Just Play Along

By JessRego_JLS

The statement tends to go “Three Strikes and You’re Out.” Little did I know that for me, it was three strikes... More

Prologue
Chapter 1 - One & Two
Three & Four
Five & Six
Seven & Eight
Nine & Ten
Eleven & Twelve
Thirteen & Fourteen
Fifteen & Sixteen
Seventeen & Eighteen
Nineteen & Twenty
Twenty-One & Twenty-Two
Twenty-Three & Twenty-Four
Twenty-Five & Twenty-Six
Twenty-Seven & Twenty-Eight
Twenty-Nine & Thirty
Thirty-One & Thirty-Two
Chapter 2 - Thirty-Three & Thirty-Four
Thirty-Five & Thirty-Six
Thirty-Seven & Thirty-Eight
Thirty-Nine & Forty
Forty-One & Forty-Two
Forty-Three & Forty-Four
Forty-Five & Forty-Six
Forty-Seven & Forty-Eight
Chapter 3 - Forty Nine & Fifty
Fifty-One & Fifty-Two
Fifty Three & Fifty Four
Fifty-Five & Fifty-Six
Fifty-Seven & Fifty-Eight
Fifty-Nine & Sixty
Sixty-One & Sixty-Two
Sixty-Three & Sixty-Four
Sixty-Five & Sixty-Six
Sixty-Seven & Sixty-Eight
Sixty-Nine & Seventy
Chapter 4 - Seventy-One & Seventy-Two
Seventy-Three & Seventy-Four
Seventy-Five & Seventy-Six
Seventy-Seven & Seventy-Eight
Seventy-Nine & Eighty
Eighty-One & Eighty-Two
Eighty-Three & Eighty-Four
Eighty-Five & Eighty-Six
Eighty-Seven & Eighty-Eight
Eighty-Nine & Ninety
Ninety-One & Ninety-Two
Chapter 5 - Ninety-Three & Ninety-Four
Ninety-Five & Ninety-Six
Ninety-Seven & Ninety-Eight
Ninety-Nine & One Hundred
One Hundred One & One Hundred Two
One Hundred Three & One Hundred Four
One Hundred Five & One Hundred Six
One Hundred Seven & One Hundred Eight
One Hundred Nine & One Hundred Ten
One Hundred Thirteen & One Hundred Fourteen
One Hundred Fifteen & One Hundred Sixteen
One Hundred Seventeen & One Hundred Eighteen
One Hundred Nineteen & One Hundred Twenty
One Hundred Twenty-One & One Hundred Twenty-Two
One Hundred Twenty-Three & One Hundred Twenty-Four
One Hundred Twenty-Five & One Hundred Twenty-Six
One Hundred Twenty-Seven & One Hundred Twenty-Eight
One Hundred Twenty-Nine & One Hundred Thirty
Epilogue

One Hundred Eleven & One Hundred Twelve

3.3K 96 1
By JessRego_JLS

PART ONE HUNDRED ELEVEN

*Jess’ POV*

“I couldn’t wait any longer,” Aston started, his eyes twinkling from the fairy lights as a small smile played on his lips.

“I knew you were up to something!” I smiled.

“Caught me,” he grinned, “But I caught you too, because you definitely weren’t expecting this.”

“No, I thought it would be at the spa.”

Aston grinned at me as I said this, clearly pleased to have at least sort of surprised me; the spa thing was probably an intentional wind up. “You want me to do this now?”

“Well… we’re here.”

He smiled gently as his fingers played with my own for a second. My heart was racing out of control, my vision going slightly blurry as the anxiety of the moment arrived.

I watched on as Aston dropped down on one knee, slowly pulling a small velvet box out of his pocket. It was almost torturous how slow he was going, I wasn’t sure if it was because I was living the moment in slow motion or if it was because he was doing it on purpose.

“Jessica Rego,” he said slowly, “I’m not gonna lie, when I first met you three and a half years ago… I did not think we’d end up together. At all.”

“No,” I whispered with a giggle.

