Behind The Walls ✔️

By olamijibanks

THIS IS A BOOK FOR YOUNG ADULTS Young and innocent, Enitan Hassan struggles between family problems and high... More

COPYRIGHT STATEMENT©
Must read before you begin the story
Dedication and content.
Chapter 1
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Get to know me tag!!! Author's version.
Great news for BTW lovers!!!
ASSUAGE - Introduction

Chapter 2

2.1K 237 12
By olamijibanks

Faith's house was not far from the school, it was just an eight-minute walking distance and though mine was a bit farther, we walked home together every day after school. it was always the best time for us to gist, catch up and the eight minutes walk sometimes stretch to fifteen minutes.

"So, how is mum?" I asked her, hoping to hear she is getting better.

"She is getting better but the doctor says she still needs a lot of proper care and rest, I was thankfully spared the boring detail by my dad." she replied, joking at the last bit to make things lighter. That was just how she was, she was the kind of person that would joke with her death to make people feel better.

"She will be fine." I replied her.

"Amen." she said slowing down as we got to her house.

Faith was one of the few rich kids I have met whom most times dont act like one. She was respectful, polite, nice, and down to earth. Hence, it should have never been a surprise that her house was very massive. Yet, I have never been able to get over my amazement ever since I went over to her house for the first time.

I had always wondered about the amount of money that would have been used to construct such a mini-mansion. From the exterior, it looked like a mansion because it was big and a bit tall with flowers decorating the surroundings but once you get inside, it looks like a small condo because it feels so cozy and family-like.

"Will you like to come inside?" She asked, interrupting my thought as she clicked on the doorbell beside the big fine gate protecting little of the house from view.

"Yes, I would have loved to but I have some stuff I need to do at home before my mum gets back." I said to her, declining her offer.

"No problem, see you tomorrow." she said pulling me into a hug just as Adamu; their gateman opened the gate.

"Good afternoon small oga. he greeted Faith before turning to greet me.

"Good afternoon Itan." he said, giving me a big smile.

"Good afternoon, how are you sir? I asked him, giving him a small smile in return.

Im fine my dear. He said cheerfully, chewing something I am positive is kola.

"That good to hear." I said before saying my goodbyes to Faith.

"Bye." she waved as she entered her compound.

Walking the remaining seven minutes walk to my house, I entered a bit short of breath due to the hot sun which unsurprisingly wasnt feeling extremely generous. I breathe a silent sigh of relief as I got to the door fantasizing about the cold water I would take once I get inside. I check under the foot mat for the house key but was surprised not to find it there. Wondering who was home, I knocked on the door.

I was surprised to see my sister open the door. Screaming, I rushed to hug her.

"Sister Temi!!!" I said excitedly.

"When did you get home?" I asked her as I released her from the hug, freeing my arms that were around her.

"This morning, how are you doing?" she asked, a big smile on my face as she released her arms around me.

"I am fine ooh." I said to her as we walked in.

"Haaa, senior girl. I see you have started wearing a long-sleeved shirt and waistcoat." she said, a big smile still on her face.

"Yes ooh, I am now a senior." I replied her smugly, feeling super proud of myself.

"Its not easy." she said, teasing me.

"This one that you came to greet us, I hope theres no problem shaa?" I tease her because she rarely ever came home. Earlier before she gained admission into the university, she used to say she would never come home for holidays because she was tired of home.

"Do you want me to go back ni? she asked playfully.

No, no, of course not. It has just been a while; I have missed you though. I said giving her a tight hug again.

I have missed you too little sis. she said, chuckling.

Should I make you something to eat, what should I cook for you? I asked, playing the host.

I ate already, I boiled rice and made stew. I also remained some for you." she said, an incredulous look on her face, it was a look I have gotten used to on my sisters faces. A look that said that they couldnt believe I was already this grown.

"Thank you." I replied with a grateful smile on my face.

Standing up, I made my way to my room and dropped my bag on the bed before going to the bathroom to shower. As I shower, I thought of my sisters and how much I have missed as I made a mental note to call my eldest sister sometimes that week. I put on a bum short and light top after the shower. Picking up my school uniform, I dropped them in the washing machine on my way to the kitchen.

