Promiscuous

By ACNichols

Casey Kirkland despised monogamous, committed relationships. They never work out the way you want them to and... More

Chapter One A New Case
Chapter Two An MMA Event
Chapter Three A handshake
Chapter Four Simply Irresistible
Chapter Five Dislocated...
Chapter Six Lemonade - Sweet & Sour
Chapter Seven Wrong and Right
Chapter Eight Different Strokes
Chapter Nine Baggage
Chapter Ten Baggage Part Two
Chapter Twelve Anywhere
Chapter Thirteen Happiness and Paranoia
Chapter Fourteen Further Down The Rabbit Hole
Chapter Fifteen Case Closed
Chapter Sixteen Groceries and Supplies
Chapter Seventeen Love and Marriage
Chapter Eighteen Bar Fights and Good Friends
Chapter Nineteen Plots
Chapter Twenty Straw Wrappers
Chapter Twenty One Background Check
Chapter Twenty Two A Speech To Remember Part One
Chapter Twenty Three A Speech To Remember Part Two
Chapter Twenty Four Danny's Story
Chapter Twenty Five Heavy Weight Champ
Chapter Twenty Six Daddy Issues
Chapter Twenty Seven Better Than Pain Meds
Chapter Twenty Eight Happily Ever After
Author's Note
Next Book's Link

Chapter Eleven Soon...

100K 2.3K 119
By ACNichols

Quick Note: Meh, I am unsure about this one. I know what I was trying to do, but not sure if it came out right or easily understood. Going to post it after I proof it either way and see what you all think. I am being very critical of myself today. Been an odd one, but I wanted to move this story along. Thank you all for reading and let me know what you think. I am naturally nervous as well when I write male POV, never fails haha. I just don't think its my best but that is why this is a first draft. Love you guys! Oh also, the song I chose is 'All of You' by Don Felder. I love classic rock so even someone my age technically shouldn't know this song and that its on the Heavy Metal movie soundtrack. Nose Dive! < Will only get that if you have seen the movie hehehe. But the song fits for I think Shane's mood, if you go and listen to it after reading this.

*

Shane’s POV

I checked my phone for probably the fifth time this morning. It was an excuse to look and see if Casey called or texted. She said her week would be busy, and it was since I hadn’t heard from her for two days, but I couldn’t help it. Besides waiting for a call from my trainer, I hoped I’d hear from her.

“Heather and I are leaving now….”

“Hmm…?”

“The Garden Party,” Erin scoffed. “My aunt invited me, remember.”

“Oh, right…. Sorry, just can’t picture Heather enjoying herself at one of those,” I snorted. Erin smacked the back of my head playfully as she went by. “You know I could put you under in ten seconds right?” I threatened halfheartedly.

“Yeah, but you won’t.” Erin grinned at me and kissed my cheek.

“What was that for?”

“I don’t say it much, but I am grateful for your friendship all these years.”

“I know,” I smiled and my thoughts strayed to what I was keeping to myself.

“Something’s different….” Erin grabbed my chin forcing me to look at her for a moment. I flicked her hand away when all she did was stare at me.

“You’re happy,” she gasped. “Have you met someone?” Her face lit up with joy. I liked when she looked genuinely happy. So much lately has been just a show.

“You know, you and Bethany have more in common than you think… maybe. Doesn’t matter.” I shook my head waving her off. They were the only two to guess the same thing without me actually saying anything.

Erin made a gagging noise at the mention of my sister. “Who is she?” What does she look like?” And she exploded with questions pouring out of her like a kid that just cracked the piñata open.

“I’m not telling you. Because of the situation, we’ve agreed to keep things discreet.”

“You told this woman?” That shut her up.

“No. Not all of it, basics.” I’ve never lied to Erin before and oddly, I hardly felt guilty for it now because of the circumstances.

I stood one handed to put my lunch dishes in the sink. My arm was in the sling whenever I was at home and not doing any strenuous physical activity. I was saved by the bell, literally, when my phone began to ring which kept Erin from bothering me further.

“It’s Darren,” I said.

“Alright,” Erin pouted. “I have to go anyway. But this…” she mouthed the rest of her sentence as I answered the phone. “Isn’t over.” I nodded rolling my eyes as she hastily grabbed her things and left. I followed her out and stood in the front yard as she left and Darren spoke.

“I can’t wait that long….”

“You will have to. The x-ray showed more damage because you have been using the arm so soon after the dislocation.”

