Star Wars: Scars

By theBaddestBatch

"The greatest of men are those with a thousand scars. Because great men are forged in the healing of a thousa... More

Copyright
Dramatis Personae
Playlist
Table of Contents
Prologue
| Part 1 - Childhood Bonds |
Part 1 - 1
Part 1 - 2
Part 1 - 3
Part 1 - 4
Part 1 - 5
Part 1 - 6
Part 1 - 7
| Part 2 - Remember the Fallen |
Part 2 - 1
Part 2 -3
Part 2 - 4
Part 2 - 5
Part 2 - 6
Part 2 - 7
Part 2 - 8
Part 2 - 9
Part 2 -10
Part 2 - 11
| Part 3 - Who You Are |
Part 3 - 1
Part 3 - 2
Part 3- 3
Part 3 - 4
Part 3 - 5
Part 3 - 6
Part 3 - 7
Part 3 - 8
Part 3 - 9
Part 3 - 10
Part 3 - 11
Part 3 - 12
| Part 4 - Rebuilding A Family |
Part 4 - 1
Part 4 - 2
Part 4 - 3
Part 4 - 4
Part 4 - 5
Part 4 - 6
Epilogue

Part 2 - 2

329 11 20
By theBaddestBatch

After a week or so of lessons, and many arguments on the part of Haze and Sergeant Dunn, Creed noticed that things seemed to have calmed down to a decent level. Sergeant Dunn still shot nasty looks at Haze whenever he got the chance and Haze shot them right back at him. While it seemed to be the most civil thing the two could do to tolerate each other, Creed was still worried.

He knew that Dunn wasn't here because he was some friend of Jango Fett like most of the others were. He was here because he was an assassin and a very good one at that. A little bit too good at it, considering the fact that he was the one and only assassin the Kaminoan's had asked to train their own elite. Creed couldn't say he as overly fond of Haze working side by side with an assassin that hated him.

It wasn't his choice, though, and while his expressing this concern to Haze had seemed to calm things down, he was still worried. The two men might not be yelling, but when both of them were in the room there was always a tension that hung ominously in the air.

So far it hadn't affected training too much, though, just occasionally resulted in their getting places late because of a heated argument or stare down. For the most part, things were pretty normal, though. Creed had to admit that he felt much better now, though, knowing he wasn't hiding a secret, and knowing Haze was there to defend him. He knew he could defend himself, but it was nice knowing he had someone right there in his corner.

"Dismissed, all of you. Get onto dinner and then get your lazy shebs back here in exactly an hour," Dunn snapped, folding his arms across his chest as he turned from the line of cadets, most of them panting and sweating, still lined up against the wall.

Tired and sore, Creed nodded and mumble to appropriate response with the others before turning to grab his things. He glanced up at Haze who was standing by one of the training mats, looking on with a sour expression. Creed sighed a bit but he picked up his shirt and pulled it back on and grabbed his bag slinging it over his shoulder before walking over to Haze.

"Can you come eat with us?" he asked, looking up at the older clone.

The sour look shifted into a gentle smile as Haze looked down, dropping his hands to his sides and sticking them in his pockets as he relaxed. "Yeah, I can."

Creed nodded and turned, starting for the door and glancing behind him as Haze started after him. He slowed a bit so Haze could catch up as they reached the hall and matched the older clone's pace as they walked.

"So, what did you think of training today?" Haze asked after a moment.

Creed shrugged. "It was tiring," he said simply.

"Just tiring?" Haze asked.

"Yeah," Creed said, nodding.

"Do you have any missions this week?" Haze asked as they turned towards the hall where the mess hall was.

Creed looked up a bit, thinking it over as they walked. "I think I have one at the end of the week," he said. "I'm going out with Zayne and I think Tsunami and 49 have one the same day."

"So y'all commonly pair up?" Haze asked.

Creed looked up at him some, wondering why he was so curious. "Yeah, me and Zayne usually get paired since we work well together and we get along. Tsunami, 49, and 15 used to be a team, but now it's just 49 and Tsunami."

Haze looked down at him, cocking his head a bit and pausing just outside the mess hall. "What happened there?"

