Armor

By stormcloud08

Isabella, future queen of Gardia, unlike any lady of her time, is no damsel, but a fierce warrior. Though res... More

Armor summary
Godsend
The Baldwins
The Book
Wistful
The Dinner
A/n
The Discussion
Patience
Journey
En Garde
Panic
Unconscious
Dust
Awakened
Gratitude
Useless
The Leap
Travel
Revelations
Prayers
Ride
Story
The Fall
Betrayal
Last A/n
Climax
Q&A
Coronation
Understanding
Again
Army
Baldy
Arrow
Fight
Stolen
Bet
Epilogue
Next

Jaria

80.8K 3.4K 243
By stormcloud08

"So how do you like it?"

She turned and smiled sarcastically and tucked her arm into her father's. "Father, 'tis a real home away from our home."

He just grinned, "We will have to watch each other's backs Bella."

"Don't we always do so anyway father?" She grinned. "Everything will be fine, have a little faith in me..."

"I do, but if they were behind the attack this could be very dangerous." William whispered. "Baldwin will probably have my head when we get back." He knew Baldwin would disagree with the decision to travel, especially with only six guards, to the enemy nation. Hopefully the letter he sent explained his reasoning enough.

She squinted in the dim torch light thoughtfully at the Jarians unpacking the carriage, and saw Aiden and Eric giving various orders. Her men stood off awkwardly to the side unsure what to make of their present situation. "Father, something is telling me the Jarians did not do it... call it an instinct..." She trailed off when Eric started walking toward them.

"Welcome to Jaria your Highnesses, Father went to greet mother and retire, so I will be escorting you to your chambers." He grasped Isabella's arm and tucked it into his, at her curious glance he just smiled brightly. As they passed, with William trailing grumbling to himself, Eric made sure to wink at Aiden. Aiden rolled his eyes and continued to direct his men.

Isabella yawned realizing how tired she was. Her back was bothering her but she said nothing. She reminded herself to put some of the ointment James gave her on in the morning. "Your chambers are almost adjacent. Hither is your chamber, three guardsmen will be sharing a room on each side of you and Princess Isabella you are two doors down the hall to the left." Isabella nodded and turned to bid her father good night.

She hugged him and whispered, "Should I place a knight outside of your door father?"

"I believe that would not be necessary my sweet. The men could use a good night's rest, they've rode very well for a long time. I will be fine. Question is, do I place one outside of your room?"

"I am fine as well," She paused, "goodnight father." She said louder after pulling out of the embrace.

Eric led her to her door, bowed and left. Isabella, inside of the spacious room, not yet having her clothing, was at a lost for what to sleep in. She loved her armor but spending another night asleep in it was not very appealing especially with her aching back. Isabella lit the candles on the stands began to unbraid her hair when she heard a timid knock on her door.

The open door revealed an irritated looking Aiden carrying a lamp in one hand and a her suit cases in the other. He cleared his throat and spoke "Prince Eric requested that I bring you your things assuming that you do not want to sleep in the armor."

Isabella just stared. The lit lamp casted a shadow upon his attractive face and flickered golden light onto his hair. She shook herself, and nodded opening the door wider but forgetting to step out of the way. "Hold this for me." He handed her the lamp, their finger tips barely brushing, before grabbing the luggage by the straps. He entered not realizing the doorway was partially blocked until he brushed against Isabella's frame. He quickly cleared his throat and muttered an 'excuse me' before entering the room completely. "Where do you want me to put this?" He asked.

"Does not matter really, on the floor in a corner I guess?" Isabella bit her lip and curled a lock around her finger. Tired, yes that's it. I am not thinking straight right now.

Aiden focused on carrying the heavy cases. "Why are these so heavy? Do you have more armor or something?" He grinned a bit at the thought.

Isabella snapping out of her stupor glared slightly. "Yes, and weapons galore."

Aiden laughed out loud then, putting the cases down and glancing over at her. "Wow a great sense of humor you have there," he paused noticing her long curly hair haloed around her face. He then met her eyes and glimpsed the anger in them. A fire, very much like the torch lamp in her hand, burning in her eyes. Anger? He grinned at the thought of her angry. "What, you think I would believe that you have more armor and weapons? You are a princess, what need would you have of such things. For travel, sure I understand you wanting to dress that way." He walked over and took the lamp back. "However, I am certain that those cases are full of frilly dresses and whatever 'tis you women wear when you are trying to impress men."

