The Elements of Rage | ✔

By JadeQueen100

|COMPLETED| Her name says it all. Rage Falls. Always one to get angry, Rage was also one to get even. And why... More

A / N
C H A R A C T E R S
• O N E •
• T W O •
• T H R E E •
• F O U R •
• F I V E •
• S I X •
• S E V E N •
• E I G H T •
• N I N E •
• T E N •
• E L E V E N •
• T W E L V E •
• T H I R T E E N •
• F O U R T E E N •
• F I F T E E N •
• S I X T E E N •
• S E V E N T E E N •
• E I G H T E E N •
• N I N E T E E N •
• T W E N T Y •
• I N F O •
• T W E N T Y • O N E •
• T W E N T Y • T W O •
• T W E N T Y • F O U R •
• T W E N T Y • F I V E •
• T W E N T Y • S I X •
• T W E N T Y • S E V EN •
• T W E N T Y • E I G H T •
• T W E N T Y • N I N E •
• T H I R T Y •
• T H I R T Y • O N E •
• T H I R T Y • T W O •
• T H I R T Y • T H R E E •
• T H I R T Y • F O U R •
• T H I R T Y • F I V E •
• T H I R T Y • S I X •
• T H I R T Y • S E V E N •
• T H I R T Y • E I G H T •
• T H I R T Y • N I N E •
• F O R T Y •
• F O R T Y • O N E •
• F O R T Y • T W O •
• E P I L O G U E •
• B O N U S • S C E N E • O N E •

• T W E N T Y • T H R E E •

17.2K 734 387
By JadeQueen100

"If I were you, I wouldn't love me neither."
• • •
Gage's POV
• • •

Sitting down at the table in the cafeteria, I prop my chin up with my hand as I lose myself in thought.

I jump slightly as a tray full of food is slid in front of me.

"Eat it and don't get used to it," Rage directs in a stern voice.

I look up at her with wide eyes and my eyes instantly widen as I take in what she is wearing. It is a simple outfit, really, but the leather pants fit tightly and mold to her curves. Quickly, I look her in the eye, not wanting to gawk at her any longer than I had.

"Why did you get me food?" I ask her, tilting my head in curiosity.

Rage narrows her pretty eyes at me and sharply says, "Because you weren't eating and I know you need to. Now eat your food."

Her words are cold, but the gesture is warm and kind. It floored me, really. It's such a simple act, but means more to me than I can explain.

Rage raises an eyebrow at me and I take that as my cue to dig into the food that she got. A chicken sandwich and carrots.

Once I am done eating, I can't help but say, "Thank you, Rage. But why did you get me the food? And how did you know what I would want?"

A smile spreads across her face, her lemon eyes twinkling amusement.

"Let's just say that you're the kinda guy I'd make a sandwich for. And I know you, Gage. You eat pretty simple food."

I grin and shake my head at her response.

"Hey wanna ditch?" Rage asks, leaning forward with a dangerous smile that makes me both excited and scared.

"Sure," I reply smoothly, standing up and smiling at her. "I'll take your tray back since you brought me mine."

Rage nods and picks up her backpack.

"Meet you in the hall?"

"Deal."

I take long strides to the line and hurry back, not wanting to keep her waiting.

To tell you the truth, I'm not against ditching, contrary to popular belief.

A lot of people—students and teachers alike—are confused by me. They expect me to fit into a cliche stereo type. But I don't fit into a box. I am smart, but I'm definitely not a teacher's pet or a nerd. I'm athletic, but I'm not a jock or a mindless meathead. Apparently, I'm broody, but I'm too smart and follow too many rules to be a bad boy. So, instead, they just call me a loner. The only thing that makes me stand out is my looks.

I'm not vain, but I do know that I somehow ended up with a unique coloring. That's just my genes. I'm not arrogant about my looks because I know that it is all just chance. Besides, my looks being me more trouble than I want. Girls like Seraphina.

My lip curls in disgust.

Then again, now that Rage is here, I've grown to be more glad about my looks. Now she won't turn away from me in disgust every time she sees me, at least.

Speak of the devil and she shall appear.

"Are you coming or not?" She demands, tapping her foot impatiently.

"Of course," I say, adding My devil, in my head.

Rage sets off and I walk alongside her, following her as we exit the school.

"You know," She starts, looking at me out of the corner of her eye. "I didn't think you would actually agree to come with me."

I smirk and reply, "Why? Because I'm smart? Don't you think that presumption would be stupid?"

