Storm and Silence

By RobThier

"It is your choice," he said, stepping so close to me that our lips were almost touching. "Either do what I s... More

01. Arrested for Good Manners
02. Ape Bobby
03. Who He Really Is
04. Sweet and Solid
05. Driving Me Wild(ly)
06. Empire House
07. His Indecent Demands
08. Inventing a Sibling and Getting Poked in the Eye
09. File Fight
10. The Worst Fate Imaginable
11. The Dragon's Den
12. Practicing Impertinence
13. Ballroom Battle
14. The Sins of Mr Rikkard Ambrose
15. It gets mushy-gushy
16. Unsuitable Suitors
17. Return to the Game
18. The Peril of Flowers
19. The Discovery
21. I Defend my Honour, More's the Pity
22. My All-Important Task
23. Little Ifrit
24. The Beauty and the Vegetables
25. I Go Dress-Shopping
26. My Little Secret
27. The Thief
28. Improving my Skirt
29. The Key to Him
30. I Make Lieutenant-Pancake
31. Prospects of Matrimonial Misery
32. More Misery Behind the Bush
33. What To Do with Pink?
34. Going to the Room that Doesn't Exist
35. Problems? What Problems?
36. Sisters' Battles
37. Ambrosian Waste Disposal Squad
38. The Adversary
39. Pink Espionage
40. Dysfunctional Dismissal
41. To Meet without Trousers
42. In Tow
43. Twice Surprise
44. A Duel of Eyes
45. To Dance with him
46. Secret Plans and Politics
47. The Message Lock
48. Woes of Love
49. And a few more woes of love
50. Threats and Decisions
51. The Great Hunt of Green Park
52. Pinching and Planning
53. On Dates
54. Bloody Work
55. My lies run away with me
56. The Importance of Being Nice
57. Am I a Chimpanzee?
58. The Speech
59. The other speech
60. I realize I danced with a Criminal Mastermind
61. Cosy Little Coach Ride
62. I Mash and Bend Myself
63. I Bend Myself a Little Further
64. Napoleon and all the Little Piggies
65. Fighting Spirit
66. Hallucination Manicure
67. Unluckily Unlocked
68. Looking for Truffles and Butterflies
69. Seeing Stars
70. A Trace of Fire brings the Winter
71. I Polish my Housebreaking-Skills
72. Unreal Dream of a Really Wonderful Nightmare
73. Victory Party
74. Sisterly Love
75. Biting Metaphorical Heads
76. Secrets of the Toilet
77. Different Sorts of Silence
78. Competition
79. A Waist of Tigers
80. Behind the Mask
81. Trapped
82. Pneumatic Freedom
83. A Man's Work
84. Bifurcated
85. Lion's Den
86. Lion's Jaws
87. Nemesis
88. Danger! Explosive Cargo!
89. Lessons in Power
90. A Special Person
91. Isle Marbeau
92. Mine and Yours
93. The Tortoise and the other Tortoise and no Hare
94. Shots in the Dark
95. Urania
96. Rising Waves
97. Man and Woman
THE SEQUEL
Goodreads Choice Award Finalist

20. Threats and Secrets

993K 50.4K 49.5K
By RobThier

The moment I saw him I knew I had been wrong. Wrong about two things, to be exact:

Firstly, the missing file box was important.

And secondly, seeing his profile might actually be worth losing your job over.

There he stood: a lean figure, his arms crossed tightly in front of his chest, revealing taut muscles in his upper arms. In his black tailcoat, trousers and shirt he looked like some menacing manifestation of the night, come to banish the day before it was time. The fact that he had a face that seemed to have been cut from a mountain by some ancient master didn't hurt either. I was paralysed in my chair – not with fear exactly. No, certainly not! I would never be afraid! Rather with... oh, I didn't know! Whatever it was, I had to get a grip, and fast!

"Mr Linton." His voice was just as I remembered it. Cold and clipped. He nodded at me, but before I could even open my mouth or think of a reply, he had marched past me. I stared after him until he vanished between the shelves at the other end of my office.

Mister Linton? Mister Linton? So he was still going to keep that up, even now he was forced to talk to me again?

My paralysis suddenly lifted, and I jumped to my feet. I'd show him! I'd show that son of a bachelor!

With three quick steps I was between the shelves. There was no sign of him there, but the door to the safe still stood open. He was in there.

For one moment I was tempted to shove the door closed and lock it – but no. If I ever did choke him, I wanted my hands around his throat. Letting him suffocate in an airtight safe was much too impersonal.

Taking a deep, relaxing breath, I stepped in after him – and stopped in my tracks.

