Growing in Power (Highschool...

By alphafox270

Power is the one thing to corrupt everyone's minds: it's what most villains crave in a hero film, either that... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16

Chapter 3

7.4K 150 34
By alphafox270

(3rd Person + 2 days after Riser's death)

Ravel Phenex was in the living room of the mansion her family owned, her brothers had already moved out, her parents were confined to their room. Riser's peerage were with her, all of them affected in their own way. Even if Riser was a jerk, an asshole, he took them all in when they had nowhere else to go. His rooks, his pawns, his bishops and his queen, all of them had similar horrible backgrounds: slaves, abandoned, forced to leave homes and even some lost their family and friends.

Most of them joined Riser because of his promise for power, some for promise of having a family. In the end, they all had their heads down in both shame and disbelief when it was revealed who Riser really way, sure, they know he was building his own harem and someone who would resort to extreme tactics to get what he want, the biggest example being the arranged marriage with Rias and the fact the only way out was through the Rating Game.

Ravel: We need to talk about this...

Isabela (Rook): Is there any point? The king is dead, we'll be classified as rouge devils and be hunted down.

Yubelluna (Queen): So no different from before meeting Lord Riser then?

Mihae (Bishop): You too?

Yubelluna: All of us have had rough pasts, I thought Riser brought me in because of that... turns out I was only half-right: he took me in for my looks and used my past to convince me to become a part of his peerage... I fell in love because I honestly thought he cared about us, turns out he's just like that pawn piece from Gremory's peerage, only worse.

Ni (Pawn): Well... we're just gonna have to find a new master!

Li (Pawn): That's right!

Siris (Knight): Unfortunately that's not possible.

Ravel: Why's that?

Siris: Ever since Lord Riser's crime was revealed, the Phenex family has been cast in a dark light, even us who were a part of his peerage have been shunned, tormented and reminded of our former king's murder, it's not just your family Ma'am who've been affected, but us too.

Karlamine (Knight): Meaning... we won't be able to live in peace... we'll be tormented all our lives once again.

Ravel looked up in guilt, even if it wasn't her. It was Riser, her brother and a part of the Phenex house who murdered all those orphans and basically forced Rias into a marriage contract, she knew each one of the pieces personally, and she knew they had all been through a lot before meeting her brother.

Ravel: I'll find someone...

All of them: What?

Ravel: I'll find someone to take us in, to become the king piece, but first, I'll have to talk to the Lord Sirzechs about getting Riser's king piece, after all, without that we won't get anywhere.

Burent (Pawn): But...

Shuriya (Pawn): Who would dare to take on the burden of the hatred of the whole of the underworld? There's not a devil alive I know who would attempt it...

Ravel: Maybe not a devil...

The rest of the pieces looked up in confusion at their temporary leader, even Yubelluna saw Ravel as their temporary king considering she is Riser's sister.

Ravel: This is the riskiest and most daring, but at the same time humiliating move I'm going to pull, but... there's only one person alive who can take us in, someone who the underworld will know not to mess with... someone they know is stronger than Riser ever was...

Xuelan (Rook): Hang on now Ravel! You don't mean...

Ravel: Riser's murderer... (Y/N) (L/N).

The room instantly fell into silence, all of the girls held faces of: disbelief, fear, sorrow, anger and slight hope.

Yubelluna: The very same man who killed our previous king... while he is no doubt stronger, we cannot...

Ravel: Yes, as we all know: he's not exactly fond of devils in the first place meaning he's probably the last person who would ever accept a peerage...

Isabela: But... at the end of the day, it comes down to power, if he's who I think he is: (Y/N) will easily succumb to an offer of power.

Yubelluna: He's a brute... he murdered Riser...

Mihae: Yes, but was Riser really that good of a person Yubelluna? He murdered innocent children, most would regret that but when the boy brought it up, Riser gloated about it...

Ile and Nel (Pawns): Well we want him to be our new king!

Yubelluna: What!?

Xuelan: Despite his hatred, he fought against Riser honourably, that's all I ask out of our new king.

Isabela: I could get a few lessons outta that guy!

Karlamine: Well... he does hang around that pure devil with blonde hair, which means he must be a good person at heart if she trusts him...

Siris: Even if he doesn't wield a sword like mine, he does hold plenty of power to make up for it.

Mihae: Not to mention his intelligence in battle, while not as smart as I would like it to be, he's able to outmanoeuvre the one we believed to be invincible for so long...

Ni and Li: Maybe he has some snacks!

Mira (Pawn):...

