𝐁𝐞𝐧𝐞𝐚𝐭𝐡 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐒𝐮𝐫�...

By Iyanuoluwa-Temi

A Nigerian Teen-Fiction. Zaria Coker had every reason to be called perfect; Straight As, awesome friends, and... More

Authors Note
Meeting the Characters
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35

Chapter 12

3.4K 799 252
By Iyanuoluwa-Temi

Joel's POV

Exams would be starting in two weeks time and everyone was getting ready, well, the serious ones I guess because some people are still playing at this crucial time. Though everyone is different. People prefer to read a night to the starting of the exams.

Everyone around the school, juniors and my mates, came to meet me for lessons and all. The Principal even asked me to start tutoring the junior classes because this two weeks were lecture free.

Though I really didn't like the idea of me being the only student tutoring because there are a lot of smart and brilliant SS2 students. Final year students were busy preparing for upcoming exams and all so everything were kept in the hands of the SS2 students.

It was lunch break. My friends and I were all seated at love garden taking snacks and talking. Zaria was seated opposite me and I found myself watching her every gesture. She was talking to Charles about something, occasionally throwing her head back whenever she laughed.

It seemed so serene, so natural to watch her.

I honestly don't know why I'm thinking this way. It has just been few weeks of getting to know the friendly and carefree part of her. And I must admit, I loved this side of her and I wouldn't get tired of seeing it.

"Joel, are you listening to me?" Ada's voice pierced through my reverie and I jerked my head towards her. She was looking at me and she had her hand latched around my arm.

"Sorry, what were you saying?" I asked her and she frowned.

"You were not listening to me. What were you thinking about?" She asked me. I quickly conjured up a quick lie in my head.

"Nothing much. Don't worry it's not important." I smiled at her, hoping she would let it go. Fortunately for me, she did and began to ramble again about God knows what.

The early parts of getting to know Ada, I thought she was cute. Right now, I don't think so anymore. She was a handful, like really handful and very clingy. It was beginning to annoy me but I didn't even know how to stop it. Considering the kind of nature I had, I didn't want to hurt anyone's feelings.

I remembered the tutoring assignment the Principal gave me and I decided to bring it up. I used that opportunity to unlatch my hand from Ada grasp.

"I've got something important to tell you guys." I announced. Everyone turned to me.

"What's up?" Taju asked.

"Alright. Guys, the principal and head of departments called me to their office this morning ...." I started.

"Ohhh, so that was why you went out of class this morning when Mr Ndubueze...." Charles interrupted me.

"You guys shouldn't interrupt Joel na. Let him land." Lyla shot Charles a mock glare and he stuck his tongue out playfully.

"Thanks Lyla. As I was saying, they called me this morning and told me to tutor the junior classes towards the coming exams." I told them.

A chorus of wows and congratulations rang through the table and I got few hand shakes and pats on the back.

I looked at Zaria and frowned. She looked.... Unhappy. When she saw she was already caught she quickly put a smile on her face but that wouldn't fool me. Something was definitely wrong.

"Congratulations."She said, her smile faltering a bit. Lyla also noticed the change in her countenance  but she also knew the reason why because she touched Zaria's shoulder. I looked around and saw everyone was looking at her.

"Zaria, are you okay?" Tyler asked.

"Yeah. I'm fine. Excuse me." She suddenly stood up and left.

The table was silent for a while. I was confused. I had no idea what was going on but everyone else knew.

"Okay... that was awkward. What's wrong with her" Ada asked, a grimace evident on her face.

"Why are you always so clueless about things like this? Soon, you'll be vexing that no one is giving you gist." Kelvin replied, earning him a stink eye from Ada.

"Abeg, free me." She retorted. I ignored the bicker and turned to the two most knowledgeable people I knew.

Lyla and Charles.

They knew Zaria like the back of their hands.

"Why did she leave like that? Was it something I said?" I asked them.

"No. At least not exactly. I'm pretty sure she understands." Lyla said.

"Understands what?" I asked.

"You see, before you came in, she's always been the one to tutor the junior class." Charles explained.

Oh no!

"Oh God! I didn't mean to do that to her. Fück!" I cursed, running my fingers through my short curled hair.

"It's not your fault, Joel. You didn't know. She shouldn't be upset." Ada said.

"I even decided that I can't handle this alone, I need you guys and I definitely need Zaria." I said.

"Maybe you should go talk to her." Taju suggested.

"You are right. Where do you think she would be right now?" I asked.

"Well, she goes to the hall whenever she needs to think that's probably where she is right now." Charles said. I stood up and made to leave the table but Ada held me back.

"You don't have to go after her. She's a grown lady." Ada said and I almost groaned.

Can this girl just stop already.

"Ada, leave the guy. Let him do what he wants to do." Lyla chided Ada who rolled her eyes but let got off my hands. I shot a grateful smile at Lyla and took off.

