Unknown | ✔ | First Version

By Young_Queen1246

Perhaps things would have turned out differently. Maybe I could have avoided what was to come. Maybe it's a g... More

Author's Note
Prologue
Chapter I
Chapter II
Chapter III
Chapter IV
Chapter V
Chapter VI
Chapter VII
Chapter VIII
Chapter IX
Chapter X
Chapter XI
Chapter XII
Chapter XIII
Chapter XIV
Chapter XV
Chapter XVI
Chapter XVII
Chapter XVIII
Chapter XIX
Chapter XX
Chapter XXI
Chapter XXII
Chapter XXIII
Chapter XXIV
Chapter XXV
Chapter XXVI
Chapter XXVII
Chapter XXVIII
Chapter XXIX
Chapter XXX
Chapter XXXII
Chapter XXXIII
Chapter XXXIV
Chapter XXXV
Chapter XXXVI
Chapter XXXVII
Chapter XXXVIII
Chapter XXXIX
Epilogue

Chapter XXXI

14 3 0
By Young_Queen1246

Chapter 31

L i n d a

My eyes trail to the clock hung on the wall, watching the minute hand tick by as I keep pacing back and forth in the living room.  It's almost seven, and she's not here. Did she bail out? Is she not coming anymore. I pull out my phone and nope. No message. 

"Can't we just leave already we're wasting time," Exclaims Jessica. Her foot tapping on the floor impatiently.

I shake my head "She said she'd be here."

"Well, clearly not" I hear her mutter.

Where are you, Eva?

A car suddenly pulls up in the driveway, and in no time everyone is on their feet and rushing out the front door.

I spot Eva, head out the window with an apologetic small on her face.

"Sorry. I live far away, and I kind of got lost looking for your address" She explains. Avoiding everyone's gaze that seem to narrow as they stare at her.

"Whatever," Jessica looks away and gets into her car along with Alexander and Sarah who's going to drive and lead the way.

"It's okay." I reassure her. "Lets go. She nods and rolls the window up as I hop into Luke's and take the passenger seat while Brenda takes the back seat.

"You ready for this." I glance at Luke as he pulls out the driveway and Brenda who's watching us both. Mainly me.

"Let's do it."

******

We park a few blocks away, along a small forest that surrounds most of Zoe's house. While the others who are stepping out of their vehicles and into the shadows. It's quiet out here. Maybe to quite for my liking. 

From here, we are hidden from plan sight but the front of the two story house- more like a mansion- lies in open sight. Where no doubt if her neighbors were looking out their windows or in their front yard we'd be caught.

We quickly make our way through the trees, carefully stepping in the still moist ground, until reaching the back of the property.

I can feel my heart beat faster with every minute ticking by, but I ignore it as I  focus on Luke who takes a bobby pin from his back pocket and bends down. Instantly getting to work at picking the lock.

If we weren't about to break into Zoe's house. I would've enjoyed the scene of the forest. The sound of the crickets who are now starting to gather- as if they are welcoming us. Including the very little grey light from far away that peeks its way through the branches and leaves.

I turn back around and find the door still closed while Luke still tries to pick the lock.

"Come on. We don't have all day." Says Brenda, her voice slightly shaking as she tries to keep a calm face.

"I'm trying" He grunts.

I glance at Alexander who runs a hand through his brown hair roughly. "Let me see that," He snaps, grabbing the bobby pin from him hand and shoving Luke out the way, causing him to stumble to the ground.  

"I'm telling you it's not working. I guess -"

The sound of a click and door opening cuts Luke off. Alexander slowly turns and despite the circumstances we are in he smirks. "You were saying."

Luke rolls his eyes "I was close to opening it" He mutters.

"What do you do on your free time? Jessica asks Alex, raising a brow. He simply shrugs and opens the door wider.

We all step inside into the kitchen, closing the door behind us, and make our way to the living room.

"Okay, Alexander and Brenda you guys check this floor in case there's something here. Luke and Sarah look in her dad's office and her parent's room. Jessica, check the spare rooms, and Eva and I will check Zoe's room." They all nod and turn on their flashlights.

"Anyone else feels like we're in a Scooby Doo movie?" asks Luke as we head up stairs, trying to ease the tension.

Eva and I step inside Zoe's room,  scanning the pink interior, "I'll check this side of the room, and you check that side" She nods.