Creed glanced inside, his stomach growling but he stayed there to explain. "We don't know for sure, but me and Zayne have a theory. We know that 15 is dead. He died on their last mission and we know that 49 and Tsunami used to be best of buds but they hate each other now. We also know that when they got assigned as a trio, 49 took it upon himself to welcome 15 and those two were becoming pretty good friends. So our theory is that Tsunami got jealous and took the opportune moment to kill 15, make it look like an accident, and get him out of the way. Now we're both pretty sure 49 and Tsunami would kill each other in their sleep," he said.

Creed watched as Haze's curiosity changed to confusion, then a complete look of horror as he related the theory. Of course, it was only a theory, but based on the evidence it seemed pretty likely and it seemed Haze was getting that.

"Is this how it's always been?" he asked after a moment, looking deeply disturbed.

Creed nodded and turned to head into the mess hall. "I told you that Tsunami is dangerous and pretty mean, didn't I?" he asked, not sure if he had ever relayed that information.

"Yeah, you told me, but I thought he was just naturally a fighter. This is...more like psychotic."

"Well, we are assassins. I think it takes a certain level of insanity for that," Creed stated. He didn't really realize the truth of it until after he'd said it and it took a moment for him to process, but once it settled in he found himself mildly disturbed as well.

"Yeah, but you're...you're teens. Creed, the lot of you are only 14," Haze said, setting his hand on Creed's shoulder to stop him before they reached the line.

Creed looked up at him and nodded, swallowing hard a little. "I know," he said quietly and pulled away, slipping into line.

He was aware of Haze stepping into line behind him and he quietly gathered up his tray and went through the line, walking silently over to an empty table to wait for Haze. He glanced around the room, though, picking out the other three cadets from the crowds. Haze was right, they were only teens and already they were acting like psychotic killers. In short, they were murderers.

I don't want to be a murderer...he thought quietly, feeling his stomach sink.

Haze walked over and set down his tray of food before sitting down. "You good?" he asked, looking up at Creed as he picked up his fork.

Creed nodded quietly and broke his gaze away, shuddering a little internally before sitting down. "Yeah, just looking around," he said with a slight smile. Haze returned the smile and Creed felt some ease return.

"Hey, so you have another training session after this till about 8, correct? Then after that, what? All of your schedules change daily, I'm not sure I've got it quite down yet," Haze said.

"We have training review after dinner and then after that is individual practice. The 11 am, 1 pm, and 5 pm training sessions change consistently depending on what new skill we're learning or practicing, but 6 am will always be breakfast, 12 pm lunch, and 6 pm dinner, then 8 pm will always be individual practice and 9 am is always warm-ups/workouts," Creed told him.

Haze nodded, "Thank you. I think I'm allowed to help with individual training. Something you want to go over? You have Form Five down quite nicely, but I noticed you still struggle to parry against the later attacks for it."

Forking another bite of food into his mouth, Creed nodded. "Okay, sounds good to me," he said.

Haze smiled and nodded, then the both of them went back to eating in silence.

Training resumed as normal after dinner and Creed made it through training review without too much trouble and when they were done Haze pulled him aside for the individual practice. The other cadets headed off in their own directions. Tsunami and Zayne both left but 49 dragged out one of the bots to practice sparring with.

Creed has Haze, however, and he picked out a mat, waiting as Haze picked out a sword so the two of them could spar and work on his technique. When Haze finally chose one and walked over, Creed immediately dropped into the ready position. Haze did the same.

"Start with the basic attacks and parries?" Creed asked, waiting for Haze's cue.

"No, let's start in the middle. Head and shoulder attacks and parries. You're pretty good at those already you just need tweaking," Haze said.

Creed nodded and took the charge, lunging forward to take a swing at Haze's head, arcing the blade downward. Haze stepped in and parried it easily, tapping Creed's arm. "Don't lock your elbows," he instructed as he sidestepped and went straight into a turn, bringing his blade back around and aimed for Creed's shoulder.

Creed turned easily on one foot and brought his blade up as he did so, Haze's blade connecting with his for a brief moment before the two retreated a step back into position. Normal sparring would've been far more chaotic and much faster, but since they were working on technique both moved slower so Haze could see and correct as needed without causing Creed to slip up.

Unlike most sparring sessions, Creed had learned that Haze never intended to harm. He'd much sooner lose the sparring match than intentionally harm his opponent. He'd made it clear earlier in the week that his focus was to teach skill and the technique, not bloodlust. That of course had been a highly argued topic, but no agreement ever came of it, the arguments had simply shifted to other topics.

Now reset properly, Creed took the next attack and stepped forward, aiming an upward arc at Haze's head. He was deflected easily, but Haze stepped back afterward.

