The Challenge of the Masters

By DianaTheThird

♈ - Book II of the Astral Guardians Series - ♌ A princess who has the fate of the worlds in her hands. A prin... More

⊱⊰ 1: Lionheart [New] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 2: Empathy [New] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 3: Obstacle [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 4: Emotions [New] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 5: A Small Town Called Io [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 6: Rune [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 7: Question of Control [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 8: When the Enemy Knocks the Door [New] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 9: Always on My Mind [New] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 10: On the Road [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 11: Lucid Dreams [New] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 12: Home [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 13: Idealism of the Dragon King [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 14: Welcome to London [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 15: A Mother's Heart [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 16: The Guardian that Steals Light [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 17: Sagittarius [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 18: Meet the Malulus [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 19: The Chosen Ones' Quest [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 20: The Only Treasure [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 21: Appearances [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 22: Deceit [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 23: Payback [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 25: Shield of Cancer [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 26: Kaus Australis [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 27: A New Journey [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 28: Faded Snapshots [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 29: Saranyu of Ribawe [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 30: A Heart's Desire [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 31: Lunara [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 32: Lady Urié [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 33: Whispers of the Mysterious Master [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 34: Lotus Flower [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 35: Arrival of the Royal Family [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 36: Capricorn [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 37: Virgo's Wish [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 38: An Invisible Threat [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 39: A Twist of Fate [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 40: Departure [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 41: Enemy's Territory ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 42: Park of Endless Caves ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 43: Risk ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 44: Ellanie's Tale ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 45: Haven ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 46: No Way Out ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 47: The Earth Master's Call ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 48: Rampage ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 49: Reunion ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 50: Fire and Earth ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 51: After the Fall ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 52: An Unusual Family ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 53: Two Worlds ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 54: At the Mother Island ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 55: Song of the Water Goddess ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 56: Under the Sea ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 57: Regrets ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 58: Accords ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 59: The Siren's Call ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 60: Riddle of the Hidden Master ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 61: Where the Waters Don't Meet ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 62: Gas, Solid, Liquid and a Foe ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 63: Circumstances ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 64: Fate of the Unknown ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 65: New Beginnings ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ Epilogue ⊱⊰
~ Author's Note ~
⊱⊰ Teaser + Announcement ⊱⊰

⊱⊰ 24: A Trick of the Mind [Revised] ⊱⊰

792 98 180
By DianaTheThird

Arisa took a step backward; she could hear her heart hammering against her chest. Weakness struck her knees as shock flowed through her veins.

Gemini smiled. "We finally meet again, Arisa."

Arisa didn't say anything as she couldn't find her voice. She felt uneasy seeing that Gemini was using Aadila's appearance and tone.

She tried to remain calm, but the horror of this Guardian's past actions haunted her. This was the Guardian that had been willing to kill her at all costs. She clenched her fists, telling herself that she was a Guardian now, meaning that they both were of equal power.

"I had hoped my brother would at least keep Libra busy." Gemini flipped her silver dagger. "And you would find me before Scorpio."

"S-Scorpio is here?" Arisa examined her surroundings, nervousness spreading in her veins.

Through the partially hidden moonlight, only tall dark water walls met her gaze in this spacious road.

"She is," replied Gemini. "But we parted ways due to creative differences. You see, I want you dead right away. But she wants Leo to suffer and fail—and for that to happen, she needs to capture you alive."

At the mention of Leo, a sudden sorrow pierced Arisa's heart. She remembered the rumors that said he would kill her to prove that he was an Eterian. She touched her chest, breathing heavily.

"Zen," she said, almost in a whisper.

"It's En," said Gemini, her tone firm. "I see that you're still denying the truth. How sad."

Arisa gazed at the dark sandy ground, curling her fingers. Gemini was right. To this day, she still couldn't see him as Reiji's son. Whenever she tried to forget him, their childhood memories would always pop in her mind. The eight years of their friendship were difficult to forget, giving her an impossible hope that he would change.

"It's your fault." Gemini's voice forced Arisa to look at her. "If he hadn't met you, his future wouldn't be at stake."

Arisa remained quiet, remembering the conversation between the Eterian soldiers that had invaded her house. They had mentioned how they wanted Zen dead for shaming his people. Her heart tightened at that memory.

"You should be ashamed of yourself, Arisa." Gemini dropped her dagger; it didn't touch the ground as it floated around her. "You bring trouble to others. First En, now Sagittarius' cousin. You should die so you won't cause any more trouble for anyone."

As Gemini's words shattered her heart, Arisa summoned her sword. Her hand trembled as she tightened her grip on it.

