𝐁𝐞𝐧𝐞𝐚𝐭𝐡 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐒𝐮𝐫�...

By Iyanuoluwa-Temi

A Nigerian Teen-Fiction. Zaria Coker had every reason to be called perfect; Straight As, awesome friends, and... More

Authors Note
Meeting the Characters
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35

Chapter 19

3.2K 721 169
By Iyanuoluwa-Temi

Joel's POV

During lunch, looking at Zaria, it was very obvious she wasn't okay. I asked her severally if she was and her words were "I'll be fine" . Lyla came to stay with her in class sometime in the morning but left later because of a class or two that held. Now we were all seated in the cafeteria eating snacks.

She was withdrawn. When we tried to make her speak, she say few words and go back to trying to eat. Out of three galas she bought, she has only take half of one. She loosened her bun and her long hair fell freely over her face and down her shoulder and I had the urge to run my fingers through her locks.

We were still talking when she suddenly covered her mouth.

"Are you alright?" I asked her.

She didn't reply as she dashed off the table and ran out. It didn't take me a second before I ran out with her, Lyla following behind. We saw her outside, on her knees, throwing up. I rushed behind her and held her hair up with one hand and rubbed her back with the other.

"Lyla, get a cup of water" I told her and she went ahead. Zaria kept puking her guts out. The guys came out soon after with Lyla who had gone to bring water and Charles rushed to my side.

"What happened? Is she alright?" He asked frantically and I sensed worry and concern in his voice. I pushed down my jealousy and shook my head.

"You know she has not been herself this morning. She just dashed out here and began to throw up. I think it's a flu." I replied him. He collected the cup of water and from Lyla and helped Zaria to rinse her mouth and face.

"Why are all of you now hovering around her?" Ada's voiced pierced through the air and everyone turned to look at her with a shocked expression.

"Ada!" Lyla chided.

"I'm just saying y'all should give her some space. Like, give her a breather. You are chocking her up like that." She replied but I knew for sure that's not what she meant earlier. Lyla and Charles did too.

"Let's just get Zaria to the health care." Charles said and I nodded. When we were done cleaning her up, I helped her to stand. She seemed unstable and wanted to fall but I held her.

"I've got you." I whispered as I carried her shivering body to the health center so that she could be attended to. Charles and Lyla followed behind me.

*****

School had already closed but Lyla, Charles and I decided to stay back. Ada just decided to stay under obligation, I could see it in her eyes that she wanted to be anywhere but here. She tried speaking to me but I told her plainly that I wasn't in the mood. Charles being my buddy got the unsent memo and engaged her in a conversation to distract her from me.

The matron had called Zaria's parents earlier today and told them to come and pick her, though they haven't shown up yet. I excused myself and went into the ward. I stayed by the door and watched Zaria sleep, her breathing coming out in rhythms. I felt a presence beside me and looked to see Charles. We didn't say anything to each other.

Just watching Zaria.

"You really like her." He broke the silence with that. I shot my face at him, trying to read his expression. His face was indifferent, like his was just saying something normal.

"Charles, I don't..." I began but his chuckle cut me off.

"I've seen the way you look at her, Joel. You like her. Probably more than I've ever liked her." There was an hint of hurt in tone and I felt bad.

"I'm sorry Charles. It just happened." That was lame but that was all I could come up with.

"It's normal." He stated. I looked at him. "Every guy has felt something for Zaria. Yours just seems to be the strongest. That, and she warmed up to you faster than any of us." He added.

"I'm not going to act on the feelings, Charles." I told him and he shot me a look.

"Are you mad? Why would you not want to do that?!" He exclaimed incredulously.

"You like her. We can't like the same girl. You have known her way longer than I have. It's basically against the bro code." I told him and he scoffed.

"Fück the bro code. Zaria and I were never going to happen. She likes you. It's very obvious and I'd be a bad friend not to support you." He stated matter-of-factly. I looked at him like he had grown horns.

"Charles, I'd be a bad friend if I do this to you. You've liked her before me..." I said.

"But she likes you, not me." He interjected. I shook my head.

"Charles." He chuckled and patted my shoulder.

"It's okay. I'm pained sha, but we what, we meuvv." He joked and I laughed, pulling him into a hug.

"Thank you." I told him, in all sincerity. He nodded and gave me Zaria's things.

"I made sure the girls left. You can stay with her. I'm going home now." He told me and I nodded. "One more thing..." He mentioned and I looked at him.

"Try not to let Ada know about your feelings." He stated and I nodded again. He smiled and walked out of the ward.

It's rare to find a friend like Charles. If you do, keep him closely.

*****

"Hey." I smiled at her. She smiled back weakly. I had gone to use the toilet only to come back to see her awake.

Few strands of her hair clung to her damp face. Her face lost some colour and it looked pale. To be honest I loved her pale look. She looked way more beautiful with it. My eyes flickered to her lips and I noticed it was pale and swollen... And inviting.

"You didn't have to stay you know." Her face snapped me put of my thoughts. I smiled at her. She made to sit up so I helped her.

"I want to stay with you. I can't just leave you on your own, you would be bored." I smirked. She chuckled slightly. "Plus, I didn't get to spend anytime with you today. This is me making up for it." I said.

"Still very corny, are we." She teased and I chuckled.

As if they had a mind of it's own, my fingers moved to her face and removed the strands of hair that had fallen on it. They moved to rest on her cheeks and I used my thumb to caress, not breaking eye contact. She looked away shyly.

"I must look a sight." She chuckled.