"Pause a moment. That was far too easy for me to deflect. You need to put more power into it. You are coming from below, but that gives you the advantage because it's easier for your opponent to hold pressure against a downward blow than an upward one, so the more power you put behind it, the more effective the attack," Haze said. He then held his blade out to the side, about the same height as he would hold it to parry the attack. "Swing like you would at my head at my sword, and put power behind it."

Creed reset his position and instead of simply stepping forward, made a lunge for it, twisting his body to put more momentum into the movement, driving the blade upward to clang against Haze's blade. Both blades seemed to tremble as they drew away, and Haze nodded approvingly.

"There, that's better. Just keep in mind that you may not always have room to move as much as you just did, so try practicing your right quarter's techniques some," he said.

Creed nodded and smiled some, starting to reset to his side of the mat when he heard heavy footsteps heading towards them. They were too heavy to belong to any of the other cadets, and Creed already had an idea of who it was before he looked over to see Sergeant Dunn approaching them.

"Teaching again I see. What are we learning now? How to avoid stepping on the animals?" Dunn mocked as he walked up, his arms folded across his chest.

Creed looked over but glanced momentarily up at Haze to see how he would react. The former Alpha simply lowered his blade and stepped up towards the Sergeant, his whole body and posture tensing again as his lips pressed into a thin line and his jaw tightened.

"No. I'm going over the important details of the technique with Cadet Creed because I prefer my students to make it out alive," he snapped.

That effectively wiped the smirk off of Dunn's face and Creed fought not to smile at seeing it for once.

"Only the best deserve to make it out alive. I may teach them the skills, but whether or not they stand before me on their graduation day is their fault, or at least it used to be. Since you seem so interested in making sure they're all trained right, feel free to take the burden of their survival upon yourself," Dunn hissed.

Haze straightened up some, halfway mocking a proud look. "Gladly."

Creed looked up at him and despite the snarky tone, he could see that Haze was dead serious about the matter, and the Sergeant seemed to notice as well.

"Then it's yours," he said with an air of triumph.

Haze shrugged and glanced back at Creed, who looked up at him. Perhaps the argument was already over? Creed partially hoped it was, but he knew not to give into the false hope. And he was right not to do so.

"So what now, are you going to train them all up as well as your pathetic little vod'ika?"

The comment would've been the closest thing to a compliment Creed had ever heard from the Sergeant if the man's voice hadn't been dripping with disgust and hatred.

Creed watched as Haze whipped around, his fist tightening around the hilt of his sword but he kept it at his side. "Don't you ever speak about my little brother like that," Haze snarled, his face contorted with rage.

The Sergeant narrowed his eyes. "He's my cadet and I'm his trainer. Not you, not anyone else. You may consider yourself responsible for him, but you're not in charge of him. He obeys me and only me. I'm the Sergeant here."

Both men stood in silence after that, staring each other down with looks that could kill, and Creed stood back a minute.

"You may be his trainer, but Creed is his own man. He makes his own choices, and unlike the rest of your charges, thinks for himself. You may never see it, but he is the best student you have and will be the best in the end. He is a good kid, a strong kid, and a smart kid. You're simply too blind to see it," Haze retorted after a moment, his tone oddly calm but his eyes sharp with rage.

The Sergeant snarled at that. "I'm not blind at all. If anyone, you're the blind one. Blinded by your devotion to a kid who barely has a chance of surviving. Perhaps you should concern yourself less with everyone else and start watching your own back for once."

The thread hung like a heavy cloud in the air as the two glared at each other before the Sergeant whipped around, stalking off. To anyone watching, the argument might have seemed calm, but Creed could feel the building tension and he knew that of all things had been far from calm. It was a wonder the two men hadn't tried to kill each other right then and there.

Haze turned, his shoulders sagging some as he relaxed a bit again but he tried to plaster a smile on his face as he looked at Creed, appearing somewhat tired. "Sorry about that, lad, shall we get back to training?"

Creed nodded silently. He could tell Haze was doing his best not to take out the stress and frustration on anyone and he appreciated it, but he could tell it was wearing his brother down, and he didn't want Haze to have to put up with this.

"Haze...I know you want to help me, but..."

Creed looked up worriedly, knowing Haze already knew the rest of that thought.

