• T W E N T Y • O N E •

"She tried and tried and tried. Then she looked back and realized that she had only cried and cried and cried."
• • •

"I'm always watching, Anger. -M"

I didn't burn the card this time. I was too shocked. First, Kitrina has gone back to signing her little notes with an M. Second, she is telling the truth.

The only reason why she would call me Anger would be to prove that she is watching. Seraphina had called me Anger today. She really is watching me.

Speaking of, I never did follow Asher. I am determined to find out what is going on, but I had gotten sidetracked by going to the movies with them.

I've been incredibly distracted lately. Not paying attention to certain things around me. I've been paying all sorts of attention to dangers. I'm constantly looking over my shoulders and an worried that Kitrina is there, about to strike. The last few days, I've been distracted by this, even around the boys who are growing suspicious. My grades are dropping and my time is spent trying not to freak out and have a panic attack.

I feel so weak.

A few cards and a dream.

That's all it took. Now, it will be simple for Kitrina to come and capture me. In hindsight, I realize that all of this was just a ploy, a truck to get inside of my head. And I welcomed her inside with open arms.

And I can't get her out.

I'm so scared.

I hate this.

"Asher, I want to talk," I tell him mentally, swallowing as much of my fear as I can.

"Go ahead," Asher says smoothly. "I'll always be ready to listen to you."

"No, this needs to be face to face," I reply, rubbing my eyes.

"Sure," Asher agrees, but I can detect a tinge of nervousness.

"Can I come over?"

There's a pause.

"That's not the best idea," Asher hedges.

"Asher," I demand. "You will tell me what is going on!"

"You're right," Asher sighs, his agreement surprising me. "This does need to be face to face. Meet me at the cabin."

Quickly, I slip my backpack back on and head out. By now, the path to the woods has long since been memorized.

I run, my backpack pounding on my back with each step. I push myself to go even faster until my muscles are screaming and my lungs are burning like the sun.

All I know is that I need to figure out what is going on and Asher is ready to tell me.

I burst into the cabin and Asher is sitting there with his head in hands. He jumps as I fling the door open. Seeing me, though, he begins to deflate.

"Come on, then," He says in a melancholy manner.

I want to feel offended, but I know that he is just nervous to explain.

I follow Asher out as he trudges through the woods.

"Okay, stop," I order, stopping in my tracks.

Asher stops and looks at me in surprise, his deep brown eyes wide.

"I'm not leading you to your death!" I exclaim, throwing my hands on the air. "Look, whatever you are going to show me, whatever you are going to explain, is by your choice. If you don't want to tell me, let's just go back now."