FLIGHTLESS BIRD // Detroit Be...

By midnightXcross

Detroit: Become Human AU, where it is instead set in a high school. --- He flew past you. That was the best... More

Chapter 1: Falling Swan
Chapter 3: Secrets and Truths
Chapter 4: The Detective
Chapter 5: It's A Date
Chapter 6: Cupid Kara
Chapter 7: Fairy Godmother
Chapter 8: The Party
Chapter 9: Mystery
Chapter 10: Class Rep
Chapter 11: Friends and Strangers
Chapter 12: Dancing Through The Past
Chapter 13: Searching For An Answer
Chapter 14: Trouble
Chapter 15: Cain
Chapter 16: Fallen
Chapter 17: Matched
Chapter 18: Jericho
Chapter 19: Alarm
Chapter 20: Missing
Chapter 21: Conflicting Feelings
Chapter 22: Trapped
Author Note
Chapter 23: Mission
Chapter 24: Doubt
Chapter 25: Reasons To Smile
Chapter 26: Destruction
Chapter 27: Darkness
Chapter 28: Burning Feelings
Chapter 29: Water's Edge
Chapter 30: Pretenses
Chapter 31: Game Of Life
Chapter 32: Reason

Chapter 2: Finding Your Feet

1.6K 79 99
By midnightXcross

"Connor..." You mumured. The named rolled off your tongue pleasantly.

"Yeah, Connor," Kara nodded, still gazing at the football team. "He's one of the top players on the football team. He's like a robot. He hasn't lost a game for the team once..." She smirked, watching Connor high five one of the other members of the team. You still stood there, completely awe-struck after that moment where you met his eyes. You continuously replayed the scene where he seemed to wink at you over and over again in your mind. You had never seen someone as beautiful and perfect as Connor appear in front of you. It was as if he wasn't even real. As Kara had said; just like a robot.

"Hey... earth to [F/N]," You heard Kara say. You blinked as her hand waved in front of your face. "What's gotten into you...?"

"Hey watch out!!" You heard the cry before you understood what it meant.

"[F/N]!"

THUNKKKK

You felt the back of your head hit the ground, the football bounding off your forehead and tumbling away into the greenery beside you. You weakly fluttered your hand towards the area, gingerly resting it where the ball had hit.

"Ohmigosh, [F/N], are you okay?!" Kara looked down at you, as you lay on the grass, your head throbbing where the football had hit it.

"Holy crap, I am so sorry!!" You heard a boys voice. Then you heard footsteps crushing the grass to move over to you.

"Jesus Connor, way to hit on the new student." One of the other boys chuckled. "Ow!" You imagined that Kara or Connor elbowed him.

Then his face came into view above you. Those stunning chocolate brown eyes stared down at your limp form. You couldn't break your gaze on them. His eyebrows furrowed in worry.

"I'm so, so sorry... I wasn't looking," Connor muttered. "Are you okay?" You couldn't respond. His voice was just as beautiful as his face. You were swimming in thoughts traveling too fast for you to process. You had never reacted like this to anyone, let alone a complete stranger, but here you were. Way to go [F/N], falling for a boy you had just met!! You felt your cheeks flush pink at the thought.

"I think you should take her to the first aid..." You heard Kara mutter.

"Yeah, I think you're right about that."

A second later, strong arms were lifting you from your stupor, hands moving to rest your arm around his neck. Connor's lips twitched into the slightest smile.

"It's going to be okay. I'll take you to the nurses office..."

"Okay..." You murmured, trying to regain focus in your muddled mind. You began to carefully walk, Connor's strong arms and body keeping you on your feet.

"Wait Connor!! What am I supposed to tell Mr Anderson?"

"Tell him I'm skipping out again!"

"Honestly..." Kara muttered, her words sounding harsh, yet you could hear the grin in them.

---

As Connor supported your body, your feet began to fall into a natural rhythm beside his. You were beginning to regain the ability to think clearly, even as Connor held his arm around your waist to help you stand. You watched him now, trying to burn the image of his face into your mind. His eyes flickered to you, then flickered away; then back again.

"I really am sorry..." Connor murmured near your ear. "You're the new student, aren't you? I bet it's pretty awful to get hit by a football on your first day..."

"No... it's okay..." You replied, still feeling dizzy from the incident. "I should've been paying more attention."

"My name is Connor..." He said to you. "What's your name?"

"I'm [F/N]... [F/N], [L/N]..."

"[F/N]..." He smiled again, that beautiful heart stopping smile. "I like that name..."

"Do you say that to every girl you meet?" You blurted out before you could stop yourself. You clasped a hand over your mouth, cheeks turning red. Connor laughed.

"No..." He started, "Well... only the pretty ones."

Those were the last words you heard before you saw the floor come dangerously close. You heard Connor call your name again, before the world around you faded into darkness.