"On the contrary," I trailed off, moving my hand to rest on her chin, "you really have no idea how beautiful you look." I whispered, looking into her eyes. She smiled and leaned into my touch.

I decide to test my limit. I moved closer to her and picked her finger. I brought them close to my lips and began to kiss them one after the other, not breaking eye contact. A satisfied sigh left her lips as she watched me intently.

"If you keep doing that, I won't let you go home on time." She said, her voice hushed.

"I am not planning to leave you anytime soon." I replied in the same tone. She chuckled. I wanted to hold her so bad. So I asked. "Can I hold you, please." I searched her eyes. She nodded, unable to get words out of her mouth.

I smiled as I leaned in and pulled her to me, holding her as tight as I could. Her hands went around my waist and I smiled. I stroked her hair and went ahead to kiss the top of her head. She nuzzled tighter against me and buried her head in my chest. A satisfied sigh escaped my lips.

I don't know how long we stayed like that but I am guessing a pretty long time

"Aheem!" Someone rudely interrupted us. We broke apart and we looked, just to see Sam standing by the door, glaring daggers at me.

"What are you doing here?" Zaria asked.

"Your parents asked me to get you so, get your bags and let's go." Sam snapped.

What's doing this one?

"Dude, chill. She isn't feeling well. Take it easy on her." I said calmly as I helped Zaria with her things.

"Hey! I didn't ask for your opinion! Whatever happens between me and my niece isn't your business. Zaria, go to the car." He glared.

"Sam!!" Zaria snapped.

"Are you deaf?!" He looked at her scornfully.

"Hey, don't raise your voice at her! You have no right to talk to her that way!" I snapped at Sam, getting pissed off.

"Zaria, I won't repeat myself!" He gave her a warning look. Zaria looked at me apologetically and left. I made to follow her but Sam pushed me back.

"What the hell!" I was already angry. I was almost the same height with him but he was more built than I was.

"I don't know who you're trying to for Superman for." Sam chuckled. I didn't smile. I looked him in the eye, unfazed. "Now let me warn you. I don't want to see you with Zaria, ever. Do you understand!" He gave a deadly look which I returned with one of mine.

"It seems I have been too nice. You have absolutely no right to tell me that bullshit! You are not her father and I don't take instructions from over protective uncles who only has faith in their overgrown muscles." I glared.

"On the contrary, boy. I am something much more. Last warning. Stay away from her. She is mine." He said with a tone of finality and walked out.

Wait? What?!

*****

For weeks, the words of Sam rang in my brain.

She is mine?

What did he mean by that statement?

Is there something I don't know?

Is there anything between...

No! Of course not. She's his niece for Christ sake.

What's going on?

I didn't ask her about it though. The last thing I want is for her to think I am meddling in her business. I cared a great deal about her and I was really concerned. Maybe I should ask Lyla. Though it's none of my business, but something tells me Zaria isn't safe.

I saw Lyla seated in her class, reading. I walked up to her.

"Hey Lyla. You busy?" I asked absentmindedly. She raised her head up from the book and scowled at me.

"No. I just decided to read for fun." She said sarcastically.

"Seriously?" I asked.

"No, stupid!" She smacked my hand. I chuckled nervously as I rubbed my arm. Her hits her as painful as hell.

"Sorry. I am not in the right start of mind right now." I told her, pulling out a chair and sitting down.

"What's wrong?" She asked. "Wait! Don't tell me. It's about Zaria, abi? "She asked, folding her hand.

"Yes." I replied.

"What did she do this time?" She asked.

"She didn't do anything, Lyla. We are fine. I am just... I am really worried about her." I said.

"What's going on?" Lyla asked, her forehead creased.

"I am going to ask you a few question and I want you to confide in me, Lyla. Don't lie to me. Can you promise me that?" I asked her.

"Sure. If it's about Zaria, I can tell you anything. As long as it's for her safety." She replied and I was happy. I hope she knows something because of she doesn't then I can't do anything. But since she is Zaria's best friend, she would know something.

"Thank you." I said. "What do you think is between Sam and Zaria?" I asked. Lyla raised her eyebrow.

"Sam is Zaria's uncle." She replied in a dhur tone.

"I know that, Lyla. What was their relationship before now?" I asked.

"Sam and Zaria used to be very close and I mean when we were still very young. Suddenly, they began to drift apart. She said she will never be close to him again. I don't know what happened but that's how far I know." Lyla shrugged.

"So they used to be close, uhn. " I stroked my chin. I couldn't help but think that there was more to this story that even Lyla doesn't know.

Keep a positive mind. My subconscious told me.

"What do you want to make out of this?" Lyla asked, looking at me skeptically and snapping me out of my thoughts.

"Nothing. Nothing at all. " I told her with a reassuring smile. "Thanks for your time and please don't let Zaria know our discussion today."

"Don't worry. I'm good at keeping secrets." She replied with a smile. I stood up and walked away,

My mind plagued with thoughts.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

73.8K 16K 31
Tiana Dakoba isn't who everyone thought she was. To everyone, the mere sight of her oozed confidence and pride. She was the "It" girl. But no one kne...
1.3K 257 22
Book 1 Of The Keisha Series Tagged No Companion. I had gotten close to the guys in the class, Nick, Beatrice and Lara were my constant companions too...
178K 34.5K 50
****A Wattpad Featured Novel**** • • • (Book one) Many of us, have read lots of books and watched lots of movies, abo...
1.2K 313 22
Problems of a teenage girl become far worse than zits or a perfect appearance when she experiences a tragic event at a very young age, which scars he...