Modification || T. Riddle ||...

By EmilyTheHorcrux

Winner of the 2016 Fanfiction Awards! Things will be different for Estela this year at Hogwarts. Having seen... More

Foreword
Introduction
Chapter 2: The Task
Chapter 3: Tom Riddle
Chapter 4: Midnight Astronomy
Chapter 5: The Girl's Bathroom
Chapter 6: Nightmare
Chapter 7: The Dress
Chapter 8: The Bloodline
Chapter 9: The Halloween Ball
Chapter 10: The Room of Requirement
Chapter 11: The Murder of The Mudblood
Chapter 12: Aragog
Chapter 13: Trust
Chapter 14: Horcrux
Chapter 15: The Heir of Slytherin
Chapter 16: Betrayal
Chapter 17: The Start of Something Spectacular
Chapter 18: Isolation
Chapter 19: Embers
Chapter 20: Little Hangleton
Chapter 21: The Allure of Darkness
Chapter 22: Heirlooms
Chapter 23: Dark Lord and Lady
Chapter 24: Honestly Lying
Chapter 25: The Duel
Chapter 26: Revelations
Chapter 27: Rooms and Relics
Chapter 28: Control Your Emotions
Chapter 29: A Ghostly Past
Chapter 30: Initiation
Chapter 31: Progress and Power
Chapter 32: Patience and Planning
Chapter 33: Home
Chapter 34: Guest Approval
Chapter 35: The Snake and the Eagle
Chapter 36: Distant Domains
Chapter 37: Triumph
Chapter 38: Awareness
Chapter 39: Divulging Desires
Chapter 40: Confronting the Cold
Chapter 41: Future Memories
Chapter 42: An Onslaught of Opals
Chapter 43: A Deceitful Discovery
Chapter 44: A Time for Truth
Chapter 45: The Final Encounter
Chapter 46: Break Me
Chapter 47: The Ensuing Encounter
Chapter 48: The Beginning
The Dawn of Darkness

Chapter 1: Returning to Hogwarts

264K 6.7K 14.3K
By EmilyTheHorcrux

Chapter 1: Returning to Hogwarts

It was September the 1st 1943, and a new school year had just begun at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. The students were filing off of the Hogwarts Express, a buzz of excitement evident in the crisp air, as the faces of thousands of eager looking students looked around in awe.

A voice called out from the darkness, beckoning the first years towards it, where they were then led through an opening in the dense-looking forest towards the Black Lake to take some boats over to the school. The older students had another way of getting to the school, though; the boat ride being a privilege reserved only for the first years. And it was a privilege they would remember for the rest of their lives. Because if there was one thing everyone remembered from their years at Hogwarts; and you could ask any wizard - old or young - it would be the first time they saw that castle growing out of the darkness.

The night sky was clear, and the stars were shining down brightly upon the students tonight - beautiful - like a pile of glistening moon dust that had spilt its way across the sky.

Once the first years had made their way towards the boats, the sound of wheels could be heard gradually making their way towards the rest of the students through the trees. This is how the older students got to the castle: By mysterious carriages led by their own.

A girl with long, dark brown hair sat alone in one of the mysterious carriages as she felt it start to gently pull itself forward. She looked up out of the small window and saw the outline of an enormous building looming in the distance. Her name was Estela, and she was entering her sixth year at Hogwarts School.

She pulled out a book and began to read as the carriage moved along steadily through a path in the trees. And after a few minutes, it seemed to be slowing down, before it came to an abrupt stop outside a very large stone castle. She looked up at the familiar building, its walls lit with burning torches that cast shadows on the floor as they danced in a glowing blaze of orange. She smiled - a fleeting feeling of joy surging through her stomach. She was home.

Surrounded by a sea of other students, she entered the castle and they all made their way to the Great Hall, the crowd a cluster of excited whispers. The Hall was a large and long room with stone walls covered in portraits of men and women who were chatting amongst themselves. Floating candles were scattered around the Hall, and they met in one enormous group above their heads as their flames illuminated the room. The ceiling towered high above them, though there appeared to be no roof at all as it looked exactly like the inky black sky the girl had previously seen. Estela knew this to be a special charm which would make the ceiling identical to the sky outside.

There were four long tables stretching down the Great Hall covered in golden plates and goblets that were currently empty. At the far end of the Hall there was another long table where the teachers sat, and their gazes were set on the incoming students, their expressions warm and welcoming. In the middle of the table was a striking throne-like chair, and seated in this regal chair was a pale skinned man with a thick beard. He was the Headmaster of Hogwarts School, and his name was Armando Dippet.