Haze lowered his blade again, nodding. "I have thought about it, but lad, I think this is the best place for me. Maybe if I persist I can make him understand, and if not him, maybe I can at least be a good example. I am a trainer, after all. Maybe not the primary, but I still have an influence," he said.

Creed nodded and watched as Haze settled into the ready position again. Creed copied the stance, but he didn't feel the same energy he had earlier. Instead, he could still feel that heavy threat resting over his head. Even if it wasn't intended for him, he couldn't shake his gut feeling and he simply knew something was coming. Whether it be a fight or a showdown, it was coming and Creed knew no matter what, it wasn't going to end well.

------

Training finished a few hours later and Creed trekked back to the barracks with the others. Haze had left after individual training, and Creed hadn't seen him since but he figured Haze was finding some way to relax or possibly talk to the Kaminoans about something. Half the time he was busy with that kind of stuff, but Creed fully intended to head back there after he got ready for bed.

He'd made it into a bit of a habit, albeit a childish seeming one, to sleep in Haze's room. There was simply something comforting and safe about having his older brother there to hold him and assure him that the nightmares weren't real and that the whole world wasn't evil.

Plus, for Creed, it meant that he didn't have to worry about getting dragged out of bed, beat up, or a number of other things. He much preferred to endure the mocking than the varieties of abuse he'd taken over the years. Their words hurt, but they were easier to shake off than broken bones and bruises.

Dressing for bed and putting up his stuff, Creed pulled his boots back on along with his jacket, since the halls of Kamino seemed to always be perpetually cold, and he slipped out while the others were still talking. He caught sight of them turning some as he headed for the door and heard Tsunami snickering about him behind his back but he blocked out the insults and headed right out of the room, walking briskly down the hall to Haze's room.

Since it was late and Haze typically followed a pretty strict nighttime schedule, Creed knew he could come on in without knocking, so he slipped into the room quietly, finding the lights were already off the place was pitch black.

He must've been really exhausted if he's already asleep without me, Creed thought, remembering the tired look he'd seen from Haze earlier. It made sense. Stress always seems to tire the older man out, so Creed resolved to attempt finding his way around in the dark.

He touched the wall, placing his hand against it firmly as he tried to let his eyes adjust. Even so, there was no light source from anywhere so all he could make out was a couple of vague blobs of darker shadows that could really be anything, but he managed to see a larger blob than the others and assumed that was the bed. It was in the proper spot as well, so Creed let go of the wall and fumbled his way towards it.

He was a little unsure without any sort of guide and without being able to really see his own hand in front of his face. He felt his foot collide with something and stumbled but the object, probably Haze's helmet, rolled to the side and Creed regained his balance, finding the edge of the bed after a moment. He tried to feel around for Haze, but he couldn't seem to find the older man and wondered for a moment where he was. Had Haze gone to get him or had he not come back yet? Creed had assumed he was already asleep but if he'd left to talk to the Kaminoan's, he might not be back yet.

Either way, Creed was getting nowhere in the dark and whether Haze was there or not--not now seeming the more likely option--Creed assumed it was safe to turn the lights on.

He staggered his way back towards the wall, still stumbling and unsure, but he made it and felt around until his hands found the light switch and he tapped it.

The room flooded with light, momentarily blinding him as he turned around to see what was where and let his eyes adjust again. For a moment everything was a haze of white and he couldn't make out much, so he blinked a few times and the room came into view, along with everything in it.

Creed froze.

His eyes were fixed on the "object" he'd accidentally kicked across the floor earlier. An object that wasn't a helmet as he'd assumed, but rather a head.

Creed felt himself go completely pale as his eyes fell on the decapitated head, lying not more than three feet from him where he'd accidentally stumbled over it. He felt a sick feeling wash over his whole body as he recognized the face.

A face and head that belonged to none other than Haze.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

172 2 4
- Y/n, an ex-Sith become Jedi, and Rex, a Captain in the Grand Army of the Republic. How can a relationship like theirs work? Yet alone work on the b...
970 74 25
The Dar'Aliit have no family, and no clan. Clone trooper Kian remembers what it was like to have those things, but like the Dar'Aliit, they are now h...
1.1K 34 9
During the battle on Christophsis, Anakin senses a strange surge in the Dark Side, and feels a Sith reaching out to him through a Force bond that sho...
10.4K 687 30
Ten years before the Battle of Genosis, the Kaminoans created the first batch of clones. Two years before the Battle of Genosis, those clones were te...