The Monarch ( Fated Series: B...

By steamyhot

After a barren mating that had lasted just shy of two years, Avery is hell bond on living a life away from po... More

The Monarch
Chapter 1 - Crossing pathways
Chapter 2 - Roomies
Chapter 3 - House rules
Chapter 4 - Timber and Wood
Chapter 5 - Fire and Ice
Chapter 6 - Lonely Hearts
Chapter 8 - Unexpected
Chapter 9 - Blood and Sweat

Chapter 7 - Fight Club

150K 5.8K 1.1K
By steamyhot

Chapter 7 - Fight Club

dedicated to @theoneandonlydaddyz - thanks for the mean Tiramisu recipe ( it was absolutely delish!) and for supporting my work! I am so glad I have you as a reader! xoxo

(picture on the side - Avery's outfit)

***

Avery

Spending the last couple of days locked away in a cottage with Jon had been nothing short of an adventure. It wasn't the constant bickering that made his stay so tangible. What captivated her interest were the strong character he projected and the way that he handled. True, he was angry, but he had managed to keep it together, even when she all but provoked him to lose his cool. It was remarkable to even comprehend the level of control he had on his wolf to successfully integrate back into a human environment without accidental shifts. Yes, there were some outbursts of anger and bumps down the road, but he never shifted forms unintentionally. In the daytime, he would irritate her to no end, only to curl in his wolf form to sleep by her side. Even if she was still pissed off at the man, she could hardly blame the wolf. It surprised her to discover that his intimidating bravado has been nothing but a show; a proof that barking dogs did not bite - they were just irritatingly loud! Jon's roar, growl or snarl were mere sound-effect and held no malice. He was a softie underneath it all. Who else would revert back to wolf form to snuggle with her all night long?

While her brain acknowledged the need for his wolf to roam free and hunt, the selfish little person in her wanted him to continue to stay indoors under her watchful eye. Avery was sure that the Royal Guards would be more than elated to accidentally stumble upon her. That would be highly volatile and Avery still didn't know how much she could rely on Jon for help in sticky situation like that. Choosing to leave those worrisome thoughts for another time, Avery focused her thoughts on Jon and his recovery.

Shifting between the two forms had been essential to counter his mood swings and speed his acceptance of whatever happened to him in the past to push him into staying in his wolf from for six months. Staying locked in only one form wasn't healthy for neither parts – human or wolf. Moreover, it had proven to be dangerous, judging by what little experience that she had with the pups in her pack. The wolf became restless if he was not let out regularly and made the man uncharacteristically impulsive and confrontational. The human could easily dissipate if trapped in the body of a wolf. Then the wolf would go berserk without the sanity and direction that the human mind provided.

Avery was exceptionally proud of the progress that Jon showed. He managed to control his form with a precision that eluded even her at times! If she had woken up spooned by his naked body, she would have not been able to idly stand and not take advantage of his outstanding offer. She was attracted to him, even more so to the adorable grey wolf that was keeping guard while she slept. If only he realized she slept ten times easier, knowing that she was not alone in the cottage, she wouldn't hear the end of it!

Making it in the top 20 most wanted by Pack Law and The Royal Guard was doing a number on her nerves. At least with the Rogue watching over her sleep, his keen senses would pick up any intruder. He was her guard dog! She half expected him to fuzz about his new title, but surprisingly he never even uttered the casual, frustrated growl when she called his wolf so.

Her cooking must have been wicked awesome if it had been enough to bribe and surprisingly buy his loyalty and protectiveness over her. Yes, she did recognize his protective stand next to her or his slight possessiveness whenever they talked. He was never forceful in his opinions but gave her a run for her money whenever they disagreed with each other.

His boat was surely easily rocked by things that she would let slip, but he never shifted mid-argument. She had seen pups flicker between the two forms with much less provocation.

That had always been followed by rage.

Avery cringed at the thought of how many clothes had been shredded to pieces once the anger boiled over any capability of the human to retain the wolf. It was as if the pups had no control over their bodies and would actually revert back and forward between the two forms they existed in. It had taken the pups months to manage to control the shift enough to be considered pissed off teenagers than raging wolves.

They were why she was here. If that wasn't enough of reminiscence; she had a really nice bite mark on her shoulder to remind her that pups as adorable as they were, could in fact become volatile when the raging hormones of their bodies combined with strong emotions.

