greatrock, ready to judge.

"Claws unsheathed, scratch and biting is allowed," Pikestar mewed as he sat down to watch and the cats that came gathered around to watch as well.

Reedstar cleared his throat, "Begin!"

Shadeclaw wasted no time, unlike Hollyflower, and he jumped into the air, landing beside me he lashed out sideways, taking out some fur. I took advantage of his positioning and jumped onto his back and ripped at his fur, hoping I hadn't hurt him too much.

He flipped onto his back and squashed me underneath him and I pushed up, hoping to get him off me, I succeed and scrambled up to my paws, trying to hit the top of his head with my paw but he slipped out of the way and I lunged forward, trying to bit his chest but he used my move and slammed his paw onto my head.

I let out a gasped and collapsed onto the ground. I tried to scramble to my paws but he held me down and pretended to kill me.

"Shadeclaw! Shadeclaw! Shadeclaw!" the Clans shouted, jumping around and I struggled to my paws, looking over at Shadeclaw who was smiling warmly at me.

"Very good, Dawnpool. You fight well for a medicine cat." He dipped his head and then walked to Stonepaw who began to patch up his wounds.

Crookedstar let out a yowl to calm the noise. "Pikestar, Reedstar, Bluestar, and I will announce the winners of each event shortly."

I swallowed as cats came up to me, all saying the same thing, "Nice work, Dawnpool."

"Listen up!" Bluestar yowled, getting . "The winner of the hunting game is Honeystorm, from ThunderClan! Second place is Sagewhisker, of ShadowClan! For the climbing game the winner is Volepaw, of RiverClan, second place goes to Whitefang, of WindClan. The winner of the battle training is Shadeclaw, of WindClan and second place goes to Dawnpool, of WindClan! Congratulations to all of you," Bluestar mewed and dipped her head.

"Everyone head back to your camps," Reedstar mewed as he jumped down from the Greatrock and gathered his Clan.

I walked beside Moonkit who was giggling at Shadeclaw's jokes about dogs and badgers fighting.

Despite trying to get killed today, I had a lot of fun. DarkClan flashed through my mind. I needed to focus on the prophecy.

Suddenly I heard a noise, a loud coughing noise from behind me and I turned around to see Whiteberry coughing and spitting out blood all over the snow. She was crouched on the ground.

"Whiteberry!" I yowled and raced to her, examining her wildly. "You only have to walk a little father, please, come on! I have to treat you" I pleaded as Shadeclaw raced to me and easily picked her up by the scruff, running past everyone. We hurried into camp.

He set her down in the clearing as I raced in.

I ran into the medicine cat and quickly examined the herbs I had on my shelf. Chervil and Poppy seeds, then I raced out to her, handing the seeds to Mothpaw who followed me out of the medicine den. I quickly shoved the Chervil down Whiteberry's throat and made her swallow.

"It hurts, Dawnpool," Whiteberry gasped, looking at me, pain in her eyes.

"Mothpaw," I snapped, "the two Poppy seeds, now!" I looked at my 'paw as she shoved the seeds down her throat and Whiteberry swallowed them herself.

She coughed up more blood and laid on her side, taking in rasping breaths.

"Mothpaw get um, get-" I couldn't think, everything was a blur and I remembered Redclaw's death. He was laying on his side and I didn't have anything to help him, I was useless and stupid, my mind went blank and I could breath all I could do was watch my father die as he spoke his last words to me and as he breathed his last breath. I knew it was my fault that he died... I shook my head and shouted out, "Mallow leaves and Marigold! Mix them into a pulp!"

My apprentice nodded and raced to the den, disappearing inside as Whiteberry spoke softly, "Don't waste your herbs on me Dawnpool. We both know this day would come."

"I am not going to lose you," I growled as Mothpaw raced back out, carrying the pulp. I made Whiteberry swallow it and she coughed up some more blood, it was gooey and sticky.

"Stop Dawnpool," she hissed at me and coughed again. "I'm going to die and you cannot stop it!"

I put my head down on her body and I felt a tear slide down my cheek. "No," I whispered. "Please don't leave me..."

Whiteberry let out a purr and she stopped breathing which was when I bursted out into tears.

Something brushed my pelt softly and I looked over to see the familiar large tom.

"Dawnpool, please come with me," he mewed softly and I recognized Whitefang's voice.

I nodded and followed him, past all the cats that were looking at Whiteberry sadly, and into my den where it was still a complete mess and everything was disorganized.

"Thank you, Whitefang. You may go, I can manage." I nodded at him as he sighed and walked out, leaving nothing but dust and snow behind.

I looked around and began picking up the scraps of leaves and dirty moss off the floor and setting them in a pile and then I laid out all the herbs in my storage and shelves, picking out the bad ones and tossing them in the pile.

"Dawnpool...?" Mothpaw was staring at me, wide-eyed. "Do you need help?"

"No, no, I got it... But you could, um, you could taking that pile out of here." I nodded at her as she did what I asked without question.

