Ablaze »»DARKEST MINDS««

By hope_sees_the_stars

"𝙄'𝙒 𝙣𝙀𝙩 π™‘π™žπ™ π™š π™©π™π™šπ™’. 𝙄'𝙒 - π™™π™žπ™›π™›π™šπ™§π™šπ™£π™©." "π™π™§π™šπ™˜π™ π™‘π™šπ™¨, π™¬π™š'π™§π™š 𝙖𝙑𝙑 π™™π™žπ™›π™›... More

ABLAZE
PROLOGUE
CHAPTER ONE
CHAPTER TWO
CHAPTER THREE
CHAPTER FOUR
CHAPTER FIVE
CHAPTER SEVEN
CHAPTER EIGHT
CHAPTER NINE
CHAPTER TEN
CHAPTER ELEVEN
CHAPTER TWELVE
CHAPTER THIRTEEN
CHAPTER FOURTEEN
CHAPTER FIFTEEN
CHAPTER SIXTEEN
CHAPTER SEVENTEEN
CHAPTER EIGHTEEN
CHAPTER NINETEEN
CHAPTER TWENTY
CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE
CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO
UPDATE <3

CHAPTER SIX

2.9K 83 19
By hope_sees_the_stars

CHAPTER SIX:
STAR
Ψ

The Xi Blues escort us through the winding mall, taking us up unmoving escalators and down several walkways, until we finally stop in front of a dark old store. Most of the letters on the sign remain intact, letting us know that the shop is an old Sephora. I used to long to go inside one of these as a younger girl, but my parents always told me when I get older I could. Well, looks like they were right.

"Star," the redhead, who had introduced himself on the journey as Daniel, calls into the shop as we step inside. The others who helped escort us stay outside and resume whatever they had been doing before. I glance over my shoulder at Dane, who is staring ahead of us with his face a little less enthusiastic than earlier.

String lights provide the only light in the shop, which isn't much. Daniel leads Dane, Marcy, Bo, and I down the middle of the store towards the back. We take a turn around a mostly bare shelf, which led us straight to the counter, where an old cash register sits completely covered in more string lights. Even more string lights hang from the counter, making it the most illuminated spot in the entire store, but that isn't what everyone is looking at. A tall dark-skinned girl, maybe around 18 years old, with pale purple pigtails and choppy bangs obscuring her dark eyes from view, sits on top of the counter, picking at her nails. She glances up at us as we approach. Her beady eyes watch each of us closely, lingering on Dane longer than anyone else.

"You're that Yellow from East River," she says, and hops down from the counter. She towers over each of us with her incredible, yet intimidating, height. She waves Daniel off and he obediently ducks out.

Dane adjusts the ball cap on his head and tries to plaster that easy-going smile he always seems to wear, but it comes out strained. Star looks to Marcy, Bo, and I with her eyebrows low.

"Now, you three I'm not familiar with."

"This is Bo, Marcy, and Freckles," Dane introduces us. I almost feel like I should shake her hand or something, but the cold look in her eyes makes me think otherwise. 

"Freckles, interesting name. It suits you," she smirks. The way she says it sounds patronizing. "What are your colors?"

"I'm Blue," Marcy answers first. Something flashes in Star's eyes, but she masks it and looks to Bo.

"You look quite young, Bo. Too young to have a color."

He doesn't agree or disagree, instead he grabs onto my hand with both of his and watches her with his curious round eyes. Star's dark eyes finally move to me. She cocks an eyebrow.

"Red," I say, quietly. Star stares at my face for a second, unmoving, until she suddenly erupts into a loud, boisterous laugh. Everyone jumps at the unexpected laughing, which makes Star laugh even more and even let out a snort.

"I — I'm sorry, it's just — you got me for a second. What color are you actually, Freckles?"

I stare at the purple haired girl in disbelief. Why would I joke about this?

"She told you she's Red," Dane says, glancing between Star and me. Her face suddenly goes serious.

"Impossible. All the Reds who aren't dead are in Jamboree." Noticing my confused look, she continues, "Project Jamboree; a secret government army of Reds."

"If it's secret then how do you know?" I ask. Star crosses her arms over her chest and smiles sweetly.

"I'm sorry, am I being interviewed now?"

Dane sets a hand on my shoulder. When I look up at him he shakes his head, mentally telling me not to push it. It's obvious he at least trusts these people a little bit, so maybe I should, too.

"Reds bring in a hefty reward," Star states. "You'll be safe here."

"Thank you, but we won't be staying long." Dane smiles at her appreciatively and tucks his hands into the front pockets of his jeans. Star's eyebrows shoot up.

"Oh?" she says the same time Marcy says, "what?"

"We need to find Freckles's friend, Jeremy."

I snap my head up to look at him, only to realize he's already looking down at me with that easy smile making an appearance once again. My heart flutters in my chest. I can't believe he remembered. I just assumed that after what happened in the woods he gave up with helping me find the Yellow who saved my life multiple times in the Zone, and I would have to locate him myself.

"Stay a couple nights at least, you look like you haven't slept a wink in days," Star persuades, inching closer to Dane with a pout on her lips. Before he can reply, she adds,"We have food."

"Do you have skittles?" Bo asks hopefully. She grins down at him and crouches to his height. Bo backs up as she taps him on the nose.

