Chromium

By Crovaxlo

Corporal Dia Zephyr assumed it was just another drill, no more than a Navy tradition, a rite of passage for t... More

Beacon
Chapter 1
Chapter 2.1
Chapter 2.2
Chapter 2.3
3.1
3.2
Author's note
4.1
4.2
4.3
4.4
5.1
5.2
6.1
6.2
7.1
7.2
7.3
8.1
8.2
8.3
8.4
9.1
9.2
10.1
10.2
10.3
10.4
10.5
11.1
11.2
11.3
11.4
11.5
11.6
12.1
12.2
12.3
12.4
12.5
13.0
13.1
13.2
13.3
13.4
13.5
13.6
13.7
14.1
14.2
14.3
14.4
14.5
14.6
15.1
15.2
15.3
Chapter 16.1
Chapter 16.2
Chapter 16.3
Chapter 16.4
Chapter 16.5
Chapter 16.6
Chapter 16.7
Chapter 17.1
Chapter 17.2
Chapter 17.3
Chapter 17.4
Chapter 18.1
Chapter 18.2
Chapter 18.3
Chapter 18.4
Chapter 19.1
Chapter 19.2
Chapter 19.3
Chapter 19.4
Chapter 20
Epilogue

9.3

1.5K 205 13
By Crovaxlo

Unedited/First draft.

"Omen" Reyes said, glaring at him like he wanted to skin him alive. But his face softened when he looked at Dia. "Dia, you look amazing in that dress."

"Thank you" She managed to say, her knuckles whitening as she clenched her fists.

"I must say whoever picked that dress has a great taste."

Dia snorted. Whoever?

Reyes waited for some seconds, maybe expecting her to say something. When she didn't, he turned to look at Omen, and all the warmth was gone, replaced by a frosty expression.

"Suzanne told me you kicked her out, Omen." He said with disapproval.

"Her lack of manners was compromising the mission." Omen replied, as usual very professional and straight to the point. He seemed calm as he bore the brunt of Reyes' anger.

Reyes, on the other hand, blinked quite baffled by his answer. It seemed Suzanne had forgotten to mention why Omen kicked her out in the first place.

"Compromising the mission? How?"

"She was insulting Dia." Omen explained.

Reyes narrowed his eyes.

"Dia?" He whispered. "I didn't realize you two were on a first-name basis, Omen."

"We aren't." Dia hastened to say, but Reyes was still staring at Omen.

"And what did Suzanne say about Dia?" Reyes asked, putting emphasis on her name like he was the only one who could say it.

"Suzanne questioned her virtue." Omen replied, wisely choosing to avoid confrontation altogether.

Well, that's a very roundabout way of saying that she called me a whore.

"Really? Sorry about that." He said to Dia, his tone apologetic. "Suzanne can be a bit blunt sometimes. But I wonder if that's all." Reyes returning to stare at Omen.

"Sorry, captain. I don't understand what you mean." Omen answered, playing dumb like a pro.

"Nevermind. Maybe I was wrong" He said, but the look on his face said otherwise. "Now, I'm sure you took great care of my Dia." He said, and Omen's lips tightened. "But we have something to talk about, Dia and I."

Well aware Reyes was dismissing him, Omen gave him a stiff nod.

"Well then, I leave you to it." He said before heading for the door, but as he passed close to Dia, he stopped.

"Don't lose your temper. No matter what." Omen whispered in her ear and then he was gone.

Reyes scowled when Omen got close to her, but Dia wasn't looking at him at the moment. She smelled something when Omen approached her. 

Tobacco?

It was a strong and lingering smell and Dia was sure she smelled it somewhere before, but she couldn't remember where. She was still thinking about it when Reyes talked.

"I'm sorry about the clothes and...everything else." He said all of a sudden, catching her off guard. "I suppose I should have warned you first."

Dia glared at him.

"You should have." 

"You're right. You're right," He said nodding several times. "but you have to admit they look good on you. Now, you're less like an imperial soldier and more like someone of the Ether system. I like it. Maybe I should buy you an entire wardrobe."

