POPULAR | āœ“

By bellswaffles

she was popular. he was new. he was her way out. āœ§ second place in the Chaos Awards! āœ§ Kendra Ross is popula... More

ā™” | introduction | ā™”
ā¬– | character aesthetics | ā¬–
ā™« | PLAYLIST | ā™«
[1] popular
[2] home at last
[3] new guy
[4] are we friends?
[5] makeup & letdowns
[6] my apologies to singing sunshine's sleepaway camp
[7] last names
[8] I am your substitute teacher, mr. bloot
[9] drama queens & unspoken truths
[10] found your undies?
[11] toni's crunchy pizza
[12] they're dating?
[13] should've said no
[14] I'm sorry.
[15] whatever
[16] let me explain
[17] wait, what?
[18] the list, part one
[19] the list, part two
[20] for better or for worse
[21] of course
[22] you had me at bookstore
[23] you're doing perfect
[24] better than expected
[25] I just punched him in the face
[26] detention & flattery
1k milestone! <3
[27] thy wise one has enlightened thee
[28] I'm sorry, okay?
[30] ben & jerry's
2k milestone! <3
[31] what a moron
[bonus chapter] - archer the archer
[bonus chapter] - homecoming
[bonus chapter] - cookie dough and wattpad confessions
[bonus chapter] - laser tag & my backstabbing boyfriend
[bonus chapter] - after
[ bonus chapter ] - the anniversary
[ bonus chapter ] - college
* random stuff *

[29] just friends

255 22 68
By bellswaffles

Bree just stares at me, dazed by my previous question. I look anywhere but her face, because it's getting awkward.

"You want to be friends again?" It's nothing but a question. No emotion, no anger, no disbelief, no happiness. It's just a question.

"I'm sorry, Bree. I messed up," I admit, tapping my fingers against my legs.

"So did I," She says with absolute clarity. "But I don't wish it were any different." I stare at her, slowly mulling over what she just said.

"What?" She shakes her head.

"I don't wish we were friends, Kendra. I still-I...I just don't want to, okay? My life's been perfect these past few weeks. I don't need you to come around and mess it up." I stare at her, my eyes wide. I put my hands on my hips and scoff.

"Well, damn. I tried, Bree. I guess there's nothing else to do now." She snorts, rolling her eyes, annoyance plastered all over her face; her narrowed eyes, her lips pulled into a frown, her perfect eyebrows drawn together.

"Yeah, guess so."

"Bye," I say as casually as possible, walking back over to my table.

"I'd ask you how it went," Archer says, watching me as I sit down. "But judging by-well- everything that just happened, I'm not even gonna ask." I bite the inside of my cheek and dig through my lunch.

"Well, yeah. She told me she didn't want me to ruin her life."

"Ouch."

"Correct." I say, coming up with a sandwich and a container full of pineapple slices.

"Well, there's nothing left for me to do," I say, unwrapping my sandwich. "I apologized, I asked her if she wanted to be my friend again, and she said no. Case closed. Thanks for coming everyone. You can go home now, buh' bye." Archer laughs.

"Well someone's salty."

I shrug.

"Like you said, you did what you could. She said no. That's okay." I bite my lip and rip a piece of my sandwich apart.

We fall into a comfortable silence for a few minutes, both of us caught up in the whirlwind of our own thoughts.

I'm shoving pineapple slices in my mouth when he breaks the silence.

"Did she say anything about still liking you?" He says quickly. I roll my eyes, chewing on the multiple slices I just shoved down my throat.

"She's got a girlfriend and yet you still find a way to be jealous," I laugh, sticking my fork in my container. "You've hit a new low." He just laughs.

"Well, sorry." I laugh.

"Apology accepted."

"I was being sarcastic.

I roll my eyes. "I don't care."
                              __________

This may have possibly been the longest day of school ever. No classes flew by. I looked at the clock every five minutes, and it was like it never changed.

Finally, when the last bell rings, I jump up and race to my locker, entering in my code at rapid speed and throwing it open. I have to get out of here.

I'm stopped by the swarms of students filing out the door, drowning in chatter and laughs. High school. What a place.

The doors are so close, yet so far. All I want to do is be greeted by the sun.