What have I done to deserve so much hatred from her?

A sudden realization hit Arisa. She remembered Garoh mentioning that Gemini was jealous of her. She sighed, wondering how such a beautiful feeling like love could corrupt someone.

"I understand your feelings for him." Arisa took a deep breath. "But a woman in love shouldn't hate another. She shouldn't wish for her death just because he was once good friends with her. Instead, she should wish for his happiness.

"After everything that happened in the Forbidden Lands, I'm sure Zen never had any feelings for me. You don't have to worry about me getting in your way."

 A light breeze with silver streams surrounded Gemini. "Didn't I mention before that as long as he's happy, I don't care who he chooses as his partner? You're the source to his unhappiness; I will save him the trouble of killing you and kill you myself."

Clank!

Despite being covered with her crimson armor, Arisa could feel the heavy wind attempting to penetrate her skin. Her hand trembled as the floating dagger clashed against the blade that protected her.

Arisa tightened her grip on her sword, fighting to deflect the silver dagger. The wind kept following Gemini's hand gesture as she forced her weapon to break Arisa's blade.

Arisa felt heaviness pulling her heart, feeling as if something was approaching her. With an instinct, she pushed the dagger away and rushed sideways. Gemini fought not to fall as she attempted to punch Arisa's back with a fist surrounded by a wild wind.

Before her opponent could regain her pose, Arisa aimed her blade at her, only to stop midway. She quickly kicked the Guardian. Gemini grunted and almost immersed in the giant dark water walls that surrounded them.

Gemini laughed. "Even though your strength has increased since your inheritance, a simple kick won't be enough to stop me."

"Then I'll do my best to use it," said Arisa, recovering her breath. "You could have a little pride and show your real appearance."

Arisa knew that the girl with long scarlet braids standing before her wasn't Aadila. Despite that, she couldn't help but feel uncomfortable raising her sword against her.

"Oh, so this appearance is holding you back." Gemini turned around slowly as if she was showing a new dress to a friend. "Unfortunately for you, I have no plans of showing my real self to you. You shall die with the image of a friend killing you."

Gemini summoned her dagger and disappeared. Sounds of two steel blades clashing broke the air as Arisa protected herself. Her gaze met Aadila's dark brown eyes as both of them fought to bring their blades down.

"So you can predict which side of your surroundings I'll teleport to." Gemini slowly moved away Arisa's sword. "How annoying."

Gemini attempted another strike with her weapon. Arisa walked a few steps backward. Gemini almost fell as she once again failed to pierce her target. Arisa grabbed her opponent's dark arm, tightening her grip. Closing her eyes, she punched her opponent's gut with a fire fist.

A quick scream of pain filled the atmosphere. When Arisa opened her eyes, she saw the braided-head girl kneeled on the ground. Gemini touched her belly, coughing.

"How dare you hurt me." Gemini glared at her. "You must have left a disgusting wound on it. You'll pay for this, Arisa!"

Waves appeared on the dark giant water walls as a gust with silver streams formed in the area, concentrating on Gemini. As the girl shakily stood up, the gust surrounding her intensified, covering her figure. A few seconds passed before the heavy wind disappeared.

"What?" Arisa frowned as she didn't spot a silver armored figure.

A second later, Arisa felt something heavy smash into her right side. She failed to maintain her posture and fell several steps away from her opponent. She touched her right arm, feeling a piercing pain spreading in it.

Before she could stand up, she felt heaviness pulling her heart again. She rolled to her left side. Gemini's blade pierced the dark ground as she materialized on her target's area.

Gemini twisted her tongue. "What an annoying ability you have."

Arisa didn't reply. She shakily stood up and summoned her blade. She rushed to Gemini, who disappeared before her sword could strike her.

Hey, do you want to know where your friend is? Gemini's voice echoed in Arisa's mind.

Arisa touched her wounded right arm and glanced around. Through the spacious path that only had dark water walls garnishing the environment, she didn't spot the Silver Guardian.

Arisa didn't drop her guard. "Where is she?"

She couldn't imagine how Aadila felt, being held hostage by these despicable beings.

Another heavy wind blew in the atmosphere. The phenomenon was so strong that some of the water walls formed mini paths. Arisa fought to keep her feet stuck on the ground, attempting not to fall. As the heavy wind slowly disappeared, Arisa's gaze met multiple silver armored figures.

"Can you guess?" said the figures in unison.

"Well then," she said, readying her sword, "I'll force you to tell me."

The figures laughed as Arisa charged towards them and slashed each one of them.

"Wrong," said one copy as Arisa struck it. It then disappeared with a light breeze.