Catmint gone, a few Poppy seeds, lots of Chervil, Burnet is pretty high and Borage Leaves are great. I'm prepared for Dawnstripe's kitting and lots of Cobwebs for these wounds. I'm going to need some Dock, too... I thought, nodding to myself.

"Do we have any Goldenrod?" Mothpaw stuck her head in, looking at my questioningly.

I glanced around and noticed the few leaves of Goldenrod still on the shelves. "Who is this for?"

"It's for Whitefang. He got a nasty wound on his shoulder" She shrugged as I gave it to her. "And some Cobwebs?" she said through the leaves and I gave some to her quickly.

Not noticing she'd left I put what was left of the herbs on the shelves and the Chervil in the back so they wouldn't dry out as fast.

"Should probably check on Shrewclaw since she had such a long walk today," I muttered to myself and exited the den, heading towards the nursery. I glanced at Russettail and Reedstar who sat vigil for Whiteberry, but I wasn't ready to let her go yet.

I entered the nursery, instantly noting that it needed a few patches in the walls, but mostly I was worried for Shrewclaw who was watching her kits play.

"How're you feeling?" I asked and she looked up at me.

"Fine. Everyone is doing well, except for that wind. Moonkit complains about it. I'm just worried about one of them getting a Cough," Shrewclaw replied with a smile.

Moonkit looked at me but didn't say anything, continuing to play. "How're you feeling, Moonkit?"

She pounced on Pinekit who squealed in excitement. "Just fine!" she purred and wrestled with the tom.

"I'll check in later," I purred to Shrewclaw and then exited the den, turning around to see Bluestar enter camp, a long scar going down her side. Honeystorm and Windflight were limping after her.

"Greetings Reedstar, Russettail." She nodded at the cats and sighed, spotting Whiteberry. "May she rest in peace," Bluestar dipped her head for a heartbeat and then looked over at Reedstar. "I know ThunderClan hasn't asked for help from WindClan,, but this is urgent..." Bluestar glanced at the sky, as if praying to StarClan.

"What do you need?" Reedstar asked, standing up from his vigil.

Windflight stepped forward. "May we borrow Dawnpool until tomorrow at the games? ThunderClan suffered harsh wounds at the games today,"she asked, her eyes full of hope.

"Why not goto RiverClan?" Russettail replied, his eyes turned to me and I nodded.

"Russettail, we will not argue with Bluestar. If they need Dawnpool's help, they need Dawnpool's help. All four Clans must put our differences aside and focus on DarkClan. Besides, we have Mothpaw, she'll do just fine in Dawnpool's absence," Reedstar mewed, dipping his head to the leader.

I padded forward. "I'm here to help."

Bluestar purred to me and dipped her head to Reedstar. She led the way out of camp, her warriors and I following.

Whiteberry's dead.. I felt a pang of sadness as I left her behind in the clearing, my heart falling in my chest.

I felt Windflight press against me. "I saw Whiteberry. I am so sorry," he whispered as we padded through the Steppe.

Honeystorm began limping heavily as we got closer to the RiverClan border, and I could smell them nearby.

Bluestar must've smelled them too because she picked up her pace, but it was too late and three cats approached us.

"Hault!" one of them shouted and I turned to see Owlfur, Lilystem, and Volepaw.

"We haven't crossed your border, Owlfur. You have no right to stop us," I mewed calmly, giving the injured ThunderClan cats a glance. Was RiverClan so foolish to attack us even though they knew about DarkClan?

"Where are you going with Dawnpool?" Lilystem asked with a tilt of her head.

I sighed quietly. "I am going to help ThunderClan." I faced forward. "Keep moving." Then we began to walk past the cats, towards the ThunderClan border. I could feel their stares boring into my back as we padded away.

We crossed over the ThunderClan border and Bluestar broke into a run, the limping cats copied and I followed.

The trees were tall and wide and roots stuck up everywhere. I didn't understand how the ThunderClan cats liked living in these conditions. They couldn't even see the sky.

We neared their camp, the ThunderClan stench almost choking me, and slowed to a walk, coming up to a thorn barrier. Bluestar squeezed through and then Windflight and Honeystorm. I swallowed hard and then jumped on through, making it easily.

I looked around. Cats were all around the clearing, most of them limping or bleeding somewhere.

My eyes landed on Whitestorm who was laying down, bleeding on his neck.

"Where's Featherwhisker?!" I gasped at him and he nodded towards Featherwhisker's den.

I raced inside to see him treating three cats at once. His eyes flickered to me desperately "Let me help!" I grabbed some Cobwebs, Goldenrod, and Poppy seeds, then I quickly exited the den.

Carrying the herbs gently, I walked to Whitestorm and chewed up the Goldenrod and applied it to his wound and then covered it with Cobwebs. And Windflight walked up to me, showing me an infected bite on his leg.

Featherwhisker was handing me Chervil before I had even processed what was happening. I quickly chewed it up and squeezed the juice into his wound then covered it up with Cobwebs.

"Stay in your nest for a few days," I commanded and he nodded, walking away.