Rage rolls her eyes and snorts, "That right there is why I would think that."

Shrugging, I reply, "Honestly, school is just a waste of time. I already know all the material and I probably know more than the teachers."

"I knew you were smart," She remarks. "But I honestly didn't think you were that smart. I always assumed strategy was just your strong suit, Nerd."

"It is," I reply, ignoring her calling me a nerd. "But that doesn't mean that strategy is my only skill, right?"

"Right," She agrees.

There is a pause in the conversation and I am finally able to tell where were going.

"The diner?" I question out loud.

"Yup," Is her only response as we continue.

As the building approaches, I quickly grab the door for her because Mom always taught me to open the door for others. Especially pretty girls.

Her eyes widen with surprise as she looks up at me and shine with an unreadable emotion, but it quickly disappears from view as she enters the restaurant muttering her thanks.

"Hello, Thorne," I greet the man at the front desk coldly at the same exact time Rage does.

A part of me wants to laugh at the fact that we both said the same thing, exactly the same, at the exact same time. Another part of me wants to be smug and call it a victory. But I don't do anything but glare at Thorne and I can feel Rage doing the same beside me.

I have no idea why she is mad at him, but I am mad at home because he's a jerk to me and my brothers, Asher in particular. I don't know what he has against Asher, but whatever it is, it doesn't give him the right to treat us like garbage.

"I'll seat us and save you some time," Rage tells Thorne smoothly, raising an eyebrow as if challenging Thorne.

He just stares at her, causing her to his sharply and head on her way.

Thorne's eyes are glued to her ass as she makes her way to a table and I grit my teeth but don't say anything, knowing I certainly can't do anything about him looking at her.

I pull a seat out for her and she wears that surprised look again before snapping, "This isn't a fancy restaurant, dumbass. You don't need to pull the damn chair out for me."

"Need to? Or get to?" I reply with a teasing grin.

The faintest shade of pink paints itself over her delicate cheekbones and my grin only grows.

"Well, hello, Rage and Gage," Mom greets us, a huge and mischievous smile on her face. "Aren't you two supposed to be at school? What are you doing here?"

I turn to Rage and question, "Actually, I'm curious too. Silent we just eat?"

Rage smirks and answers, "I wanted dessert and to grab my sweater that I had left here a couple nights ago."

Nodding knowingly, Mom says, "We have it in the back, whenever you want to get it. But I'm still confused as to why you two are ditching."

Mom gives me a pointed look.

I shrug and respond, "Rage suggested it."

Looking at me, Rage drily remarks, "That bus you just threw me under? I hope it swerves and hits you in the sidewalk."

I laugh lightly, causing Mom to stare at me.

"Anyway, Fiona, we both know all they're teaching us. School is just a waste of time and energy. You wouldn't want us to waste our precious youth would you?" Rage asks, looking at Mom with the sweetest and most innocent look ever.

Mom snorts, "Right. Well, what dessert can I get you guys then?"

Rage flashes me a triumphant grin and I swear that my heart skips a beat.

It is then that I realize it.

I am so whipped.

• • •

Rage's POV

  • • •  

I take my last bite of the delicious dessert and look sadly at the scraped clean plate.

Setting down my spoon, I announce, "Well, Gage, I'm done. Let me go grab my sweater and we can head wherever once you're finished."

Not waiting for him to reply, I stand and carry my dishes to the kitchen and drop them off in the sink before grabbing my sweater which isn't too far away.

I make my way back to the table and find Gage had already paid.

My father's words ring in my head and my vision blurs slightly as I can feel the pain all over again. The beating I got for accepting help.

"Gage," I say coldly. "Do not pay for me, especially when it is my idea. I do not need or want your help."

Gage rolls his hazel eyes and snorts, "Quit being stubborn and just let me be a gentleman. I know, without a doubt, that you can take care of yourself. That doesn't mean, though, that I don't want to take care of you."

His intense stare is full of emotion that has me blurting, "When you say take care of me, which take care of are you talking about? Because if you're trying to kill me..."

Gage laughs, "Please. I train with you enough to know that would be a stupid plan."

I smirk and nod.

"For once, you are completely correct. I suppose, a broken clock is right twice a day after all..."

Gage playfully shoves me and exclaims, "You and I both know that I am a whole lot smarter than that!"

"Sure," I say, drawing out the word for maximum sarcasm. "Anyway, what do you want to do now?"

