A Thousand Encounters

By LettingYouIn

He, Disciplined! She, a beautiful chaos! He, Stalwart! She, a wanderer! He, a soldier! Sh... More

Introduction
Chapter-1
Chapter-2
Chapter-3
Chapter-4
Chapter-5
Chapter-6
Chapter-7
Chapter-8
Chapter-9
Chapter-10
Chapter-11
Chapter-12
Chapter-13
Chapter-14
Chapter-15
Chapter-16
Chapter-17
Chapter-18
Chapter-19
Chapter-20
Chapter-21
Chapter-22
Chapter-23
Chapter-24
Chapter- 25
Chapter-26
Chapter-27
Chapter-28
Chapter-29
Chapter-30
Chapter-31
Chapter-32
Chapter-33
Chapter-34
Chapter-35
Chapter-36
Chapter-37
Chapter-38
Chapter-39
Chapter-40
Chapter-41
Chapter-42
Chapter-43
Chapter-44
Chapter-45
Chapter-46
Chapter-47
Chapter- 48
Chapter-49
Chapter-50
Chapter-51
Chapter-52
Chapter-53
Chapter-54
Chapter-55
Hola
Chapter-56
Hello there!!
Chapter-57
Chapter-58
Chapter-59
Chapter - 60
Chapter- 61
Chapter-62
Chapter-64
Chapter - 65
Chapter-66
Chapter-67
Author's Note

Chapter-63

4.3K 575 79
By LettingYouIn

Manik was seated in living room trying to grasp what had just happened. Nandini had locked herself in her room. Manik looked at the wall clock and sighed. It was half an hour since they had had their first argument since the time they had reconciled.

"This is not how I had imagined our Sunday to be, either," Manik murmured shrugging his shoulders. His eyes gazed the wooden floor beneath while mind tried to contemplate over whatever happened. The way those men spoke to her as if she was some defaulter, his jaw tightened again remembering those words. She had been taking all this nonsense alone and he didn't even know. He cursed under his breath to calm himself down and then practiced deep breaths.

He shouldn't have yelled at her, she might have wanted to tell him about it today. He didn't even give her a chance and shouted at her.

"Shit, it's all my fault," He murmured as he thought about how he might have lashed out her for nothing. She didn't know that he was having issues with her unwillingness to share.

"What the... ," He groaned in perturbation as he combed his hair with his long fingers.

Any day, he could have asked a little less aggressively, He agreed. He was sure if he kept losing his cool, she was never going to open up. Walking to the kitchen, he picked up eggs from the tray. He needed to serve the hellion well to make up for lost one hour of theirs. He knew what their Sundays meant to her and he knew better how precious they were to him. Sundays were the tonic to his heart which kept him going for entire week.

He broke the eggs into the bowl and started to cut the veggies for the Omelet.

"Why me?" He asked himself when toasts got burned in process to clean the messed up kitchen counter.

He picked up the tray and walked towards the room. He knocked gently but heard nothing breaking. He sighed and tried again. This time, he could hear a thing or two breaking. This was her way of answering. Daadu had tales to tell how difficult this hellion could be when angry.

"Open the door, Nandini," He pleaded softly and heard another thing striking the door.

"Wow," He mumbled in amusement and cleared his throat.

"One hour and 20 minutes," He uttered looking at his wrist watch and this time nothing broke inside that room. He could hear her bed creaking and a smile adorned his face.

He waited her to open the door, his excitement had no bound to see her red face when she opened the door but then he couldn't predict her so precisely. He heard her unlatch the door and then may be retreating back to her bed. His frown didn't go unnoticed to her when he entered the room. 

She was sitting on her bed folding her legs and was busy glaring the gorgeous morning view of mountains. Her red nose told it all how she had cried while room also screeched its lungs out to tell how upheaval she had turned it. Manik shook his head and put the tray between them as he sat across her.

He offered her omelette sandwich and she bit her lower lip. She wanted to taste that delicious sandwich but then he didn't even say a simple sorry. She didn't accept the yummy looking omelet and he put it down.