Unlike the mystical human werewolf stories, a werewolf bite by itself wasn't enough to turn a human into a werewolf, nor was it enough to mark and claim another werewolf. It was amusing how otherwise intelligent race still couldn't see through that notion. If that was true, any time a wolf went into a scuffle they would mark and claim their opponent. Werewolves ran high on emotions and brews were a constant occurrence.

The reality wasn't as glamorous as the fairytales that she so often indulged herself into. As any other custom, marking was a deliberate action and as such only worked when the parties actually put the intent to claim each other and exchanged bites and blood; it didn't matter where the bite was placed. In the two years that she had spent with the Blood Hounds, Avery had actually discovered that many ventured off the mainstream claim on the delicate spot where the neck met the shoulder. It made the marking more intimate, more personal. As shocking as it had first sounded, she had soon seen the advantages of following that little tradition. It allowed the pair to choose to place their claim on the body part that they most treasured of their partner's body. As difficult as it had seemed to comprehend at the time by her naive teenage brain, it had actually allowed them to create a very erogenous zone in that very same part that often lacked the bundle of nerves to produce an intense reaction. Nicolas' claim on her inner thigh had intensified more than its fair share of matings. It had not been until very end that she had grown to despise the scar and question if he had ever seen her as something more than a breeding stock.

In retrospect, if his Claim was on the traditional spot, she would not doubt his love for her in those very early days when she was his meaning and she didn't know about Marta, Josephina or Henrietta. Recognizing that her very visible mark on him had not stopped his cheating ways had been the first of many blows to her self-esteem that unfortunately followed her through the months that followed.

So what if she couldn't get pregnant? Did that make her any less of a mate? She had given him her heart and her soul, sacrificed friendships and even cut family ties. She was his in all the meanings there could be. Why couldn't that be enough?

"You are barren and less of a she-wolf..."

And that's when it all changed.

Blood Hounds were a Pack of the old ways and Avery lived to see the day when tradition was ruthlessly followed, changing the core values of otherwise intelligent beings. She had soon discovered that males in Blood Hounds didn't need an excuse to do anything that they wanted. They brutally took what they desired.

It all made sense when she fully understood the meaning of their pack name. She-wolves were not only considered submissive to males; their main life-role was degraded to just that – blood hounds in all the twisted ways that the Alpha had installed and supported. Where Avery saw lack of protection and family planning; the Blood Hound Pack saw virtue. As sad as it was, the value of a she-wolves was established by the number of pups they could bear.

And they were just that – a breading stock!

She cringed at the memory and her hands quickly landed on her abdomen.

"Rejection is too good for the likes of you. You don't deserve to live!"

That's when he had stabbed her.

Her fingers subconsciously ran over the scar that her "beloved" mate had left her. One of the few things that those same werewolves' fables had gotten correctly was that silver did a number on a werewolf. It didn't matter your size or your strength – if you were exposed to silver long enough, you were as good as dead. True, you could desensitize yourself by constant exposure to silver in very little doses, but it was a fine line to walk where one might just as well be chronically poisoning himself rather than developing the desired immunity. It had been a small miracle that Avery had lasted as long as she had before he had successfully managed to dispose of her forever.

Thankfully, silver did nothing but irritate vampires!

If it hadn't been for Emma's persistent friendship, Avery would be dead and Emma – safe in the arms of her loving mate. Beneath the rowdy and unkempt appearance, the Alpha of the Blackwood pack had been nothing but a doting husband; while the pristine façade of her own mate had been a mere mask behind which a true monster hid.

When the remnants of their mating bond finally dissolved, Avery had felt nothing but sorrow. Sorrow that she was not the one ending his life. After all hadn't she kept the silver dagger as a souvenir for that specific purpose? In the beginning the dagger was the only thing that helped her get through the ultimate betrayal that she felt. Although their relationship was on the rocks for the good part of the last eight months leading to her stabbing, she had never thought that he would go so far as to murder her. She had naively believed that the constant verbal abuse in the privacy of their home was the only retaliation that he would attempt.

As soon as she had been able to speak, she had accepted his rejection. For all the bastard ever knew, she might have just died. The mating bond was peculiar like that – it could only be dissolved partially by rejection or the moment that one of the mates died. She doubted that Nicolas would even think that she could defy him and reject him back or survive the mortal stabbing he had inflicted. The pain from the silver had been nothing compared to the agony of knowing that the very same person who was supposed to be yours, would rather end your life than to reject you.

