The Betrayal

By beautifullybrutal

"Light up my darkness," he murmured against her bare flesh. His fingers trailed up her arm, leaving a blazing... More

Preview
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Seventeen Part II
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six
Chapter Forty-Seven
Chapter Forty-Eight
Chapter Forty-Nine

Chapter Thirty-One

127K 4.8K 1.6K
By beautifullybrutal

"No. She left the pack when he kicked her out of the pack house. Volunteering to become rogue. Damon didn't count her as a member of the pack anymore because she isn't one," the spy said.

My heart relaxed. Damon wasn't in on this. I didn't think he was, but I just needed to make sure.

"Why weren't we informed of this then?" Valerio asked. His nostrils flaring. His patience was extremely thin.

"My mission was to watch Damon's pack and she wasn't in Damon's pack."

"No, your mission was to watch Damon's pack and keep an eye on him, Samuel, and Alexandra. If she wasn't there anymore you should've told us. You're required to tell us everything you know," Valerio said, letting out a growl.

I rubbed my hands onto my face and walked towards the window, looking out at the deep night sky as Valerio scolded the man. We've spent all day trying to uncover the missing pups, yet it felt like we got nowhere. All we knew was Samuel and Alexandra were working together and taking the pups. That the divine female was leading the Challengers and that if we find Alexandra she will be close behind.

But, where were they? Where could they be?

My lids became heavy, wanting to fall asleep. I've been up for so long. I didn't sleep at all last night. Yet, I forced them opened. No. I needed to stay awake. I couldn't be sleeping during a time like this.

This was the closest we've become to finding the Challengers and their leader.

"LEAVE!" Valerio screamed at the man. I glanced over watching Valerio hold the spy by the back of the shirt and throwing him out of the room, slamming the door.

"Valerio, screaming and freaking out isn't going to help the situation," I find myself repeating. Despite the situation, a small smile appeared on my face. Him and Damon were too much alike.

"He isn't doing the job I've assigned him to do and now we're here in this situation. I can be angry."

And, I let it sink in. He did deserve to be angry. So, did Damon. So, did I. Being angry wasn't going to help anything, but it could give us motivation; it could give us perseverance; it could give us an advantage. But, if not used properly, it could destroy us.

"Do you think it was Alexandra who took those other pups from the other packs? One of them did say that they saw a female taking them out," Valerio asked.

"I don't know. I don't think so though. How would a rogue cross pack borders without being noticed? I don't think alphas particularly like rogues," I said.

He nodded his head, his gaze distant as if he was thinking.

"It was probably the leader of this clan. The Divine. We should go see if Damon has found anything else out. Maybe, while we're there I can try to contact Aeron to see if he knows anything about this Divine," I said, walking to the front door. "Come with me."

He rubbed his face with his hand. He held out his hand and I grasped it, closing my eyes and imagining Damon's training area. When I landed on my feet, we were on Damon's platforms. In the distance, I saw some warrior wolves running through the woods, but I brushed past them, heading straight for the pack house.

I glanced up at the dark night sky, my eyes gazing at the stars, hoping Aeron would come down at least for a moment. Just as we approached the end of the woods before the pack house, Aeron appeared in front of me, making me run into him.

I bumped into his chest with a thud, his stars lighting up under my fingers. He wrapped his arms around me, trying to steady my tired and aching body.

"My Radiance. You called?"

I pulled away from him, nodding my head. "Do you know anything about other Divines? A woman in particular?" I asked.

He sucked in a breath, his eyes widened slightly. He gulped, but then nodded his head. "Why?"

"We believe she is the leader of the Challengers."

He clenched his jaw. "She's dangerous."

"Have you met her before?" I asked, walking ahead.

Reluctantly, he nodded his head. "Once when I was with your mother. She threatened your mother."

"And, my mother did nothing about it? Did she know that she was the leader of the Challengers?"

His head tilted to the side. "She had her suspicions. Your mother was pregnant with you. I wouldn't let her leave my side. I should've just let her kill her then and there, but I feared for her safety."

"Did she try to attack my mother?"

He shook his head. "No."

I glanced at Valerio who was in deep thought next to me. "Why wouldn't she attack my mother if she wanted her dead?"

Aeron put a hand on my shoulder as we approached the pack house. "I'm not sure. I was wondering the same thing."

A growl rumbled from in front of us and suddenly someone grabbed my wrist, pulling me away from Aeron. Damon pulled me to his side, wrapping his arm around my shoulder. His eyes trained intently on Aeron, who raised a brow at Damon.

I glanced between the two men, my heart racing. I didn't need this right now. I had too many problems to worry about. I couldn't deal with them being angry at each other either. I placed a hand on Damon's stomach, trying to calm him.

