Teardrops of Roses [Completed]

Por UltimateSoul

Previously known as: My Crush, My Teacher, My Rapist. [1st on #ForbiddenRomance 31/08/2019 & 19/02/2024] [2nd... Más

Prologue -
Chapter 1: Old in Town
Chapter 2 - New in Town
Chapter 3: Such a chore
Chapter 4: Rosen
Chapter 5: Stairs
Chapter 6: B Minus
Chapter 7: Play it Vivace!
Chapter 8: Just a short ride
Chapter 9: A trolley of cats
Chapter 10: Photo with the Idol
Chapter 11: Soft Extra
Note
Chapter 12: Sunlight Scene
Chapter 13: Work, school, and piano
Chapter 14: Raindrops. Flooded Carparks.
Chapter 15: Triades
Chapter 16: Unravel
Chapter 17: Balling
Chapter 18: Print these Copies
Chapter 19: Dark Halls and Corridors
Chapter 20: Pancakes and TV Shows
Chapter 21: Lea, she's here!
Chapter 22: Unhappy
Chapter 23: Soft rain on the window pane
Chapter 24: Heart Sickness
Chapter 26: Snake Grips in Auditoriums and Music Rooms
Chapter 27: Purple Flowers in Ashen Moonlight
Chapter 28: You, drive?
Chapter 29: TV & Supply Closets
Chapter 30: School Ball Night
Chapter 31: Tormented Wolf | Asphalt Carparks
Chapter 32: Definition of a Party
Chapter 33 Chains
Chapter 34 Heart Pieces in the Wind
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Epilogue
Author's Notes & Acknowledgements
FAQ

Chapter 25: I hate dress shopping

1.6K 96 16
Por UltimateSoul

C h a p t e r    T w e n t y   F i v e

"It's just up the next floor, I promise!" Mandy drags me by the arm towards the escalator, her other hand full after she'd found her perfect flapper prom dress literally in seconds after flipping through the first rack in the first store. 

I allowed her to take charge and pull me along, navigating us towards the next store that sold flapper style dresses. Whilst I was thankful that she was here to help me take the stress out finding that perfect dress that was apparently 'so important', I also slightly regretted agreeing to go on a day where every man and his dog in the whole town was out celebrating the start of the weekend.

It'd also been the first real time that I'd gone out to an actual mall in years and by the third time I'd been elbowed from people walking past, I was promptly reminded why I avoided it. I rarely ever bought new clothes anyway. 

I was surprised with how well I'd adjusted to being in the midst of the commotion. The crowd inside the complex wasn't too intimidating once I reminded myself that it was pretty much the same as being sardined in the school corridors once lunch had been let out. 

"Boutique... Boutique... Boutique Shimmer! Ah–ha there it is!" We reached the entrance of a gold and glittering shop lined with with racks of dresses with enough sequence, long-frills and glitter to last a lifetime's worth of Hollywood red carpet events. We enter and immediately Mandy begins to combs through the front racks.  I too, approach the racks, however with a lot more doubt and apprehension.

From experience, many of the dresses we'd come across at the previous stores were often sleeveless and short; even when including the length of the frilly bits at the bottom. Being taller, most of the dresses just stopped a little too high up my thigh for me to ever be comfortable with. Those rare few that we found with a good length all, for some reason, had to have the thinnest spaghetti straps and deepest plunging necklines– as if to balance out the modesty; like you couldn't have one without the other! Gah!

In the previous shop I'd reluctantly tried one of these on after Mandy insisted, and once I felt the wind of the air-conditioning vents onto my exposed chests, it was enough to scar me for life. I flipped out and accidentally tore the dress in the zipper section in my hurry to take it off. After that debacle, Mandy finally accepted that I would never wear anything like that again, even if she thought I looked good. 

"Mands... Not this one either." I look in the mirror at the big dress I'd put on with a heavy sigh.  I'd fallen in-love with it the moment I saw it on the mannequin. The capped sleeves and light shimmery white glitter gave it a lovely lady-like feeling that I thought would feel nice. Disappointingly though, while it did looked beautiful and very feminine on the mannequin, on me it was another story. I'd opted to go up a few sizes because I wanted the longer length but in doing that I was left with a whole lot of excess fabric. 