I head to a small white cabinet in the far corner of the room and open the first drawer. Going through nail polish and makeup among other things that don't seem important. That is until I spot what appears to be a small blue digital camera. I pull it out and flash my light on it as I press the power button. In seconds the screen lights up, displaying the settings. I go over to camera roll, and instantly a picture of Jacob and Zoe stare back at me.  Back when we were kids. 

I can hear Eva on the other side of the room, but my eyes remain glued to the many photos I go through, some which wherein the album Jacobs father gave me. As I go through them I can't help but notice how happy they looked. Each of them smiling, arms wrapped around one another. Was I really the cause of their breakup?

"Li-Amanda!" I jump dropping the camera and turn to the door where Sarah rushes in and turns on the bedroom light, causing me to blink rapidly.

"Look at this," she says. I hear footsteps making their way towards us, stopping beside me.

"What happened what's wrong?" I look at the documents in Sarah's hands.

"It's a written report" She points at the date located on the corner of the page "and it's on the day Jacob ...... " I take the papers.

Missing daughter

"Wait? I thought she was at school that day?" I whisper as I roam over each word. 

"She was. But apparently she left early. Her parents got worried and insisted the police to file a report and look for her since this was the first time shes done this. She also wouldn't respond to their calls. She did't return until early morning."

"Did they ever ask why?"

She nods and point further down on the page "She admitted that she needed to get away but that's about it. Also" She pulls another page "She went to a counselor hours after the accident because of Jacob." My eyes trail the paper and sure enough his name is there written in the statement. "She was a disaster over what happened. But there is no way she could have known what happened to him. News broke out about three hours after. And what is written here claims that her action were caused by something that happened before those three hours."

Patient will not stop crying and attempting to break things. Keeps stating she is sorry. Whenever asked she stays quiet and simply mutters a name Jacob. 

I look up at everyone around me. There face just like mine. Confused. I go to look back at the document until I suddenly notice Eva rooted in front of the drawer beside the bed.

"Eva?" I ask as I slowly walk towards her. She tenses and turns, looking down at what appears to be photos in her hand. One of them crumbled. And one of them seeming to have a note in the back. She then looks up and I see the fear in her eyes as she holds out her shaky hand, handing me the photos.

As I un-crumble the photo and glance at the note. My blood runs cold. Its a picture of me during the football game while the other one with the note in the back is me as Linda. 

"This is not over yet." I read out loud.

Eva  suddenly looks terrified and that moment she bolts- running out of the room.

"Eva!" Yells Alexander, ready to go after her but the sound of a car pulling into the driveway has our attention to the window.

Oh no.

We all run to the window, looking out into the darkness and see a figure stepping out and running towards the house.

No No No

"Eva!" I'm about to run after her, but I'm stopped by Luke's arms wrapped around my waist.

"Let me go!"

"She already left we need to hide."

"You don't know that," I argue but it's too late I hear the front door open followed by footsteps making their way upstairs.

I break out of Luke's hold and run to the light switch. Turning it off. "Go" I point to the closet. They all run in. I'm about to as well, but I notice the documents and camera lying on the floor. I bend down to grab them as I hear a knock on Zoe's door. I hurry to the bathroom in the room closing the door quietly while hearing the bedroom door open.

No, please leave.

"Zoe?" I hear a voice. A man- her father.

"I saw your light on. Did not see your car... Are you in there?"

I don't dare move. 

A phone rings causing me to jump "Hello?"

Silence.

"Yes I'm heading out now... yes yes I going. I got to go Zoe!" I hear footsteps making there way out followed by the door closing, and movement in the next room. Minutes later I hear the front door close and a car racing down the street.

I can feel myself shake as I step out of the bathroom. The closet door opens, and I sigh in relief. It's a good thing that's a walk in closet.

"We need to leave" They nod, rushing out of the room. I glance at the documents in my hand as well as the camera and feel a shiver go down my spine.

Eva.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

76.4K 2.7K 26
Seventeen year old Lou is used to being the popular girl until her dads accident. It put him into a coma and she completely shut herself down causing...
596K 17.5K 102
"If you want to try again, I've learned a few things since then and now I'm sure... I would make it so, so good for you..." Luke pulls back, a troubl...
791K 45K 39
#1 Mystery | #1 Thriller | #1 Young Adult Have you ever known someone more than you know yourself? Known them so inside out that you could finish th...
84.1K 4K 42
"Why the secret?" "Secret? More like secrets. And why do you care anyway?" "Because secrets are like lies, and I always find the truth..." ••••• Elna...