Hesitating, Gage suggests nervously, "Would you want to go ice skating?"

"Ice skating?" I repeat, my eyebrows shooting up.

"We don't have to," Gage assures me hurriedly. "It's just that I have a friend who could get us in free and I thought—"

"I think it's a great idea!" I cut him off. "I just didn't expect it, that's all."

Gage smiles, a look of relief coming across his face.

"Good," He responds. "We'll have to head to drive there, though."

"And you have a car?" I ask, raising a brow skeptically.

I've never once seen him drive a car. With everything so close together in this city, people don't drive as much, I guess.

Gage nods and smiles.

"It's old and doesn't look the best, but it runs and is in good condition mechanically."

Nodding, I ask, "Ready, then?"

We head out together. As we are leaving, I realize that I let him pay for the food. It isn't a big deal, but it is progress, I suppose. I need to work on accepting help, even small bits of help.

We walk to his place, talking about everything and nothing. You know, the kind of conversations between friends where you discuss all sorts of things that don't matter at all.

Laughing, we walk up to the front door together and Gage calls, "Dad! I'm home early! Just grabbing my keys!"

I'm a bit surprised to hear that. With how much his mom works, I guess I just assumed that she was a single mother or something.

A woman in flowery scrubs walls up and says, "Now, Gage, who is this pretty girl who is keeping you from your school?"

"This "pretty girl" is Rage, " I answer, already annoyed.

I don't like it when people ignore me and ask others about me when I am standing right there.

The woman merely laughs, "Well, hello, Rage. My name is Loretta, or Nurse Loretta, whichever you prefer."

I smile, deciding she isn't that bad at all.

"Nice to meet you."

"Gage! Why does it sound like there's a girl in here?!" A shout calls from the other side of the house.

"Because there is one!" I call back before muttering, "Honestly, you'd think he's never had a female friend before."

"Well..." Nurse Loretta hedges, causing me to laugh.

"Do you want to meet my dad?" Gage asks.

He looks nervous, but acts like he doesn't care, like it isn't a big deal to him when it obviously is.

"Sure," I agree with a soft smile.

Gage turns abruptly and I follow him to a bedroom on the other side of the small and cozy house.

"Dad, this is Rage," Gage introduces.

"Hello, Mr. Wolf," I say, looking him in the eye.

I can see that he is in bed and a wheelchair rests near him. I don't know why, but it doesn't concern me.

His hazel eyes sparkle like Gage's do and he grins.

"Rage? Gage? How perfect," He remarks. "Your names are just perfect together."

"Yup," I agree with a playful wink.

"Well, we just came to grab the car," Gage says. "See you later, Dad."

"That's it!" His dad exclaims with a grin. "I'm not moving from this spot until you get back!"

"Dad..." Gage groans. "Come on, Rage."

"It was nice meeting you," I tell him as I follow Gage to the garage.

"Oh my goodness!" I squeal, all but jumping up and down with excitement. "Is that your car?!"

"Uhhh... Yeah?" Gage answers, clearly confused.

"Can I please, please, please drive?" I beg.

"Sure..." Gage says. "But why on earth are you so excited about the rust bucket?"

"It's ancient," I gush. "It's for a handbrake!"

"Lots of cars have a handbrake, though," Gage replies.

"For the emergency break, maybe," I agree. "But I've always wanted to drive an old stick shift with a handbrake."

Shrugging, Gage says, "Be my guest."

He raises his hand with the keys and I snatch them away before he can change his mind. Darting around the car, I quickly buckle in and start the car, ready for our adventure.

• • •

My shouts of joy and whoops of excitement drown out Gage's terrified shrieks and horrified shouts.

I switch my foot to the clutch and slam the shift into fifth gear and stomp on the gas, a smooth transition that allows me to barrel down the roads even faster. Using the handbrake, I drift into a tight turn, loving Gage's car.

Slowing slightly, I use the handbrake stop in a perfect one-eighty hairpin stop.

This is the car of my dreams and it works perfectly.

The only thing I don't understand is why Gage doesn't drive this ALL THE TIME. I mean, if it were my car, I'd probably live in it!

"Well, here we are!" I declare cheerfully as I turn off the ignition and hop out of the car.

Gage looks at the building and his phone before frowning.

"This isn't the right place," He says slowly.

"Eh?" I grunt in confusion, raising an eyebrow.

"This isn't even a rink. I must've gotten the wrong address," Gage replies.

