The Below - Cyberpunk Adventu...

By Random_Rice

A group of strangers chosen by the goverment to help with the secret project end up in an futuristic/cyberpu... More

Part 2 - The Choice
Part 3 - The Conflict
Part 4 - Harmony

Part 1 - The Invitation

954 22 16
By Random_Rice

Characters
Main characters
-John Baker
John Baker was born on November 6th 1926 in Boston USA. At the age of 19 served as a combat medic in the second world war, after the war he returned to USA and settled in Las Vegas and worked as a detective in his own detective agency.

-Alisson Mullins (Allie)
Allison Mullins was born on September 9th 1930 in Brighton England. At the age of six Allison and her parents immigrated to Seattle USA. Later she started studying journalism and became a journalist in Las Vegas.

Las Vegas, September 8th 1952,
John Baker's house, 20:00.

As John was standing on the balcony and listening to the news report on his radio he suddenly heard an unusual sound on the radio, the news report got cut out by a strange deep voice that sounded pre-recorded, the voice said...
"This is an official goverment announcment, the goverment is developing a secret project that will help the people of our nation and the goverment will be inviting a small amount of people to help with the project. The eligible people will be invited in the upcoming days."
After the announcment the news report continued without a mention of the strange announcment. John didn't take the announcment seriously and went to his bed.

21:30

John was woken up by a loud knocking on the front door of his home. He got out of bed and went to the front door, he opened the door and was surprised that nobody was behind the door, as he closed the door he noticed a letter on the floor. He opened the letter...

"To John Baker a true patriot of our country. This is Dr.Williams the head of the "Below Project". You have been invited to help the goverment with this project. For more information visit your local recruitment office."

September 9th, 20:30

After recieving the invitation John decided to go to his local recruitment office. John was filled with concern. as he entered the building he saw an officer that asked him...

-Officer: "John Baker is that right?"

-John: "Thats right!"

-Officer: "Follow me please!"

John followed the officer to his office.

-Officer: "Please sit down!"

-Officer: "It says here that you're a veteran is that true?"

-John: "Yes sir!"

-Officer: "Where did you serve if you dont mind me asking?"

-John: "I was a medic in the Marines."

-Officer: "Well, you're the right man for our job."

-John: "I can't accept the job if i don't know the details."

-Officer: "The job is simple... to help make this project a reality and you have all it takes to complete the task. Combat experience, medical background."

-John: "And what is my task?"

-Officer: "You have only one task... to accept the offer, everything else will be covered by the goverment.. money, food, clothes, healthcare. So the question is... are you in?"

John asked to walk outside the office to think about the offer. After a couple of minutes of thinking about the offer John decided that he had nothing to loose, since his job was not enough to pay the bills. John walked back inside and said...

-John: "Im in!"

-Officer: "Wise choice Mr.Baker, follow me please!"

John followed the officer outside and saw a military truck waiting for him. The officer told him to board the back of the truck. As John boarded the back of the truck he saw a dark haired woman already sitting in the truck.

-John: "Hello name's John!"

-Woman: "Allie, Nice to meet you John."

-John: "Where you invited too?"

-Allie: "Yes i recieved the invitation last night."

-John: "You're not a veteran are you?"

-Allie: "No, why would you ask that?

-John: "They told me that this is the reason i was invited."

-Allie: "I am a journalist, and they told me that they need my help covering the project."

-John: "Allison Mullins? The journalist from the news? I knew your voice sounded familiar."

-Allie: "And what is your job John?"

-John: "Im a private detective of the "Baker's detective agency."

September 9th 23:30, Unknown location.

After a long drive John and Allie heard the officer telling them to get of the truck. They both got out of the truck and saw a large metal door to an underground bunker. The officer refused to reveal their location and told them to follow him inside. The inside of the bunker looked like a research station everything had a white and blue color, the researchers wore blue clothes, John and Allison were told to enter a large room with many people inside that were invited to help the project. Everyone was told to lay down on a strange futuristic looking beds and relax. When everyone laid down the researchers closed the door and a wierd orange gas  started filling the room. Moments later everyone in that room fell asleep.

Unknown location, unknown time, unknown date.

John opened his eyes, his vision was blurry for a couple of second then he heard Allie calling his name...

-Allie: "John!... John!"

As john's vision got clear he saw Allie looking at him.

She looked different since he last saw her she had some kind of elecronic devices in her skin.

-John: "What happened? Where is everybody? What happened to your face?"

-Allie: "Relax! Everybody has ran up the stairs as soon as they woke up. You were the last one to wake up. And about the face... I don't know what it is but everyone had it... You have it too."

John was wierded out by the situation.

-John: "I think we should get out of this place."

Allie and John both ran up the stairs and saw that the bunker door was open. As they walked outside, everything was different and looked futuristic. They saw large neon buildings, flying cars and large neon signs.

-John: "What is this place? Last time we been here there were no buildings no roads nothing, only trees and mountains."

-Allie: "That must be the project that they were talking about."

-John: "We must find out where we are. Let's ask around about this place... or this city."

As Allie and John walked through the city trying to find someone from the group of the invited people they stummbled upon a tall man. the man had a robotic arm and half of his face was made out of robotics implants.