"You know na," He started to say in that utterly defeated tone of his as if a calamity had hit him. And Nandini didn't know how not to burst into laughter. She was angry at so many things and he was one of them but still his antics were enough to make her forget how life had been a bitch to her.

"I didn't mean to shout at you, it's just....," He said and took a dramatic pause, "I want you to share things with me, Nandini."

Finally, Nandini looked at him and his face instantly lighted up. He licked his lips and slid the food tray aside so that he could sit a bit nearer to her.

His palms reached to cup her cheeks and he didn't take more than a second to leave a tender kiss on her forehead.

She sighed audibly and wrapped her arms around his neck. He grinned and hugged her tighter.

"Thank God...." She heard him thanking his stars and she rubbed her red nose on his warm neck. He was the cutest clown ever.

"You were seriously going to spend our Sunday with that girl?" She asked parting away.

Manik gaped her and then scrunched his brows.

"What?" He asked, shocked.

"You are not going to show her around, you understand?" She warned yanking him closer.

Manik furrowed his forehead further and she giggled.

"Seriously?" He asked in disbelief and she laughed louder.

"And I thought you were upset because I yelled at you," He stated, stunned.

"You are crazy, woman," He said and she giggled more.

Breakfast ended with omlete kissing the bedsheet amid giggles and some wrestling.

______________

Daadu sipped the tea as if it was some medicine and then scowled at Manik. Manik smiled at him in return not knowing what did he do wrong.

"He is not a fan of masala tea," Nandini informed as she snuggled into Daadu's chest.

"I am more of a rum person," Daadu divulged scrunching his nose at tea in his hand.

"In day time, Daadu?" Manik asked baffled and Daadu huffed.

"There's no particular time for rum, my boy," He answered coolly.

Manik nodded his head awkwardly while Nandini warned Daadu not to drink much in her absence.

Daadu had come to visit them in noon and Manik was somewhat happy to see him. Though, he wished how no one disturbed them on Sundays but the day was terribly weird since morning. Nandini had cheered up but he could see she was anxious inside. There were some worries which were eating her mind and she wasn't wording them to him.

"So exams are over?" Daadu asked her and she nodded wrapping her arms around his fluffy tummy.

Manik smiled knowingly how all his concerns might get answered now. Daadu was getting her to talk. Manik realized how his and Nandini's relation had miles to go.

"What's next now?" Daadu asked picking the snacks from the table.

"I was thinking to keep Uncle Bernard's job as volunteer job only," She said unsure, "I don't like taking salary for such good cause."

Daadu smiled and then frowned. His stubborn Granddaughter was making her own life difficult by not accepting any aid.

"It takes bread and butter to survive, Nandu," He stated as matter of fact.

Nandini's forehead formed some frowns and she bit her lip. It didn't go unnoticed by Manik who was keenly observing her.

"I have an interview tomorrow," She informed and Manik jumped on his place.

"You didn't even tell me, Nandini," He said elated and Daadu chuckled at the jumpy man. He told Manik in eyes how he was still the boss here.

"I wanted to crack it first. I don't like expectations," Nandini warned him beforehand and he pursed his lips. She was altogether turning into a difficult creature as if she wasn't one already.

"She doesn't like anyone asking her about exams, results and her pocket money," Daadu told Manik seeing face of that baffled boy. A teenage Nandini wasn't easy either, Daadu remembered. How he could not equip Manik about an adult Nandini now!

Chats went on till evening when Daadu decided to head back to Murthy Mansion. Manik offered him a ride as he wanted to talk to him alone. Bidding bye to Nandini, Daadu got settled in car waiting for Manik. Even he had to talk to Manik about certain things.

___________

It was late in evening when Manik returned. Nandini was busy doing something disastrous in kitchen. Kitchen was screaming for help as Manik gaped the scene in front of his eyes.