Rolling my eyes, I hide a grin as I slip back into the car and start it up once more.

I sit there for a second while Gage figures out the correct address using his phone.

Once we have it figured out, I head out, but we are in the same city so I can't take the freeway again.

"MOVE OUT OF THE DAMN WAY!!" I roar out the now open window at the slow driver. "YOU T HOLDING UP TRAFFIC, IDIOT!"

"DO YOU NOT REALIZE HOW SLOWLY YOU'RE GOING?!! OR SO YOU JUST NOT CARE?!"

"IT'S YELLOW, NOT RED!!!"

"WHAT IS IT WITH PEOPLE IN THIS TOWN AND TERRIBLE DRIVING?!"

"DID YOU JUST CUT ME OFF?!!!!"

My anger spikes with that last one and I suddenly have an extremely strong urge to follow them home and beat the driver up.

Woah.

See, this is why I don't normally drive...

"Road rage," Gage laughs drily. "I really should've seen that coming."

I offer him a sheepish smile and say, "Oops?"

Gage shakes his head.

"We're almost there, at least," He sighs. "Just know that there's no way you're driving home."

A burst of fury shoots through me before I see the logic in his decision.

"Fine," I groan, drawing the word out.

My shoulders slump in defeat as I pull into the parking lot.

"We're here. For reals, this time," I announce flatly.

"Oh, come on, you drama queen. This is going to be fun and you know it," Gage says.

I can't help the grin that spreads across my face. Honestly, I've always wanted to go ice skating. My brothers would create an ice rink every winter, but I was never allowed to skate on it. This my chance to finally go skating.

We walk in the building together and I force myself to remain calm as Gage opens the door for me. It both angers me and makes me feel special.

Well, I'm fucked up. So nothing new with me, I suppose. How are you?

We head to a desk and Gage grins at the person at the computer.

"Hardy!" He greets with a broad smile.

Hardy raises an eyebrow.

Hardy is short with super dark skin and shining brown eyes. His long hair is pulled back and in dreads with beads at the ends.

"What do you want, Gage? You only smile that large when you want something."

Gage laughs lightly, causing the man to look somewhat surprised.

"Can Rage and I get in for free?" Gage asks hopefully.

"Of course, man!" Hardy exclaims with a grin. "Didn't I tell you—"

"Great!" Gage says, cutting him off and giving him a meaningful look.

Hardy catches his meaning and nods.

"Give me your hands and I'll stamp them and you two can head in," Hardy says.

I snake my arm out and wait patiently while Hardy take a his time stamping a picture of a red star in the back of my left hand. He moves on to Gage and then the two of us head out. I follow Gage through to a room full of benches and we make our way to the window at the end where we show the person working there our stamps and get our skates.

We head out to the ice and I start to wobble on my skates before realizing I didn't tie them tight enough. Quickly, I retire them tighter and try again.

"Ready?" Gage asks , holding a hand out to me.

Grinning, I take his hand and use my ice powers to propel me along. Soon, I am skating as if I have practiced.

"Are you a natural or using your powers?" Gage murmurs in my ear, not wanting to draw attention to my powers.

I lean in and mock whisper, "We're alone here, dumbass. You don't need to whisper. And powers, of course."

Gage rolls his eye and I watch his ears turn pink. Amused, I grip his hand tighter and begin to pick up speed and tow him along behind me as we shoot across the ice.

He holds my hand tighter as I pull him in a tight turn. I look back and grin evilly as I prepare for a sharp spin. His tanned cheeks are blushing from the cold and his deep red hair is whipped back from his angular face. His hazel eyes glitter with happiness.

I refocus on the ice and lead him into the best turn yet before releasing him. He spins away from me but manages to catch himself before he tumbles onto the ice.

I skate over to Gage and grin as I offer him my hand.

Returning my smile, he takes my hand.

We continue to skate for a while longer before heading out, deciding it was time to go back.

"Thanks again, Hardy," Gage calls as we leave the ice rink. "Tell your boyfriend I said hi!"

"No problem!" Hardy calls back. "I'll be sure to let him know!"

I try and slip into the driver's seat when Gage sticks his hand out, looks me in the eye, and raises an eyebrow.

"Keys," He demands.

"Darn it, I was hoping you wouldn't notice," I say as I pass over the keys with a sigh.

Gage snorts, "How wouldn't I notice? Now, get in and we can head back. Do you want to meet the others up at the cabin?"

"Sure," I answer glumly, sad that I can't drive that amazing car again.