Can you find the real me, Arisa? Gemini taunted her in her mind.

"Wrong." Another copy giggled before it disappeared with a light breeze.

As the figures laughed, Arisa didn't give up and attacked them. For a minute, she trapped herself in a cycle of attacks, swinging her sword and using her martial art skills, despite the pain in her right hand slowing her down. At times she would protect herself as a few copies charged towards her.

Another minute passed before Arisa focused her special ability on her right hand while striking the silver armored figures with her left. As the crimson flames gathered on her armored palm, Arisa shakily raised her right arm. A light pain spread on it, freezing her for a short second. She fought the pain and summoned her special element.

A crimson flare wall appeared between her and the silver armored figures. Arisa gestured with her hand and the wall followed her command, moving forward. As the flames bathed every copy they could reach, they quickly vanished, taking the figures along.

"There you are." Arisa dashed forward, aiming her blade at her target.

Gemini gasped as the blade traveled through her chest.

"What?" Arisa's eyes widened. She had planned to strike a non-vital point.

She removed her blade, now stained with blood. Gemini's silver armor slowly disappeared, as if it was joining the atmosphere.

Gemini coughed. "H-how could you?"

Arisa's heart sank like stone as she recognized that voice. When the silver armor fully vanished, her heart pounded against her chest. She recognized the braided-head girl, who looked at her with a painful expression.

"A-Aadila?" Arisa's voice barely left her lips.

"I knew it," said Aadila, her voice quiet, "you Guardians are monsters."

Aadila fell on the ground with a thud, red substance spreading on her bright top. Arisa froze as she saw no more life on that fallen body.

"Hm," said a voice behind Arisa, slowly approaching her. "This situation sure brings memories."

With shock still running in her blood, Arisa slowly turned around. Her gaze met Gemini, standing several steps away in front of her.

"You have a gift to destroy lives, Arisa," said Gemini. "This is the second life you've destroyed and if I don't stop you, you'll destroy En's life too."

"Second life?" asked Arisa, ignoring the part about Zen.

As the sound of running water filled the silence, Gemini gazed at Arisa, tilting her head.

"Don't tell me," said Gemini, folding her arms. "You forgot about your murdering of that poor girl in the Forbidden Lands."

Despite being confused with the Silver Guardian's statement, Arisa's heart raced.

"I-I never murdered anyone," said Arisa, her voice shaky. "I would never kill a human being."

Arisa clenched her fists, trembling. She took a deep breath, telling herself that Gemini was trying to trick her.

Gemini laughed. "You have a short memory, Arisa. Alright, I'll refresh your memories again."

As a light breeze with thin silver streams blew past her, a cry of pain invaded Arisa's ears.

Her eyes widened. "Nina?"

Arisa's heart sped as she shook her head to silence that desperate scream. Nothing; Nina's cry wouldn't stop playing in her mind.

She blinked continuously and looked at her front. Her brows arched as she found herself on snowy land with a violent wind blowing around it.

"This place is..." Arisa glanced around.

She froze when she saw herself slicing the arm of a red-headed girl in a white fighting suit. Nina's scream of pain cut the air. Arisa looked away as Nina touched her bleeding arm. Despite looking away, Arisa couldn't silence the voice calling her and screaming in pain.

"N-no." Arisa rubbed her armored arms. "That's not true. Everyone knows that you killed Nina and Bastian."

Gemini giggled. "Your memories say otherwise."

Arisa, why? Nina's words echoed in her mind, followed by her cry of pain.

Arisa touched her head, fighting against the tears that were threatening to flow. "N-no. I-I didn't kill anyone. You're trying to trick me."

"You think so?" Gemini laughed. "This is all the truth. No matter if you believe me or not, you're still a murderer."

"No!" protested Arisa. "I'm not a murderer. Get out of my head!"

Arisa closed her eyes, trying to avoid that horrible scene. But as she closed them, she saw images of Nina's lifeless body, stained with blood that mixed with the snow.

She opened her eyes. Nina's cry of despair invaded her ears.

Her knees trembled and she fell into them. What have I done?

Murderer. Gemini's cold voice haunted her.

Guilt flowed in Arisa's blood as Nina's cry persisted in her mind. She breathed heavily, feeling as if something was suffocating her.

What have I done?

The guilt in her blood intensified as images of Nina's death haunted her, the girl's cry of pain still drumming her ears.

It's my fault. A tear rolled down her cheek. I always bring trouble; I'm sorry, Nina. Zen. Maybe it's better to let Gemini finish me off.

Arisa dropped her sword and gazed at the dark ground, waiting for the Guardian to attack her.