I watched an aqua green sedan drive by in the same direction most who lived on this street did to exit the gated community, though I don’t think I have ever seen that particular one before. The sun was warm and in silent defiance I took off the sling as I thought about what he was saying. To calm myself, I thought what a nice day it would be to see Casey – in a more playful way rather than the last few encounters have been. Maybe in a bikini on the beach….

“Shane….”

“I’m here.”

Darren continued after pulling me out of my thoughts. “And if you get to negotiate a contract with the UFC they will be put out from taking on an injured fighter. Let it heal.”

“I can’t rely on Erin and the Senator forever. I want to be able to provide on my own when this is over.”

“You still will, just don’t ruin your arm before you get that chance. This is already a second one. A lot has been invested in you.”

“Don’t remind me,” I grumbled and hung up.

He was right though. I wish I had never agreed when the Senator first offered to pay all my bills. Especially, now. Yes, I was grateful and young and didn’t want my life to end before it began so to speak so I agreed if Senator Hartford ever needed me in the future. Lately, I have been seeing things differently.

I hated being inactive though. My shoulder wasn’t getting worse, but not any better and I hardly felt pain and now I was forced to take medical leave. The injury became known at the last exhibition. Thanks to trainers that had not been around me before and since I was away from home. Luckily, my coach and Darren had been able to downplay its severity. No one was none the wiser.

If it gets any worse though, with talks of UFC wanting to negotiate a contract I would lose it all. So many roles to play and precariously on the edge of a knife, or so it seemed.

With the house to myself and nothing to do – I wasn’t allowed in the gym and even though I was alone I would honor that request. If Erin caught me anyway she would go off that I wasn’t taking care of myself and going to ruin all the plans I had laid out for myself. But, no one said anything about yard work.

My thoughts drifted to Casey as I chose a chore. Darren couldn’t complain about mowing the lawn. The slow pace of the back and forth rhythm, I found myself longing for her presence. It soothed me. The strangest thing always happened when I was with Casey. The rest of the world disappeared. I felt comfortable with her to indulge all my secrets.

I chuckled. The fact that she was a private investigator might make that easy for most. I’m sure she knows all kinds of secrets. It nagged, still, in the back of my mind that it seemed interesting timing she would walk into my world, but I refused to give it much thought.

All the while as I worked on the yard and taking the trash out to the main bin behind the house, I was greeted by a man lurking around out in the alley as if searching for a residence.

“Can I help you?” I asked.

Startled, he whirled around and stared at who interrupted him. He looked positively guilty and certainly was not a bum. He was dressed nice, casually, but I could tell he was from the city. Clean shaven and physically fit in a different way than I, with a tan he had his phone out. The surprise in his eyes was almost knowingly.

“No. Sorry. I believe I am lost.”

“Is there an address you’re looking for, maybe I can give you directions?”

The man’s phone in his hand started to ring. “No, thank you.”

He turned abruptly and walked back in the direction he was coming from at a brisk pace answering his call. I waited until he disappeared around the corner onto the main street before going back into my private yard.

I called the front security desk to tell them to keep an eye out for any man on foot leaving in the next few minutes. Someone walking would have an easier time getting inside a gated community than a vehicle, but all you needed was one of the residences codes to get in through either transportation mode. Plus, I had a feeling he knew exactly what he was looking for and was not lost at all.

I shrugged when I was finished and thought what a god awful boring day. No life in it. Just monotonous routine. When I was with Casey all that changed….

I needed to see her again. The last two ‘dates’ have been full of tough subjects. The things we both shared recently… well, they are not easy for even the closest of friends and family to tell let alone someone brand new in your life. But I just felt right with her. It’s no wonder all the other women in my life were noticing a change in me. Usually I was much more stoic or uptight as all three girls said.

I dialed Casey, but it went to voice mail. I wondered if she was out on a case and if she was, what did she do. I wanted to know her on every level.

Hot and sweaty from the outdoors work, I hopped in the shower to wait out the only thing left in my day to look forward to. Casey’s return phone call.

I tried to put the thoughts of our kiss out of my mind as my body began to relax under the water. Every time, it just heated me more than the scorching sun outside. I wanted more… I needed more.

I turned the temperature down, but it wouldn’t matter. My flesh stayed hot and the images in my mind became more graphic. I stroked myself, enjoying the fantasies of what I would do to Casey when the time was right….

I slipped slightly and gripped the wall when my phone rang.