-Allie: "Exuse me sir? What year is this?

-Tall man: "it's October 4th, 2083."

-John: "This can't be real!"

-Allie: "It was 1952 when we accepted the offer, how is that possible?"

-Tall man: "Wait you are the ones from the "Below" project you're both from the present... that's crazy."

-Tall man: "You guys need to visit Dr.Williams headquarters, hes from the present too."

-Allie: "Dr.Williams he's the one that invited us for this project!"

-John: "Can you help us get there?"

-Tall man: "Yeah sure.. but first i need to get the permision from our leader."

-Allie: "Your leader?"

-Tall man: "The leader of the NIF."

-John: "NIF what does that mean?"

-Tall man: "The Nevada Insurgency Forces."

-John: "The insurgency?"

-Tall man: "Don't worry you will get all your answers from our leader, now follow me!"

John and Allie entered the man's vehicle, the man told them to not get to excited as the vehicle started floating in the air. He saw the excitment in their faces and was explaining them about the different neon signs that they saw as they flew through the city. John and Allie were amazed by the city and did not belive that this was a reality. As they were approaching their destination they saw a sign "Eve's Marketplace".

-Tall man: "Im going to call my friend that will a get us an entry point to our leader's headquarters, meanwhile you guys should walk around the market here's some cash buy some new clothes."

-Allie: "Thanks for the advice."

-John: "Lets just be carefull."

-Allie: "I think its fine... and he's right we do need some new clothes.

John and Allie found a small clothes shop and bought themselve's some new clothes. Then they both went outside to wait for the man that were taking them to the NIF leader.

-John: "Since you bought a watch.. what time is it?"

-Allie: "Its 16:20!"

-John: "It sure gets dark early in the future!"

-Allie: "Do you trust this guy?"

-John: "He's friendly, but we need to be carefull until we get more answers."

The man returned to the vehicle and they continued their ride to the NIF leader.

NIF headquarters, October 4th 2083, 17:30.

Allison and John arrived to the NIF headquarters they passed the security gate that was guarded by the NIF insurgents and entered the main headquarters building the "Tall man" seemed concerned about something as he was entering the NIF leader's office. When they entered the office they saw a woman wearing a black dress that had alot of robotic implants she looked allmost like a robot and when she turned around she looked at the "Tall man" with her red eyes waiting for a response.

-Tall man: "Ms.Reed these are the people from the "Below Project" that we talked about."

-Ms.Reed: "Very well, you can go now.. you two! Come inside!"

Allie and John went inside the leader's office and the door behind them closed immidietly. The leader had two bodyguard guarding her.

Ms.Reed: "My name is Olivia Reed im the leader of the Nevada Insurgency Forces we took upon ourselves to protect the people of our city known as the "Below" from the corporation called "Gladehope" its a corporation that rules over the upper part of the city, its goals are to take away our people's technology they believe that people shouldn't use implants and therefore thay have banned the use of implants. Any person that gets caught using implants is called a cyborg or a mutant... freak. And their solution is simple... kill them.

-Allie: "What can you tell me about "The Below"?

-Mr.Reed: "The Below is the city you're currently located in, or as you may know it from the past, Las Vegas."

-John: "The person that brought us here told us that we should see Dr.Williams, he's the man that invited us to help in his project."

-Ms.Reed: "I know that! But first you need to help us with one thing."

-John: "And what is that?"

-Ms.Reed: "Dr.Williams is located in the upper part of the city, and as I mentioned earlier it is controlled by the "Gladehope". But you two can get us access into the upper parts of the city."

-Allie: "How can we do that?"

-Ms.Reed: "You two are a part of the "Below Project" that Dr.Williams created and he would do anything to talk to you both. But before two of you could go i need an answer to a simple question, will you join the NIF and help our people in this war?"

(John wispers to Allie)
-John: "I don't believe we have any other choice, we need to play along."

Allie agreed with John and whispered back...

-Allie: "We need to play along untill we hear the other side's point of view."

-Ms.Reed: "So... what is your answer?"

John and Allie answered together...

-John: "We will join the NIF!"

Allie: "We will help you!"

The leader looked excited, she turned her back and told one of her bodyguards named Elizabeth to take them to their rooms.

-Elizabeth: "John.. Allie.. follow me! Believe me! You guys will like it here!"

Continued in part 2

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

461K 15.3K 64
Child of the Eldest Gods from the East, Heiress of Earth and Legacy of Stars and Magic, Has the Affinity to Balance the Peace of Nature, Fated Love i...
22.4M 787K 69
"The Hacker and the Mob Boss" ❦ Reyna Fields seems to be an ordinary girl with her thick-framed glasses, baggy clothes, hair always up in a ponytail...
52.7K 1.1K 162
"In a world of pirates and adventure, meet Ryo, a half mink-half human with a tragic past. After losing his parents, Ryo was taken in and trained by...
3.8M 157K 69
Highest rank: #1 in Teen-Fiction and sci-fi romance, #1 mindreader, #2 humor Aaron's special power might just be the coolest- or scariest- thing ever...