As I buckle in, I change my mind. "Actually, I left my backpack in my locker if we can head to the school instead."

"Alright," Gage agrees, turning the radio on.

Instantly, electronic music starts spilling out of the speakers, the music fast and synthetic. Wrinkling my nose, I stretch my arm out and change the channel to my favorite station—one that only played heavy metal.

Heavy metal is my favorite kind of song. I especially like ones where the music is choppy or where the song goes and goes and all the sudden stops before going again.

Gage shoots me a dirty look and switches back to the previous station.

"Driver chooses," He states firmly.

"But I didn't listen to the radio at all when I was driving!" I protest.

Gage replies, "Only because you were too distracted breaking the law and then screaming at the other drivers!"

I roll my eyes and slump back in my chair.

Scrunching my eyes shut, I try not to think about the music. I have nothing against electronic mu—wait, that's not true. I hate every kind of music except heavy metal and, on occasion, rock.

The sound of heavy metal makes my eyes pop wide open.

Sitting up, I look at Gage with wide eyes and ask, "Why'd you change it?"

His ears turn red and he mutters, "No reason. You just looked absolutely miserable. Pitiful, really."

I groan, "Thanks, Gage. Now I feel bad."

"Don't be," Gage says, his eyes still focused on the road. "It's just music, after all."

"Just music?!" I exclaim.

Gage gives me a flat look and I chuckle sheepishly, "I mean, yeah, it is just music."

I really need to work on not overreacting.

Gage chuckles lightly and focuses on the road once more.

"Ya know, you don't need to pay that much attention to the road," I say slowly.

Gage snorts, "Yeah. I could just drive like you. Maniacal. Dangerous. Terrifying."

I tilt my head and respond, "I'm not sure if I should feel flattered or offended, honestly."

"Either way, I suppose," Gage sighs.

I grin and shake my head at him.

"When will we get back at the school?" I ask, changing the subject.

"Around the time that it gets out," Gage answers before asking, "Why?"

I shrug.

"Just want to make sure I don't have to go to Elemental Testing," I tell him honestly. "I absolutely hate that class."

"Calling it a class is generous," Gage huffs. "More like a torture session that shouldn't even be legal."

I roll my eyes. "Now you're talking like the protesters."

"Well, what if I am one?" Gage fires back, turning serious suddenly.

Shrugging, I reply, "I just don't think that a group of people marching around and yelling is going to get anything done. Besides, so many people with powers get caught and locked up."

"We need to be doing something though," Gage insists.

"Like what?" I challenge. "What on earth could you or I do?"

"I don't know," Gage sighs. "But there must be something more we can do."

I shake my head, not liking where this is going.

I'm certainly not an outstanding citizen, but there is a difference between breaking a few laws and marching around the president's doorsteps yelling for change. It's like begging to be caught. And while our lives certainly could improve, things are already fine how they are. Our world could be a whole lot worse.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it, right?

We drive the rest of the way, talking and in light conversation. The drive seems to take forever. Mostly because Gage drives like my grandma. You know, the dead one. Never the less, we manage to pull up to the school with twenty minutes left.

Gage finally pulls up to the school saying, "Hurry up and we can drive over to the cabin together."

Nodding, I hop out of his beautiful car and scurry into the school to retrieve my bag from my locker. I am about to head out when I hear crying coming from the bathroom.

Come one, conscience! Now's not the time to kick in! I groan in my head.

It's probably just some girl crying because her stupid boyfriend (or boyfriends) broke up with her.

But what if it isn't?

With another groan, I quickly pull my phone out and spend forever trying to text as I message Gage to let him know that it might take a little longer than expected.

Inside the bathroom, I find Seraphina sobbing, her makeup dripping with her tears as she hunches over the sink.

Great. Of all the days for me to feel bad for someone else.

I close the door to the bathroom and head inside to see what's going on.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

93.8K 3.6K 29
I was just a normal girl until everything changed. Losing everything you ever loved will change a girl. New town, new life, new school. Everything is...
12K 747 39
Born an elf into a world where elves are hunted and killed, twenty-two year old Faeda fears she may be the last of her kind. Hiding amongst those who...
4.5K 978 42
After a terrible accident, Everly swore to never use her magic again. Buried and rejected for six years, her magic finally breaks free despite her be...
278K 9.4K 33
I'm Ian and I would have liked to think of myself as a regular high school student with a normal life, nothing more nothing less. A stable household...