𝐁𝐞𝐧𝐞𝐚𝐭𝐡 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐒𝐮𝐫�...

By Iyanuoluwa-Temi

A Nigerian Teen-Fiction. Zaria Coker had every reason to be called perfect; Straight As, awesome friends, and... More

Authors Note
Meeting the Characters
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35

Chapter 17

3.6K 746 193
By Iyanuoluwa-Temi

Zaria's POV

I brought out the outfit I picked out last night for the hangout with the girls. It was a blue crop top under a denim jacket and black jeans with baby pink designer convase. Aisha is very good at picking cloths and shoes for me whenever we go shopping.

I stood in front of the mirror as I styled my hair into a back bun and gelled my edges into curls. I made up my face a little bit and took my phone and my purse from the bed and made my way down stairs. Unfortunately for me everyone was at home.

I got to the sitting room and saw Father, Mother, Sam and Aisha watching the popular comedy series the Johnsons  on African Magic Urban. The maids were going around the house with their duties. I went to Aisha and kissed her cheek.

"Hey sis." I smiled at her. She smiled right back at me.

"It's like it only your sister you can see in this room, bah? " That was my mother. I rolled my eyes and stood upright.

"I greeted you this morning, ma." I replied her in the most polite voice I could muster. Sam lowered the TV volume and everyone had their eyes on me.

Great! Another family drama!  I looked at Sam and saw him checking me out in a way that made me both self-conscious, nauseous and repulsed.

"This is almost twelve noon, young lady. By the way, where are you going all dressed up?" It was father that talked this time.

"I told mother about the hangout I was having with my friends today." I replied him.

"Did I give you the permission, ehn?!" Mother snapped.

"You said and I quote 'Suit yourself.' This is me suiting myself." I replied, nearly in the same tone.

"So you are now shouting at your mother, abi?! "Father glared.

"I'm not shouting at her, Father." I retorted.

Please God, don't let this people ruin my perfectly planned day!

"Zaria, just apologize, to avoid all the wahala." Aisha pleaded with me.

I am doing this because I so wanna get out of this house.

"I'm sorry, ma." I got down on my knees like a typical Yoruba girl and knelt on my two knees.

"That's more like it." Mother adjusted her buba and retied her rapa before sitting down.

"Let one of the drivers drop you off." Father said.

"No sir, I will drop her off." Sam stood up and smirked at me.

No way!!

"Don't worry. Aisha will drop me off." I said, looking at Sam with disgust. He chuckled slightly and sat back down.

"I will?" Aisha looked at me with a raised eyebrow.

"You certainly will, sweet sister." I gave her a sweet smile.

"Let me change." She stood up and ascended the stairs. I went out to stand by the car.

"Why are you in such a hurry to leave the house?" Sam's voice came from my side. I rolled my eyes in frustration. I looked and saw him standing with his hands folded across his broad chest.

"To get away from your fugly face." I replied with sass.

"Ouch. Touché." He mockingly placed his hand on his chest and feigned hurt and disappointment. "And here I thought we were having fun spending time together." He pouted, coming closer to me. I didn't even flinch.

"Look Sam, I don't know what you are planning and I don't give a flying fuck. Please just stay away from me, okay?!" I blew an imaginary strand of hair from my face. Sam chuckled and leaned on the car, being very close to me.

"You see that's the problem, my sweet delicious pumpkin; I can't stay away from you. Haven't I made it clear enough? I want you and I'm gonna have my way, whether you like it on not." He whispered the last part and kissed my ear. I pushed away from him and looked at him with disgust.

"You make me sick, Sam. I'm your niece!! Isn't that telling you something, because if you are not crazy, it should tell you something!" I snapped.

"Well, I'm crazy. Crazy about you, pumpkin." He smirked.

"Is everything okay?" Aisha's voice came close and Sam stepped away from me slowly. Sam looked at me and dared me to make a stupid move.

"Yeah. Everything is fine. I was just apologizing to uncle Sam right here for being rude back inside." The lie flew easily from my lips. Since I was thirteen, lying to my family had been really easy. When I tried to open up and tell the truth once, no one believed me.

"Oh okay. Let's get going, Zaria." Aisha used the remote control to open the car and I entered, totally ignoring Sam. Aisha came in and soon we were on our way to Lekki gardens, where Lyla lived.

"I heard you talking to someone over the phone at around 1am last nigh.?"Aisha's voice cut through the silence and I looked at her.

"Really? It was probably Lyla." I brushed off, even though I had a good what she was talking about. I was on a phone call with Joel till past mid night. 

I haven't exactly seen Joel since we vacated. Several I prayed to run into him whenever I go for my morning run through the estate but God just decided not to answer my prayer.

"Who are you trying to deceive? I heard the way you were giggling like a mad cat. It's definitely a guy." Aisha teased,a smirk on her lips. I chuckled.

"Oh, right. You mean Joel. It's nothing big." I brushed it off like it was no big deal.