Which is why it had been nothing but ironic that he had projected the last minutes of his life, allowing everyone in the Pack, including Avery, to witness his brutal execution. While it was customary for the pack to avenge their Alpha, Avery doubted that there would be anyone in the Blood Hound Pack who would consider going against Alpha Ned.

Nicolas' third in command Ugo would pee his pants before he went against who they came to know as the Raging Interim Monarch. The Beta was no better. Greg would actually jump at the opportunity to run the pack and she had no doubt that he would be more successful than her twisted mate. Maybe he would even lead the pack into the modern days once he came out of the closet. Yes, the terrifying Beta who had actually been the only one who had tried to defend her lived in denial, putting up a Macho bravado to keep face with the very conservative pack.

Although some packs embraced same sex matings, acknowledging that Fate chose their mate for better or worse, some were that puritan that they went as far as banishing such mated couples. The fear of not being accepted, of being a Rogue had swayed many True Mates to reject each other in order to maintain their current pack status.

On second thought, she was glad that she didn't get to have the final say in Nicolas death. Avery had heeled to Giovani's caution, allowing the raging Alpha Ned to choose his own punishment that fit the crime. The death that she had secretly hoped to deliver with the very same dagger that he had used on her was too quick and merciful. Alpha Ned's was brutal, prolonged and excruciating. Alpha Ned had delivered a just sentence, without even knowing what that chauvinistic pig had done to her.

As savage as Nicolas' execution had been, he had deserved it for breaking their sacred vows and for doing the unspeakable to his own damn mate. No matter their relationship, he could have opted for a swift rejection which was the painful equivalent of a prolong divorce in the human world. Thank Goddess that Avery hadn't been able to conceive. Otherwise, the innocent pup would have been literally torn to bits. The Alpha in Nicolas would have not accepted a pup of hers if he was to reject her. The old ways were cruel and followed with a gruesome precision in Blood Hounds.

Although she felt free for the first time in years, she was surprised that revenge had tasted half as good as she would have thought it would. In fact, she had felt nothing but calm, relaxed and empty.

For the first time in her life feeling empty was actually good.

***

Avery ran her hands down her dress. When did she start being overly concerned about the way she looked?

It wasn't a matter of when, but of why? The answer to that was simple.

Jon.

The Rogue was to blame for her overly active hormones. She had never been attracted to someone so quickly. It was as a train wreck waiting to happen. He was coming at her with such zilch that she could not help but stare at him as a deer in headlights.

He wanted her and he had made it abundantly clear.

She took a deep breath to steady herself. She dreaded doing this but it was the duty that she had agreed to carry on her shoulders. Unlike the Rogue next room, she had business to attend to. Her pups relied on her.

Walking into the living room, she wasn't surprised when his gruff voice reached her:

"Where are you going?"

***

Jonathan

"Where are you going?" He quickly asked her as soon as his ears caught the noise of her heels. Why would she wear heels? Did she finally come to her senses and decided to seduce him?

He eyed her feet and regretfully noted that they were not clad in the knee heeled boots that had been haunting him for the last couple of nights! Serves him good for going through her closet while she slept! If they hadn't been snowed in, he would have bet that she had bought those boots to tease him. They fit particularly well with a fantasy or two that he had lately indulged himself into. He smirked, thinking about his perverted mind. It could make the simplest thing kinky when Avery was concerned.

His eyes slowly trailed up her long, jeans clad legs up to the simple black tee and the leather jacket she had on. Her hair was let down and straightened held back by a simple hair band.

"I have a meeting", Avery informed him keeping her back straight as if to defy his eyes that were scanning her body.

Jonathan gave her a once over and then arched his eyebrow, "Dressed like that?".

"I didn't know you're the fashion police now!" Avery grunted.

"You don't have to lie to me if you're going out on a date, biker girl." He teased her and continued to lazily watch TV.

"Unlike your lazy ass, some of us have duties...."

"This late at night?" He continued his interrogation, urging her to talk by doubting her. That seemed to work every time like a charm!

Her face said it all. She was applauded.

Good.

At least her late night meeting wasn't a date. But even if it was, why should he care? Jon shook his head to clear it from all the possessive thoughts that were threatening to spill out of his mouth. She did reference his behind, something that he had warned her not to do and therefore it was justified if he called her girlfriend.

"Going to a club could be hardly called a duty, girlfriend!" He teased her.