Ravel: You've been silent for a while, something wrong Mira?

Mira: I don't think I deserve another chance?

Isabela: Why's that?

Mira: I'm weak...

Ravel: Well... that's going to be one of demands!

Mira: What?

Ravel: I'll get him to train you, I promise, and then you won't be looked down on as weak anymore!

Mira just looked away in silence, but they did catch a small ghost of a smile on her face, no doubt imagining a strong individual like (Y/N) training her. Riser never bothered training her, instead he just used her for when he wanted to play out a sick fantasy, of course, she always politely refused his advances.

Ravel: Then, we are all in agreement that the only one who can accept the role of being king is (Y/N) (L/N)?

They all nod, Ravel then suddenly grows a nervous smile while looking at everyone, including Yubelluna's doubtful gaze.

Ravel: 'Oh no... how am I going to pull this off!?'

(Present time)

(Y/N) sighed while pinching the bridge of his nose, after Ravel discussed how they came to the decision on (Y/N) being the new king piece, he was in disbelief.

(Y/N): Trust you devils to quickly betray your master for whoever's stronger... this is why I refused you this morning: how am I supposed to know you will be loyal even if I did give you the chance of forming a peerage with me?

Ravel: You weren't listening... they thought they were happy with Riser. He took them in when they were down, he made them feel alive again, (Y/N), coming from a past where you lost your family. Your past is nothing compared to theirs.

(Y/N): Oh? I can't wait to hear this one...

Ravel: Ni and Li? Twins who were expelled from their home because of how they turned out: apparently they were weaker than what their family was. Isabela? While she may seem tough, she's had to sell her body for the last 6 years before Riser found her just because devils killed her family too. Mihae? She's been abandoned ever since she was an infant, she never knew what being part of a family feels like, not even Riser... that kimono she's always wearing is all Riser ever allowed her to wear!!!

Ravel continued on to explain their backstories: all of them not good ranging from selling their bodies to being tormented by their family, to even one trying to commit suicide... that one was Mira. (Y/N) didn't know why, but Mira was the one who caught his attention the most. He remembered Mira as the blue-haired girl who was defeated in one strike by (Y/N). Her past was definitely the worst, according to Ravel: her family abused and tortured her just out of spite, then when she was old enough Mira ran away but couldn't even find a job... even the ones who'd pay for sex told her that "Her body was wasn't good enough". She lived on scraps, had no friends, no family and any one whom she thought was family would always betray her.

It got to the point where she was about to commit suicide, until Riser saved and reincarnated her as a devil.

Ravel: She was happy, happy that someone cared enough to reincarnate her and be a part of a family... only for the harsh reality to finally catch up with her as Riser constantly came onto her, and when she refused...

(Y/N):....

Ravel: I'd understand if you didn't want me as a part of your peerage, I can handle it, I can handle being berated and attacked by the underworld... but they can't (Y/N). They've all led lives of despair and...

(Y/N): Ravel...

Ravel looked up, and was slightly horrified to see that (Y/N)'s scowl was still on his face, she'd noticed that she caused night to fall from the amount of time she took up explaining everything to (Y/N), however what (Y/N) said next surprised her greatly.

(Y/N): Is it possible, you can teleport them here?

As if answering his question, a seal appeared behind Ravel causing the both to look over. (Y/N) scowled further when he saw it was Sirzechs in his fancy business suit, behind him were the remaining members of Riser's peerage, all of them with different expressions of nervousness, anger and some of them seemed even frightened.

Sirzechs: Apologies for bursting in like this, I got the story from Yubelluna here and... I must say I'm extremely surprised (Y/N), you of all people are going to...

Sirzechs realised he would've made things worse if he teased (Y/N) here and now, so instead he cleared his throat and composed himself with a warm smile.

Sirzechs: They all wanted to come see Ravel, beliveing she was dead after being away for so long, turns out she was just fine.

(Y/N): The one called Mira, step forward.

Surprised and slightly defensive, the girls all covered the blue-haired girl who nervously held her wooden weapon. They got even more defensive when one of (Y/N)'s evil energy wings suddenly appeared, morphing into a hand and snatching Mira from their huddled group. She dropped her weapon in surprise, just as they were about to attack, Sirzechs held them back by holding one hand out watching on with interest at the blue-haired pawn's predicament.

Mira: P-p-put me down...

(Y/N): That's weird, when we first met you were quite the confident one... what happened?

Mira:... I... I...

(Y/N): Ugh, this'll take forever... one moment...