I served my meal and brought it to the parlor with a cold bottle of water I had taken from the refrigerator. I took my seat opposite my sister who instead of watching the movie on the television was distracted by her phone.

"So, how is school Itan?" she asked, initiating a conversation.

"School is fine, we havent started anything. I told her.

Ooh, thats right, mum told me you just resumed today. She said nodding to herself as she typed something on her phone.

Yea. I said, my voice muffled by the food I was eating.

Hows your best friend; Faith?" she asked.

Shes fine. Her mum had an accident. I told her as I finished my meal.

Ooh really, what happened? How? she asked, shocked.

It was a car accident; she almost lost her legs to it but thankfully she didnt. I said.

Thank God, greet Faith well for me eehn. She said, sympathetically.

"Anyways, hope mum knows you are home?" I asked.

"Yes, I was supposed to come home yesterday but I got held back by the rain, So I called her to tell her I will be home today." she replied.

"Oh, ok then. When are you leaving?" I asked curiously

"Haa haa, Enitan do you want me to leave ni?" she asked, playfully.

"No ooh, I was just curious." I said defending myself.

"I know, I was just pulling your legs. Anyways, we have five days break and it started on Thursday so the school is resuming on Wednesday." she said, still typing on her phone with a goofy look on her face. It was probably one of her numerous boy friends if her expression was anything to go by.

"So short." I mumbled to myself.

"I know, right. That school rarely want us to go for a break, if it was left to them, Im sure we wont go for any break at all. She complained as I wondered if that wasnt what she wanted anymore; not going for a break.

I will be leaving on Wednesday shaa." she added.

"Alright then." I replied, gulping down some water.

"Hope mum is not broke at the moment shaa?, I need money oh." she said as I burst into laughter. I wondered why I hadnt thought of it all along, money was the only reason sister Temi ever came home.

"I don't know ooh but I don't think so." I replied in my little understanding.

"Thank God, because I need money badly." She said again.

I was still chuckling as I said "you are always broke."

"You will understand when you get to university." she said smiling at me, a smile that held a secret and a promise. At that moment, I somehow wished I was in the higher institution so I could understand on time.

"I have heard you ooh." I said, taking my plates to the kitchen to wash.

Returning to the parlor, I took my phone from the center table where I had dropped it before leaving for school in the morning. Checking the time, I realized it was time for asr (4.00 pm) prayers and I had not even observed Suhr (2.00 pm) solat.

Standing up, I made my way to the bathroom. Made ablution, grabbed a wrapper, and long hijab from my room before heading to the parlor to pray.

"Aren't you going to pray." I asked my sister who was still busy with her phone. In all honesty, I could never understand her obsession with her phone.

"No, I'm off solat." Temi replied me, not even glancing up at me. I shook my head at her as I went ahead with the prayer.

Mom got home around an hour later when I was watching the rib-cracking jenifa's diary series on my phone.

"Welcome ma." we greeted her as I took her bag from her.

"Thank you." she replied, collapsing on the chair as she asked me to get her cold water from the freezer.

"Im so tired. Temi, prepare amala, and warm the soup. Enitan, when she is done cooking, come and call me in my room." she complained as she stood up a few minutes later, retiring to her room.

Sister Temi got to work immediately, putting water on the fire and also bringing out all the utensils and the flour she needed. I joined her in the kitchen and helped her bring out the soup from the freezer.

I warmed it on the second space on the gas cooker as we chatted about random stuff.

"Is dad around?" she asked me as she turns the amala.

"No, but I think mum said he is arriving soon." I said to her.

"I pray he doesn't arrive till I leave." she said as an uncomfortable silence hung over us the kitchen. Deep down my heart too, I wished the same.

I went to call mum immediately we were done and we ate dinner as early as 7.15 pm. I and mum performed maghrib (7.00 pm) solat and Ishai (8.00 pm) solat once we were done eating.

I turn over as my alarm rang signaling it was 5.00 am already. I stretched my hands lazily across the bed as I search for my phone. I found it under the pillow and switch off the alarm with my eyes half-closed. Happy to have switched off the alarm, I settled back on my bed comfortably covered by a duvet. I was back in dreamland when I felt someone hit me hard.

"Itan! Itan! Itan!! wake up, it's time for solat." My mum said, her loud voice not pleasant to my ears as I pulled the duvet over my head, groaning softly.