As soon as I'm out the doors I race to my bus, looking forward to going home and doing nothing.
    __________

"How was your day?" I shove a Capri-Sun and a pack of crackers in my sweatshirt pocket.

"The usual," I say, looking at my mom. She just shakes her head.

"The usual as in...?"

"I went, I learned, I ate, I learned some more, and then I came home again, mom. The usual." She just sighs, a hint of a smile playing at her lips.

"Well, was it a good day?" I shrug.

"Yeah, it was fine. Do we have anything today?"

"No, unless you want to come with me to the bank and the grocery store." I nod and make my way towards the stairs.  "Don't you have homework?"

"Yes, yes I do." She laughs.

"I'm just gonna do nothing for a while. Can you call me down when it's time for dinner?"

"Sure."

I run up the stairs and flop on my bed. Then I pull out my laptop and search YouTube.

Times a wastin'.
                             _________

I'm beginning to realize school is just the same thing over and over again, a whirlwind of classes with things I can't process. Then it's off to the next class. Then the next. Then the next. It doesn't feel different. In the beginning of school I always thought it did, but I'm beginning to see that it's just the same thing.

But I don't want to think about next year. Or the year after that. I want to focus on what I'm doing right now, but I don't want to do it.

I feel like I'm in my own little bubble. I will never go to college. I will never get a job. I will never get married. Because I'm Kendra, and I'm sixteen, and maybe I'll stay sixteen.

Wishful thinking? I don't know.

The bell rings and everyone around me shoots up and runs to the door. I take my time to pack up, knowing I have lunch next so it won't matter if I'm late.

Archer slides into my peripheral vision. I smile. "Hey." He smiles back.

"Hi. Ready?" I nod, sling my bag over my shoulder, and we walk out together, just like we have for the past few months, and will for the rest of the year. Until summer comes. And then it ends. And then we figure out which classes we have together next year, if any. What if I lose him? What if we-

"What are you thinking about?" He breaks the silence, a bit of worry in his tone.

"The future," I say flatly, shrugging. "What's gonna happen?" He shakes his head.

"No one knows, Ken. We've gotta wait for it." I nod and look at him. He's staring at the floor with a look I'm not used to; a look that means he's not telling me something.

"What are you thinking about?" I ask, biting my lip. He looks directly at me, and that's when I know something is wrong, just by the way he's looking at me.

"I just think...things, with us, haven't been serious. Do you still consider us...a thing?" I stare at him and nod, fear building up inside my chest.

"I do. Yeah, I do. Do...do you?" Where is this coming from? Has he been thinking about it? Has he? What?

"I don't know," he says, and all I can focus on is what he's saying. I don't feel anything. "I just feel like we jumped into this too fast. I like you. I do. That's not going to change. But we just met a few months ago and then we started dating almost instantly."

"What are you saying?" I feel like I'm watching this from someone else's point of view. Because this is not happening to me.

"I'm not gonna go all cliche on you. I just think we should...be friends? Just friends. For now." He finishes, and I haven't even processed half of it when he's looking at me expectantly.

I nod. I'm numb. I go through the rest of my day. We sit together at lunch. It's mostly silent. We part and then I go to science and math and social studies and art and gym and then I go home. And then I throw my bag on the couch and tell my mom my day was great. I run up the stairs and slam my door shut.

I find it hard to walk so I just slide down against the door, staring at my socks. They never match. They never will.

"Just friends." I repeat softly, my mind blank.

Just friends.

Please vote if you enjoyed! ♡

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

24.3M 1.1M 61
Now available in paperback! "I LOVE IT!" - CarniaHolmes "I'm going to break your nose, because I don't like your face," Carter said. She pointed...
1M 29.2K 43
For Carter Vance, popularity is a world that she has purposely distanced herself from for many years. Why feed in to the totally superficial, social...
3.9M 115K 59
* * * Lauren Collins is a good girl. She's responsible and shy but has a tight knit group of friends, excellent grades, and is dating Thomas Clark, a...
15.8K 255 5
[[MATURE]] 16 year old Emily was disgusted, to say the least, when she found out that the biggest nerd on campus, Justin, had a mega crush on her. Em...