The Wrong Girl

By collide

We've all watched about a million Romantic Comedies where the boy breaks up with his girlfriend because he re... More

The Wrong Girl
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
UPDATE!
Chapter Eighteen

Chapter Seven

11.9K 708 286
By collide

For the next few days, I'd wake up from my nightmares, and call Grayson. He never failed to answer, no matter what time, and I fell asleep talking to him every night. I spent every day after school with Chloe, while Josh and Grayson had crazy long soccer practices to prepare for the big game coming up against our biggest rival high school.

But then it was Friday, and Friday was Halloween.

Grayson had been acting weird all day. Not rude, not mean- just off. He stared into space a lot and jumped when I spoke to him. It felt like we were in different worlds.

"Gray?" I asked, poking his shoulder.

"Hmm?" He jumped, "Oh, Princess, hey"

"Grayson, the bell rang two minutes ago" I said slowly, gesturing around our AP Chemistry room, which was completely empty except for us.

"Oh yeah" He flashed me a fake smile, "Right"

"Are you okay, Grayson?" I asked, cautiously.

"I'm great babydoll" He winked.

I took that as a sure sign that he didn't want me to pry. I thought back to the last time I tried to get information out of Grayson, and I figured that if I didn't want him to blow up on me again, I should let him tell me things when he was ready.

"Are you going to Josh's party?" I asked, walking with him to his car.

Josh was hosting the senior class halloween party this year, and it was definitely going to be big.

"Yeah, I guess I'll have to" He said distractedly.

"I guess I'll see you there, then" I smiled.

"Yeah, see you" He said, climbing into his car.

As he opened the door, I saw a bouquet of flowers in the passenger seat. Was that why he was acting so weird? Is there a girl in his life?

I shrugged, walking to my own car. It shouldn't matter if Grayson has a girlfriend or not.

I went home, and started getting ready for the party. I had decided to go as a devil this year. It was my own personal joke because last year, me and Brayden were angels. Now that I'm brunette and single, devil seemed to suit me way better.

Last year, I had worn a cute white sundress, curled my hair into blonde ringlets with a glittery halo on top, and wore light makeup. I looked like a perfect angel, literally.

This year, I wore a ripped red tank top, and black spandex shorts over black fishnet tights with a few holes I had purposefully made in them. I made my brunette hair stick straight, and applied black eye makeup. Slipping on my black boots, and devil horns, I took one last glance in the mirror, and smiled.

This year was a total 180, and I loved it.

I drove myself to the party alone. Chloe had gone early to help Josh set up, and she was sleeping there. She told me if I wanted to drink, I could crash in one of Josh's guest rooms. I decided I'd get there, see how the party was sober, and drink if necessary.

I walked in, and immediately saw Chloe. I grinned, striding over to her quickly. Her and Josh were both sporting togas, and I laughed. They looked adorable.

"Chlo!" I shouted, grabbing her attention.

"Serena, you look smokin' hot" She grinned, glancing at me, "Brayden's not going to know what hit him"

I frowned for a second, before forcing my face back into a grin for her. I hadn't even been thinking about Brayden at all. Even though sometimes it still hurt to think about, I had accepted that me and Brayden are completely over, and I moved past it. Honestly, I could never still want someone who would cheat on me and humiliate me.

"Are you drinking tonight?" Chloe asked me.

"Don't know yet" I shrugged, "If I can stand it sober, then no"

She laughed, pouring herself another drink.

I resisted the urge to ask her if Grayson was here, because I didn't want it to seem suspicious. I was just wondering if he had brought whatever girl the flowers are for with him to the party. I honestly don't even know why it mattered to me, but I kept my eyes peeled as me and Chloe hit the dance floor.

After a couple hours, I still hadn't seen him. Chloe had gone off with Josh, and I was debating on drinking because I wasn't having much fun, but I had already made it this long.

"Wanna dance?" A male voice asked from behind me.

I spun around, not recognizing the voice.

It was Ken.

"Oh hey Ken" I said nicely, "Sure"

He lead me to the dance floor, and I tried my best to have fun. After a little while, a thought hit me like a ton of bricks.

"Hey Ken?" I said suddenly.

"Yeah babe?" He replied. I tried not to grimace at the word 'babe' because I wanted information from him.