Not only did the word girlfriend suit her, but he actually didn't mind adding the possessive my in front of it. He could see himself dating Avery. He was definitely leering after her body and her character wasn't bad at all, despite her attempts to boss him around. Of course, he would let her have her way. Maybe that way she'd stop being so stiff around him.

"You have dinner in the microwave, don't worry!" Avery rolled her eyes at him and walked to the entry way.

"Then you wouldn't mind some company?" Jon stated and before he knew it was up on his feet walking towards her.

"Jon!" She huffed and tried to stop him.

"Yes, Avery?"

"You don't have to come along. This is my place and I don't need a bodyguard. I'll come home way before breakfast time."

Her implication didn't sit well with him. If it wasn't a random date night for her, she would surely not mind him tagging along with her, would she now?

"Oh, I am sure you'll come back home because I am coming with you..." Jon started and at her surprised face he continued "to make sure you arrive home safely. You know, I hate waking up alone or hungry!"

"You're such an ass!" Avery hissed her response, but caved in on his decision to join her. She was definitely not having a date if she had allowed him to go with her.

But why was he suddenly so happy of her obvious lack of social life?

"You like her" his wolf found the time to butt in.

He did like her.... He loved and craved her cooking, too.

No. He was definitely going purely to protect his interest in her mad cooking skills.

Who would pass on the opportunity to have a sexy chef like her?

He could definitely have her for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Jon smirked at his own thought. If she only knew what was going through his head she would have smacked that grin off his face instead of returning it with a hesitant smile. She was just clueless how hungry the big bad wolf was. Jon chuckled at his thoughts. Yes, Avery was capable of not only making him forget his sorrow, but she was solely responsible for moments like this, when he was actually... happy?

Jon shook his head and swiped the car keys just under her fingertips. As she glared at him, he explained:

"I rather arrive in one piece!"

"I'm a safe driver! I drive since I was 18!"

"Good for you! What are you now? 18 and a half?" Jon asked her and walked out of the cabin and towards the Mustang that she had made him dig out of the snow earlier. Everything, that Avery asked him to do, served a purpose and he should have known she'd want to go somewhere if she had made him shovel the snow off her car. Of course, she had mistakenly forgotten where she had parked her car and had made him work twice as much at locating which white pile of snow was actually the indented target.

At least she knew something about cars. Her car was a gem that proved to be enough of a distraction for him not to comprehend that she would intend to go somewhere if she had made him shovel the snow out of the driveway. Not that there was much snow left.

"Wouldn't you like to know!" She huffed her reply.

Jon smirked and went ahead to start the car, leaving her to lock the front door of the cabin. He quickly recognized that the car had already warmed up and she was still idling around the front door. How hard was it to shove the damn key and turn it? He was getting impatient by the time she descended down the porch. As soon as she got in the car, he voiced his frustration:

"Could you have taken any longer? You know that the car doesn't have much gas left as it is! I would hate to be stranded in the middle of the road!"

"Gee, we'll buy gas. Relax." She told him and then lifted her chin showing him the driveway, "Drive!"

"Where to?"

"Down the road!" She exclaimed in a duh-voice, indicating the muddy driveway. "You wanted to be my chauffer, so drive!"

"I never said that. Just as you never told me how old you are." Jon retorted. If he would be called her chauffer he could at least get one answer straight. How old was she? She seemed to be around his age, which was shy of thirty, but how old was she exactly?! Now that was the real question!

"Sure, I'll tell you as soon as you explain how it's okay to intrude in my life and keep yours private?" Avery shot back.

"You should have thought about that before you took me in!"

"I'm a softie when it comes to the underdog. Happy now?"

"I am not the underdog" Jon said and drove off the dirt road.

Goddess, Avery was clueless!

And the perverted part of Jon actually found some amusement in her statement. He was never the underdog. If anything he was the victor, the opponent nobody wanted to spar with. Avery's delusion pulled a string to his heart. She obviously cared for him much more than she was letting it show.

"Who are we meeting, Ivie?"

"Interviewing! And the name is Avery!" Avery corrected him.

"Same thing" Jon huffed. "Plus you like it! Admit it, Ivie?"

He knew he did have a point there. For all the times he had unwillingly let her prevail there had to be restitution. And this was just the beginning of it.

"Whatever!" Avery huffed in defeat.