Grabbing a towel, I wrapped it around myself as best I could and searched for the phone I set on the counter. Thankful and oddly amused that I was embarrassed, though completely alone.

“Hello,” I answered trying to dry myself off.

“I got your message,” her voice was sultry and smooth and I flexed under the towel. Blue balls for sure now, no matter what.

“Good…. I want to see you and soon.” From the sound of my own voice there was no mistaking the strength of my meaning.

“I want to see you too,” she paused. “Without all the dramatic stories. I’ll be busy all today, but maybe tomorrow?”

“My thoughts exactly… take-out?” I asked amused from our first real dinner together.

She laughed. “I’m worried I will make you sick of take-out sooner rather than later.”

“Not as long as it’s with you.” The words were out before I realized it. Closing my eyes, I banged my head gently on the wall. Dumb, Shane. What was wrong with me?

“Then I might order out more often.” She sounded tongue-tied trying to come back with a suitable flirt. The dry humor was endearing.

“Your place then? Tomorrow at seven?”

“Yes.”

“I can’t wait.” I hung up before she could speak again and bewitch me. It seemed silly all this back and forth and youthfulness. We both were still young, but had been through so much we felt older. That was clear.

More than anything I was grateful for her understanding and desire to be discreet, I was beginning to realize it was for the best right now. Especially with how strongly she affected me. The more I felt, the more pride rose, I wanted to claim her as mine. For the first time in years I was feeling happy. Not that I was miserable before, I have obligations. Now… all I wanted was her….

I finished the job I started in the shower. No reason to stay all tense when I would need a clear head.

*

That night while Erin, Heather and I ate dinner it was a quiet affair and tense. I was glad I relieved myself earlier. My thoughts were consumed of Casey regardless of the body language Erin and Heather had been giving each other. It was safe to assume they had an argument.

“Is everything alright?” I asked, hopefully, in the most neutral tone as possible.

“What do you care? You can live your life without judgment,” Heather snapped viciously.

“Sorry, I asked,” I muttered.

“Father showed up at the garden party.” Erin said with an exaggerated sigh.

“And you immediately began to ignore me.”

“And you know why.”

“I’m sick of it, Erin.” Heather stood slamming her fork down on the plate she ate from and left the room. We heard the front door slam.

After a few silent minutes, I spoke: “I am completely confused.”

Erin tried to smile, but it was more of a sad twitch. “Father surprised my Aunt by showing up. When he saw Heather was with me and not you, he made a big old stink pulling me privately to the side, so I ignored her the rest of the day as he kept his eyes on me the whole time.”

Her eyes now were unfocused, probably the image of Heather leaving still fresh in her mind and how it hurt. She was just blowing off steam and would be back. I thought about how I felt when I argued that first time with Casey. I was angry and yet it was fun.

“You don’t make it easy for anyone, Erin.”

“That will change and soon.” Her voice was almost angry as she picked up her dishes.

I frowned and followed her with my own. “What’s that supposed to mean?” I was concerned and thought it a strange thing to say.

“Nothing… just rambling,” she began to rinse dishes and load the dishwasher as I studied her. We all had secrets now it seemed. “I’m tired, I’ll call her later and head to bed when we are done.”

“Okay.” I nodded and helped her with the dishes. What more could be going on? I don’t think I would like it or could handle anymore plots.

I opened a beer when we finished and chose not to question her further. I stayed out of their private affairs as much as possible. Heather and I didn’t get along as it was so sometimes, my involvement just from being Erin’s best friend alone, makes matters more difficult.

“I’ll be gone tomorrow night, out late, possibly.”

“With your mystery lover?” Erin cooed.

“Yes, and not lover….” I said thoughtfully. Why did everything about her, no matter how small turn me on?

“Not yet. The look on your face says it’s only a matter of time.” Erin said with a yawn as she left to her room.

It was only a matter of time before she would be mine. And soon. I wouldn’t be able to wait much longer.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

11K 217 44
When They Kennedy is accused of dating the billionaire for his money, she finds other means to take care of her sick mother. And that includes workin...
222K 5.4K 27
Kat is known for being rough around the edges, but no one knows why. No one but her best friend, Blake. At the age of only seven, her dad died tragi...
131K 3.2K 39
*SLOWLY BEING EDITED* Zane had a special mission to accomplish. No one could find out that he's undercover. No one. But with those hazel eyes and her...
582 18 16
Love can hurt you or be as beautiful as the Universe. It all comes down to you and your significant other. Ms.Victoria Vanessa Wattson. Everyone c...