True Love Hunting

By thewitchsscribe

She had run away to escape her past, into the very arms of the creatures her family were known for hunting do... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chaper 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41

Chapter 23

1K 47 5
By thewitchsscribe

I stood out on the log deck that overlooked Forêt Mystique, a place I had wanted to call my home. My heart felt sick as I clung to the phone at the center of my chest. I would never be able to escape my past. Why had I even tried? I should never have come here; I had put them all in danger. Aurora, the Barretts, and Spencer. Spencer. What was I going to tell him? How was I going to be able to say goodbye to him? The breeze whipped my hair around me and pulled at the thin fabric of the oversized shirt of Spencer's that I had slipped on to make the phone call. Tears pricked my eyes.

I heard him come out on the deck behind me. What was I going to tell him? I had no idea. I swallowed as I felt him come up next to me and lean on the railing. I loved him. How was I ever going to be able to leave him to protect him?

The tears gathering in my eyes finally welled to spill over my lids and down my face. A warm blanket was wrapped around my shoulders, and Spencer turned me to face him. I bit my lip as our eyes met. I saw such pain in his yellow eyes that I knew he had heard.

"I guess you heard," was all I managed to say. He framed my face with his hands as he looked into my eyes.

"I won't accept it, Lenny. I won't let you leave."

"I have to. I should have known better than to settle anywhere and put roots down. I should never have come here. I'm so sorry. The longer I stay, the more danger I put you in. I will speak with Cassius, but then I will leave." I reached up and gently ran my fingers down the side of his face and jaw, trying to memorize it. "I don't know how I will live without you in my life," I whispered.

**************

Spencer was dying inside. He had finally found the woman he wanted to share everything with, and now she was going to run away? She had shared her life's story and told him that she couldn't love another because she loved him, and now she wanted to just pick up and flee? He wouldn't stand for it. What had she seen precisely?

"What did you see, Lenny?" She took a steadying breath and told him all that she had seen.

"It's why I have to leave. I can't put you in danger. I love you too much."

"Lenny, I'm not going to just let you leave. I'll go with you if I have to." I shook my head at him.

"You can't leave. You have a home and a job."

"So do you; need I remind you."

"I'm putting you in danger. If I leave, then you will be safe," I said.

"I'd follow you, and you know it. I'd still be at the same risk. You're safer here with all of us around you, Lenny. You can't run forever and still have that life you wanted to leave them to find. If you run, he wins," he said. I sighed. He was right. He continued, "There was no indicator of when he would come, and if you leave, it only opens up the possibility that it happens when you truly are alone."

"So I'm to just live with an ax over my head?" I asked him.

"If you run, you live embracing that. No. Live life, be smart about things, listen to your gift and embrace having some of us in your life that want to protect you. I think the Barrett brothers will share my opinion on that in particular." He wrapped his arms around me, pulling me close, and laid his head on mine. "Come on, let's go back to bed. You need to sleep on it anyway."

He led me back into the house and back into his bedroom. I laid the blanket over the end of the bed and crawled back in beside him. He pulled me against him, wrapping an arm around me. I couldn't shake the horrible feeling the vision had left me with, but being held by Spencer made me feel better.

The following morning Spencer was missing when I woke up. I rubbed my eyes and slipped from the warm bed. I padded down the hallway barefoot, looking for him, when a delicious smell hit my nose, making my mouth water. I came around the corner to find him cooking us breakfast.

"Fresh squeezed orange juice?" He asked me.

"That sounds amazing," I answered in awe.

We sat down and ate at his dining room table, and then both got ready to head to campus. I donned the same outfit as the previous day, but hopefully, by the end of the evening, I would own a few more options.

"So are we just showing up together, hoping no one sees us?" He laughed as he helped me up into his jeep.

"There probably won't be too many people around in the teacher's parking lot, don't worry."

We arrived in the teacher's parking lot, and Spencer had been right. We made it into the classroom, and both started preparing for the day. The first class entered, and I left to return some books to the library and check out a few more that Spencer had requested.

The rest of the day seemed to drag by. During the last hour of the day, I remembered that it was my first payday, and my spirits rose a little. Spencer had offered to drop me off at the Barrett's on his way home, so I told him I'd meet him at his jeep after stopping by the office for my first paycheck; I had no bank for direct deposit.

We pulled up in front of the manor, and I reached for the door handle to get out when he reached over to me and pulled me into a kiss.

"No disappearing on me, Sunshine. No matter what you fear, no more running," He softly admonished me.

I kissed him again and whispered, "I promise. I'll see you tomorrow?"

"Yeah." He let me get out this time and stayed until I entered the manor. I looked over my shoulder to see him give Cassius a nod back, and then the door was shut.

************

Spencer made his way home quickly, thinking about Lenny. She truly was his Sunshine. The sun was the opposite of the moon, which darkened his world at times. He would have offered to stay with her at her cabin if she wanted him to if it made her feel safer, but tonight was the full moon, and he had to go home before the change. He would still ensure her safety while he was out running around as a wolf. How he wished he had been able to tell her about what he really was the previous night. He would have to find another opportunity soon.

***************

"Nadya, how are you feeling today? Any better than when you called me?" Cassius asked me after shutting the door after me.

I nodded at him, saying, "Better but not entirely convinced that I should be staying here, endangering everyone I care about." He guided me into the sitting room with a hand between my shoulder blades.

"I see that Spencer had something to say about you leaving. Are you still feeling the need to leave?" I sighed as we sat on one of the couches next to one another.

"Not as strong as I was before, but I still feel guilty about possibly endangering you all."

"Was there anything in your vision that gave you an indicator of time or place?" I shook my head, thinking back through the vision. There wasn't anything.