Dia didn't like what he was implying. He was talking like it was sure she would stay here for a long time.

"Maybe something less revealing, but more appropriate for a woman of your status." He continued, and Dia wondered what kind of status he was referring to. "Leather maybe? I think it'll suit you. Would you like it, Squirrel?"

"Reyes" She interrupted him, as he was quickly going off on a tangent. Besides, she didn't like where this conversation was going. "Why didn't you tell me about this charade?"

Reyes looked bewildered.

"But I did. If you recall, I did say you have to act like Katrina."

He seemed confused, so surprised Dia couldn't tell if he was playing dumb or if he became dense all of a sudden.

"I'm talking about Suzanne." She said, trying hard not to scream. "Why didn't you tell me I had to act like her lover?"

Oddly enough it was the thing that angered her less, which spoke volumes about the entire situation.

"Oh, that." He shrugged. "Well, I didn't think it was a big deal."

Dia didn't know what to say. His behavior seemed so irrational she was starting to believe it wasn't entirely an act. Luckily she was feeling calmer after she almost flipped out a few minutes ago.

"Anyway, I'm here to inform you that I spread the rumor that Katrina is looking for Hall."

That got her attention.

"Any answer?"

Reyes shook his head.

"Not yet, but I didn't expect it. Gibson is paranoid, so it'll take some time before he agrees to meet you. That's why I think we have to force his hand a little."

"How?"

"Showing you around." He said, on his face that smile Dia had come to know so well. "Everyone on the planet has to know that Katrina is here. Besides, she is a socialite. She likes parties, and that gives us the perfect excuse."

Dia really didn't want to ask what kind of parties she liked, but she had no choice.

"What kind of parties?"

"Don't worry, I've already prepared something for you at the Dromaton, the fanciest club in the Equalizer's district. Publicly, you'll have a little celebration for your arrival on the planet."

"Wait a second. Are you expecting me to...go clubbing?" The look on her face must have been hilarious because Reyes grinned.

"You've already been here for some days now, but you still haven't seen what the planet has to offer. I plan to remedy that."

Dia looked at him like he had two heads. Is he delusional?

And yet, he seemed completely serious. After everything that happened, he seemed to think it was perfectly normal for her to go clubbing.

"Besides, it's necessary for your cover." Reyes continued. "Suzanne will be with you, of course. Spend some time with her, I don't mind." He said like he was someway entitled to dictate how she spent her time---or with whom.

"Reyes." She spat. "what exactly do you mean with spend some time with her?"

"Nothing much. Drink something, have fun. Maybe dance with her. It would better if you were intimate, but I don't expect..."

Dia shut her eyes and started shaking her head. Her brain was going into overdrive.

"Are you listening to me?" Reyes asked.

"I am." Unfortunately. "And when will this party take place?" She asked, trying to change the subject as quickly as possible.

"Tonight. After all, you don't have much time left." He said softly, almost tenderly. It was a gentle reminder the clock was still ticking, but no matter how he put it, that was a warning.

"Tonight? Did you organize a party like that? In a day?" She didn't bother to hide her surprise.

Maybe she was starting to become a bit paranoid, but it seemed suspicious that less than a day after the Umbra gave the order, Reyes already arranged everything.

"I'm the Umbra's second in command." He reminded her. "I had help."

Of course, you did.

"Who else will be there?"

"All the Umbra's underbosses and most of the city's big shots. Katrina is the woman of a Spice Lord after all. They have to pay their respects." He said like it was the natural order of things.

"What about the Umbra? Will he send someone?"

Reyes looked a bit uncomfortable this time.

"Yes, but it won't be me. I have another...task, so to say." He said, and that slight hesitation made her just more curious about this thing he had to do. "Besides, given our history, it could be hard to pretend we don't know each other."

"And...Omen? Will he come?"

Reyes stiffened.

"He is the chief of your guards. So yes, he will." He said like he was starting to regret he chose Omen for that role. "But don't worry, the mercs I hired are pros. They'll keep you safe." He said like he doubted Omen was able to protect her.