No, don't listen to her, Arisa. A calming sweet voice filled her ears. You're not a murderer; Gemini is trying to confuse you and corrupt your mental state.

Arisa's heart sped, recognizing that voice. She glanced at her surroundings, her gaze only meeting the snowy land.

"Nala?"

A bright green light appeared in front of her, taking the shape of a being. A few seconds later, a young woman with long chocolate brown hair stood before Arisa.

The young woman in bright oriental clothing slowly approached her. Arisa's heart wouldn't calm down, not believing what she was seeing. Nala bent over a little, her animal ears twitching as she touched Arisa's shoulder.

"You're not a murderer, Arisa," said Nala, a warm smile spreading across her face. "We all fell in Gemini's illusion and couldn't see through her tricks. You never killed anyone in that land. Believe in yourself."

As the healer's calming words slowly reached her, Arisa couldn't stop staring at her, noticing the freckles spread over Nala's nose.

"H-how is it possible?" Arisa wondered. "How can I see you?"

Arisa knew very well that Nala had sacrificed her life to save Garoh.

"I'm a memory," replied Nala, smiling. "In case Gemini's memory would resurface to disturb you, I placed a calming voice to help you."

Arisa's brows arched, amazed with the Lunarian's ability.

"Arisa," continued Nala, breaking the short silence, "never believe what Gemini says. Back in the Forbidden Lands, I've seen that she likes to psychologically torture her victims."

Arisa didn't drop her gaze from Nala, understanding her theory. She touched her head; she still could hear Nina's scream trying to haunt her again.

"Everyone saw what happened that day," said Nala, patting Arisa's shoulder. "We all saw a white beast that was about to devour Nina. We desperately wanted to help and you were the first one to do so.

"In our eyes, we saw you half slicing the beast's arm, not Nina's. Despite the threat that the monster showed, your good heart didn't allow you to attempt another attack. You didn't kill Nina, Arisa. Believe in yourself."

Another short silence fell as Arisa remembered saving Nina from the white beast's claws. She shakily stood up with a small smile forming across her face. Despite still feeling uncomfortable for having actually sliced Nina's arm, she set in her mind that everything was Gemini's doing.

"Thank you, Nala," she said, noticing that the healer was slowly fading. "I'll be sure to not allow Gemini to play with my mind again."

Nala smiled warmly before she faded completely. Sorrow spread within Arisa, remembering that the healer was no longer there with them.

"I might have gone too far," said Gemini, laughing. "You're talking to yourself now."

As Gemini filled the atmosphere with her laughter, Arisa summoned her sword and rushed towards her.

As Gemini protected herself, the snowy land swapped to a spacious path with tall dark water walls.

"Oh," said Gemini. "I'm guessing that talking to yourself filled you with a fighting spirit."

Arisa didn't say anything and attacked the Silver Guardian. Caught by surprise, Gemini trapped herself in a cycle of dodging and deflecting.

Arisa's battle cry filled the atmosphere as she swung her sword and kicked her opponent. At times, Gemini would disappear and attack her by surprise, only to be stopped before her blade could reach its target.

For a minute, the two engaged in a battle using their weapons and martial art skills. When Arisa gathered her crimson flame with her right arm, she blocked Gemini's attack using her weapon. She then touched her opponent's shoulder.

The crimson flame spread on Gemini's silver armor, forming Aries' symbol.

"What?" asked Gemini, noticing Aries' glowing symbol.

A second later, the silver armor cracked. It vanished with glowing dust, revealing the young woman behind it.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

258 43 17
**COMPLETED ON: April 30th** Princess Arillia of Amaura has always been different from the rest of her siblings with crimson curls, bright eyes, and...
279 11 13
After seeing her brother meet his destiny, the young princess of Aeronia is set to find her own. When he finally returns, everything seems to be oka...
2K 150 28
❝ 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑘𝑖𝑠𝑠 𝑜𝑓 𝑎𝑛 𝑎𝑛𝑔𝑒𝑙 𝑐𝑎𝑛 𝑝𝑢𝑡 𝑒𝑣𝑒𝑛 𝑎 𝑑𝑒𝑣𝑖𝑙 𝑡𝑜 𝑠𝑙𝑒𝑒𝑝, 𝑓𝑜𝑟 𝑒𝑣𝑒𝑛 𝑎 𝑑𝑒𝑣𝑖𝑙 𝑖𝑠 𝑐𝑎𝑝𝑎𝑏𝑙𝑒 𝑜𝑓 𝑓...
82.8K 3.9K 64
Salvare University looms above its city as a sanctuary for those gifted with magic. The University is renowned for pouring out students that encounte...