"Show me anyway," she called from behind the curtain while I stepped out, holding all the extra fabric. All of a sudden we hear a hoot of laughter from the stall beside us. 

"Now that's what I'd like to avoid looking like! Did someone bring their great-grandma from the 1950s to life to attend the ball?" 

Turning around, out of the opposite stalls emerged two members of golden trio of our school, Samantha and Melissa. Yep, the whole town really seemed to be out in the mall today.

"Ahem!" Sam cleared her throat loudly and does a twirl in the her dress before we finally noticed. She was wearing the exact same one as I was!

Except the way she and I looked in it was vastly different. Choosing a much smaller size, the dress fit snuggly around her waist with no room to spare, the bottom stopped only a few inches down her thighs. She screamed flirty youth and feminine beauty in the dress with her long slender legs on display for the world to see. I on the other hand, looked like a stick insect wearing a big chewed up disco ball that had been stretched to oblivion on a clothes line and hung to dry.

I found myself sliding back into my stall, embarrassed at my predicament for a second time in just a few days as my confidence sailed away. Especially after Mr Green's house, it seems clothes just don't seem to look or fit well on me and I was starting to feel particularly low in self esteem. 

But Mandy, my dear great friend, was having none of it. "Oh shut up, I can almost see your ass cheeks from here, ya nasties! And flapper dresses comes from the 1920's, dumbasses!" She sniped back at them. 

"You can almost see her butt? Good, let's go even shorter!" Mel slaps and grabs Sam's behind in the dress and they both laugh hysterically. "Woohoo!" Hooting and whistling like they flaunted their bodies like they were in a club while we recoiled away with unimpressed faces.

Sam leans forward and sneers proudly, "at least I have an ass and don't look like a fucking starving jew in my dress!"

My stomach instantly went qualmish from her comment, and I couldn't help but look away. If this had been any other day at school, I would just turn the other way. But since my self image had begun feeling a little delicate again, whatever they said just seemed to have struck a nerve. I knew they were just saying whatever they could to get to me, but sometimes being constantly reminded of your personal battles gets tired. 

"I can't believe my poor brother has to look at that all night!" Sam scoffs for a final time before they return back into their stall, shutting the curtain behind them and continue to cackle inside loudly.

"You. Fucking. Hoe–" Mandy, clearly not done with them yet, reaches forward towards their curtain, ready to pounce. 

Melissa and Sam screamed. "Ew, come at me then! Bitch!"

Ah great.
Before a fight broke out I quickly pulled Mandy back and shook my head at her to let it go. With the other patrons around us suddenly silent, I whispered. 

"Don't worry about them... There's people here, they're watching... ."  

"But I can't let them just get away with that."

I shook my head. Mandy finally notices how those around us who caught our eye, quickly scrambled immediately back inside their change rooms, and I go to change out of what must have been the seventh dress that day, waiting until I heard the girls leave before coming out. 

"Let's just go..." I sulked and give the dress one last look before handing it over to an older looking attendant lady who was handling the returns. From the way her eyes looked, I figured she must've heard the convo bright and clear too.

Mandy's wraps her arms around gently my shoulder and rubs my back. "Don't listen to what they say, okay? We'll find you a dress." I nod as we began to exit. 

"Excuse me." The attendant calls. "Are you alright? I can't help but notice that you were having some trouble with finding a dress. We do have plenty more options."

My face burns from the shame and embarrassment and I nod, keeping my gaze low.

"We're fine. AndI know some of them do fit it's just they're a little bit too... um... the style... is too–" 

"Revealing?" She finishes, taking me by surprise and I nod. "Yes darl, I totally understand what you mean. I'd love to sell more proper dresses, but they just never sell anymore. Only the shorter and tighter dresses do and I have to make a living." The attended sighed heavily as she worked quickly, barely paying mind to her hands as they efficiently rehanged the dresses back onto the racks. "Have you ever thought of altering the dresses you like? I saw this one you had on, it matches your complexion just stunningly. All you need to do is take in the sides." 