His body relaxed under my touch, yet his eyes remained on Aeron.

My gaze drifted behind him to the pack house where there were at least ten guards securing the pack house. All of the lights were on. I could only imagine how many pups were insides with their families.

"Is that all you know Aeron?" I asked. He nodded his head, cutting the glare at Damon, and I sighed.

"I'll look into it for you. I know you have too much to worry about right now. Leave it to me, My Radiance."

Again, Damon growled, earning a smirk from Aeron. "Oh, pup. Don't you be growling at me. I'm just talking to my light, my other half."

I gripped onto Damon's muscles trying to hold him back, yet his muscles flexed against his shirt. "She's mine."

"Yet, she lays against my darkness every night," Aeron said with a tilt to his head.

Damon pulled out of my grip, lunging at Aeron, but I caught him just in time. His jaw was clenched, his eyes blazing.

"Aeron! Stop," I demanded. "Please."

A smile replaced his cocky smirk. "Anything for you, My Radiance. I'm sincerely sorry for offending you." He turned to Damon for a quick moment, without an ounce of sympathy.

"Damon, do you know where Alexandra is?" I asked.

He relaxed slightly, taking a few deep breaths. "No. I haven't seen her for weeks. She's a rogue now."

"She's working with Samuel," Valerio said.

His eyes widened. "But... but they hate each other."

I watched Valeiro nod his head, yet his frame blurred for a moment. "Yeah... after.... that's what we're thinking," Valerio continued, yet my eyes were drifting off into the woods. My brain was half dozing off, half being beaten with racing thoughts. My lids became heavy.

Where could they be? Why would they work together?

"Mae?" someone said my voice.

I closed my eyes for a brief moment, then shook my head and reopened them, glancing around at the men before me.

"Sorry... what were you saying?" I asked.

Aeron furrowed his brows at me. "Why don't you go rest?"

"No... not until we find the pups," I said.

Damon pursed his lips. "You should really sleep, Kitten. The longer you stay up, the more delirious you'll become and then you'll be weak and vulnerable." He leaned down, so his lips brushed my ear. I think it was more to make his claim on me then it was to send shivers down my back, but either way, I think he succeeded. "You need to be the strong woman you've showed me you are."

I glanced at Valerio who shook his head. "I think we all need a little bit of sleep. We can regroup tomorrow."

After everyone agreed that tomorrow morning would be the best time to rethink our plans, Aeron disappeared into thin air and Valerio ran back into the trees. I turned to Damon, leaning onto his shoulder. He gave me a small smile, picking me up bridal style and bringing me to his bedroom.

He plopped me onto the bed and then stripped his shirt, laying down next to me. I curled up into his chest.

"I don't like the Night God, Mae," Damon said, resting his chin on my head.

"He was just trying to get you angry."

"And, why do you think that is?"

I shrugged my shoulders.

"Because he likes you," he said. I rolled my eyes and sat up so I was facing him.

"He might... but, I like you. I love you. The only man I'd lay next to at night is you."

The corners of his lips tugged up. I leaned in placing a kiss on his lips. Leaning my forehead against his, I sighed. Yet, my mind was off on its own; in its own world of torture.

Why was this happening? Who was the Divine? And, why was she angry at me? Why did she want me to die? What would happen to the pups? Would they die again? Would we be too late this time?

I wasn't sure of any of my thoughts.

A tear slipped out of my eye and raced down my cheek. Soon, my whole body was heaving up and down, despite my best effort to stop my tears.

"Kitten... why are you crying?" Damon asked, pulling me away to brush off the tears from my cheeks.

"Why would he do this? Why would he take those pups?" I cried. "Why would anyone drain pups?" I cried some more. "What if we don't find them? What am I going to do?"

He pulled me to his chest and I listened to the light beat of his heart. "It's going to be okay. We'll find him. We'll find them. And, when we do I'm going to beat his fucking ass."

A/N

You asked for Aeron <3 How'd you like him in this chapter? More of him to come soon!

Who is this other Divine?

Sammy is still gone with the pups :( 

Damon didn't betray Mae! Thoughts?

Excited for next chapter!

What made you happy this week?

Warmly, Destiny <3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.1M 41.4K 49
Liam was actually excited to find his mate. It would be nice to have someone to help him with pack business. Keeping the borders safe and punishing r...
82.3K 2.2K 21
I grabbed her arm for support and I swore her skin on mine was getting me high. I understood what was happening with me. I spun her around and pulle...
10.4K 275 46
Evelyn has everything. She is strong, independent, beautiful and a soon to be alpha. Everyone she comes across either wants to be with her or wants t...
1.4M 65.7K 71
Book 3 of The Marking Trilogy "Tell me you're still there, Love," she whispered, fingers brushing against his mark. Mae didn't know if he could under...