The Quiet One - a George Harr...

By micmat

A few days after watching his mate Ringo get married, George finds himself reflecting on his life as a single... More

Chapter One
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Epilogue

Chapter 20

1.2K 35 23
By micmat

Kathy sat alone in the kitchen, her hand wrapped around a cup of tea. She glanced at the clock. 7.30am. The post would be here any moment! She took her cup and walked through to the hallway and took her seat, third stair from the bottom, and waited. She had taken to doing this for the last week, sitting and waiting for what she hoped would be her reply from George or Brian. Thankfully her parents were away. They'd decided to take a small cottage in Wales for ten days. It was unusual for them to do this kind of thing. Kathy had a scared feeling that this could also be where the Mother and Baby home was. She lightly stroked her stomach, mentally saying good morning to her baby inside. Late each evening when she knew her parents were asleep and she couldn't be interrupted, hidden in the privacy of her room, she was now looking closely for signs of her baby. There was a definate swell to her stomach now, not enough to suggest she could be pregnant, but all the same, it was there. The knowledge made Kathy smile but also filled her with concern. Her father had said she could only stay for as long as she did not show. How much longer could she hide the changes in her body from her parents, she did not know!

She must have dozed off, her head lolling againt the stair spindles. The knock on the door making her jump. Through the glass she could see the outline of a man. The postie!! She got up, flicked her fingers through her hair then opened the door. Her face fell.

"What do you want?" She began to close the door.

"Kathy don't. Please." He held out his hand, in it was a small brown envelope, "This is from George. He wanted me to deliver this personally so that he could be sure you got it. He's really worried about you Kathy." He looked behind him, galncing nervously. Look, can I come in? I'm feeling very conspicuous here. I think some girls on the road recognised me."

Kathy took the envelope before opening the door wider. Paul stepped into the hall then closed the door behind him. Kathy returned to her seat on the stairs and ripped open the letter. Paul could see she was shaking as she began to read.

"My Dearest Kathy,

Words can not express the myriad of emotions I felt as I read your letter. I can not believe how you have managed to stay as strong as you have when you consider firstly, what I did to you and then the way your parents are behaving. I am SO SO incredibly sorry for putting you through all this and would do anything to be able to go back in time to what you and I had before that night.

It's difficult to write what I really want to say because all my letters in and out are screened, especially to you. I have spoken at length with Paul. Listen to what he has to say PLEASE Kathy. I know you don't like him, but he can help you.

Please contact me via Paul anytime you need to. I am so glad that  you decided to come to me for help.

Thank you Kathy, for wanting to keep our baby.

I love you still.

George.

xxx"

Kathy hugged the letter to her chest, tears puring down her face. He was willing to help! Thank god someone believed what she wanted was right! She felt Paul rub her shoulder gently to offer her comfort.

"You OK?" Paul asked.

To his enormous surprise, Kathy stood up and hugged him. "I am now!" she told him, "Thank you for bringing this to me."

Paul smiled. "Any chance of a cup of tea then? I've been on the road since early doors!"

Kathy laughed, she knew what a fiend Paul was for a decent cup of tea. She took him through to the kitchen. He helped her get thigs organised and greatfully accepted Kathy's offer of toast and Jam. As they ate breakfast, they talked. Kathy found she liked Paul's company after the lonely silence her parents were now giving her.

"When did you see George?" she asked suddenly, "How is he? Where is he?"

"I saw George two days ago Kathy," said Paul, "He's in Wakfield Prison. He's doing better than I thought he would be but he was in a real mess over your letter. I took him that too. I didn't even realise Brian had an idea of the contents. He was upset but pleased about the baby too." Paul looked at her, "I couldn't believe it when John told me what had gone on. How are you?"

"Physically I'm doing OK. All the bruising and stuff from George cleared up ages ago but I did look like I'd been in the ring with Cassius Clay at first!" Kathy tried to make light of the situation.

Paul nodded. "And now?"

"Well, if you take away being arrested for refusing to give a statement about George, finding out I'm pregnant and being completely disowned by my parents, me? I'm OK!" Suddenly she began to cry. She wiped her face, fiercely apologising to Paul as she did do. He came round to her and hugged her as she cried. Finally she stopped and he moved away. "Thanks," she told him softly, "Do you know you're the first person I've spoken to in over a month that has actually asked me how I am! Before that, it was when John, Cyn and Julian came to visit me!"

"Can we talk now do you think?" Paul asked, looking at the clock, "I don't want to overstay my welcome or anything."

"You can't overstay anything Paul. My parents are away and will be for anpther week. I've not spoken to  a soul except you for nearly nine days! You can stay tonight if you want. There's four bedrooms and as for gossip, I don't think my reputation can be shattered any more than it is, do you?" For the first time, Kathy smiled her real smile.

"Thanks Kathy, I'd like to keep you company if that's you want." Paul looked nervous, "Kathy love, there's something I need to tell you. Then explain."

Kathy looked puzzled. "What do you mean?"

"What George did to you, it wasn't his fault. It was mine!" Paul looked down, Kathy could see he was embarressed.

"That doesn't make sense! You weren't even there when George ra.....Well you weren't!"

He looked up at her. For the first time Paul saw the startling green eyes that George had described to him so much. He realised just how pretty she was. He took a deep breath then tried to explain. "Kathy, do you remember the party at the Dorchester? When us lads went off to play drinking games?"