"Of course we have the best candy known to mankind," she mock gasps, making Bo break into a mile long grin. Dane sighs next to me.

"Fine, we'll stay for a night," he caves in, not looking too happy about it.

"Three," Star argues. Dane taps his fingers along his side as he stares back at her with unflinching eyes.

"Two."

"Alright," Star smiles, "I'll send someone to show you around." With that, she plops back down on the counter and resumes picking at her nails. Marcy and Dane share a look with me. What exactly are we supposed to do now?

"Follow me," a voice says from behind us, making Marcy jump and let out a surprised yelp. We hesitantly follow loosely behind a girl around Marcy's age down the dark, dimly-lit halls of the dingy mall. We walk quietly for a while, walking past several dark outlet stores and abandoned cafés. No one joins us in the halls.

"I thought you said you were the biggest tribe of Blues?" Marcy asks, also noticing the lack of people. The girl doesn't turn around as she answers us.

"We are. Everyone stays on the top floors though."

We turn down another hallway and walk across a platform with the walls open so we can see the floor below. Gripping the railing, I lean my head over the side to peer downwards at the two figures standing together at the front of the old Sephora. I watch as they talk, one of them constantly gripping something on his belt. The light catches on the shiny barrel of the weapon just as the boy pulls his shirt down to cover it. I start walking again when I feel a hand on my back. Dane watches me curiously, but doesn't say anything.

"So why are you called the Xi Blues?" I ask. The girl ahead of us glances over her shoulder, meeting my inquisitive look with a look that tells me she expected us to ask that.

"Star and the original Xi Blues broke out of Youngstown, which was the fourteenth rehabilitation camp ever made. Xi is the fourteenth letter in the Greek alphabet, and it's also the term that refers to the fourteenth star in a constellation. Star's into astronomy and crap. It's why she changed her name," she informs us, then turns sharply around a corner. We follow close behind to find ourselves at a stairwell. A big, blue "X" is sprayed painted on the wall. Muffled chatter and the sound of metal clinking against metal meets my ears, making me hesitate on the first step. If this really is the largest crowd of Blues in the country, would they all be up here?

The girl starts to climb up the steps, so with one last hesitant glance from Bo, a determined look from Marcy, and a reassuring smile from Dane, we follow. We end up climbing just two flights of stairs and stopping in front of the biggest crowd of kids I have ever seen in my entire life sitting and laughing and eating in a food court the size of a ballroom. I'm honestly surprised they aren't being louder than they are.

"This is where we eat. You came just in time for dinner," the girl tells us with a smile, then points down another hallway towards more stores. "Down that way is where we sleep. The Journey's is where you guys will stay — it's the least crowded shop."

We all just stare dumbly at the amount of kids in the food court, laughing and eating happily like the world hasn't been falling apart around us. The girl notices our hesitance and laughs.

"Help yourselves, there's plenty of food." She sets a hand on Marcy's shoulder, still smiling as she studies each of our dumbfounded faces. "Wait, you're Blue, right?" She suddenly asks. Marcy seems to snap out of her stupor and nods, making the girl's smile widen — if it's possible. "What's your name?"

"Marcy."

"I'm Harley. You can come sit with me and my friends if you want," Harley says, throwing a thumb over her shoulder towards a group of girls sitting around a circular table. I take a wild guess and assume they're all Blues as well; a salt shaker and several napkins are passed across the table without anyone touching them.

Dane reaches out to set a hand on Marcy's other shoulder, but before he can say anything, she answers Harley with a big smile mirroring the other girl's.

"Sure."

"Wait, I think we should all stick together for now," Dane says, his authoritative tone showing through his voice. Marcy sends him an overly-dramatic eye rolls, which makes him clench his jaw in annoyance.

"I'll be fine, Dane. You can still sit with Bo and Freckles."

"But —"

"Dane, seriously, you're embarrassing me," she hisses, quiet enough that Harley can't hear but Dane and I could. She crosses her arms indignantly. "You're not my dad, you're barely eighteen."

"Marcy, I think Dane's right. We shouldn't split up. I don't really trust this place."

"Listen, I've never really had friends before. This is a big deal for me." She gives us both her puppy-eyes. Dane sighs, and it's like his entire resolve crumbles. Marcy notices and beams at him. "I'll be fine. And, if I do need help for whatever reason, I'll come find you," she promises, then links arms with Harley and practically skips off towards the table. The girls at the table greet her with wide smiles and enthusiastic squeals. I glance at Dane, taking note of the worry lines forming between his furrowed eyebrows, and take hold of his hand in one of mine and Bo's smaller hand in the other. Both of the boys look at me; Dane forces a small smile, Bo just stares at me curiously.

I don't know much about this place, but I know Dane's right about one thing; we need to stick together.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

137K 5.3K 34
Dream Γ— Fem!Reader (The Darkest Minds AU) (Complete) === In a post-apocalyptic world where kids who survive a fatal disease are given freak abilities...
69.8K 2K 27
Mags was the face of the reformed children alongside Clancy Gray, though they both knew they were lying. Since being found out and locked up in Caled...
8.6K 135 26
THE DARKEST MINDS AU This is where the kids never got powers and they all live a "normal" life. Your in high school and your 16. You just moved over...
139 3 11
"All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, d...