Dia pressed her lips together.

"Why? It's just a party, isn't it? Or do you think Hall will send someone to check on me?"

"Don't worry about it. Just play your part well, and everything will be fine." He replied, his voice soft like silk. "You don't have much time left. I'm calling back the servants." He said, speaking like the lord of a castle, or in this case, the palace. "Try not to scare them this time. The poor hairstylist is terrified by you." He chided, but it was smiling, his eyes beaming like he was very proud of her.

Dia grimaced, feeling a pang of guilt as she recalled what she had done. 

"Reyes" She said when Reyes was about to leave. "This is not a simple party, is it?"

Something flickered in his eyes, a deep emotion usually well hidden beneath his laid-back persona.

"No, Dia it's not." He said at the end. "This is a taste."

Dia blanked out.

"A taste? A taste of what?" She asked, but Reyes' next answer was even more ambiguous than the previous one.

"Of what your life could look like."

"I don't understand." She said, starting to get frustrated.

"The Umbra is Daxum's ruler, but I'm his second in command. His heir, you could say."

"So?"

"The Umbra's interests and concern are different from ours and his plans and motivations hard to understand. Most of the time he doesn't concern himself with something so petty like governing a planet."

"So, what? Are you Daxum real ruler? Is that what you mean?"

Reyes smiled, neither confirming nor denying it. But Dia knew she was right.

"Even if that's true, I still don't understand what this has to do..."

"With you?"

Dia nodded.

"That's why I said that tonight is just a taste. Katrina doesn't have a good reputation, but she is Karniek's woman. She is like royalty in the system. And since you're pretending to be her, the people here will treat you the same way they would treat her. Like a queen. If you'd only accept..."

"Reyes." Dia interrupted him, understanding what he wanted to say. "Even if the situation was different, we can't just pick where we left off like no time passed."

"Why not?" He asked like he was really unable to understand why Dia didn't welcome him back with open arms.

"It was six years ago. Things are different now. We are different."

"Are we?" He said and made a step forward. "I don't think so." And before she knew what he was doing, Reyes started stroking her cheek before running his hands through her hair.

"I love your hair." He whispered to her. "You could be my queen, Dia. All doubts, hesitations, fears, everything would disappear if you just..."

"What about the Umbra?" She asked, her voice a little shaky. "I'm just an investment for him, why should he..."

"Don't worry about him." Reyes interrupted her. "Like I said, I'm his heir. You're important for his plans, but he won't oppose me. He knows how important you are for me." He leaned forward like he wanted to kiss her.

When Dia realized what it was happening, his face was so close she could already feel his hot breath on her forehead. Then she came back to her senses and backed away, out of his reach.

"Reyes I..." She stammered, shaking her head. "I can't."

She looked confused but surprised she was able to refuse him. She had never been able to do that in the past. And she wasn't the only one. Reyes was frowning, his eyes like two slits.

Granted, the old attraction was still there, but it was buried under countless lies. Maybe Reyes realized this because he decided to take a step back.

"You don't have to answer me now, Dia. But think about it." He said turning the handle around and opening the door.

He already had one foot out the door when he turned to look at her.

"Oh, I forgot to mention that the piercer is waiting outside." He said to her. "Call him when you're ready."

He left and Dia gawked. She'd completely forgot about the piercings.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Superior By Daven

Science Fiction

2.9M 102K 57
Delaney Escott lives in a world where popularity reigns supreme. If you want to be noticed, social status is everything. The government is run by the...
Earth, After ✔️ By T

Science Fiction

38.2K 3K 37
Some fates are worse than death--survival is one of them. In the two hundred years since humanity left the Earth's surface to live in the sky, life...
29.4K 1.8K 37
Highest ranking in Science Fiction #169 on 23/04/18 Highest ranking in Matebond: #49 on 11/05/2018 Highest ranking in alien: #1 on 23/07/2019 Rachell...
10.7K 1.1K 19
Mercenary life is rough, especially for the Eagle X team. Wanted by galactic governments and clandestine organizations, eking out a living seems har...