I sighed and looked at all the cats we had still yet to treat.

***

Handing the two Poppy seeds to Mumblefoot, I exited the den and looked at the well fed and now decently healthy ThunderClan.

"Dawnpool!" Whitestorm was waving his tail at me and nodded to an untouched piece of prey beside him.

I trotted over and realized he'd caught me a rabbit. "Thank StarClan," I gasped and laid down, taking a huge bite I realized I was starving.

"You worked hard today," he mewed, licking his paw with careful strokes.

"ThunderClan was practically destroyed," I pointed out, taking another bite.

He nodded but was staring behind me and I followed his gaze to Adderfang who was smiling evilly as he watched the Clan.

I looked over at him. "Something wrong?"

"With Adderfang, yes. He seems to hate the peacefulness of the Clans." Whitestorm shook his head and stood. "I'll be going to my nest. Night!" He padded to the warrior den and disappeared inside.

When I'd finished my prey I walked past Thrushpelt, who was healthy enough to guard camp, and nodded at him then entered the medicine cats den, picked a nest and settled down, sleeping like a kit.

***

"Hello Dawnpool," a dark ginger tabby she-cat mewed, looking at me gently.

"W-who're you?" I asked, raking my brain, but she didn't seem familiar.

She let out a laugh. "You don't know me, I am Russetfur. I brought you here to tell you that someone is going to die, someone that you will not and cannot save."

"Who?" I whispered. "Who dies?"

Russetfur tilted her head. "It's someone related to you. When the time comes you must be there for your brother."

I let out a squeal, it sounded like I was in shock but I couldn't tell. Something about Russettail?

"StarClan knows best, Dawnpool." She sighed. "Now I must return back to ThunderClan." The she-cat flicked her tail.

I jumped up in my nest and looked around. Featherwhisker wasn't in his nest.

After I cleaned myself I exited the den to see Adderfang sending Robinwing, Dappletail, and Patchpelt on a border patrol.

Trotting up to him I cleared my throat. "How's the Clan doing?" My tail flicked as I realized that today I'd be going home. I definitely missed my nest.

"Robinwing's tail healed well and Dappletail's eye is no longer swelled up. Patchpelt is still limping but he insisted he go on a patrol. And I will surely not be sending him hunting today," Adderfang replied as he watched Honeystorm bring Mumblefoot into the camp, the elder carrying a squirrel while Honeystorm had a blackbird.

Russetfur's warning made me flinch, but I nodded, noticing how Mumblefoot seemed to shake his head to stay awake. He was getting old.

Bluestar let out a yowl, summoning the Clan, I looked up at her as she spoke, "Featherwhisker, Adderfang, Mumblefoot, Sparrowpelt, Smallear, Fuzzypelt, Windflight, Speckletail, and Swiftbreeze will be joining in with the games. Leopardfoot, Thrushpelt, and Tawnyspots, I am trusting brave and noble fighters to guard camp." Bluestar dipped her head respectfully.

I stood up and got ready to leave. I have to take care of ShadowClan. At least I know Hollyflower won't be there today, I thought with a nod as we trotted out of the ThunderClan camp.

Brackenfoot would be coming to the games, I knew that for sure. My tail flicked impatiently as we broke into a run. We'd passed the Sandy hollow and we were nearing the Owl tree when a giant log was in our way. Bluestar sprinted faster and jumped, making it over it.

Everyone had made it over safely and we continued on, racing past the Owl tree I could see the four great oaks before us.

Bluestar turned to me. "You are taking care of ShadowClan, yes?"

I nodded and looked down into the clearing where RiverClan and ShadowClan sat waiting.

Pikestar, Crowtail, Brackenfoot, Poolcloud, Littlebird, Lizardfang, and Stonetooth, I thought to myself, naming off the ShadowClan cats I had to take care off. Though Stonepaw would be helping me.

The leader gave the signal and we raced into the clearing and wandered around.

"Greetings Dawnpool!" Pikestar greeted me with a smile. "Take care of my Clan well."

Stonepaw trotted up to me, sighing he sat down and watched the sky. "You don't do anything at all," the apprentice told me.

I watched my Clan race in. They were all so ready looking, determination in their eyes like they knew they'd win.

Russettail weaving through the crowd as his name was called for battle training with Adderfang. Interesting choice.

I felt a pang of sadness, once again remembering her dream where Russetfur told her something was going to happen to both of them. Someone was going to die again.

I closed my eyes and sighed. Why is everyone I love dying around me?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9.4K 225 29
*This series is on its fourth book but will no longer be updated as I am doing a heavy rewrite* Each Clan has their own advantages and disadvantages...
4.8K 333 14
Warriors; Secrets of the Shadows 1 Emberkit is the only daughter of Dusktide and Flameheat. She has two brothers, and all three of them have blood fr...
32.2K 2.1K 31
Crazystar heard a prophecy that predicted the rise of the Place of No Stars and has been worried ever since..... Can she defeat Splashheart and his a...