The inside of the safe room was a mess. Files were scattered everywhere on the floor. Standing before the shelves containing the boxes, Mr Ambrose was thoroughly busy dismantling and examining every part of every file box he could find, and once he was done with them, throwing them over his shoulder onto the floor. He was like a ravenous animal burrowing through the carcass of a deer. The only difference was: while a ravenous animal might have found what it needed to still its hunger in a carcass, he appeared to come up blank.

"It must be here," he muttered. "It must be!"

"What must be here?" I asked. He completely ignored me. By Jove,[1] what a surprise!

Why did I even bother to ask? I knew what he was looking for, didn't I? File S39XX300. But what was so bloody important about that file?

"It must be here. It must be." He didn't say it angrily as such – but the determination in his words was like iron. Hundreds of files, which before had been in impeccable order, now lay scattered all over the metal floor of the safe, and still he continued his wild hunt.

I stood mute at the door and watched him. Even I had known how to help, I wouldn't have dared get in his way. It took him about half an hour to turn the orderly file boxes into a monumental mess. Finally, the very last file was in his hand. He looked at the number, and let it drop to the floor with a clatter.

He stood like that for a moment, rock-still.

Then he whirled around. The look in his dark eyes made me retreat a step.

"You!" he hissed, coldly. He didn't say anything more. He didn't need too. I knew it was an accusation. My breathing sped up.

Dear God! He suspected me of stealing the file! Me! Sweet little me!

What was he going to do? Call the police? Looking into his eyes, somehow I doubted that. I remembered Karim, and the huge sabre, and my heart sped up some more.

"Where is it?" he asked.

"Th-the file? I d-don't know."

In two steps, he was in front of me. Hell's whiskers! I hadn't noticed how tall he was before. He was towering over me.

Why the hell was I so nervous? What could he do to me, anyway?

Well... looked pretty sharp the last time you saw it, don't you think?

He wouldn't harm me, would he?

"Tell me what you have done with the file," he said in his usual cold, hard voice, "or you will learn how to swim face down in the Thames tonight."

All right... that answered my question pretty succinctly.  My whole body felt cold all of a sudden. Darn! Was he being serious?

I looked into his eyes.

Yes, he was. Absolutely serious.

"You... you wouldn't dare!" I managed to whisper.

"Really?" Raising his hand, he counted dispassionately: "Firstly, nobody knows you are really here. You do not exist, Mr Victor Linton."

His lips didn't curve into a derisive smile, but even without that, I could hear the cold venom he put into my invented name.

"Nobody will care if you vanish, and nobody will connect your disappearance to the death of some young poor lady found drowned in the Thames," he continued.

He extended a second finger. "Secondly, I have very discrete associates. It would be a marvel if your body was even found."

Another finger. He caught my gaze with his, and held it. "Thirdly, look at me. Look into my eyes and then tell me again I would not dare to get rid of you."

Well, at least I now knew one thing. He was no industrialist who had made his fortune by producing tin cans or porcelain figurines. He was something else entirely.

"Where," he asked in a voice so low I almost didn't catch it, "is the file. Last chance, Mr Linton."

"I... I..." Dammit, what was happening to me? I could feel my whole body beginning to shake, and my eyes felt strange. They felt as if they were... wet.

Oh no! No, no, no and no again! I was not going to cry like some little girl! Not in front of him. Not now. I was going to be brave and prove to him that I was just as good as any man and... and...

I started to cry.

I admit it, all right? I started to cry.

"I... I don't know," I sniffled, lowering my head and searching desperately for a handkerchief. But this was my uncle's trousers, and he never went out, so there were no handkerchiefs in his pockets. Hurriedly, I tried to wipe away the tears with my sleeve before he could see them. "I didn't take your file! I didn't! I..."

I blinked up at him, breathing heavily. What was he going to do now? Call his henchmen and have me killed?

To my surprise I saw him not where he had been a moment ago. He had retreated a few steps. The ice had gone out of his eyes, and he was standing in a slightly awkward position, his hands tugged into the pockets of his waistcoat as if he didn't know what to do with them.

"Um... here," he muttered. Pulling one of his hands out of the pocket, he handed me a clean white linen handkerchief.

"You just threatened to kill me and now you're offering me a handkerchief?" I asked, tearfully.

He shrugged, and the awkwardness vanished as he fixed me with his eyes again. "I can hardly question you further while you are... leaking like this. It is noisy and messy. Put an end to it. Now!"

Taking the handkerchief, I blew my nose in a noisy and not very ladylike manner. Then I held it out to him.

"Here."

He shook his head.

"You don't want it back?"

"Are you mad?" he demanded. "Of course I do! That thing cost three shillings and tuppence! I would simply be very obliged if you washed it before giving it back, though."