"Yes. Why?"

"Do you remember when you and Cyn watched us through the door."

"Yes. She told me about the games and said it showed how close all you lads were. She took me to the room so I could see. Why?"

"George has a rule. He will only have two drinks of the hard stuff before swappingto soft drinks only." Paul couldn't help but smile, "The reason for that being that the first time we were introduced to those daft games was in Hamburg. Georgie was only 17 and very niave! He had more than two drinks and was so ill he had to go to hospital!"

"I still don't understand though Paul. What's all this got to do with what happened later between George and I?"

"That night, you saw me persuade George to drink another glass of whiskey. Only it wasn't just whiskey."

"What was it?" Kathy looked concerned.

"There was a small amount of marujana in it too!"

"Why? I thought he was your mate. Why would you do that?"

"Because I thought it would piss you off. I didn't like you much Kathy. I thought that having George off his head would piss you off and you'd dump him. Sadly I'd forgotten how George has adverse reactions to the stuff though."

"Adverse reactions? In what way?" Kathy was eyeing him suspiciously.

"George gets really randy when he's had pot. Randy...and with a huge....a.huge erection that he can't get rid of. You have to remember that when this is in a hotel room with just the four of us, all of us high on the stuff, it seems hilarious." Paul sadly shook his head. Kathy could see tears in his eyes, "I never imagined, in the cold light of day, that my stupid silly joke could turn into this Kathy."

"You hated me that much?"

He gave her a sad smile. "That's the stupid part of it all Kathy love. I don't hate you. I think your a gorgeous, intelligent, witty and genuinely lovely woman. I know you loved George very much and that he adored you. When we were on tour, sometimes I shared a room with him. In an evening, when were were just chilling, he'd talk about you all the time. About your plans for the future and how much he loved you. He even asked for my advice on the best place to buy your engagement when we were in the States." He looked at her. "I'm so so sorry Kathy. Really I am. I thought I was loosing my best friend because of you. All he wanted was to be with you. I was angry and jealous Kathy. That's why I did it! Poor George was as much of a victim in this as you were! The saddest irony is, I've lost all my mates because of my stupid actons, not just George!"

Kathy stared at him, totally silent. "Part of me wants to hate you Paul McCartney." He could the anger in her eyes,  "I should hate you because of what you've done and how it has destroyed everything George and I wanted."

"It's would only be what I desrved Kathy."

"But, at the same time I could hug you!"

"What?"

"Don't you see, you might have caused this horrible mess but knowing what you did means that I know George didn't set out to hurt me that night. That he had no control of his actions. It explains why he had no knowledge of any of events from playing drinking games until he woke up the following day!" Suddenly she smiled at him. "Paul, you need to understand what a difference it makes to me, knowing that George didn't plan to hurt me. That my George was always the kind, gentle loving man I thought him to be! Oh thank you for coming here to tell me all this! Thank you."

Paul looked at her. He was stunned. "I don't know what to say," he said slowly, "This isn't the reaction I was expecting. I imagined tears, shouting, threats even not this! Kathy Marshall, I can see now how George fell for you and wanted to marry you. You really are a wonderful woman!"

Kathy smiled but blushed. Paul took her hand in his, "I am truely truely sorry for my part in this. I've spoken to the police already. They seem to think it could a huge difference what happens to Georgie now!"

Kathy looked pleased. "Seriously?"

Paul nodded. "Right, now for the other reason I'm here."

"What's that?"

"You. Kathy love, George wanted me to come today to tell you about what I did but also for something else. George is desperate to help you financially, as much as he can. But he has a problem. Because George is on remand Kathy, all his access to his bank accounts has been frozen."

"NO!" Kathy looked distraught!

"Wait sweetheart! It's not the end of it all though. He's still going to help you!" he said softly, taking hold of his hand.

"How?"

"I've agreed with George to act on his behalf. To help you in anyway I can, practical and financial, for as long as you need."

"But...."

He shushed her. "George and I have agreed this. Once his access has been reinstated then he will pay me back. Kathy, I'm here to help you sort out what you need in order for you to have your baby and know you can keep it without being worried about money!"

She burst in to tears, she gulped great big sobs!

"Hey now," said Paul, pulling a handkercief from his pocket, "You're supposed to be pleased not be crying!"

"I'm just so relieved," she cried, "My pregnancy is beginning to show Paul. Mum and Dad said I'd have to go when it does. Without the money help, I was facing having my baby taken from me and adopted!"

"Not anymore Kathy love!" Paul gave her a swift hug, "Not with Uncle Paul here to help!"

Kathy began to giggle. "Uncle Paul?"

"Well yeah!" he explained, "I'm Uncle Paul to Julian Lennon and Zac Starkey so why can't I be Uncle Paul to Junior Harrison?"

Kathy just had to laugh. She was so relieved. Everything was going to be alright now!" 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.1K 88 13
Y/N is married to George Harrison, but on the night of her wedding someone shows her that he can change her life forever.
21.5K 1K 26
"It's not like this was supposed to happen." John explained. "But there is still the fact that it happened." Paul said. "Well I guess we're just stuc...
5K 187 15
George Harrison had it all. He had his best friends beside him, the Beatles became popular, and he had an awesome girlfriend. But when he breaks his...
3.9K 230 17
What if Paul left before The Beatles were even The Beatles? It's a modern AU where Paul's mother dies giving birth to Mike and Jim blames Mike for he...