Isabella's fists balled at her sides. He just sounds like the tall man. Lord, I would love to put him in his place. For now I think I will play along. She mimicked the laugh she heard Myra do last night and patted his shoulder, "Oh Sir Aiden, you see right through me, how could I have thought I could have fooled you?! You are so very smart, and I, just a simple woman, cannot fathom the thought of doing what you do."

Aiden felt completely shocked. The Isabella he had come know and grudgedly admire would have argued in favor of her supposed weapons until the early lights of dawn. Just another woman putting on an act. Is it so hard for a woman to truly be herself? He shook his head and noticed her shiver.

I cannot wait to show him who I really am once and for all. All in due time Isabella. Isabella took note of their close proximity and felt a shiver go suddenly down her spine. She rubbed her arms through the armor just when he asked, "Are you cold?" She, unable to speak, just nodded and he walked over and lit the fire place. "The room should be warm in a bit. I will leave you to change and retire. Good night Princess Isabella." He spoke in monotone, and bowed before leaving.

Isabella shut the door behind him and sighed. She changed into a night gown and crawled into bed and replayed the encounter with Aiden over again. His voice suddenly became so cold advice distant. She pondered it in her mind before slowly drifting off to sleep.

He, returning to his room, vowed to kill Eric for making him go to the chit's chambers. He thought about how pretty her hair looked down and how dashing she looked in the fire light. He replayed the encounter, groaned in annoyance and drifted off into a deep sleep.

********

The next morning, Isabella awoke, hand clutching the dagger under her pillow, to a maid entering her room. She was an elderly looking lady with a large round face and bright smile. Isabella tiredly smiled at the lady for she reminded her of Iris. She missed hazel and hoped all was well at the castle.

******

"This is ridiculous!"

Henry just nodded in agreement. Things seemed to have gotten worse for Baldwin had read aloud more decrees from the King and the knights were left to deal with angry cottagers. "Why would the king order such things, especially in his absence?"

Hazel sat down, "Better question is why hasn't Isabella stopped him. Henry, something is not right here."

Henry agreed with the pretty blonde and at the sound of approaching footsteps motioned for Hazel to exit the room and go back to work. Henry saw a young man enter the room, and assuming he was another angry cottager, he stood to escort him out.

"Sir wait, I am a messenger sent from Hartha, a missive has arrived from King William?" He read the front of the seal, "to a Sir Baldwin. Do you know where I can find him?" Henry was under strict orders to keep cottagers away from Baldwin and knew he would be reprimanded if the lad went to Baldwin himself.

Henry sighed, "I will take it to him. You may take your leave." Henry towered over the lad as he took the letter from his trembling hand. He paused, and made a decision. "Here are three currents. Thank you for your work. Stop by the kitchen and ask for Iris, she shall give you food for your ride back." The boy thanked him whole-heartedly before exiting.

Henry looked at the letter in his hand curious of what the King had planned for their nation next. He did not think the people could take any more. Henry fretted over the idea of an assassination attempt. I don't think I should give this to Baldwin. I mean no one would know, the boy is returning all the way back to Hartha. He thought he was doing it for the people as well as King William so Henry tucked the letter into his pocket and thought of reading it later. He had just tucked it away when Trent Baldwin entered babbling to an annoyed looking Hazel. He smirked and she rolled her eyes at Trent's back. He mouthed to her, Meet me later. She nodded.

******

The lady spoke, "Good morning dear. Sorry to bother you but the maids are bringing in a bath and after you dress, you will eat breakfast." Isabella stretched and pushed her hair back.

"'Tis fine really." Isabella reassured the woman.

The woman walked over and opened the maroon curtains to brighten the room. Isabella studied the room. It was spacious with a high ceiling. The curtains opened to reveal a large balcony and a view of the castle's landscape. The walls were beige with a maroon floral print. Maroon carpets covered an oak hardwood floor that contrasted against the brick fireplace built into the wall. Isabella decided that she absolutely adored the room just when four maids entered carrying a tub filled with steaming water. They awaited further instruction.

Isabella nodded and thanked them all and her eyebrow furrowed when they all continued to stand there. "You all may leave." She clarified standing up.

"Milady, you do not wish for us to bathe you?" Isabella laughed and shook her head.

"Why would you bathe me? I am capable of bathing myself."

"But milady, Princess Myra has us await her hand and..." The round faced elderly lady cleared her throat and interrupted the young maid.

"What she means is, here in Jaria, we bathe royalty and tend to their needs."