The students all walked in different directions as they entered the hall and went to sit at a specific table. The tables all had different coloured table cloths, signifying which House was to sit at each table. The furthest to the left was a table with a dark green cloth with silver outlining: Slytherin, next was a dark blue cloth: Ravenclaw,  a red cloth with gold lining for Gryffindor, and last but not least yellow with dark grey lining for Hufflepuff.

Estela went over to the long table with the dark blue cloth, the Ravenclaw table, and sat with the other students as they waited patiently for the first years to arrive and the Sorting Ceremony to begin.

"Estela!" Called a girl with deep hazel eyes, strawberry blonde hair and pale freckled skin who was sitting across from her. Cayra Williams. "How was your summer?"

Cayra began telling Estela all about her holiday to Rome with her family, a few other heads on the Ravenclaw table turning to listen as she told them about all of the amazing things she'd seen. Estela felt a small pang of jealousy in her chest as she described her holiday; the closeness of her family was evident.

Estela wasn't usually a very jealous person, but she had always felt a significant void whenever anyone mentioned their parents. Estela was adopted by a wizarding family after her parents died when she was only four years old. She was very fond of her carers, Grace and William, and she was extremely grateful for their generosity and love over the years, but they would never be able to replace her real parents. She didn't remember them that well - only vague glimpses of their faces and distant echoes of their voices - but perhaps it was just her imagination clinging onto a false memory.

Estela had always been a quiet child and wasn't particularly popular amongst the other children in the orphanage. She was somewhat of an outsider in their eyes, and strange things always happened in her presence - objects would mysteriously move, candles would suddenly extinguish - so the other children generally kept away from her. She was, however, more popular amongst the adults. She was often referred to as "pretty" by the people who visited her in the orphanage. She had fair skin and large blueish grey eyes, and long brown hair that flowed down in natural waves. It didn't take her long to be adopted, and it just so happened that a wizarding family took her in. Some may say it was a coincidence - a stroke of luck - but Estela thought there was more to it than that.

Similar to her days at the orphanage, Estela wasn't that popular at Hogwarts, either. She wasn't an outsider, exactly, she simply found it difficult to connect with people. She tended to focus most of her time on her studies. She was a talented witch and was one of the best in her year. She was, however, very competitive, and there was one thing she hated: She was forced to share being top of her classes with another student. His name was Tom Riddle - a brilliant wizard and everyone knew it. He was very smart and exceptionally gifted in the art of magic. You'd be a fool to deny it. So much so, you could almost feel his magical abilities radiating off of him if you stood too close. It was like a strange yet alluring aura of power that constantly surrounded him.

Most people adored Riddle. After all, he was the epitome of a perfect student. No doubt his charm and his uncanny good looks helped. But at the same time, people were also intimidated by him, maybe even scared. You could tell by the way they caught his eye sometimes - a tiny flicker of fear dancing behind a brave face. And Estela had to admit that there was something quite strange about Riddle, and she could understand peoples' fright. But what unnerved her most was the way the Slytherins acted around him. If the other houses seemed afraid of him, that was nothing in comparison to the members of his own house. They looked at him as though he was some kind of Lord. They admired him. Respected him. They hung onto his every word. It was strange. Estela did think he was charming, yes, but she sensed something else about Riddle too; something deeper lurking behind his charming exterior.

The professors at Hogwarts knew there was a silent rivalry between Tom and Estela to get to the top of their classes, however they had hardly ever spoken. Well, apart from the yearly event in which they were forced to congratulate each other at becoming top of their classes. It would be the same every year: they would both say, "congratulations", shake hands, and smile as a photographer took their picture for the Daily Prophet, after which they would return to their usual way of ignoring one another.

This year Estela had been chosen to become a Prefect for Ravenclaw, giving her extra authority and responsibilities by the Head of House and Headmaster. Estela was delighted to become a Prefect for her house, but was disheartened when she heard that Tom Riddle had also become Prefect for his house, Slytherin. It didn't surprise her, though.

The sound of muffled sobs caught Estela's attention from the Ravenclaw bench, and Cayra followed her gaze to where a small second-year boy with red hair was wiping his eyes on his school robes.

"That's Sam Rowlands," Cayra whispered across the table, noticing Estela's expression. "His father was killed in the Muggle War."

Estela's heart ached as she watched the boy. She was aware of what was happening in the Muggle War, and she knew it was bad. But the Wizarding World was facing a war of their own too - the war against the Dark Wizard Gellert Grindelwald. It was a war that hit close to home for Estela due to William's involvement in the fight. And as she looked out around the Great Hall she saw that many peoples' faces were far drearier than they usually were.