---

You gasped awake in cold sweat. You were lying in a crisp white room, underneath a clean sheet. You moved your hands tentatively over the surface, feeling each fold and wrinkle disappear. You were in the nurses office. You reached up to your forehead where the ball hit gingerly. A bandage was placed over it. As you walked to the mirror across the room, you carefully peeled it off. No significant damage; that was good. Not much bruising either. You touched it gently with your fingers.

Then you remembered Connor. You spun, glancing around the room in all directions; but he was gone. Nowhere to be seen. You exhaled. You felt disappointed that Connor was no longer there, but relieved also. If you had spent any longer in his presence, you weren't sure what you would have said or done next. Your mind felt clouded with emotions when you were next to him. You touched your forehead, remembering the way he looked at you when he was helping you walk. The way his brows furrowed when he was concerned. You felt your lips twitch into a smile that matched his when he called you by your name.

"Miss [L/N]," You flinched. The nurse had pulled the curtain open, seeing you standing there. "Glad to see you're awake."

"U-Umm... yes... I feel fine now," You muttered giddily.

"Then you'd better get a move on," The nurse piped. "Class started half an hour ago."

The nurse practically pushed you out of the first aid ward, and closed the door behind you. You flinched, imagining the corridor full of students all turning to look at your sudden intrusion. Instead, when you opened your eyes, you found the corridor empty and eerily quiet. Of course there weren't any students; Classes were on after all. You knew you would have to get there fast. You made a move to pull your backpack off; only to find that it was gone. Your schedule was gone, your textbooks, pencils, everything. You audibly groaned. How could this day get any worse?

You slowly made your way up the hallway. Perhaps you would be lucky like the first time, and run into a teacher who could point you in the right direction. You wouldn't exactly call the first time 'lucky', but you were willing to accept anything at this point.

You were feeling hopelessly lost and desperate when you heard it. A beautiful melody, played on the keys of an old piano. The sound echoed up the hallway, and soon you found yourself recognizing the melody. It was a familiar song, one you always loved. You used to dance to it as a child, when you were first finding your feet. You started humming as you wandered up the hallway, moving closer and closer to the source of the beautiful song. You immediately began to feel calmer as the music got louder and louder. And soon you came across the source of the noise.

You eyed the sign above the door; Music Room #2. You peered into the slightly foggy windows. The room was empty, save for a teenage boy. He was beautiful. Even from your distance away from him, you could still see the perfect structure of his face. His eyes gazed only at the notes of the piano, sometimes closing, letting the sounds of the song wash over him. You stayed at the window for a long moment, watching that boy with the piano. It was the second time you had seen an angel that day.

You don't know when you realized it, but you had began to dance to the music. As you continued to move up the corridor, your feet moved the similar rhythm to the song that you had danced to growing up. You remembered the way your mother held your hands as you spun, a broad grin stretched across your face. Even your mother said you were a swan. You felt your arms stretch above your head, your hair flutter in front of your face as your legs pointed and lifted you higher, higher off the ground, until you were flying. You hadn't felt this way for years, but suddenly, hearing that familiar song being played by the hands of an angel took you back to a time where you felt like you could do anything.

You didn't even notice when the music had stopped. You finished your dance, imagining all the people smiling and applauding, calling encore, and throwing roses at your feet. Instead, as you turned to face your make believe audience, all there was was the boy; or rather, the man. That face you had seen through the window stared back at you, not beyond the glass anymore, but directly in front of your eyes. Your vision crashed and burned around you as you realized he had been watching the entire time. A smile graced his lips, and you noticed his two sparkling eyes, one green, one blue.

"That was beautiful," He said softly.

You couldn't reply. The confirmation that he had seen the entire dance startled you. How long had he been watching? You felt your face turn red. His happy expression faltered, as he noticed the look of panic spreading quickly across yours. He held out his hand to make you stop, but you were already running down the hallway, taking panicked flight. You heard him call out behind you, but you weren't stopping.

---

You panted as you reached a more familiar hallway. You looked up at the sign above the door to confirm it; your classroom. Taking a moment to let your breath return to your seemingly ruptured lungs, you pushed open the classroom door.

All faces in the room looked up to stare at you, and for the second time today, you felt a pain in your head.

"Glad to see you decided to join us Miss [L/N]," You looked up at Mr Anderson, as he smirked back at the textbook he held open. "Thought you had decided to run off with Con." He waited expectantly for you to take a seat.

You felt the other students eyes on your back as you made your way across the room, taking your seat next to Kara. Mr Anderson continued to read from the book boredly in the background. Kara winked at you, holding out a familiar pack to you. You took it from her, relief flooding your face. Kara always seemed to make you feel relaxed.

"I thought you might need your bag."

"Thanks Kara," You whispered, a genuine smile spreading across your face. It was good to finally see Kara again. You glanced at Mr Anderson, to make sure he wasn't watching. "Why did Mr Anderson mention Connor?"