"O-oh, well thank you." I blushed, suddenly nervously that I might accidentally say something to offend the lady. It seemed like she was the store owner. "I love it and all, it had everything I wanted but it but I was actually hoping to find one that fit right away because I don't know if I'd be able to afford the costs of getting it fitted. And I want to pay for everything myself without my parents help" 

"Is that so? Well... tell you what, it's really no trouble for me to do that. 30 minutes tops, I'm willing to wave the cost for the alteration." The older lady says.

"W-what?" I stumbled speechlessly. 

"Yes, it'll be thirty minutes tops. No biggie."  She smiled.

I began to shake my head. "Oh no, I couldn't possibly–"

"YES!" Mandy interjects, pushing me aside. 

I stare after her wide eyed. "No–"

 "Yes! Thank you so much Ma'am. Rose," Mandy nudges me,  "would really appreciate that!"

The lady chuckles. 

"Though, it looked like Samantha was gonna wear that same exact dress. Rose, will you be alright turning up with the same dress?" 

I looked down at the gorgeous thing. I didn't mind if we end up wearing the same one, truthfully I didn't think I'd find anything better. If it was fitted right, I think it had the potential. Maybe I could dress it up with accessories or something to make it somewhat unique. 

 "Do you mean the two terrible and incredibly rude blonde girls that were here a moment ago?"

 We nodded with affirmation. 

"Oh, you don't have to worry about that. I wouldn't let them leave the store with them. I am not letting no such ladies wearing my dresses. How rude can people be? They should really watch what they say around others. My own parents had to flee from Germany during the Nazi regime so I took great offence to their comments." The lady pulls the glasses from the top of her head, and calls for a young worker to take over her position with a snap of her fingers. 

"Now come, follow me to the back and into my workroom. I shall take down your measurements."

-

School during the start of next week was real busy again. 
On top of regular classes, there were Ball Committee meetings daily as we got closer to the deadline. Lea's filming crew was also in that week to do some filming, so those of us helping with the ball had to accommodate their needs. There was a lot of run to and fro from shooting locations to offices, to classrooms and to supply closets. 

 Since I was the one who introduced Lea to the school and knew her longer (but I'd argue not necessarily better than the others) I was somehow unanimously appointed as her sort of personal assistant. It was during this time I found out how much work really went behind shooting a show, and I struggled to find the time to eat enough to keep my energy levels high. It was always go go go, it was very exhausting.

Being a celebrity must be tough. 

None of the angles and natural lighting were we shot at were satisfying enough for her and soon I had to borrow a ladder from the gardener to stand on. Not only that, excuse me, I had to be the hold the photo light reflector really still for an ungodly amount of time while they shot the whole scene with multiple cuts. Kids would laugh at me when they walked past and my poor arms were about to fall off from lifting all the gear!

And after barely finishing my homework for the night, I was pooped.
There was absolutely no energy left in me to find time at the piano. I even had to get both of my work shifts at the restaurant covered for the week just to be able to catch up on school work.

The week after rolls around like an absolute drag and I'd started to feel more and more like a post-menopausal old-timer than I was a teen. Everything hurt, and I had a good number of muscle-relief patches on my back to try and soothe the pain. 

I walked in Tuesday morning into my first class like a zombie in automatic mode, aware that I was the last to go in as the bell had already run minutes before. 
"Sorry, I'm late again Miss." I mumbled with a yawn, making my way to the back of the class to find the only empty desk. 

"Mrs Harper. Late again and back to old habits are we?"

My back stiffens in my seat as I hear his deep voice. I look up and see Mr. Green, hands across his chest, leaning on the edge of his desk. I forgot he was back today. Seeing him sent a new wave of electricity jolting across my body as it always did whenever I see him for the first time for that day. 

His eyes were crystal clear, and his smile alluring. 
I almost tripped over my foot. 

