The Enigma of Erald

By AkoSiIbarra

Meet Erald Castell, an aspiring evil mastermind who ironically joins the legendary QED Club. Cover art by IAM... More

CHAPTER ONE: Pilot
CHAPTER TWO: Dilemma of the QED Club
CHAPTER THREE: East Versus West
CHAPTER FOUR: Start With A Bang!
CHAPTER FIVE: End With A Pak!
CHAPTER SIX: Just As Planned
CHAPTER SEVEN: The Higher Castellan
CHAPTER EIGHT: Deduction Show
CHAPTER NINE: Smoke 'Em Out!
CHAPTER TEN: "High Tower"
CHAPTER ELEVEN: Black and White
CHAPTER TWELVE: Paint It Black
CHAPTER THIRTEEN: An Unusual Request
CHAPTER FOURTEEN: Eraldian Stratagem
CHAPTER FIFTEEN: Turn the Tables
CHAPTER SIXTEEN: Clock is Ticking
CHAPTER SEVENTEEN: Ghost from Four Years Ago
CHAPTER EIGHTEEN: Two Villains
CHAPTER NINETEEN: Restore Factory Settings
CHAPTER TWENTY: Third Person
CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE: Brewing Chaos
CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO: Prelude to War
CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE: The Stage is Set
CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR: QED versus K-OS
CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE: Scandal in Clark High
CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX: The Verdict
CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT: Man With A Plan
CHAPTER TWENTY-NINE: War of the Castles
CHAPTER THIRTY: Withdrawal
EPILOGUE: Mr. President

CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN: Snap

38.9K 1.6K 469
By AkoSiIbarra

ERALD

UNUSUAL ANG pagpapatawag ng general assembly sa kalagitnaan ng linggo, lalo na tuwing Huwebes. Most students do not know why we were gathered in the school gymnasium. But for me and the ad hoc members of the Student Grievance Committee, may ideya na kami kung bakit pinatawag ang mga estudyante rito.

It's been two days since we convened to determine whether the student council president and the vice president violated some provisions of the code of conduct. Dalawang araw mula nang ma-involve kami sa moro-morong pagdinig. The decision was already decided long before we met.

Maliban kay Torry ng K-OS Club, meron pa sigurong isang estudyante na masaya sa naging takbo ng mga pangyayari. My sister Madelaine's ambition to be the next leader of the student council was only a few steps away literally. Nasa steps kasi siya ng stage, ilang hakbang mula sa lectern na may logo ng student council.

"This is the end, I guess?" Clyde appeared behind me, his arms crossed over his chest. "Alam na natin kung ano ang magiging announcement ngayong umaga."

"Their resignation," I spat the word like poison. "Simula pa lang, 'yon na ang end game na gustong makuha ng K-OS Club."

"Have you talked to your sister about it?" he asked next.

I shook my head. I thought of confronting Maddie at home about her devious plan, but I figured nothing would change anyway. "She won this time."

"They can still reject the recommendation of the OSA," Clyde said. "After all, that office doesn't have to power to remove any student officer. Pwede lang silang mag-recommend."

"But public opinion is swaying against the student council," I argued. "Even if they cling to their positions, may iba pang technique ang mga mokong para patalsikin sila. Impeachment. The critics only have to launch a signature campaign and collect at least fifty percent of the total population. Kahit saan mo tingnan, checkmate na 'to."

"Indeed, perception is everything," Clyde nodded. "Kahit na hindi totoo, basta mukhang totoo, papaniwalaan na ng mga tao. I feel pity for Agnes and Bruce. They seem sincere in doing their jobs in the student council."

"Greed is a formidable enemy. In this case, greed for power," I commented. "I never imagined that my sister would play dirty just to get her hands on the throne."

"Pero wala pang assurance na siya ang papalit, 'di ba?" tanong ni Clyde. "If memory serves right, the secretary cannot assume the presidency or the vice presidency because the position is not stated in the line of succession."

"Clearly, no one thought of this scenario," sabi ko. "Walang nakaisip na posibleng mabakante ang dalawang pinakamataas na posisyon sa student council."

Humupa ang mga bulung-bulungan nang pumasok sina Agnes at Bruce. Parang aninong nakasunod sa kanila ang OSA director. I still can't forget the day she rejected my application for the Villains' Club.

May iilan pa ring nagtsitsismisan, pinag-uusapan ang narinig nilang audio recording. The two officers bowed their heads, tila nahihiyang humarap sa mga estudyanteng nanghusga na sa kanila. They went to the stage. On the steps, my sister greeted them with a frown and whispered treacherous words, probably.

Agnes stood before the lectern, gripping the edges. Bruce was behind her. She took a deep breath  before addressing the student body.