Suddenly the (H/C) haired boy placed a hand on the restrained reincarnated devil, they both went wide-eyed as her memories were transferred into his, he saw how Riser was the one thing that showed they cared about her... then he broke her by acting just like all the others in her life, while it flattered her that someone finally wanted her body, she was disgusted by how he wanted it, then (Y/N) saw the abuse Riser put her through as well as the advances... that was the easy part... her earlier memories confirmed Ravel's claim.

With a grunt, (Y/N)'s devil wing released Mira who ran straight to the other girls. They instantly shielded her from anything (Y/N) could do, (Y/N) however was staring at the ground, conflicted thoughts running through his head... on one hand they were devils, on the other, they were just like Asia: become devils for a better life... much less a life itself, they trusted Riser to take them higher in life.

(Y/N): You know... if you were still humans when I met you, I would've taken you girls in, reason being you weren't devils, I hate devils with a passion.

Ravel and the rest had their heads down in sorrow, Yubelluna nodded in smugness, she knew this would happen... that was until once again (Y/N) surprised the group of devils by turning to them, his scowl now a serious expression.

(Y/N): However, I've learned that between those who have experienced the same pain, there can be no hate no matter who or what you are.

Sirzechs himself was surprised at hearing that, he then noticed that (Y/N)'s earring was also shining while he said that it made him smile in relief before (Y/N) took a step forward.

(Y/N): I hate devils as if they were my life-long enemies... but that doesn't mean I'm foolish enough to refuse them if they wish to be my allies, I refused this morning because I hated your attitude... truth be told I know my dream is impossible to fulfill on my own, that's why, even if you are devils, I will accept your help... even if that means I have to become a king of a peerage.

Their eyes lit up, hope spreading all over their faces, but there were some who were still unconvinced at (Y/N)'s proposal, this made the teenager sigh before his devil wing hovered over them all.

(Y/N): My evil evil energy is something only awakened in those who have experienced life-long pain... Mira, Ravel made a promise to you didn't she?

Mira: She... said you could make me stronger...

(Y/N): I don't know why... but when I look at you, you remind me of a little sister...

Sirzechs: So... what is your answer (Y/N)? Are you going to leave them to fend for themselves? They have been doing it for the majority of their lives, but now both the human and the underworld will be after them... they need someone powerful to make sure they're left alone...

(Y/N):....

Ravel: (Y/N)...

(Y/N): Fine... guess the house is going to need a massive renovation for you girls.

Instantly almost all the girls were cheering, hugging each other while joyfully laughing at (Y/N) accepting the role they desperately needed, Yubelluna was the only one not celebrating like them, instead she was crossing her arms, sighing in relief... (Y/N) was surprised when he felt small arms wrap around his waist.

Ravel: Thank you... so much...

(Y/N): Yeah, yeah, just know that you're not going to be my pieces, I'll treat you more like my roomates: do your chores, make your own money and I'll let you live here... of course I'll have to talk to Asia, Rias and Kalawarner since they all...

He was interrupted by the sound of his mobile phone, (Y/N) sighed before answering seeing it was Asia.

Asia: (Y/N), you need to get over here now! We're sensing the same presence as Raynare at Issei's house!

(Y/N): And? Can't Issei handle himself?

Asia: (Y/N)... whoever this is, they're stronger than Raynare's ever been...

To be continued...

(A/N): Ok, before you guys attack me saying (Y/N) should NEVER get a peerage, think about it for a second: they aren't full devils. They used to be humans and they were basically in his and Asia's situation and some of them even worse, (Y/N) may hate devils... but he's not a cold-hearted bastard. Also, when (Y/N) read Mira's mind via a technique Azazel taught him... he saw more than her memories, and that's what intrigues him the most, all in all, even though (Y/N) hates devils... he's still human meaning he can't help but feel sympathy for each and every one of them. Anyways! Thanks you guys and gal for the continued support and eat one or more brownies every day!!!!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

242K 3.6K 27
Y/n L/n was treated like the scourge of his world, and all because he lacks any superpower or super abilities. His parents abandoned him, people beat...
13.2K 194 22
(Y/n) Lucifer was forced into a role he had no interest in. When his half brother Vali abandoned his place as heir to the House of Lucifer(one of the...
64.8K 1K 50
This a chainsaw man x highschool dxd crossover. Follow y/n as he tries to understand this new world as he strives to become the strongest being in th...
64.5K 755 22
Y/N L/N has always wanted to be a hero but sadly he was born without a Sacred Gear, Quirk, Semblance, Magic or any other kind of power. Because of hi...