"May I?" Cassius asked, holding his hands out towards my head.

I wasn't sure what he intended to do, but I trusted him, so I nodded and said, "Sure." He smiled at me, slowly reached out, and placed his hands on my head, centered on my temples. He closed his eyes, and I felt my vision return to me in picture. It went through the whole vision of me ending up on the ground, helpless at his feet.

It felt like Cassius had pulled the vision from my mind almost. Ending on the scene of me cowering had me frustrated. I needed to try to remember everything that I had been taught about fighting and defending myself.

I wouldn't let him take me alive, but perhaps that was his goal anyways; to kill me? I guess if he intended on murdering me, then it would be better if I was alone. If I called for help, then they would be endangered. I had to do this alone.

"No, Nadya. You mustn't face this alone. We will protect you." I was shocked at Cassius's words. I know I hadn't said any of that out loud.

"You can hear me, can't you? This is not the first time you've reacted to my thoughts," I thought.

"Yes, Nadya. Dragos and Mica have similar giftings, though neither has the patience to exercise or perfect its use. Dragos' use has only extended to his pursuit of college women." He was a lot more gifted than I had initially assumed, as were the other two.

"That's how you were able to enter my dreams and save me, wasn't it?"

"Yes. You are not alone, Nadya, as I have said before. You don't need to face this alone. We are all here for you, and there are more of us than him."

"Three to one is still not good enough odds against a Chivute, Cassius. Human housekeepers don't count at all." It was the public excuse for Aurora to live with them, though; I knew the real reason was for her safety. Her relationship with Micah made it necessary.

"Don't you mean five to one?"

"Do you have more vampire brothers around that I'm unaware of, Cassius?"

"Don't be too quick to count yourself out, though I would prefer you to stay out of the fighting if it comes down to that. And you've forgotten Spencer." He finally released his hold on my head at the mention of Spencer.

"He is not a vampire."

"Mmmmm, no, he is not, but he can hold his own, I assure you. You can't travel the world, studying mythical creatures of all kinds, without the means to protect yourself. Even against my kind, he can hold his own, I assure you."

That gave me something to really think about; what was I missing? Cassius seemed convinced that Spencer was more deadly than he let on. Is that why he didn't seem as afraid of my vision as I thought he should be?

Cassius laughed and nodded. I pursed my lips in irritation. Cassius hearing my thoughts was helpful at times but could become annoying.

He laughed again, louder, and reached up to stroke my cheek saying, "I have missed spending time with you, Nadya."

I narrowed my eyes at him, half in play, and let the sarcastic thought answer him, "Because you've missed listening in on the mind of a Chivute, no doubt. Sneaky vampire."

He laughed hard this time and laid a hand on my cheek before looking into my eyes and answering, "Your mind, yes. Not because you're a Chivute but because you are Nadya. I enjoy being with you."

"Thanks."

"If you ever need me in your dreams again, Nadya, please call for me. Think about me really hard, and I will come to you. You do not need to be so afraid. I can protect you there. Let me know if you have any more visions. You are a part of this family now, and we will protect you."

A part of this family? A new family? I couldn't help smiling at the thought. Had I found a home here at last? What if my old family never gave up coming after me? What then?

He smiled and said, "Then we will deal with that as it comes. You are home Nadya, no matter what decisions you make."

"Thank you, Cassius, for rescuing me in that place. I needed you, and you were there for me when no one else could have been. I could have been lost for days without you," I whispered.

He reached for me and pulled me to him, embracing me as he answered, "I will always be there for you, Nadya." He held me briefly, and my eyes drifted close at the feeling. It wasn't until Aurora entered the room that he slowly released me.

"There you are! I should have known he would steal you away for himself. Come look at what I have cleaned out of my closet! I switched majors from business, so there are quite a few nice pieces I think will be perfect for your job! Come on," she drawled while pulling me up off of the couch I rested on.

I gave Cassius one last look over my shoulder as I let her drag me behind her. I would call him soon for one of our reading times together. I saw his responsive smile at that thought before I turned to follow Aurora up the stairs.

Once in her room, I looked at all she had pulled out of her closet and was amazed. There were a lot of nice outfits that could be mixed and matched with different pieces, including a suit, pencil skirt, and a selection of blouses. She had even thrown in a couple of different pairs of high heels and knee-high boots. It was an entire professional wardrobe!

"Aurora, this is amazing! Are you sure you want to get rid of these things? They would serve you so well no matter what field you went in or what major you studied at college."

She smiled, saying, "Yeah, I'm sure. If you want everything, let's get it packed up and ready to be carried back to your house. Is Cassius walking you home?"

"It would be my pleasure," Cassius smiled when I asked him down in his study. It was either him or Dragos, and I definitely preferred him. "Let me carry those for you as well," he said, reaching for the garment bags I had slung over my shoulder. I handed them over, knowing fighting was useless, and fell into step beside him as we headed toward the back of the manor towards the woods. I couldn't help wondering where my wolf was as we walked toward the cottage; it had been days since I'd seen him.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

34.9K 953 75
"Look at you, completely at our mercy," Kade sneered. "How does it feel knowing that someone else holds the power, witch?" Kieran added making them l...
12.6K 1K 32
မင်းကိုပိုင်ဆိုင်ခွင့်နဲ့ပတ်သပ်လာရင် ကံကြမ္မာကိုတောင်စိန်ခေါ်ပစ်မယ်ငယ်ငယ်
106K 4.3K 61
Living as a human in the supernatural world is not easy. Not for Nebula; a free-spirit in search of her long lost brother. Alaric is known as the D...
144K 3.6K 48
An original and empowering shapeshifter/werewolf mystery. Lily's abusive life with her childhood pack is about to change forever when she's assigned...