"What are your even doing?" He asked horrified as he saw her emptying the floor bag into mixing bowl. She coughed as a result of such vigorous blow.

"I thought to bake you a cake," She answered as if it wasn't a big deal.

"Don't gawk at me like that. I can try baking, baking isn't cooking, right?" She was absurd and he was shocked.

Manik shook his head and let out some giggles. Walking to bedroom, he turned on the lights. It was almost dark outside. String lights adorned the room so gorgeously. Manik was proud of himself for decorating that room so effeciently.

"Manikkk," She yelled and Manik ran out to see what had she done.

"What happened? What did you do?" He asked afraid.

Nandini glared him for having such low faith in her baking skills.

"Your beloved kitchen is all fine, Cadet," She mocked and advanced the mixing bowl to him.

"Taste it," She ordered and he looked at her as if she had descended from Mars.

"The batter?" He asked to clarify.

"It tastes yummy," She answered, "You should try it."

Manik picked up the spoon to try out that flowy mixture. He thought people ate it after baking. Alas! He was wrong. Nandini knew it better.

"Idiot you are," Nandini mumbled and snatched the bowl from his hand. Dipping her index finger in the batter, she put it in between his parted lips. He licked it all flushed, trying not to look too naive not to see it coming. Of course, he could have thought. But then his clinical approach never let his mind wander off the task.

"It's good," He said still busy in taking that batter off his lips. She had sprawled it over his lips as if it was a canvas.

"Should I add some more sugar?" She asked stepping a little closer. Her eyes had tint of mischief while her hands tried to remove the bowl from his hands.

"A little maybe," He spoke in a whisper as she put the bowl on the slab. He wouldn't mind. Why should he? He for sure was assertive for some reimbursement for a dull day.

"You tell me, I didn't taste it," She said gazing his flushed face.

"Maybe you should taste it then," He said and wrapped his arms around her waist. Nandini raised her brow in appreciation.

Her arms encircled his neck and she stepped on his boots.

Manik supported her lower back while she made her way to taste it from his lips.

_______________

Three days passed since Sunday was gone, that's how they counted it. It was Thursday and Nandini was going to give her third interview.

First interview which was with a car trader for the post of a sales executive. It did well but results didn't. They apparently hired a person with experience. Nandini couldn't understand how a fresh graduate could fulfill this condition.

Second one was with a wholesale dealer. He had advertised about post of an accountant and ended up hiring a multitasking receptionist.

Nandini drove her truck towards the outskirts of the town. Life wasn't as smooth as its narration was. It was full of speedbreakers.

In these three days, she and Manik didn't talk over phone. She didn't call him. She didn't have anything new to tell him besides her worried sighs. He didn't call either, he might be busy.

"Sachdeva Farms"

The huge board gaped the face of Nandini and she took a deep breath. She needed this job, she had to pay money to that broker by end of this month. She knew that name flashing on the board.

The guard let her in after some basic enquiry and she drove her vehicle towards the stable. Anand Sachdeva was one of top names in equine business in the state. She knew entire bio data of that man. A 50 years old man who worked day and night to take down one name and that name was Madhav Murthy. In equine business, this man was the rival to her father. She knew what she was signing into. She was basically going to annoy her father more by taking this job. But contrary to situational irony, she wasn't doing it to get back at Madhav Murthy but to fend herself. She couldn't care any less how terribly her father was going to take this news.

She was called for job of keeping accounts as well as horses. She had quite an experience in this field, thanks to her father. She loved and knew those creatures better than anyone else.

She was called inside the office and that broke her chain of thoughts.
___________

Manik jogged to the office and sought permission from the officer on duty to make a call. It was forth days and Nandini hadn't called him. He found it strange. Ongoing week was keeping him busier than ever. There was an outdoor drill. Then he was assigned an extra task and that was to assist Avanti in her documentary. He didn't get why Colonel Singh would choose him. He was least interested in such endeavors.

He dialed the number and heard the ringing tone. It went unanswered and he frowned. He dialed again and again she didn't answer. Biting his lip, he came out of booth trying to get why she wouldn't take the call.

