Clato - I Like Me Better

By clatoshipper101

"I like me better when I'm with you." Clove and her brother Cole never really had a great relationship with... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 3
Chapter 4

Chapter 2

317 2 2
By clatoshipper101

Clove pov
I run up behind him as we reach the pitch and bleachers. I took me a while to reach him because the second he got outside he took off running. I'm faster than him but he had a head start.

"Cato, stop running." He finally turns around and looks at me.

"What, Clove, what do you want?" He half shouts angrily at me.

"Why are you acting out over nothing? What is wrong with you lately?" I ask him. The second i got here he was staring to act annoying.

"Me, it's you who's acting weird. Sarcastic and mean. Why?" I think for a second. He has a point. I have been a bit of a Johanna lately.

"Well I'm sorry that's just how I am." He sits down on the bleachers and I follow. "Why did you get so mad at me back there?"

"I'm frustrated, I've got alot going on right now, Clove." He has his elbows resting on his knees holding his head with his hands.

"Do you want to talk about it?" I ask him with a weak smile as I rub his back to make him feel better.

"My parents are getting a divorce. My grandfather just died last week. You know how close I was with him." I did. I was even close with him. Whenever the three of us would go to Cato's house he would give up a humbug. The man seemed to be made of them because he always had some at hand.

"Well, I'm sorry to hear that. He really was such a sweet, funny, old man." I say to him as he looks up dropping his arms down and looking me in the eye. "Cato is that why you have been so bipolar since we get here?"

"Probably. I didn't notice it was doing that." Really. A few hours ago Cole had clapped his hands at us because we were potentially going to kiss, I think, maybe. Now he's mad at me, I guess in his defence his grandfather really was such a nice person. I already miss him. We.were actually going to go see him and Rosalind, his wife in a few weeks.

"Look, I'm sorry for acting like a pain. It's just the way I am. I'm sarcastic and mean." I tell him looking down at the football pitch.

"You are sarcastic but you aren't mean." Cato tells me looking down at his feet.

"Don't lie to me." I roll my eyes and he let's out a small laugh. "I'm sorry about your parents."

"It's fine. I don't really like them anyway." He tells me.

We sit there for a while saying nothing until we decide to go back inside just in time to see you guessed it Marvel and Glimmer standing in front of Thresh probably telling him lies about me. They're great at that.

"Hey Glimmer." Cato smiles at her. Yes, he genuinely smiles.

I stare at him in disbelief for a few seconds. I notice how uncomfortable Thresh is just sitting there. The tension in the room is so thick even I couldn't cut it with a knife. Glimmer sashays over to Cato and smiles.

"So how are you this morning?" She flirtatiously asks him.

"It's 1 pm." I inform them but get ignored.

I walk over to Thresh and Marvel.

"I'm gonna kill her. Yep, I'm gonna do it, someone pass me a knife." I say sarcastically as I watch the two flirt or should I say attempt.

"Clove calm down." Marvel says as he rolls his eyes.

"Do you want me to cut you. It's like you're begging to be injured today Marvel. Don't be dumb. Please do us all a favour and shut that big stupid mouth of yours. Or I'll do it for you." I glare at him. Nobody in our year is shorter than I am but they are all still terrified of me.

Thresh stands up and the two of us leave Cato standing there with the demons.

"So what's with the knife thing?" Thresh asks as we come up to the cafeteria where the rest of the group is.

"She's been throwing them since she was 6. Ever since we've known her." Johanna tells him.

We all sit and talk getting to know Thresh a little better. Turns out he has a younger sister called Rue about the same age as Prim, Katniss' sister. After a few minutes Finnick stands up and ask to talk to me. We walk out to the school garden to talk.

"Why is Cato texting me about Glimmer?" Finnick asks me highly confused.

"I don't know." I tell him simply.

"I thought that something was going on between the two of you. Now he's texting me about Glimmer?" He pops a sugar cube into his mouth as he says this.

"Why would you think that?" I ask him coldly.

"Because let me remind you of Cole clapping his hands at your faces." Thank you Finnick for reminding me how easily I can get played by one of my best friends who clearly prefers the backstabbing barbie.

"Yeah well I don't like him that way. Sorry." I tell him and myself.

"That right there is full of BS. This attitude right here. That's why he's texting me about the backstabber. That's why he's thinking of asking her out..." He stops talking instantly knowing he wasn't supposed to tell me that part.

"I have to go." I tell him. I turn and run. I run right to our room. I grab my knives and quickly run to the sports hall. This room is the biggest room in the entire school. We all have some sort of weapon skill. That's what makes us all so different. That's what makes out school special. One of our classes is two hours of training per day. I'm not kidding.

I pass the swords. Cato's preferred weapon although he uses lots of different ones. I suck at that. Bow and arrow. I'm better than pretty much everyone but nobody could ever compete with Katniss when it came to a bow, Glimmer is the third best with a bow. She has been having lessons since she was ten. She's four years too late. Knives and bows, I started using those when I was six. Spears. That's Marvels forte. Axes, Johanna. Weights, Peeta, Gale, Finnick and Cato like to compete on who is the strongest the winner is usually Peeta or Cato. Trident, Finnick. Annie doesn't really have a weapon. She's just kinda good at everything. Not really great at anything but always good at it. No matter what it is. Gale prefers to use a crossbow. He used to love archery but now has found a new weapon. He's the fourth best at archery. Thresh told us that his strengths are, well strength and any knife that isn't a throwing knife. He finds them two awkward and small.