"Good morning, my fellow Clark students," she greeted, her voice was cracking. Kahit nasa malayo, kitang-kita ko ang panginginig ng kanyang mga kamay. "I am here to make an important announcement."

Nagbulung-bulungan na naman ang mga estudyante sa paligid namin. Some mumbled the word "resignation," which was accurate.

"This week has been the most challenging since I assumed the presidency," Agnes continued. "I never thought that this day will come. The day where my reputation would be questioned by an unfounded rumor."

Bruce caressed her back as she took a minute to pause.

"I have no idea what I did to deserve this treatment," Agnes slowly shook her head, her eyes welling up with tears. "I only wanted the best for the student body, for our school. Our efforts were unappreciated and our names were being put to a disgrace by God knows who."

Wala naman siyang nagawang mali. Nataon lang na siya ang nakaupo at kinailangan siyang patalsikin sa puwesto ng mga ganid sa kapangyarihan.

"Ilang gabi rin akong hindi nakatulog," Agnes shared. "May ilan siguro sa inyong nagtataka, kung 'di pala totoo, bakit namin pinoproblema? Ang hirap kasi na madungisan ang aming pangalan sa bagay na hindi naman ginawa o magagawa. At aminin n'yo man o sa hindi, may ilan sa inyong naniwala sa tsismis."

Napayuko ang ilan sa mga katabi namin, malamang karamihan sa kanila ay guilty.

"Bruce and I are in a relationship, that I admit," Agnes said. "But never will we consider doing the act being alleged on us. We respect the office of the student council so much. Lucky for me, I have him on my side. We managed to survive the mudslinging."

"But I cannot let our sacred office to be under siege," Agnes cleared her throat. "We called for this emergency assembly to announce to our constituents that I, Agnes Aguinaldo, am officially resigning the office of president, effective immediately."

"And I, Bruce Bonifacio, am also resigning as the vice president of your student council," Bruce shared the microphone with his girlfriend.

"We have already submitted our irrevocable resignation to the Office of Student of Affairs."

Everyone around us gasped, as if they did not anticipate this happening.

"But make no mistake," Agnes warned. "Our resignation isn't an admission of guilt. Bruce and I have decided to step aside with dignity and protect the student council from the further embarrassment which we never intended to cause."

Tumayo sa gitna ng stage sina Agnes at Bruce, at sabay na yumuko. They went down the steps, greeted by their fellow student council officers. Niyakap silang dalawa ng OSA director bago ito umakyat sa entablado at tumayo bago ang lectern.

"This is an unprecedented scenario," OSA director spoke. "Not once have the positions of president and VP become vacant at the same time. Since the Constitution and By-Laws is silent on this matter, I'd like to call all the class and club officers and consult you on how we can sort out this problem. As for the rest of the students, you may now return to your classes."

Nakapilang lumabas ang mga estudyante ng school gymnasium. Kung dati'y nakikipag-unahan ako sa paglabas, ngayo'y sinadya kong magpaiwan. The emergency meeting called by the OSA director would be a crucial turning point on the history of Clark High. My sister must have honed her acting skills because she looked sad about the recent developments. Sa loob-loob niya, tiyak na humahalakhak na siya dahil umayon ang lahat sa kanyang plano. Just as planned, she would mumble.

Sa gitna ng mga nagsisialisang estudyante, natanaw namin sa 'di kalayuan si Charlotte, dala-dala pa rin ang kanyang camera na nagmistulan nang bling-bling. Huminto siya sa tapat namin at ipinakit ang text message na naka-flash sa kanyang phone. Nakasaad doon na pinapatawag ang lahat ng officers. Dahil tatatlo lang kami sa QED Club, we are automatically invited to the party.

"Looks like the future of the student government is in our hands," she said. "Nalulungkot ako para kina Agnes at Bruce. They only wanted to do their jobs."

"If you want to avenge the injustice done to them, there's still a way," sagot ko. "Let's make sure that Madelaine Castell won't be promoted to the presidency. If there's any room for objection, I'd be the first one to raise my hand and voice out my opinion. That's the only way we can get back to her."

"But your sister is quite popular with some officers," Clyde observed, jerking at Maddie who was busy conversing with thirteen students. Ang aga-aga, nangangampanya na siya.

Iginala ko ang aking mga mata, pinagmamasdan kung ano ang mood ng mga kasama namin. Reign Imperial of the execom was only a few steps away from Maddie and was also entertaining some students. He was seen shaking his head as if he was shooting down a suggestion to him.

Dito na makikita kung sino ang mga gahaman sa kapangyarihan. My sister was, of course, on top of the list.

The OSA director approached our group and asked us to settle down on the bleachers. Sa may bandang taas kami umupo para tanaw na tanaw namin ang kilos ng bawat isa. Nasa bandang unahan naman si Maddi. Hindi obvious na atat na siyang mag-volunteer na maging presidente.