"Didn't you know?" Kara gave you a surprised look. "Connor's in this class."

"What?!" You squeaked. Mr Anderson looked up at you.

"Do you have something to add Miss [L/N]?"

"No, sorry Mr Anderson..." You stuttered. "Please continue."

Kara scribbled a note on her desk then passed it to you with a grin. You hesitantly unfolded the note in your lap.

"Connor has always been in this class. He is just skipping out today because Mr Anderson is teaching, and he knows it ;)"

"But why would he skip out because of Mr Anderson?"

You wrote your response and passed the note back to Kara. Kara giggled. She mouthed the words, 'later', as one of the students began to pass out examples from the textbook. You took yours, still feeling confusion. You had so many questions; Yet you weren't even sure where to begin.

As you eyed your textbook, your mind wandered back to the face of that man who played the piano. That man who watched you dance for the first time in years. You had only seen him once; and yet you couldn't get the sight of those eyes out of your mind.

---

After class, you were finally able to find your locker, with Kara's help. You felt relief wash over you at the end of the day, knowing you would finally be able to return home, to a place where you felt safe and comfortable. Kara smiled, as you exhaled.

"Busy day, huh?"

"Yeah...Tell me about it..." You sighed, smiling at her. Kara opened her mouth to continue, when you saw her face look at something behind you. Her mouth curved into the biggest smile you had ever seen Kara make. She practically shone with joy. You turned around and felt your mouth fall open.

Standing in front of you was the biggest teenager; or man; that you had ever seen. He seemed more like a bear than a human, standing tall and broad above you. The mean brutish looking boy that you had seen before, who Kara had referred to as 'Gavin', stood no chance against this new miniature giant. You wouldn't even imagine him as a high schooler, if it weren't for the uniform stretched taunt over his muscles.

"Luther!!" You heard Kara squeal. Then you watched as she stood on her toes, wrapping her arms around him. Luther wrapped his arms around her, lifting her off the ground, as she planted a kiss square on his lips. You flushed as you stood there, watching this giant wrap the petite Kara in his arms. But the love and joy on Kara's face made you want to smile too. You awkwardly stood there for a long moment, wondering if you should leave, until Kara turned and noticed you still standing there. Luther carefully put a breathless and flustered Kara on the ground.

"Oh, um, [F/N], this is Luther!" She flushed, gesturing up at Luther. "He's my boyfriend."

Luther smiled at you. It was a warm smile that reminded you of Kara's smile. You couldn't help but return it.

"Luther, this is [F/N]. She just transferred here, so she is new in our class."

"It's nice to meet you [F/N]," Luther genuinely said. "I hope my girlfriend has been treating you well." He grinned at Kara. Kara elbowed him. "Ow." Kara giggled.

"Well, are you ready to go?"

"Yeah, I think so," Kara beamed at him. "Oh, [F/N]!" She seemed to forget you were there when Luther was around. "You should come with us!!"

"W-Where are you going?" You muttered in surprise.

"We're going to Alice's ballet recital," She grinned, then added. "Oh, Alice is my little sister."

"O-Oh!!' You muttered in surprise. You glanced at their expectant faces. Being reminded of being caught in the act dancing previously, you gulped. You forced a smile onto your face. "Yes, I would love to." Then you added, genuinely, "I'd love to meet your little sister."

"Great!!" Kara exclaimed. She checked her phone for the time. "It starts in twenty. It's being held at the Detroit elementary, just around the corner." Luther wrapped his arm around Kara's waist and Kara giggled. They began to speak teasingly to each other, giggling and flushing in each others arms. But you were no longer paying them any mind.

You met someones gaze through the crowd of chatting students. It was him, the teenager you had seen previously playing the piano. The angel. He didn't smile, he simply stood still as the students moved around him; like he wasn't there in the first place. Those eyes, one green, one blue, seemed to stare into your very soul, through to the very core of your being.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.7K 19 10
You're a party girl. Plain and simple. Your life is pretty good to you. You go out almost every night that you're available and when you don't you st...
263K 9.8K 53
You've always had an interest in androids ever since you were a child. The very thought that technology could create an intelligent life-form that lo...
142K 6.1K 21
[ 𝐃𝐄𝐓𝐑𝐎𝐈𝐓: 𝐁𝐄𝐂𝐎𝐌𝐄 𝐇𝐔𝐌𝐀𝐍 𝐱 𝐑𝐄𝐀𝐃𝐄𝐑 ] (ON HOLD UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE) ❛𝙄 𝙖𝙢 𝙖𝙬𝙖𝙧𝙚 𝙩𝙝𝙖𝙩 𝙮𝙤𝙪 𝙖𝙧𝙚 𝙙𝙚𝙫𝙞𝙖𝙣𝙩...
194K 9.1K 18
You had just witnessed a murder - was it a murder? Nothing could make you forget the fear you saw in the eyes of what you thought was just a machine...