"Ok, ma." I muttered as I sat up, yawning.

"Ekaaro ma. (good morning ma.)" I greeted her as I got off my bed and knelt, my eyelid heavy.

"Kaaro oko mi, shey dada lo ji? (Good morning my daughter, I hope you slept well?) she asked, launching into a series of prayer while I seize the opportunity to close my eyes again, as I muttered an inaudible Amen.

She left the room a few minutes later, instructing me to go and take my bath after I finish praying.

I entered the bathroom and sat on the water closet, I released my full bladder as I start to doze off on the water closet. My mom's voice woke me up as I hear her yell something at me from the kitchen. In a rush, I quickly made ablution and left the toilet before she comes after me.

I went back to my room and picked up the long hijab and wrapper I had used the previous day. Still yawning, I switched on the light and performed solat beside my bed. It took me five minutes but by then my eyes were wide open. Walking out of the room, I went to check on mum who was in the kitchen.

I left the kitchen without her noticing I had entered. Walking into the sitting room, I took a look around and noticed how empty our house was. I took a seat on one of the chairs as I remembered how our house was always full of laughter, argument, complaints, and how lifeless it seems now.

I went back in time as I recall how the house was always full of life with my 3 elder sisters; Sister Ibukun, Sister Ifelade, and Sister Temitope. Although I was still a bit young then, I remember how sister Ife and Temi would always play card games while sister Ibukun would cook sumptuous meals, looking after us when mum had already gone to work. We would play games, answer quiz and riddles while the winner gets a biscuit as the price.

Sometimes, I found myself thinking of how lonely my mum will be when the time for me to go to the university arrives.

"Itan, I hope you have already started taking your bath. Don't sleep there ooh." My mum shouted in remainder as she broke through my train of thought and I rushed to the bathroom.

I spent a few minutes before getting out to prepare for school, I was in my room putting on my school uniform when I heard my mom bidding me and my sister goodbye.

"Motinlo ooh (I'm on my way out ooh.)" She shouted from the sitting room.

"Odabo ma (bye ma.)" I replied, aware my sister would still be sleeping. Checking the time, I was a bit relieved to see it is just 6:20 am.

"Enitan, your registration fee, and pocket money are on the dining table beside your food." She yelled at the last minute, shutting the door behind her. I shook my head at my typical Nigerian mom as I thought aloud.

"Always the one with loud voices."

I wore my wristwatch checking the time, it reads "6:30 am" as I walked to the dining room.

I took the money from the table, putting it in my pocket as I carried my breakfast and sat down in front of the television to eat.

"Sister Temi. I'm already leaving." I shouted on my way out.

"Okay okay, I'm coming." She said, her voice sounded sleepy as she staggered down the stairs, yawning.

"You better go and sleep back. Sleepy head." I teased as I ran out of the house.

Walking into the school at 7:30 am was not a first for me because I was an early bird. My best friend; Faith unfortunately was the opposite thus we don't come to school together in the morning, it was like an unspoken rule between us.

We never do. Also, mornings were my favorite part of the day because when walking to school very early, I always feel at peace and I also love the quietness, it always gives me time to think and reflect even if its on stupid things.

Since the assembly was not starting for the next 25 minutes, I walked to the class we had occupied the day before to wait before the assembly started.

After a few minutes of idly sitting in the classroom, staring at some boys who were busy shouting and arguing about the previous day football game. The bell rang and we all rushed to the assembly ground, the prefects led the assembly with devotion songs and soon we all left the grounds but not before the principal mini-speech.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

20.8K 3.3K 41
~~~~(Mature)~~~~ "We're worlds apart..." "But I'm right here." "I'm far, farrrrrrrrrr far beneath your class..." "And so? I don't care." He shrugged...
77.6K 10.4K 58
This story is based on a true life story. Adesua is forced to attend a new school against her wishes. Fortunately for her, she finds her first love i...
41.8K 12.5K 41
When Dieko's father becomes a drunkard overnight, her mother becomes a punching bag but she endures it hoping it will all end soon but when he then b...
4.2K 687 19
After being rejected by her high school crush, Jumoke decides to leave her past behind and focus more on being a working woman. But when fate decides...