"Sorry for holding you up this early," paumanhin ng OSA director. "But we need to address this issue as soon as we can. Hindi natin pwedeng hayaan na bakante ang posisyon ng president at vice president. Someone must lead the student council."

Isang matangkad na lalaki sa bandang harapan ang nagtaas ng kamay. As soon as he was acknowledged, he stood. "The solution to that problem is simple, ma'am. The next president must come from the student council dahil may experience na sila sa pamumuno. Madelaine Castell, the incumbent secretary, is the third high-ranking officer in the council. Common sense dictates that she must be elevated to the presidency."

Those words must be music to my sister's ears. Kunwari'y nagulat pa siya sa pagrekomenda ng kanyang pangalan. Huwag na tayong magbolahan. Malakas ang kutob kong scripted ang pagtayo ni tangkad. My sister couldn't just raise her hand and say, "I volunteer as tribute."

Isa pang lalaking nasa tabi ng ate ko ang nagtaas ng kamay. "I have worked with Madelaine as the council's treasurer. I can attest that she's fit for the position. And come on, her name comes after the resigned vice president. She's next in line."

The OSA director was nodding. That's a bad sign. Baka ma-persuade siya sa recommendation ng dalawang mokong na sumasamba sa ate ko. I can't allow that to happen.

My hand was up in the air. Nang tawagin ng director ang pangalan ko, napatutok ang mga mata ng lahat sa akin. My sister gazed at me with her inquisitive eyes. She should know by now that there's a slim chance I would  speak on her favor.

I cleared my throat before addressing the body. "Recommending Madelaine to assume the presidency just because she's next on the list of active student council officers is flawed. Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the terms of the student council secretary, treasure and public relations officer co-terminus with that of the president? Dahil nag-resign na si Agnes at hindi siya sinucceed ni Bruce, the good secretary and everyone in the council are also considered resigned. They have no right to hold office."

Ano ka ngayon, ate? Ang akala niya ba'y hahayaan kong mapa-sakanya ang huling halakhak? I reviewed our student handbook and the Constitution and By-Laws last night to look for a hole in the system. If she thought that I would sleep on her power-grabbing scheme, she was wrong.

"That is so," the OSA director nodded. "In effect, the student council has been dissolved upon the resignation of the president and the vice president."

Sunod na nagtaas ng kamay si Clyde. I can't believe that I would be cheering for him, but as long as he's going to slap my sister with facts stored in his databank, he's my friend.

"Assuming that the secretary is not deemed resigned, if we are going to be strict with the Constitution, she still can't assume the presidency," he argued. "The director pointed out earlier that no one else is in the line of succession after the vice president. We might consider amending that provision just in case this crisis happens again in the future."

"Pero hindi natin pwedeng hayaan na walang mamuno sa council!" hirit ng matangkad na lalaking avid supporter ni Maddie. "Who's going to review the proposals of our club? Someone has to be in that office! If no one is qualified to succeed Agnes, then we might as well appoint someone who can."

Muling itinaas ni Clyde ang kanyang kamay at tumayo. "Again, if we are going to be strict with the Constitution, there's no provision that says we have the appointing power in the event of a vacancy."

Way to go, four-eyes! Supalpal na ngayon ang mga die-hard fanatic ng ate ko. The Constitution and By-Laws may just be a piece of paper, but it is still the highest law in the campus.

"We want to provide a solution to the problem, but we can't expedite the process," the OSA director said. "As the adviser of the student council and director of the Office of Student Affairs, I may need to exercise an extra-Constitutional power. I will assert my authority to appoint the next president."

Oh, crap. Here comes the interference from the school administration.

"If I were to choose, I'd like to appoint Reign Imperial to the presidency," she said, turning to the executive committee chairman. "He is the right right-hand man of the resigned president."

Nagbulungan ang ilang class at club officers, mukhang sang-ayon sa suggestion ng director. I looked at the man on the front row bleachers. Tila hindi siya makapaniwala na ang pangalan niya ang babanggitin.

"Are there any objections?"

Bilang sa mga daliri ko ang mga pagkakataong nakatrabaho ko si Reign para makilatis ko siya. But between him and my sister? I'd rather support the former than the latter. Magba-backfire kay Maddie ang pinlano. Imbes na siya ang aani sa itinanim niya, ibang tao pala.

Tumayo ang execom chairman at huminga nang malalim. All he needed to say was "I accept the position of president." Once he uttered those words, supalpal na ang ate ko.

"I appreciate the recommendation by the kind director, but I have to decline."

What? Hey, palay na ang lumalapit sa manok tapos tatanggihan mo pa?