I stand by a target and start throwing the knives forcefully at the target pretending it's Glimmers face. Maybe I should give a bit more back story about what happened.

Glimmer and I were always best friends. We never went to the same school so when I all of a sudden transferred it was a surprise. At this time we went to the normal school for normal kids. I threw knives at the time so everyone thought I was weird. Glimmer was part of the popular crowd and decided that, that was more important than our friendship. That gave be abandonment issues because I was only about six or seven at the time. It is also one of the reasons why I am so sarcastic and sadistic. We had been friends for ages and then she just gave me up like I was nothing. Not only that but then to make matters worse she made my life torture. Thank god for Cato, Katniss and Finnick. Speak of the devil.

I turn around at the mention of my name.

"Clove, why did you just run off?" Finnick asks me picking up a trident on his way.

"Because I felt like it." I tell him throwing a knife at the target, hitting it dead centre.

"Clove you need to just admit your feelings sometimes okay." Finnick tries to reason with me.

I turn to look at him. I walk over and place my hands on his shoulders. "Finnick, look at me okay, I'm fine. If he wants to date her he can go ahead. I really don't care." I tell him and even start to believe it myself.

Finnick waits a second before finally speaking. "Okay, I believe you." He turns and walks over to a dummy and starts practicing with his trident.

I wait a second before throwing a few more knives. This goes on for about an hour before we decide to head back to our dorms. We are all supposed to check into school a week early so we have time to sort things, unpack, get to know our roommate, things like that. We talk as we head back to his dorm.

"So, are you feeling any better after throwing some knives?" Finnick asks me holding his hands behind his back.

"Yeah. Actually I do." He nods and a few seconds pass by before I say something again. "Finnick?" He looks up at me. "Do you think I'm mean?"

"No." He shakes his head.

"Do you think I'm a bad person?"

"No." He shakes his head again.

"Do you think I'm too sarcastic?"

"No."

I look down at my feet and think of Glimmer.

"Do you think she's prettier than me?" I ask him looking down at my feet.

Finnick waits a second. He looks at me with furrowed brows. "No I don't think she's prettier than you." I look up at him. "Why do you ask, Clove."

"I'm stronger, faster and smarter than her. If she isn't prettier than me then why did Cato choose her?" I ask him with a straight face.

He places a hand on the door handle and starts to open the door.

"He didn't choose her over you. Yet." I flick on the switch for the light.

"Yes he did." I sit down on the couch as Finnick stays by the door.

I look at him waiting for him to walk over but he never does. Then I notice Cato walk in front the bathroom. He see me and his eyes widen.

"I'll see you two later." Finnick exits the room.

"Finnick!" I stand up and shout. I know he's already left so I just sit back down and fold my arms.

Cato sits down beside me. He runs his hand through his blonde hair and I sit back and sigh. I turn my head to face his.

"Hey." He says with a smirk making me smile a little.

"Hey." I smile back.

"Are you feeling okay?" He asks me nudging a little closer.

"Yeah. Just threw some knives." I say to him as I nudge closer with a sleepy smile.

I notice Cato's eyes dart from my eyes to my lips ever so quickly. I feel like I want to lean in for a potential kiss but then Glimmer pops into my head. He wanted to ask her out. Not me.

I look at the door when I hear a sound thinking it's Finnick, it's not. It's someone across the way but I notice Cato subtly bite his lips and look me up and down. I lean my head on his shoulder and begin to close my eyes. Cato places his arm around me and my head is shifted to his chest. I know that I should get up and go back to my dorm but instead I snuggle into his chest and one my eyes.

After about ten minutes Cato starts to act strange. He must have thought I was asleep because He began stroking my hair and face and began mumbling words I couldn't hear correctly. Then he says something I hear crystal clear.

"You're so beautiful." He looks down again me and smiles as I feel myself falling asleep to his words.

A/N Thanks for reading I've got some future plan to make sure that Glimmer isn't just a one dimensional character. Everyone always rights her off as a dumb blonde but I think that she was a very interesting character. Obviously Clove is still my favorite character in the entire hunger games still. If you guys want to comment who your favorite characters are that would be great.

🍀🔪Clover🔪🍀

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

950K 58.5K 119
Kira Kokoa was a completely normal girl... At least that's what she wants you to believe. A brilliant mind-reader that's been masquerading as quirkle...
342K 12.1K 54
𝐈𝐍 π–π‡πˆπ‚π‡ Ellie Sloan reunites with her older brother when her hospital merges with his jackson avery x ellie sloan (oc) season six ━ season se...
243K 6K 44
❝ 𝖨 π—‰π—‹π—ˆπ—†π—‚π—Œπ–Ύπ–½ π—π—ˆ 𝗇𝖾𝗏𝖾𝗋 π—Ήπ—Όπ˜ƒπ—² 𝖺𝗀𝖺𝗂𝗇 ❞ ── " π—’π—ˆπ—Ž π—ƒπ—Žπ—Œπ— 𝗁𝖺𝗏𝖾𝗇'𝗍 π–Ώπ—ˆπ—Žπ—‡π–½ 𝗍𝗁𝖾 π—Ώπ—Άπ—΄π—΅π˜ π—€π—Žπ—’ yet" ❝ and π˜„π—΅οΏ½...
176K 6.4K 93
Ahsoka Velaryon. Unlike her brothers Jacaerys, Lucaerys, and Joffery. Ahsoka was born with stark white hair that was incredibly thick and coarse, eye...