The creaking sound of the large wooden doors to the Hall opening caused all heads to turn towards the first years who were filing in. A look of utter terror was plastered on each of their small faces as they were led to the end of the Hall by a witch carrying a stool and a very old and tattered looking hat, as all of the eyes in the room watched them intently.

The Great Hall fell silent as they marched up the long room, before stopping right before the Head Table. The Headmaster rose from his seat, beaming down at the nervous first years.

"I would like to welcome you all to another wonderful year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry! First years, you will now be sorted into your Houses which is where you will be housed for the rest of your years at Hogwarts," he announced, looking around the Hall enthusiastically.

The witch carrying the hat and stool placed each item down gently, with the hat being seated onto the stool. There was a moment of silence before it started moving, a smile brewing on its fabric face. Some of the first years jumped in alarm at the sight of the hat moving before their eyes.

"Rest assured, rest assured. There is no reason to fear me. What is wrong with a talking hat?" The hat said aloud, smirking at the first years.

Without notice the hat then broke into song, singing about the four Houses, and the four founders of Hogwarts. It explained the qualities of each house, for example how Gryffindor house values courage and bravery. Hufflepuff values hard work, patience, justice and loyalty. Ravenclaw values intelligence, creativity, learning and wit. And lastly Slytherin, who values ambition, cunning, leadership and resourcefulness.

After each first year was sorted into their House, the Headmaster stood once more. "I will not hold you back any longer, I'm sure you're all very hungry after your long journey here. So without further ado, let the feast begin!"

In an instant, the previously empty golden plates and goblets filled with food and drink. Students stared at the feast in awe, their stomachs rumbling, as they contemplated where to begin. As Estela was tucking into her food, a note landed gently on her plate. She looked around, puzzled, to see who could have sent it. Everyone around her seemed to be unaware of what had happened, so she opened the bit of parchment to reveal fancy crimson writing. The note read:

Miss Estela Markorp,

After you have finished refreshing your taste buds, I would ask you to visit me in the Headmaster's office. I have quite an important matter to discuss with you. I will trust you to keep this message between us, as what I wish to discuss with you is a very undisclosed matter, and it is imperative that nobody else should find out.

Sincerely,

Professor Albus P. W. B Dumbledore.

After reading the note she looked up at the Head Table to see that Professor Dumbledore, the transfiguration teacher, was missing.

She wondered what he could possibly want to discuss. She was sure she hadn't done anything wrong. Perhaps it was something to do with her new duties as a Prefect.

Her thoughts were abruptly itterupted when a strange sensation prickled its way over her. It was the kind of feeling you get when you're alone and feel the sensation of someone watching. She looked up slowly, and there, seated at the Slyherin table surrounded by a group of about half a dozen other boys, sat Tom Riddle. He was watching her, his face expressionless. Apparently not everyone had been oblivious to the letter. Their gaze met for a second, his icy blue eyes bright in the candlelight, his pale face set in a cold glare, before Estela looked away swiftly. They were an odd group, she had to admit. There was a strange, almost enviable, dark glamour about Riddle and his gang of friends.

"Who's that from?" asked Cayra, peering curiously at the piece of parchment in Estela's hand.

"It's just a notice for the Prefects." She lied quickly, hoping it would disinterest Cayra, which it apparently did as she nodded and continued with her meal. Taking one last bite of chicken, she headed off without hesitation to the Headmaster's Office.

Author's Notes: I have been planning the story and characters for a while now, and am particularly pleased with Estela's, and her character will be more understandable soon! I hope that most of you reading this have at least a vague understanding of the Harry Potter books or films, as I don't really want to waste time by explaining too many things. This is my first ever fanfiction so I'd be eager to know how I'm doing, so any reviews would be warmly welcomed! Until next time, nox.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.1K 143 77
In year one you were a brave, cunning, dedicated, and smart individual. The hat couldn't decide what house you were in; you were all four. The talk...
114 0 8
Ophelia Greengrass managed to escape the tight grip of one of the most powerful wizards in Eastern Europe who goes by the name of Aleksander Dimitrov...
122K 3.9K 37
"I'm not scared of you." "Is that a challenge?" ---- Tom Riddle was bored. Luckily for him, the last thing Hannah Grey could be called is boring. The...
1.2M 47.5K 41
SECOND BOOK OF THE SEVEN DEVILS. [warnings: eventual smut•death•violence•possibly disturbing scenes•dark magic•religious themes] One year and a half...