"Oh... err... of course I will." I paused. "If you don't kill me, that is," I added, as an afterthought.

"Oh, that." He shifted uncomfortably for a moment. Mr Ambrose, uncomfortable? What was this?

Finally he, waved deprecatingly. "I have thought of a better way. A way I can determine whether you are guilty or innocent."

"Well, I'm very glad to hear it."

"I imagine so." Straightening into his usual erect pose again, Mr Ambrose clapped his hand. "Karim!"

He hadn't even called very loud, and there was a locked door in the way. There was no way the big bearded fellow could have heard him.

"You called, Sahib?"

With a yelp, I sprang back and whirled to see the Mohammedan stand right behind me, towering in the safe doorway.

With a curt wave, Mr Ambrose directed him back into my office.

"Search the room. File S39XX300."

Apparently, Mr Ambrose was as economical with his words as with his money and facial expressions. Karim didn't need any more explanation. He went back into my office. Soon after, I heard the noise of drawers being opened.

"So what is it?" I asked. "This better method that does not require me to learn to swim with my lungs full of water?"

Was my voice steady? I thought it was. I probably should have been more scared, but somehow this felt unreal. I was discussing with a practically strange man his reasons for not wanting to kill me. Was this really happening?

"Well, you did not have the keys for the safe until today," Mr Ambrose reasoned, his gaze wandering up and down my body in a strange manner. "I do not believe you are capable of cracking a safe. Ergo, if you took the file, you must have done it today. And if it is not in your office, you must still have it on you."

"And?" I asked. "What do you intend to do now?"

His gaze went up and down my body again. "As I said," he repeated, his dark, sea-coloured eyes intent. "You must have it on you." He stepped closer to me.

And suddenly, I understood.

My hands shot up to shield me. "Oh no. No, nononono, Mister! Don't even think about it!"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Sun is rising, the Birds are singing! I wish you a good morning, my Lords, Ladies and Gentlemen!

I've started getting quite a few inquiries from some among you, my fabulous fans, regarding when & where exactly this story of mine takes place. So I concluded I should take a little bit of time to give you some background information regarding "Storm and Silence". All those of you who are up for a lesson in nineteenth-century geopolitics, sit up & listen. The rest of you, my dear Ladies & Gentlemen, please go ahead and plug your ears! ;-)

"Storm and Silence" is set in the a named the "United Kingdom of Great Britain & Ireland", a 19th-century nation that no longer exists today in the same form as it did back then, because it has been split into two different nations. Its main legal successor is called the "United Kingdom of Great Britain and NORTHERN Ireland" (please note the "northern") because the larger (and southern) part of Ireland successfully seceded from the United Kingdom and declared its independence a few decades after the Victorian Era was officially over. This southern portion of Ireland is nowadays known as "The Republic of Ireland".

The 19th-century United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland was composed of Ireland (well, obviously) and of Great Britain, which in turn consisted, as it still does today, of the following countries: England down in the south, Scotland up in the north, and Wales in the west. All those different countries were unified under the rule of Queen Victoria, who also ruled over vast areas of the globe in other parts of the world. These were known as the British Empire. They were under British rule, but were not part of the United Kingdom or Britain itself.

Now, everyone who hasn't fallen asleep yet, raise their hands please! ;-) You are the only ones who shall escape my terrible punishment! ;-) All the others shall be beaten with birch twigs, as was the custom in Victorian schools

Ahahahahahaha... (Evil Victorian Teacher Laugh!!)

Your Victorian schoolmaster ;-)

Sir Rob

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By Jove: "By Jove" is a British English expression of surprise. Jove was an alternative name for the Ancient Roman good Jupiter. Why exactly the British Victorians, all good Christians, used the name of an Ancient God who hadn't been worshipped for thousands of years to express their surprise is one of the mysteries of history. My personal theory is that Christianity in Victorian times was all pretense, and secretly, the whole country still worshiped the Olympian Gods, meeting in midnight orgies in the vaults of the Bank of England. (←Example of Heavy Sarcasm!)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

533K 9.1K 23
Lily's bullies came back to her life after making highschool a living hell for her. She wants to escape them! They trap her She wants to stay away fr...
4.5M 143K 47
(Warning: Rated R) "Lilly tried to sign to him but her breath hitched as he pushed her into his upstairs office. Lilly regained her balance as she tu...
58.8K 2K 11
*STORM AND SILENCE BELONGS TO THE FANTASTIC ROB THIER* When Lilly receives her first paycheck, she starts wondering- what to do with the money? Besid...
126K 4.5K 48
"Stop it, just stop it, " he growled furiously at me, studying in disappointment "How many lies you are going to feed me now, after all, you have his...