“We were polar opposites and we were first only together because it made our lives just that little bit easier. No feelings.”

“Zero.”

“But oh how things changed,” Aston grinned. I could feel the tears threatening to fall, he was so right. “I think we’ve brought out the best and the worst in each other over the last few years. Questioning each others faults and figuring out a way to fix the bad to make it good.”

I nodded my head as he said all this, taking a deep breath. He knew what he was saying, about how I’d been so adamant to never fall in love. And about how he didn’t want to be tied down. Just look where we were now.

“We were the best possible thing to happen to each other,” Aston said quietly, “And I want the world to know just how important you are to me. I can’t let you go, ever. I love you more than I ever thought possible.”

“Me too,” I smiled, the tears falling freely now.

“Jessica Rego,” Aston said with the most heart-melting smile I’d ever seen, “Will you marry me?”

I watched as he flicked the black velvet box open and held the ring for me to see.

Without even glancing at it I began to nod my head quickly, willing my voice to work. “Yes,” I croaked out. “Yes, I’ll marry you.”

I heard Aston sigh a huge breath of relief, and then he jumped up from his kneeled position and wrapped me in his arms. Quickly I wrapped my arms around his neck and buried my head into his shoulder as I burst into tears.

“Aww babe,” Aston soothed, his hand stroking down my back.

“I love you so much,” I cried, pulling away so I could look into his eyes. “I never ever ever thought I would get here, but you bring out the soppy, romantic side of me like no one else ever could.”

With a faint smile, Aston released me with one hand and brought it to my cheek, pulling me in for a scorching kiss. I could feel my senses explode at his touch, my heart literally melting.

“Let me slide this on your finger,” Aston whispered after he’d pulled away, the ring box still in his hand. I released my left hand from around his neck as he took the ring from its cushion. Gently Aston took my hand in his own and slid the ring up the appropriate finger, pulling my hand to his lips so he could kiss the ring gently.

Wiping away my tears I looked down at the ring, my breath catching in my throat. It was classical and perfect, exactly what I’d have picked out for myself. And to think he’d been hiding it from me for almost a year!

“This is so gorgeous,” I sighed, staring at my ring as it glittered from the fairy lights.

“I’m glad you like it,” Aston whispered, kissing me again.

“I can’t believe this is happening,” I told him, my arms going back around his neck. I couldn’t help but angle my left hand so I could still see my ring. I was just in shock that I’d come this far with him. With anyone.

“You better believe it babe,” Aston replied, “It’s you and me. In it for the long run. I want it all with you.”

I stared in his eyes as he said that, knowing there were things that he probably wanted that I wasn’t sure I could give him. I hated doubting our relationship, but sometimes I couldn’t help it.

“Don’t frown,” Aston whispered.

“I just don’t know if I can give you it all.”

Aston let out a deep sigh as I said this, and then he released me, grabbing hold of my hand and dragging me into the house where he sat me on our bed. He wandered off for a minute after that, blowing out the candles that were out on the terrace and flicking off the fairy lights. I was so sure that I’d upset him, that I’d ruined everything. So much so that I burst into tears again.

“Hey, don’t cry,” he whispered when he finally came to sit next to me, his arm wrapping around my back.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to ruin everything,” I sobbed, “You can have it back.”

“Have what back?”

“The ring.”

“Why would I have it back?” he asked, panic across his face. “You aren’t changing your mind are you?”

“NO!” I said, “I thought you were.”

“Never,” Aston said, “I was just bringing you in here to sit you down and tell you that you’re crazy.”

“I’m crazy?” I asked, incredibly confused.

“Saying you aren’t sure if you can give me everything. Jess, you’ve given me everything I’ve ever wanted. And more.”

“I haven’t,” I sighed, “I’ve always been the one dragging my feet.”

“But you always come around in the end,” Aston said quietly, his fingers twisting around the ring on my hand. “I know where your head is,” he said after a long moment.

“You do?”

“I know you better than you know yourself, remember?” he said with a slight laugh on his voice.

“What’s on my mind then?” I challenged.