"Why do Grayson and Brayden hate each other?" I asked him.

He burst out into laughter, and I frowned.

"I know Brayden made everyone keep it quiet from you when you were together, but I'm shocked no one's told you since then" He said, still chuckling.

"What do you mean he made everyone keep it from me?" I demanded, "Tell me!"

"I mean Brayden literally threatened everyone that if you found out, there'd be hell to pay" Ken smirked.

"Okay, I feel like this is going to make more sense once you tell me why they hate each other" I said, raising my eyebrows at them.

"Babe, c'mon" He grinned stupidly, "You must know that they hate each other because they fought over you. They were even friends before you transferred here"

"But why?" I asked, still confused.

"Because they were both so into you" He shrugged, "I don't remember all the details anymore, but I think that Brayden heard Grayson's plans to ask you out, and used them before he had a chance to"

"What?" I asked, jaw dropping in shock.

"I don't know the full story though" Ken said quickly, looking like he was trying to bring back a memory, "Ask Grayson if you want to know. You guys are friends, right?"

"Yeah" I nodded, "Do you know if he's here?"

"I saw him taking a shit load of shots before" Ken shrugged, "He was downing them like they were water, which was pretty impressive, actually. Don't know where he is now, though"

"Thanks Ken" I said, turning away to look for Grayson.

Ken called my name after me, but I ignored it, acting like the word got lost in the noise of the party. I just needed to see Grayson.

I scanned the rest of the dance floor, but he wasn't there. I didn't expect him to be though, I know he doesn't really like to dance. I went to the kitchen, but he wasn't in there either. Chloe was though, so I headed right over to her.

"Have you seen Grayson?" I asked, no longer caring how it sounded.

"I saw him like a little while ago I think" She said, drunkly, "I don't know where he is though"

"Okay, thanks Chlo!" I said, looking to get away quickly.

She called after me too, but I figured I'd talk to her later. I decided to crack open the door to the backyard, where a group of guys were smoking weed. Grayson wasn't with them, but Josh was, so I figured I might as well ask him.

"Hey Josh" I greeted, giving him a small hug, "Have you seen Grayson?"

"Ooooh" A couple of the idiot boys shouted, and I rolled my eyes.

"I think he went upstairs" Josh said, thinking about it.

"Alone?" I asked, thinking about his mystery girl. I didn't want to barge in on him with someone, that'd be awful.

"Yeah, alone" Josh nodded.

"Thanks!" I called, rushing back into the house.

I went to the second floor, and the first door was a bathroom, being puked in by a girl dressed as a fairy. The second door was people having sex. The third was also people having sex. So was the fourth.

I pushed open the fifth door, and saw Grayson sitting on the bed, head in his hands.

"Are you okay, Grayson?" I asked, concerned.

His head popped up, and he looked at me with cold eyes. He didn't even smile at me. I had a bad feeling about this, but I told myself that he was my friend, and he seemed like he could use some help.

As I walked towards him, I could smell the alcohol coming from him, and I knew he was super drunk, but when he spoke, he almost sounded sober.

"I'm great, Princess" He said in a nasty tone. Princess seemed almost like an insult, and I felt myself recoil in surprise.

"Okay" I said quietly.

"What do you want from me, Briggs?" He snapped.

"I just wanted to check on you" I said timidly, "You know, see if you're okay and all"

"You think I need you of all people to baby me?" He said harshly, "I don't need your help, Princess"

"Why are you being so rude?" I asked, feeling hurt.

"Why ask how I am?" He demanded, fire flashing in his usually warm brown eyes, "Why does it matter?"

"Because I care about you!" I told him truthfully.

"That's a dumb thing to do" He said, staring at me intensely, "I tell you over and over that I'm not a good guy and you never fucking listen"

I flinched, but decided I needed to stand my ground. His cold, bloodshot brown eyes stared at me and even though I could barely recognize him, I needed to defend the Grayson I know.

"You're a great guy, Grayson" I insisted.

"You're so fucking stupid, Serena" He said venomously, "You don't even know me"

"Yes I do!" I fought back, "You're the guy who brought me movies, and cut school with me the day of the breakup, and let me wear his jersey, and-"

"Aw, is Serena falling for nice little Grayson?" He mocked in a baby voice.