The last thing I want is history repeating itself with Zaria. In a way she was growing on me.

And I honestly don't want to trade her friendship for anything else.

***

I opened the door of the hall slowly and saw her sitting, her back facing the door making her oblivious of the fact that someone was inside with her. I saw her lips move so I got closer to listen to what she was saying only to realize that she was singing.

I stopped short, allowing myself to drown in her angelic voice as she sang the chorus of "Rewrite the Stars"  by Zendaya and Zac Efron  from the Movie "The Greatest Showman."

"What if we rewrite the stars,
Say you were made to be mine.
Nothing could keep us apart,
You'd be the one I was meant to find.

It's up to you and it's up to me.
No one can say what we get to be.
So why don't we rewrite the stars.
Maybe the world could be ours
Tonight."

I started to clap and that seemed to startle her because she almost jumped out of her skin, screaming slightly and sending her books flying. When she realized that I was the one, she calmed down, taking deep breaths.

"Joel, you scared the crap out of me." She said, placing her hand on her chest.

"I'm so sorry. But seriously, your voice is amazing." I told her, folding my hand across my chest.

"Thanks. It's one of my secret hobbies. Key word is secret so you must not tell anyone what you saw right now." She told me.

Why the hell does she want to hide such a talent?

But that wasn't why I was here. I looked at her as she arranged her books back on the table.

"Hey...." I said. She looked at me. "I'm sorry." I said. She looked at me again with confusion.

"What...." She started. I sat down beside her.

"I had no idea tutoring the juniors was your thing. I wouldn't have taken it if I knew you used to be the one handling the tutoring." I rambled. She chuckled at that and I took it as a good sign.

"If I had know, I wouldn't have taken it up or better still I would have suggested your name instead. I'm so sorry." I repeated.

"Hey, stop. It's not your fault. You didn't know. I should be the one sorry for overreacting. I shouldn't have left you guys like that. It was so stupid. I'm sorry." She apologized instead. I looked at her with so much admiration. I was so glad I had gotten to know her.

I told her my idea of letting all of us split the tutoring since we were in different departments and it would make it easier and faster and she agreed to it. So we started to plan it.

"You and I can take Mathematics while Charles will take introductory technology. Lyla and Ada can take Integrated science since JSS 1 and JSS 2 are four classes each and eight classes all together, so that four class in all for each of them." She drew a table to divide everything. I nodded in understanding and at the same time admired the look on her face. She really looks cute when she's in the zone.

"We need to get someone to help Taju from the Art class because he can't be the only handling the CRS, English, Music, social studies and Fine Art. Kelvin and Tyler can handle Business studies. Those are the basics. We will split the rest later between the other students that are ready to tutor." She concluded looking at me.

"Wow! You really illustrated the saying 'divide and conquer'. " I smiled at her. She smiled back.

I don't know where the boldness came from but I moved closer to her. She didn't exactly stop me so I put my hand on the head rest behind her.

"You know, I'm really glad I got to know you. You are very cool." I whispered, my eyes never leaving hers. She smiled at me, a deep dimpled smile, I found myself getting lost in. She was also searching my eyes.

That is certainly my weakness. I told myself.

What are you doing Joel. This is too soon! The tiny voice of reason chided me but I didn't heed. I felt myself drowning.

".....and beautiful...." I muttered as I brushed a stray hair from her face, my finger brushing her cheeks and I felt something. Something I couldn't explain and for some reasons I couldn't phantom, I wanted to feel more.

Gong!!!!

The bell went off indicating the end of lunch break and successfully snapping us back from unicorn land. Zaria looked at how close we were and suddenly moved back, creating enough space between us. She looked flushed and I almost slapped myself for being such a jerk and letting my feelings overrule my thinking.

Funny enough, I don't even know what I am feeling.

"I'm so sorry. I crossed..." I started. I was somehow feeling guilty and at the same time I wasn't.

"It's okay. We should get going." She simply said and started to pack her books. We both started walking back to class in silence but I couldn't help the series of question that flooded my mind.

What do I feel for Zaria?

Why do I feel giddy when I'm around her.

What are these feelings?

A/N

Can't you feel the love tonight. 😏

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

44K 12K 75
The choices teenagers make... Some choose to smoke Some choose to steal Some choose to be bullies to defend themselves Some end up getting pregnant...
16.3K 2.2K 43
Ruby just started at her new school and trips into a complicated life, involving her best friend's boyfriend, Matthew. And God, did she try to keep a...
1.2K 310 21
Problems of a teenage girl become far worse than zits or a perfect appearance when she experiences a tragic event at a very young age, which scars he...
31.2K 4.5K 36
"Nimi, a frustrated church girl, encounters her biggest temptation yet when she lands herself in the arms of Lagos' most eligible bachelor..." Nimi i...