"Don't ge me wrong," Reign clarified. "Karangalan para sa akin na i-lead ang student council. Even if I accepted the position, I don't have the mandate to lead. No vote was cast my name. I was only an appointee by Agnes. If I were to become the president, I'd like to be the president elected by the student body, not a president appointed by the director."

"What are you suggesting then?"

"A snap election," Reign answered. "A free-for-all playing field. We must not limit the scope among ourselves. We must give everyone a chance."

Maddie raised her hand. "I agree with him. Even if I were to be appointed as president, I would have to decline as well. The two boys at the back mentioned some provisions in our Constitution and if we go by the rules, only through an election can we choose our leaders."

Atat na atat na nga siyang sabihin na "I volunteer" kanina tapos ngayon sasabihin niya na balak niyang i-decline? Huwag ako, Maddie. Huwag ako.

"You know that holding an election needs preparation and resources," the OSA director said.

"But that's not a high price to pay for propriety," Reign countered. "It may cost us time and money, but it is the proper procedure. And we must follow what is proper."

"Are there any objections on the proposal? Hearing none, a snap election shall be held as soon as we lay down the guidelines."

Everyone was dismissed. Pinauna ko nang umalis ang ibang officers. My sister Maddie was talking to Reign on the floor. Padabog akong naglakad pababa ng bleachers para kunin ang atensyon nila. Clyde and Charlotte followed behind, with no idea on what I would do next.

"You almost had it," I blurted out as soon as my foot stepped on the maple floor. "If it weren't for my opposition, you would have been the president by now."

Reign excused himself as he went along with the other execom members. Maddie's supporters also went ahead. Tanging ako, ang ate ko at dalawang kasama ko sa QED Club ang natira.

"I was not surprised, to be honest," Maddie chuckled. "I knew you would try to block me in every way possible."

"Meron ka pang nalalaman na you would decline the recommendation," dagdag ko. "Thank that Reign for not totally killing your dream of becoming our next leader. If he only accepted the appointment, uuwi kang luhaan kahit paumpisa pa lang ang klase."

"Sorry, but I don't get where your renewed animosity is coming from," Maddie's eyes narrowed into slits. "By the way, it's nice to see you again, Charlotte. I hope that you are doing well since the incident."

"I've been never better!" our club president responded enthusiastically.

"Talagang nagmaang-maangan ka pa?" tanong ko sa aking ate. "You know why my disgust on you intensified. You used me. Oh, let me correct that. You used us, the QED Club, for your personal ambition."

Lalo pang naningkit ang mga mata ni Maddie. "I don't understand what you are talking about."

"Remember your request at the leadership seminar?" I reminded her. She doesn't have Charlotte's memory condition so she better recall. "Sinabi mo sa akin na gusto mong magkaaminan sina Agnes at Bruce. Look at what happened to them. Gone."

"So what?" Maddie asked. "When I asked you that request, I only wanted them to be honest about their feelings. I did not expect that something negative would come out of it."

"Did you connive with the K-OS Club?" Wala nang paligoy-ligoy kong tanong sa kanya. "Did you orchestrate with them the downfall of the very person that appointed you to that position?"

"Tell me why would I work with the people that tried to destroy the image of the council," Maddie dared.

"Because you want the position badly that you thought of betraying your own leader," I answered. "Halatang-halata ang kulay mo noong committee hearing. You wanted them out of their office."

"Since you are our school's premier detective group, do you have any evidence to substantiate your claim? Or are you being blinded by your hatred against me?" Maddie crossed her arms. "I only wanted to protect the image of the student council that I serve. Nothing more, nothing less."

"I will find proof. I will find the connection between you and that rogue group," I vowed. "And when I do, you will suffer worse than the ordeal that Agnes and Bruce had to go through."

Tumalikod na ako't sadyang maglalakad na rin palabas ng gymnasium. But my sister had a parting shot.

"So you are really going to play the villain to me?" she asked. "Like you always do?"

"Nah," I turned to her, shaking my head. "This time, I'm going to play the hero."

After all, the concept of heroism and villainy is like looking at number 6. You may see for what it is—as the number six—but those who do not share the same perspective may view it as the number nine.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

34K 785 19
Book 2 | IKWKM Trilogy July 2007, pitong tao ang pinatay ng isang serial killer, si Dmitri Morris upang pagbayarin sila sa kanilang mga nagawang kasa...
101K 3.5K 123
Highschool Stories #2 | It's not everytime that laugh cures. *** An epistolary. It takes a genuine personality to make someone smile, but it takes a...
13.9K 421 19
Book 3 | IKWKM Trilogy "Sa larong ito, buhay mo at ng iyong asawa't mga anak ang nakataya. Kailangan mong malagpasan ang isang linggong pagsubok na s...
21.5M 750K 62
More crimes, baffling codes and clues. New mystery, same detectives, different deductions. Join Gray and Amber as well as the other characters in dis...