"It's nothing big and you almost laughed the whole house yesterday." She teased again and I laughed out.

"Honestly, it's nothing Aisha. I'm playing wing man for Ada. She likes him." I replied her, grimacing at the thought alone.

"Oh really?" She looked at me briefly before looking back at the road. "Whatever you say? I know what I heard anyway." She said and I chuckled again.

Aisha will not kill me.

*****

Aisha dropped me off at Lyla's house. Ada was already there so we kicked off the hangout. It started off as fun until Ada wasn't concentrating anymore and just staring at her phone repeatedly. Lyla being Lyla couldn't take it anymore.

"You keep checking your phone every five minutes. What are you looking at?" Lyla asked. Ada looked up from her phone.

"It's nothing. I'm just trying to chat with Joel and he isn't responding." She whined. I fought the urge to roll my eyes.

"Well, is he online?" I asked and she shook her head. Lyla kissed her teeth.

"So why are you disturbing yourself?" Lyla asked.

"I just want to check up on him, that's all. After our date last week, I think we are moving to the next level." She replied and for the second time, I fought the urge to roll my eyes.

"Okay girl, slow your roll. Don't you think you are taking this thing to fast?" I asked her and her worried expression changed to a grimace.

"What do you mean by that?" She asked. I looked at Lyla for help and she immediately got the memo.

"We mean, he hasn't even taken you out on a second date yet and you are thinking of moving it to the next level. Babe, you need to chill." Lyla said ever so bluntly, earning a scoff from Ada.

"You people don't know how it's done abeg. Lyla, you are just in your first relationship and Zaria, you have never been in one." I frowned at that. It might not be like that but it seemed she's making fun of us since she's the most experienced.

"Well, coaches don't play." I muttered.

"Be using that to console yourself." Ada retorted in a playful yet annoying manner. Lyla sighed and tried to reason with Ada.

"Babe, all we are trying to say is, wait till a second and advisably, a third date before you get any ideas. If he doesn't make a move and leave it as it is." Lyla stated.

"It is what it is." I chanted with s shrug and looked on.

"Well, If he doesn't make a move, then I'd make a move." My eyes and Lyla's became wide as saucers. Ada smirked. "You know I don't shy away from things like this." She picked her phone, stood up and went into the bathroom. Lyla looked at me.

"This will definitely not end well." She said and I nodded.

Ada would never listen.

*****

Joel's POV

"I'll finish you today!" Charles yelled as he pressed his thumb furiously on the console and tried to win me in PES. I laughed, relaxed, knowing very well that I'd beat him most definitely. I pressed few buttons and my player shot the ball into the net.

"Goal!" I exclaimed, laughing out loud. Charles hissed loudly and threw the console harshly, it almost missed the bed.

"I'm not playing again, jare." He said and I tsked at him.

"You are such a sore loser. Sha, don't break my console. You are kuku rich. If you break this one you'll buy another one." I told him and he hissed again, plopping down on my bed. I went ahead to put off my TV.

"That reminds me." Charles said and I looked at him. "Zaria told me you took Ada out on a date last week. How come I didn't know about this?" He sat up. I sighed, settling beside him.

"Because the less people know, the less drama that happens. Besides, I'm not doing that again." I told him.

"What? You are not taking her out again? Why, does she have bad eating habits?" Charles asked and I laughed even though I knew he wasn't trying to crack a joke.

"Not at all. It's just that, taking her on more dates would be stringing her along and I certainly don't want that for either of us and I certainly don't want her saying her played or something." I stated and Charles nodded in understanding.

"Zaria told me Ada was really on her neck for the date. I seriously pitied Zaria though. Ada is an handful so I know what you are talking about." He said, laying back on the bed. I realized he kept referring to Zaria and I couldn't help the pang in felt in my chest.

"You are still very close to Zaria, uhn?" The question flew out of my mouth before I could stop it. He looked at me though a corner of his eyes and went back to staring at the ceiling.

"I guess. We've been friends for years. The question seems weird. Why did you ask?" He asked, looking at me skeptically. I quickly shrugged.

"No reason. It's just a question. Nothing more." I stated.

"Okay. You made it sound like being close to Lyla is a bad thing." He pointed out but I didn't reply. I realized what the pang in my heart was.

Jealousy.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

31.6K 4.5K 36
"Nimi, a frustrated church girl, encounters her biggest temptation yet when she lands herself in the arms of Lagos' most eligible bachelor..." Nimi i...
177K 34.4K 50
****A Wattpad Featured Novel**** • • • (Book one) Many of us, have read lots of books and watched lots of movies, abo...
73.4K 16K 31
Tiana Dakoba isn't who everyone thought she was. To everyone, the mere sight of her oozed confidence and pride. She was the "It" girl. But no one kne...
180K 45.5K 97
"Sometimes, you have to kind of die inside in order to rise from your own ashes and believe in yourself, and love yourself enough to become a new per...