Her eyebrow rose, "Okay, well I would rather bath myself instead, thank you ladies." The women bowed and left. Isabella bathed and tended her wound. She wanted to wear her armor but something told her a dress as of now would be more appropriate. She donned a turquoise high neck dress with accompanying ankle boots and pulled her hair back into a braid and tied it up with a matching bow. Later a maid brought her breakfast. "Before you go, will you tell me where my father is?"

"He and the knights have already broken fast. The Knights are in the training room and your father is having a discussion with King Charles in the throne room." Isabella said thank you and the maid bowed and left. Isabella noticed that often times the maids would not make eye contact or would be nervous. She wondered what caused that. Must be a Jarian thing.

She tucked her dagger into her boot and strapped one to her mid thigh. She opened the door and walked down the hallway. She noticed the castle followed a maroon theme and the hardwood floors. She admitted that the castle was in fact very elegant. She saw a knight standing on post and asked him, "Excuse me, can you direct me to the throne room?" He gave her directions and she nodded a swift thank you.

*******

Upon entering the throne room, she noticed her father looking very annoyed and Charles amused. Eric lounged on the chair left of Charles, and Mary to his right.

"Good morning to all." She said in greeting. Eric smiled at her, Charles nodded, William waved but Mary stood up and walked over to her.

"Isabella you have grown to be such a beautiful young lady." She blushed and thanked her. William pulled Isabella out of Mary's embrace and put a hand protectively on her shoulder.

"Bella we were just discussing the Meeting arrangements. Charles said he wanted to wait until tomorrow but I prefer that it happens this afternoon. We should not prolong our stay here." She thought about it.

"Father there is still some exhaustion from the trip, one more day would not be terrible." She whispered. William nodded.

"Tomorrow then, tomorrow morning that is." William complied.

Charles nodded and declared that the Official Meeting was tomorrow morning just as Aiden walked in with Myra right behind him. Eric spoke up, "Bella would you like to be shown around the castle?"

Isabella thought that it would be a good idea to know her way around the place especially if something were to happen. "Yes, that is a grand idea."

"Good. I will show you around the grounds and maybe we can take a horseback ride."

Isabella laughed, "After so much time riding, I don't necessarily agree with that idea, a nice walk around the grounds will be fine though."

Aiden cleared his throat, "So the Meeting is tomorrow?"

Eric grinned, "Yes, which gives me enough time to woo Isabella."

Isabella laughed at this, "I am already swooning my Lord." Mary smiled at this but raised an eyebrow when she saw Aiden roll his eyes.

Charles interrupted the banter, "Eric you need to help me set up preparations for the Meeting, you will not be free to show young Isabella around."

Eric frowned, "Well I've already promised her a tour, can't I do that later?" Charles shook his head. "Fine then, Aiden you show her around the castle and take her to the village."

"I have training." Aiden said when Myra shouted "He can't!" When everyone stated at her in shock, she cleared her throat and said, "I mean training comes first. Why don't I show her around." In men's armor Myra paid Isabella no attention but in that pretty dress, she'd be damned if the Princess spent the day with her Aiden.

Mary spoke, "You cannot dear, you have to help me examine the new maids and staff."

"Don't you worry about training mate, the knights can last one day without your grumpiness." Isabella his her smile with her hand.

"If tis' too inconvenient for you all..." Aiden interrupted her, "'Tis fine I will do it."

Eric smiled.

A/n
Not sure I'm ahundred prevent happy with this part, but I feel like things are finally starting to heat up, and I've got a lot planned. Some action, romance and a lot more! To the side should be Jason Mamoa.

Please comment and leave a vote if you liked it. :-)

I've been asked if I have an update schedule, I do not have one written in stone but I do try to update as much as possible. I guess at least once every two days if I can. So I hope that answers any questions. Inbox me anymore if there are more. :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

14.5M 442K 71
Ever since her mother's death, Adelaide Emelry has been living with her abusive father, who also happens to be the king of Soleria. Despite living in...
241 61 28
In a world where love is never simple, Aiden and Isabella must navigate tumultuous waters of fate. Polar opposites drawn together by an undeniable co...
17.5K 1K 65
THE HEIRESS: BROKEN HEART VOLUME 1 OF THE HEIRESS SERIES ********* Isabella is a 17-year-old girl. She is a nerd. She is shy around everyone except...
8.1K 339 43
What do you do when everything and everyone is against you. How do you fight for what you love when those things don't matter to others. How are you...