Those two weeks without him had gone by quite fast and I had barely any time to stop and think. And seeing him in person now, I was beginning to really wonder if any of that time away had even made an impact on my feelings for him. I was meant to have fallen out of love with him by the time he returned. I shivered warmly under his stern gaze as he lifted himself off the desk to resume to speak to the class. 

 I soon found relief when the lights shut off and Mr. Green pressed play and the movie adaption ofThe Kite Runner book we had been studying all term started to play on the projector screen.  

My head was in my arms on the desk and I had a pencil in one hand, yet ten minutes in and the only note I had made so far was my name. I was absolutely knackered and had no recollection of anything on the screen. I closed my eyes to hear the voices better, yes I'll focus on the accents of the actors, or the tone in which they spoke to better... understand the cultural... 

...

The soft foreign tongue of the dialogue in the movie drifted slowly into the background like a lullaby and I started to doze off... 

-

A small warm tap on my back nestles me awake and I lift my head slightly to the side, straining my sleepy eyes to see what the fuss was. In the darkness of the room, Mr. Green was crouching by my side, his hand still on my back. His cologne made its way close my nose and I melted into my seat at its pleasant familiarity. 

Welcome back... The thought came into my mind as I drifted to sleep once more. I was having such a pleasant dream. I missed y...

His hands rubbed my back again, and I stirred again before finally lifting my head again. I gave him a look through my tired eyes, questioning what he was doing here. I couldn't care less that I wasn't paying attention to the movie when his expectations of me were partly the reason why I was up late at night. I had to practice piano on top of finishing school work, so it was partly his fault. He could yell at me later, after I had this nap that was.

I looked around the room briefly, everybody else seemed to be intently glued onto on the screen as an action sequence of the movie begins. I relaxed slightly and put my head back onto the desk again, and turned to face him. 

"You okay?" He leaned in and whispered. He then lifts his hands to my forehead to check the temperature, and I let him today. I didn't have the energy to attempt to move his hands away. 
He whispers something again, but it was inaudible over the loud action sequence. I blink blindly at him, not really understanding.

Mr. Green moves closer this time, his lips stop just moments from my ears so that I could hear him speak clearly. "Do you want to go to the nurse's room to sleep?" His low voice vibrated against my temples. I shook my head despite battling the sleepiness and stifled a yawn as tired tears moistened my eyes. 

Mr. Green then, in one final movement, inches forward and until our foreheads meet and rest his against mine gently. This must be a dream!I shut my eyes really quickly. I was afraid. 
Afraid how I'd start to feel again if I saw the way he looked being up close. I'd realised how natural his all touches had started to feel, even if they didn't meant to mean anything to him. 

"Stay behind a bit after class today?" His words intruded into my mind, erasing all my thoughts. 

This time, I open my eyes to see his face. His deep eyes were dyed a blue-grey in the dim room and with how close we were, I could even watch the reflection of the movie against the glassy brilliance of his iris. How hypnotising.  

"Okay," I whispered back breathlessly in compliance. 

When the bell rang for next period and the lights switched on again, I packed my bags slowly to allow the rush to dissipate. I walked calmly up to to the front behind the last person, and Mr. Green swings the door partially closed so that his regulars visitors like Melissa and Samantha doesn't come into the room and linger around with Cassie. We turn to look at each other as we close the distance between. His charming right dimple appeared on his cheek as he lifts an eyebrow at me.

I do the same.
Mr. Green was about to say something when the door swings back wide open again. 

"Jaassppy babe, you're back!" We hear Lea sing. She comes waltzing in the room wearing a hot red tailored blazer and places her heavy and expensive looking purse onto a desk.

"Ugh, I hate walking through the hallways when all the kids out are there. How do you do it?" She complains, dusting herself off and flicking her voluminous coils over her shoulder.
"So, should we order–" she stops suddenly and her eyes almost dilates to the same size as her curls as she was clearly not expecting anybody else to be in the room but them. 

Her face instantly turns suspicious as she sees it was me. I greeted her politely even though my patience with her was starting to wear thin. 

