Chapter 5

As I started the long walk to the college, I pulled my book bag over my head and shut the cottage door behind me. Making my way down the forest pathway, I kept a vigilant eye on my surroundings. At last, I made it to the minor road that led out to the main highway. A yawn stretched my face as my sleepless night insisted on invading my peaceful morning walk. I had been awake all night thinking about the wolf.

Making it to the college on foot every morning, before the students, was going to be tiring. I wouldn't be able to allow myself to stay up so late reading as I tended to do at times. I guess that's what weekends would be for. Before starting my journey, I had stolen a glance around the outside and was excited to see the possibilities.

A small fenced area that had once been a garden was nestled up against the cottage, facing the forest path. I couldn't wait to get home and start getting my hands dirty. Would Aurora mind lending me a little more money until I got my first paycheck so that I could buy seeds? There was also a small well made from stones on the opposite side of the house and a small barn with a woodshed directly across from the cottage, where stacks of firewood waited for my late reading nights. I couldn't help but smile at the thought of my snuggly cottage in the woods as I walked down the sidewalk. It was a reader's dream come true. I felt free there. Free from my past, free from my family, and free from the coward of a man I had thought loved me before he had thrown me to the wolves, literally.

I looked put together this morning as I entered the college and walked past the secretary at the front desk. I greeted her kindly, despite her deception the previous day. Now that I wasn't going to lose my job over it, it was rather funny that I hadn't known who Spencer was. I walked down the hallway that was filling with students on my way to the classroom when a tall figure stepped into my path. I looked up to see Liam smiling down at me.

I smiled back at him, saying, "Good morning Liam. Excuse me. I have to get to class."

"You have a few minutes yet; what's your rush?"

"I can't be late, Liam. It's a job. I'm not a student who can miss classes if I want, and I must arrive before the students. So I actually will be late, excuse me."

"Let me walk with you then," he offered as he fell into step next to me. "So you work here as a TA?"

"Yes. I'm not a student."

"How come? Don't you want to attend college?"

"Not right now. Some people have to work before they can attend."

"Oh. Well, would you like to come to a student party anyway? There is one happening tomorrow night here on campus." He held the door to the classroom open for me and followed me in, awaiting my answer.

"I don't know, Liam. Since I'm technically not a student and working here, I probably shouldn't."

"Teachers show up all the time to student body functions. Why couldn't the other staff?" We had reached my TA desk, and I set my book bag down on it.

"It's not that I couldn't come to the party, Liam. I just don't think I could attend it with you. You're a student, and I work here, even if I'm not technically faculty. I'm not sure that fraternization between staff and students is considered ok."

"Like you said, you're not a teacher, so I think it's probably a gray area. How about you come, and if I just happen to run into you there, we can hang out? Maybe have a dance?" My gift flared with a sense of unease and warning.

"Ummm," I didn't know what to say. Was this a gray area, or was it not? "I'll think about it, ok?" His eyes roved over me as his hand came up to his chin in thought. Watching him peruse me with his eyes had me desiring to cover myself with a blanket, so I just settled for crossing my arms.