***

Jonathan

As soon as the engine was turned off and the cold winter air got into his lungs, Jon had the sickening feeling that this night would turn bad. His enhanced hearing could clearly pick up on the loud music blasting from the inside of the abandoned warehouse. The undistinguished chatter on the background was only promising to give them a headache sooner rather than later. The stench in the air wasn't doing anything to settle his uneasiness. Vomit. They were surely on a location of a wild party.

What was Avery thinking? This was definitely not a place for her! To even think that she was actually thinking of coming here alone was ludicrous! As they approached the building, the cacophony of noise only made him wonder what kind of employees was Avery really searching for. Whoever worked here was up to no good. Unless she was going to hire a bouncer...But what would a jewelry maker need a bouncer for? He closed the distance between Avery and him. If he needed to intervene, it would certainly make more sense to keep her close at hand. She approached the bouncer as if she had been here before.

"Hello. Lilo is here to see Stitch!" Avery told him. The bouncer gave her a once over and then looked at Jon sizing him up. It must have been a code message, as he finally spoke:

"Proceed."

As Jon was passing him by the bouncer warned him, "Stitch is in a pissy mood tonight."

Jon curtly nodded his thanks.

Who wouldn't be pissed if they had to endure such noise?

"What's this place again?" Jon asked Avery as they slowly made their way down the spiral stair case.

"Fight club."

"WHAT?" Jon asked and held her elbow, leading her off to a darker, more secluded corner from which he could keep an eye to both entrance and the corridor. "Come again?" He asked hoping against all odds that he did not hear her say "fight club".

"Fight club" Avery repeated. She must have perceived his stupor as lack of knowledge, so she explained to him, "They fight for money while others bet on them".

"No, shit!" Jon shot back sarcastically and then asked her, "Why are we here?"

"Scouting" Avery replied.

"For trouble?" Jon supplied irritated.

"Very funny, Jonny boy! We are scouting for an Enforcer and then we'd interview him. Before that we need to meet Stitch, who is running the place!" Avery explained.

"You have to be kidding!" Jon offered, hoping that she was teasing him like she always did. As she didn't reply, he firmly asked: "You actually thought it would be peachy for a hot piece of ass like yours to come to a Were fight club alone? What were you thinking?!" Jon asked, swallowing hard the question that he really wanted to shout at her - Are you a moron?!

"So you like my killer outfit?" Avery giggled at him.

Oh, yes, it was killing him all right that she was being such a she-wolf, fretting about outfits, while the danger remained the same. She was going to arrive alone had Jonathan not invited himself! Fight clubs were dangerous. What did he need to do to get it in her head?

Fight clubs did not happen in Pack Lands. Alphas prevented such gatherings because they were rowdy at best. Things got heated really quickly as the so-called fighters usually took out the frustration on their opponent on the ring, but were not shy to proceed outside of the fight ring, too. They were dangerous and that was putting it mildly! What complicated things and made such events unpredictable were the Rogues that were allowed to attend and even partake in the fights. It was a way for some rogues to support themselves by betting on themselves in the matches they chose to fight. If you were good, you could make some money to get you places before you needed to fight again. Finances weren't the primary reason why one would opt to be an active participant in a fight club. Fights were addictive. Nothing could compare with the exhilarating rush of adrenaline, the duel of skills and the thrill of the win. Jon had heard fighters compare it with fully mating and bonding your Fate mate. But those few ones were the exception to the rule as most fighters were unmated.

Fight clubs were also an occasion to find a random willing partner. That is why Jon had more than a lecture to give to Avery for dressing up so provocative. His presence was enough to deter unwanted advances for now. What infuriated him was what could have happened to her, had she arrived here alone. No matter how feisty she was, she would not be able to defend herself against a fully grown male were, especially one who was looking to get laid. Her refusal of such proposition would have not mattered if she was cornered by a hungry wolf. A part of the thrill for such escapade was the chase.

Jon remembered that Pack Law has been called to deal with the aftermath of such unwilling matings, or to dissipate such gatherings before they got out of hand. Those had been the most dreaded jobs of all – crowd control, sex crime and the stink of bodies crumbled up in a small indoor confinement were his least favorite. Pack Law investigated and disbanded such establishments with passion, but for Jon such work, although necessary, lacked certain appeal. He preferred to deal with tasks that actually involved thinking rather than relying on brute force and numbers alone.

"Why?" Jon asked pinching the bridge of his nose trying not to shout at her.

"Because the pups need someone to teach them how to fight."