"I'd better get to History class, see you both later." I meet Mr. Green's eyes once more and give him a courteous smile before letting myself out the door. He bites his lip with a small frown and watches me leave him and Lea alone. He seemed to be holding his tongue on what he wanted to say, but he doesn't say it. I knew he wouldn't. 

He should thank me for giving them some alone time together.

-

"That's it! I've had enough of Luke giving me the cold shoulder!" Mandy takes a swipe at her salad roll and glares angrily at Luke who was lining up with Max and James Macker at the food canteen. "He's barely sat with us the past few weeks and I even saw him chatting to Jane by the oval. He hates Jane! What's he talking to her for?" 

I put my juice box down. "If you ask me, it seems like you're jealous Mands–" 

"Jealous? Of what? He's meant to be our best friend! What kind of best friend does that? He doesn't even texts his stupid memes and jokes in the group chat anymore. It's only me and you chatting now." 

"To be fair, we're always talking about ball stuff, and how we'll do our make up and hair. And you always tell him to stop with the unfunny jokes, maybe he's finally listening and growing up."

"Yeah, well the last I said that was ages ago. What's his deal anyway? Does he suddenly not want to hang out with us anymore?" She puts down her half eaten lunch and sighs. 

"You know, I think you should really just talk to him." I offered candidly. "Maybe something is bothering him. You know how he is, he doesn't usually open up to people that easily."

Mandy looks at me, her face softens for a moment. "You think something's bothering him?" 
I shrug.

"Who knows. Though, I think I heard from Max that he was thinking of asking Jane to the ball. Maybe he's really nervous to ask?" Okay, this was partly a lie to try and get a reaction. But it was not entirely untrue. Max had told me that Luke was thinking about asking Jane as a date but I doubted that he was particularly nervous about it. He probably had no one else in mind, after all, he'd be gunning on taking Mandy until... well yeah. We know how that went down. 

 And I had seen the way he would look back towards our table each time before he left to the oval with the rest of the boys during lunch. It was as if he was caught in a dilemma, unsure whether or not to come over to sit with us again. And I understood why he never did. 

I had caught him one time last week before class started and he told me that he was hoping a bit of distance between him and Mandy would help lessen his feelings about her. Though, I wondered if like me, he too was also secretly hoping that the other party would realise that they missed us after some time away. 

I look at Mandy and was alarmed to see that she was downing her bottle like a madwoman. 

"Wait Mands, you alright? You might wanna slow down..."

Mandy slams the now empty bottle onto the bench with so much force that it bounces up from the table and fly up into the air and lands into a soup bowl on the table next to us. The poor guy who is now drenched in orange splatter stands up angrily. 

To my horror, I see Mandy standing up too besides me like she was about to square up. Oh boy... I put my head in my hands in embarrassment. Shit.

"Yo, he freaking wants to ask Jane to the ball?!" She shrieks silently, looking slightly deranged for someone who was not meant to care and was supposedly waiting for Mr. Right.

Okay, a reaction I got. 

___~❤~❤~❤~___

Hey guys!
Apologies for any mistakes, I'm writing this late at night and will have a quick read through tomorrow. 

But anyway I think Mr Green misses her. 

Also I'm not too sure if it's clear enough through my story writing, but Rose still obviously has some other issues that she hadn't been able to fully overcome. At least though, she isn't so scared to see Mr Green anymore? ^^ 

<3 

Seguir leyendo

También te gustarán

4.7M 252K 34
Those who were taken... They never came back, dragged beneath the waves never to return. Their haunting screams were a symbol of their horrific death...
9.9M 499K 199
In the future, everyone who's bitten by a zombie turns into one... until Diane doesn't. Seven days later, she's facing consequences she never imagine...
4.9M 169K 78
Sofia is a 17 years old high school student under the guardianship of her step-father. Several weeks after her mother's death Sofia discovers the ho...
1.9M 79.6K 23
(COMPLETED | UNDER EDITING) Fresh out of college, Veronica Odair is hired as a forensic scientist at the infamous B.E.A.R. Laboratories. She is put t...