He walked in the corridor all lost in his thoughts when he collided with someone. He looked up and found Harshad. Harshad was grinning at him for God knew what.

"What?" Manik asked putting a straight face.

"Missing her?" Harshad teased him wrapping his arm around his neck.

"There's nothing like this. I was just worried," Manik said trying to protect his all over the place emotions.

"So you aren't missing Nandini? Hawwww," Harshad dug further and Manik pursed his lips in anger.

"Harshaddddd," Manik warned him and he giggled.

"Manik"

They both heard a feminine voice calling Manik. Manik closed his eyes in frustration and Harshad turned around to smirk at the petite figure.

"Avanti," Harshad greeted her and she gave a small smile.

"Manik, I was thinking if we could go and dig history chamber. I needed to get some..." She kept on saying while Manik tried to rein his temper. Here he was worried for Nandini and there Avanti wasn't leaving him alone.

"And then I would be able to research a bit in night... You know..." She kept on talking and Manik lost it.

"See, Avanti!" He turned around and said it aloud. She looked at bit startled by Manik's tone.

"I am a little occupied now. I don't think so I can help you out right now," He stated curtly.

"I didn't want to bother you. It's just I needed to complete..." She started to say but Manik cut her in between.

"I don't care if you have to complete something or not," Manik almost yelled at her and Harshad put his hand on Manik's shoulder.

"I freaking need a break right now. Can't you see I am a bit occupied?" He ended up talking his mind. Harshad murmured something in his ear to calm him.

Avanti who was baffled by Manik's reaction opened her mouth to say something but then gulped those words down. She turned around and left.

"Manik, what's wrong with you?" Harshad asked him in disbelief.

Manik didn't care to answer and walked away.

_________________

Nandini reached the broker's office. It was 7 in evening and she couldn't wait to throw this month's installment on that man's face. He had snatched her precious sleep for no reason and now it was time to snatch his smug. His employer, Mr Sachdeva, was elated to have her on board and credited her account with advance salary. She was not amused, who wouldn't want to have Nandini Murthy on their side when it came to equine business. Okay, cutting the exaggeration, who wouldn't want to have their rival's daughter onboard. It was a win-win situation.

She entered the broker's office and found him engulfed in a cricket match. She threw the heavy envelope on his table to draw his attention. He looked up at her and grinned nervously.

"Ms Nandini, you here?" He asked sweetly making Nandini frown.

He asked her take the chair and she eyed him suspiciously. Nandini gestured him to take the envelope and he followed her silent command. Sometimes, Nandini felt a little too proud at her capability to intimidate people. Heck, she thought she was better at giving commands than Manik. She controlled her smile and waited for broker to take out the money.

"What's this?" He asked perplexed.

Nandini glared at him not knowing why he was behaving so ignorant.

"This month's installment," She answered carelessly and got up to leave.

"But that's already paid," Broker's confused words reached her ear and she turned around.

"I didn't pay anything. I am paying now," She cleared.

"No, this month's payment is already done," He argued with conviction.

Nandini furrowed her brows in confusion and asked him to elaborate.

"That man with you other day, he came on Sunday and paid the installment for this month and even for next month," He revealed and Nandini thought she heard it wrong.

"What?" Her lips involuntarily let out the disbelief.

"I even apologized to him for pestering you. He was damn angry," Broker divulged as if it was one interesting tale. Nandini could feel her heart thumping so loudly and vein on her temple throbbing. She didn't want to believe it that Manik had paid the installment without even telling her. He didn't even wait till month ended.

She couldn't hear what that broker was blabbering. She stormed out of his office and hurriedly took out her phone. She saw two missed calls from academy and she didn't take a second to call back.

Officer on duty asked her to wait while she tried her best to calm her heartbeats down. She was beyond shocked that Manik had not waited when she had clearly told she would make the payment.