"What pups?" Jon asked, quickly trying to remember if he had seen a Claim on her. He was pretty sure he hadn't bothered noticing it and that irked him the most. He had been less observant when he should have been. He had let his guard down in favor for her cooking and the comfort of her company!

Stupid, stupid, dog! Jonathan chanted in his own mind.

An important detail such as a Claim would have not gone unnoticed just half a year ago. To even think that he has proposed a one night stand without even bothering to check for a Claim on her served to irritate him. Was his person that far gone that he would be so abrasive?

He only wondered how she didn't flat out throw him out of the cabin as soon as he had asked her for "somethin'somethin".

Damn, had he fallen that low to beg for sex?

His hands landed on her shoulders, his fingers fanning to search for any sign of the faint scar that a mark would have left. As soon as his thumb brushed against her clavicle, he felt a sudden bump.

She was mated!

No wonder why she wasn't interested.

But why hadn't she thrown him out the moment that his stupid mouth opened?

And who in their right mind would let his mate wonder off in the mountains, much less take in wild Rogues or attend underground were-fight clubs? Wasn't her mate aware that most rogues were adrenaline junkies that ran on their highs? Highs that were more than likely pharmaceutically induced.

Most importantly, why wasn't his wolf picking a male scent on her or in her house?

Surprisingly she didn't fight or shy away from his touch. She was just letting him process it all. When she deemed that enough time has passed, she asked calmly: "Now that you're done groping me, could we move? We can't be late!".

She would have actually passed by, but Jon quickly reacted, pressing her against the wall once again.

"I don't know if you are too cocky for your own good or plain stupid, but the fighters are ticking bombs with anger issues. They are mercenaries without loyalties. Rogues!"

"Look who's talking?!" Avery retorted.

"I am not a Rogue!" Jon corrected her in his anger. He considered Pack Law his Pack, but it would have been too much of hindrance to go into details about his association with them. Then he swiftly added to correct his slip up, "I simply don't have a pack".

"Jon, either you have a Pack or you are a Rogue. There's no mid-way. It's either-or," Avery explained to him and then finally pushed her hands against his chest. The small manicured hand emitted warmth against his chest and served to distract him temporarily. But when he didn't move, she reluctantly started talking again, "Listen, Jon, I won't kick you out even if we bring in someone to teach the pups. You have a home wherever I am staying, okay? But I also need you to understand that I can't be late for this meeting. Make your mind. You are either coming with me inside or you can stay here. I can handle it."

"Clearly you can't" Jon looked down at her manicured fingernails, clearly referring to her fruitless attempt to push him away.

***

Avery

"All bets in" a voice rang across the hall.

Avery made her way through the crowd, fully aware of the grim face that Jon was sporting. She had grown used to his mood swings, but she had never seen him this pissed off. No doubt he'd throw a tantrum as soon as they get back home. At least she had been able to convey her message – she meant business and with or without him she was going to see through it. Her pack depended on her!

What she had said next, surprised her. He did have a place to call home with her. He was irritating to say the least, but he was also her responsibility. That was the kind of bond you that was undeniable forged when you saved someone. And she knew – he was part of her Pack, whether he acknowledged it or not.

As they walked over to the VIP entrance of the fight club, she had to repeat the coded message that her contact gave her. The bouncers let them in deeper into the storage facility that served as a Fight Arena on every other Friday. On the morrow she had no doubt that everything will be pristine and there would be no evidence of what transpired the night before. Fight clubs were underground and as such their location and hours of operation were kept on the need to know basis. You had to know someone to get in.

Avery was surely not going to pass on that opportunity. The fiercest fighters were known to attend such gatherings and if her contact was right, Stitch was going to be able to point out those that were willing to make a career change.

As she continued up the stairs to what appeared to be the exclusive section of this establishment, Avery noted Jon's proximity. He had purposefully shortened the distance between them, letting her arm brush against his, ensuring her of his whereabouts. Not that she needed to be reminded of his presence. His demeanor was demanding respect and submission. He was surely taking guarding her to a new level. The displayed protectiveness showed everyone that dared look their way that they arrived together. Not that Avery could complain. Although she was fully aware he was watching over her because he liked her dishes, a part of Avery wanted to ignore reality and indulge in the fantasy that they were out clubbing together! He was certainly easy on the eyes and Avery had firsthand knowledge of what lied underneath the clothes.

No, it was not just a physical attraction.