“Babe…” Aston said. Clearly he did not want to have this conversation right after proposing to me. What sort of disaster was I for making him do this?

“Say it,” I prompted.

“You’re freaking out that I’m thinking of our future, having a family and that,” Aston rattled off, his face slightly downfallen.

I stared at him, of course he was right on the money. He did know me better than I knew myself.

“Jessica, don’t even worry about any of that right now. If it happens it happens, and if not, that’s fine.”

“You don’t sound so convincing,” I mumbled.

“I know how you feel about all of that,” Aston said, “I’d never push you to do something you didn’t want. Ever.”

“But what about if you want it? Isn’t it mean that I’m not giving it to you? Pushing you in the other direction?”

“Just… Let’s worry about this another time. Put a year or more on it. Things will fall into place how they’re meant to, I promise.”

I stared at him for a minute, the sincerity in his eyes melting my heart. He was far too good for me, always letting me be the crazy controlling one.

“Pinky promise?” I asked him.

“Most definitely,” he replied, holding his pinky out for me to wrap mine around.

“I’m sorry I’m crazy sometimes. I love you,” I whispered as I pulled my finger away.

“Love you more,” Aston said.

“So we’ve got a wedding to plan…” I said slowly, staring down at my ring again.

“Let’s not worry about that tonight,” Aston husked in my ear, “Let’s just worry about celebrating us.”

I grinned at Aston pulling him towards me by the collar of his shirt and falling back on the bed, enamored with my new fiancée.

PART ONE HUNDRED TWELVE

*Jess’ POV*

“Are you going to wear that to work?” Aston asked me as we lay in bed, the alarm clock having been pushed to the floor so we could get a few more minutes together before it was back to work for the pair of us.

“Can I?” I replied, staring down at my ring again. I couldn’t stop. And I definitely did not want to take it off.

“You don’t really get papped these days do you?”

“No,” I said with a shake of the head, “I don’t think they know where the campaign office is.”

“Well then that’s fine,” Aston replied, “I just want to make sure we tell everyone that needs to know before it gets leaked.”

“Oh god,” I sighed, smacking my forehead lightly and sitting up, “We should have called my parents last night. If I stroll into work with this on and my Dad’s there…”

“Don’t worry,” Aston grinned.

“What?”

“I called your parents yesterday.”

“When you went to the hotel room by yourself!” I declared, smacking him on the chest, “I so knew you were up to something!”

“I mean, I’d spoken to them about it before,” Aston said with a shrug, “And Freddy obviously.”

“You told him too then.”

“Yup.”

“And your family?” I asked.

“My Mum’s known for ages,” Aston said, “I’m sure she’s told everyone else. But we should probably call tonight.”

“Who else?”

“The boys know. Marvin and Rochelle were the ones who came and did up the terrace. I mean, I ordered everything, they just came and put it all up while we were away for the day. They were actually in the house when we got home.”

“Which is why you took me up via the lower deck! So they could get out the main way!” I said shocked at how oblivious I’d been.

“Couldn’t leave candles just going.”

“It was really pretty out there,” I said with a sigh, “I’m sorry I had a Rego moment and ruined it.”

“Well,” Aston started, peering out the window, “It looks like it all held up over night, we can switch it all on tonight and have a soak in the Jacuzzi or something.”

“You and that damn Jacuzzi,” I laughed, slipping out of bed. “So really it’s just my work friends and Marnie on my side.”

“Which is pretty easy if you just show up with the ring and tell them.”

“Yup,” I said, going to the wardrobe, “And I’ll call Marnie to come meet me for lunch or something.”

“She won’t make too much of a scene?”

“On second thought…” I said knowing that she definitely would, “I’ll figure it out.”

I got ready for work and then hopped downstairs as usual for my coffee and fruit. Aston slouched down a few minutes after me, in his gym clothes.

“Slow start today huh?”

“Actually it could be rough,” Aston replied, “Haven’t been to the trainer since before America…”

“Ouch.”