"Hello," He spoke and sounded so urgent to hear her voice. She didn't feel like replying back hearing his pants.

"Nandini," He called her name when she didn't reply.

"Did you pay the installment to that broker?" She asked in controlled tone.

"Shit," He murmured and Nandini felt her cheeks going hot.

"Couldn't you wait till month ends?" She yelled not being able to rein herself more.

"Nandini..." His culpable voice touched her ears and she groaned.

"Did you also think I wouldn't be able to meet the deadline? That much faith you have in my words?" She was yelling and crying at the same time.

"There's nothing like that, Nandini," His voice came out as defense. He by no mean had undermined her claims.

"No tell me, Why did you pay it when I had told you that I was going to pay it before month ends?" She asked banging the bonnet of her truck.

"That man was harassing you, God damn it," Manik spoke as matter of fact.

"How could I let him coerce you like that?" He put forward his side of story firmly.

"Cadet Malhotra, you thought I couldn't handle all this? Are you that ignorant that you think I can't handle morons like him?" She asked on top of her voice. Passersby gave her a quizzical look.

"Why are you getting so worked up, Nandini?" Manik too replied a bit defensively. He knew he should have told her but then he did inform Daadu about it. They both were going to tell her upcoming Sunday.

"You paid, I paid, isn't it the same thing?" He asked sternly.

"It's not about that," She answered back annoyed.

"I know I should have told you but you wouldn't have understood it," He spoke assertively. Nandini shook her head and chuckled.

"You all thought I wouldn't be able to make it," She said sadly. Manik shook his head, she was taking it all wrong.

"There's nothing like that. You would have but I couldn't let that moron pester you anymore. Even you know he was going to call you everyday. He brought those goons the other day. Do you think I could let that continue," He spoke ardently.

She didn't speak anything and that irked Manik.

"Say something, Nandini," He was restless.

"Do one thing, pay the entire amount by yourself. I am good for nothing without others' help," She let out the words.

Manik held the receiver tightly as a gush of anger soaked him.

"You are taking it all wrong, Nandini," He stated in a warning tone.

"I am the wrong, Manik. Dad said I won't be able to do anything and see I faltered in second month only. Even you don't believe in me. Maybe Daadu too thinks I am incapable. What's the point? I told you I was going to get a job. But no, you couldn't wait," She kept on talking in muffled tone. She was hurt, that was not new but this time it was hurting.

"Stop uttering bullshit, You idiot! Even you know we didn't do this to make you feel like this," He spoke through his teeth. His temper was seeing the boom since morning and now it was going to blow the roof.

"But I am feeling like a worthless shit right now. What can you do about that?" She yelled at him.

"I had bought that piece of land. I had vowed to pay for it. Why you couldn't have faith in me?" She asked not getting why would Manik not trust her with it.

"So now it's your land only. I thought it was my house too," He had lost himself to anger and he didn't know what he was talking. He had lost the hold on central point.

"FINE! Then why I should even care? Why I should even say that place as my house when I cannot even make a simple payment for it?" He barked mindlessly and Nandini cut the call.

Manik kept hearing the disconnect tone while huffing like a bull. He put the receiver down angrily and walked out of the booth, and then room.

Nandini on other side drove her red lady towards unknown path at unbelievable speed. Her mind was a battlefield and she was sole warrior against all the pain. She was going to defeat the pain like every time. At least she believed she could.

_________
________________
Unedited*

Do leave your reviews, they motivate me like nothing else. 😍😍

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

751 204 200
Everything I wrote about you...
His Kryptonite. By Nqaba_

Mystery / Thriller

290 11 14
As the villainous antagonist secretly lives out his fantasy, will he be stopped by her one true love? Or will she lay wavering in the storm?
9.5M 627K 75
An Arranged Marriage Story. #1 Hot (17-11-23) #1 Happyending (17-11-23) #2 Shy (13-11-23) #3 Cold hearted (27- 10- 23) POWER!!!!! That's what he alwa...
138 1 9
oneshots!! yes!!