Avery more than admired his control and the way he handled himself. Unlike all the other males that she had had the misfortune of knowing, he seemed sophisticated. She couldn't put her finger on it just yet, but she knew that he was more than what he led on.

"Focus!" Avery scolded herself.

It was just in time to get a grip of the situation at hand. They had arrived to the up-most section of the Fight Club and were led in front of a table occupied by four patrons: three intimidating males and one she-wolf who was sitting on one of the brute's laps and giggling in his arms. They were playing a card game that Avery didn't recognize. She did however acknowledge the betting chips and cash on the table.

Avery cleared her throat, announcing that they were no longer alone.

"Lilo is here to see Stitch." Avery said in a flat voice and eyed cautiously the occupants of the table. The one who held the girl in his lap grunted, suppressing a growl:

"You brought company!"

"You have company, too!" Avery responded, then warned "Don't waste my time".

The growl intensified and only stopped when the girl in the brute's lap whispered something in his ear.

The way Avery saw it, the guy, as scary as he was, worked for the hefty commission that she was going to pay if she ended up hiring a fighter based on his suggestion.

"Little girl, you would do well to remember that if you screw us over, we'd gladly fuck with your life!" The brute said only for another growl to follow. A growl that Avery was accustomed to: Jon. He managed to pull a very intimidating growl.

"I am here to do business, not chit-chat all night, so let's skip over the pleasantries!" Avery cut to the point.

"Not that fast, Red... Bella will have to path you down for wires and what-not." The guy gave her a sly grin.

Avery nodded her acceptance and waited for the girl to plant a very intimate kiss on the brute's lips then to walk over to Avery, revealing her barely clad body. She had curves that would make any she-wolf jealous.

"Now boys, don't get too many ideas," the girl winked at the men at the table and they loudly whistled at her suggestion.

Avery glared at them while the girl finally approached her. She had somehow managed to make it seem more of a sexual thing than an actual pat down. As the girl averted her eyes to Jon, she winked at Avery commenting:

"Now, it would only be fair if I give you a proper pat down, too, handsome!" Bella flirted and moved from Avery to Jon, who cut her off:

"Thanks, I'll pass"

"It's not optional," Bella insisted, making the men on the table laugh. Jon glared at Bella as she started patting his shoulders and back. "Boy, aren't you well built...", she continued patting his chest and abdomen, making sure that he didn't hide a recording device. As her hand trailed off to a more south direction, Jon snatched her hand away from his masculinity.

"That's enough" he told her through his teeth.

"It's never enough" Bella winked at him, despite the obvious glare that Jon gave her. Surprisingly the little vixen lowered her eyes, then pulled her hand away from his grip. "I understand where my attention is unwelcomed." Bella then focused her icy glare at Avery, "Lilo, you, lucky bitch, why are you pouching my fighters when you have a particularly well-endowed specimen at your disposal?"

Avery chuckled at the girl, who was not the only one to find Jon attractive. Avery had to admit it that Jon was looking even better with the weight he managed to gain during his stay with her.

"Your fighters?" Avery questioned, choosing to ignore Bella's question and stirring the conversation to the importance of the slip of possessiveness in Bella's speech.

Who would have thought that the head of the Fight Club was actually a flirty she-wolf?

****

So there you go - Avery is the long missing Luna of the Blood Hounds (aka Alpha Nicolas's mate). Ta daaaaa.. Bet you didn't see that one coming... Or if you actually followed my comments, you already know that and more.... You know, I can't keep a secret....

Yes, there are going to be vampires in this book, but the story is still primary a werewolf romance.

What will happen next in the Club ? Well, you will have to wait till Monday (August 4th) to find out. Until then, feel free to let me know what you want to happen in the club. The one who guesses or comes close to what I am planning, will actually get a dedication in the next chapter. Comment away....

xoxo,

SteamyHot

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

316 18 120
Kira Delta, a wolf with a secret that even she doesn't know about yet, moves to Bedburg Hills Wyoming before the beginning of her Junior year. She li...
30.4K 1.1K 42
Winter, a pack slave, also known as Pseudo wolf by everyone, designated omega. Broken beyond repair and she learned to embrace it. But never in her l...
539 78 15
Someone rescued Avery Lane from a fiery car crash three months ago, and she's been searching for the person who saved her ever since. Avery writes G...
60.6K 1.9K 43
Iris has had a difficult life, running from her past and living like a nomad. She is not a regular wolf. She curses the Moon goddess for the gifts sh...