“So listen, what time are you home tonight?” he asked me as he stole some of my fruit.

“Seven?” I guessed.

“Ok. I’m going to cook for you,” he said, “And we can talk over our plan and make our calls. The sooner we at least have an idea of how we’re doing this the better.”

“Doing what?”

“Getting married,” he said with an eye roll.

“Oh! I didn’t realize it was such an immediate operation.”

“We don’t need to make any concrete decisions, but it might be good to lay out what we both want so we can start working on things. With our jobs we should probably figure out a date soonish so we can get the time off. And venue hunting can be difficult.”

“Well I already know where we’re getting married…” I said in a sing-song voice, going to the door to grab my heels and bag.

“What?” Aston stuttered.

“You picked it.”

“I did?”

“I’ll let you ponder that one for the day,” I said, “I’ve gotta run.”

“Babe! That’s not fair!” Aston whined, running to the door and grabbing hold of my waist. I had to swallow in my complaints of him wrinkling my dress, I had started this.

“It’s actually really obvious,” I replied with a smirk.

He frowned at me, twisting me enough so that he could kiss my lips lightly. “Bye fiancée.”

“Love you, bye.”

“Love you too,” Aston said as he released me and saw me out the front door.

On the bus to Jeremy’s campaign office I made sure to keep my hand covered with my gloves. It was really just a precaution so that I didn’t get caught off guard. I never really knew who might recognize me and sell the story.

At work I drew off my gloves and threw them on my desk, wandering over to Monica for my messages.

“OH. MY. GOD!” she squealed as I approached her.

“What?”

“THAT RING!”

“Shhhh…” I laughed, letting her grab my hand and inspect the ring. She was definitely quick.

“It’s sooo gorgeous.”

“I like it,” I said with a shrug.

“When? How? Where? OH. MY. GOD.”

Jeremy strolled out of his office as Monica kept shrieking. “What is going on?”

“LOOK!” Monica said excitedly, holding my hand up for Jeremy to see.

“Wow! Congrats Jess.”

“Thanks,” I smiled.

“Now fill us in!” Monica said excitedly. I saw my father out of the corner of my eye, a secret smile on his face as he watched on.

“One second,” I said, shaking free of Monica’s grip and heading over to my Dad.

“Congrats sweetheart,” he said, enveloping me in a tight hug.

“Thanks Daddy,” I said.

“You definitely found a good one.”

“I like to think so.”

“So we’ll finally have the estate wedding that you talked about non-stop when you were a little girl.”

“What?” I asked, shocked at this. I didn’t remember ever saying anything about weddings when I was little. For as long as I remembered I’d been adamantly against them.

“You and Marnie,” my Dad said, “You used to go out in the back garden and play wedding all the time. Freddy hated playing. You’d make him marry Marnie.”

“I did?”

“You don’t remember?”

I shook my head, “No, not at all.”

“You loved that idea, with all the flowers in the garden and the big green lawn,” my father said, “I think it would be perfect for you two.”

“I agree.”

I smiled lightly at my father, baffled by this revelation. I must have been really little when I played this, because my oldest memories of the estate were when we were older and playing in the forest.

I spent the morning fielding questions from Jeremy and Monica, whilst also trying to get a bit of work done. The campaign was starting to ramp up, the elections fast approaching. It was exciting times, but stressful times.

Finally done at work I grabbed the bus home, still debating how to tell Marnie. She was such a loose cannon; I wasn’t sure what she’d do when she found out. Which kind of scared me.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

573K 15.9K 29
One touch. One touch was enough for a tough mafia boss to fall in a love with the unknown girl. She was abused, he was abused. Two broken people tryi...
288 36 19
If I die will it go away All the pain in my heart If I die will you come to me To say you were wrong Why do I have to go through this pain Was I wron...
295K 9.9K 18
What happens when you your life doesn't turn out how you planned? What happens when you run into the man you thought you were meant to marry? MATURE...
62.8K 1K 46
I fell in love with you and what am I supposed to do now? Should I fight for you? It doesn't make sense .. You don't want to.