"No" I snapped, defensively. I felt a pang in my chest, how could Grayson be so cruel?

"Good" He said, shortly, "Because I'm not a good person, and it's time you've accepted that"

"Why are you so determined to be the villan, Grayson?" I asked, in a small voice.

"Because I am the villan" He said, face looking thoroughly haunted.

"What did you do, Grayson?" I shouted, "What did you do that's so bad?"

"Fuck off, Briggs" He snapped, giving me a deadly glare.

"Tell me!" I continued, "If it's really that bad, I'll leave you alone. And that's what you want, right?"

"Obviously" He rolled his eyes.

I glared at him and he glared back at me. I searched for some ounce of familiarity in his eyes, but I couldn't find anything. They were like a black hole, sucking me in. I didn't recognize him at all, and it was scaring me.

"I'm a murderer" He said, finally.

I stared at him, his words hitting me. That couldn't possibly be true.

"What do you mean?" I asked, horrified.

"I mean I killed someone, Princess" He said, horrible grin on his face, "Is that bad enough for you?"

"I don't believe you" I said, staring at the boy I thought I knew.

"Believe it, honey" He insisted.

"Who did you kill, Grayson?" I asked, seriously.

"Does it matter?" He asked, raising his eyebrows at me.

"Yes" I insisted.

He looked down at his hands for a minute, and I almost thought he wasn't going to answer me, but he did.

"My mother" He said, tonelessly.

"No you didn't" I said, the horrified feeling fading a little bit, "Your mom died in a fire"

"Do you think that fire started by fucking magic?" He snapped, "I started cooking, I turned on the stove, and I fell asleep on the couch"

"Grayson, that was an accident" I said, tearing escaping down my face.

"I took her life, and all I got were a few stupid fucking scars" He snarled, lifting up his shirt. I saw that he had some very old scars on his stomach. They were faded and barely noticable anymore. I wanted to reach out and touch them, but I didn't, of course.

"Grayson-" I started.

"No. It was my fucking fault she died" He said, getting very close to my face.

"No it wasn't" I insisted.

"Yes, it was" He shouted, "You asked why my fucking father doesn't love me, and there's your answer; I killed his wife"

"Grayson, it was an accident" I tried again, voice breaking slightly.

"Does it matter what it was?" He asked coldly, "She's still dead either way"

Tears poured down my face, as Grayson stood there, still as a statue, with his fists clenched and his eyes cold as ice.

"Get the fuck out of here" He said harshly, "I don't want to be around you"

"Grayson, please" I tried one last time. I didn't feel right leaving him alone as upset as he was.

"Why can't you understand that I don't fucking like you?" He snapped, cruelly, "Stop being pathetic and leave"

"I don't even know who you are right now" I said, voice breaking.

"You never did" He said blankly, turning around so his back was to me, "Now, go"

I stared at his back, wiping the tears off of my face. Then, I followed his requests, and left the room. I made my way through the commotion of the party, but it all seemed so stupid now. I just wanted them to all shut up.

I stepped out into the backyard, hoping Josh was still there. He was, luckily, and I told him that Grayson was being weird and what room he was in. As much as I was hurt right now, I didn't want Grayson to drink himself to death or anything.

I slipped into my car while the party was still in full swing, and drove off. I pulled over into the McDonalds drive through, got some fries, and cried and cried and cried.

Author's note- You finally know (partially) why Brayden and Grayson hate each other & (partially) why Grayson thinks he's a bad guy. So, what do you think? 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

38M 1M 75
In which I fall in love with my brother's best friend. ***** "Don't pretend like you don't feel anything." His voice is low, sending shivers down my...
67.4K 1.8K 36
Meet Violet Summers. She's the sarcastic girl who doesn't really ever get noticed by anyone. She blends into any crowd because of how "normal" she is...
38 3 4
CHAPTER 5 OUT SUNDAY!!! Serena Hansen is a very nonchalant girl, she's quick with insults, uncaring about everything except for her loved ones and g...
511K 15.7K 49
"Kara, you're my best friend right?" "Umm yeah?" "You'd do anything for me, right?" "As long as it doesn't involve 10 years in prison, yeah." "Be my...