The Hands of Fate

By YourTypicalNovelist

In the kingdom of Allenia, it is a law that royals marry royals, and peasants marry peasants. The kingdom has... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Names of Spells in The Hands of Fate

Chapter 22

2K 88 19
By YourTypicalNovelist

Farah had hid the ring, hanging it on the silver lining of her necklace so that, like the necklace, it couldn't be seen. The maid had placed the necklace on the inside of her maids attire, now with the ring hanging from it also. Although she had to admit, this was a risky move, she still did so, as the necklace gave her a feeling of somewhat peace and contentment. So, she kept the necklace and ring where they were, unseen so no one would suspect a thing. Of course her fellow maids never asked about it, as the maids were either nipping her about her relationship with Caspian or saying nothing to her, as she was finally being spoken to again after her punishments were fulfilled; but it was also because the pendant was invisible to them.

Though all seemed well and good, there was trouble yet to come, as Amara was as angry as ever at Farah after seeing Caspian hand the maid the ring. She had immediately began plotting, trying to find ways to get the maid out of the palace, though it somehow seemed that after the punishment Farah was acting almost better than usual. She seemingly even stayed away from Caspian, but that wouldn't stop Amara, nothing would. Amara had always been somewhat jealous of Farah, as it seemed that the maid had already taken over Caspian's heart even before he met the Princess. Even though Amara would never admit it, she felt that Farah was better than her somehow. And the only way to solve a problem such as that was to get rid of her; but she couldn't kill her, as Caspian would catch on quickly, and not only that; but also because she was no murderer, for she was a princess for God's sake.

So, after a few days of pacing and thinking, she concluded on what was to be done with Farah.

Amara had been meeting secretly with a "sorcerer" that was from out of the kingdom for a while now. In reality, she had summoned him to work for her, desperate to find ways to get rid of the maid. He was a young, handsome, and powerful man who knew just how to help Amara with her problems. She hated to admit it, but she was beginning to develop feelings for the heartless man, as he always seemed eager to ensue chaos in Allenia, all while helping her. He was the one who made the ring for Caspian.

His name, was Alatar. He claimed to be even more powerful than the wizard of Allenia, whom, according to Alatar, went by the name of Strizor. Even at the beginning, Amara knew that she could trust Alatar, unlike Strizor, who would try and stop her from banishing Farah from the lands. She just wanted Farah out of the picture, was that too much to ask?

So, when Amara went to Alatar to tell him of her wishes, he obliged, telling her what she was to do to make sure that Farah left for good. Amara had smiled cruelly, agreeing almost instantly. She decided she wanted to fulfill this act as soon as possible, and so, that night she had one of the maids tell Farah that she was wanted down in the gardens to meet with Caspian. Amara knew that it would take some convincing, since Farah knew Caspian oh so well. She made sure that the maid made it sound very appealing to Farah, as if it were something Caspian would actually say; but sadly, he hadn't said that, as he was asleep in his bed and wouldn't be meeting with the maid until she was in the royal hall where she was going to leave Allenia forever.

Before Farah entered the gardens, Amara set down a glittering golden ring, which bore markings and symbols along with diamonds and other jewels. She made sure that it was seen, but not too seen, so that Farah would think someone dropped it when trying to flee with it. The Princess then crept off, going to find the royal guards.

Farah soon entered the garden, wearily. She had no idea as to why Caspian wanted her here so early in the morning, as the sun wasn't even beaming down upon the lands yet. Farah rubbed her eyes, yawning, then deciding to go further into the garden to try and find Caspian to get this meeting over with. She knew deep down that something was wrong, but ignored the feeling as she was too groggy to pay attention to her senses. The maid made sure that her steps were soft and quiet as her bare feet touched the silky smooth grass. Her hair was up in a messy bun as it always was at night so that it wouldn't get ruined with her tossing and turning in the bed. She had decided to put on her maids outfit so that if she was indeed caught, she wouldn't be wearing her sleeping garments, which only consisted of a large white 'dress' that was really just an over sized blouse.

Just as Farah turned to leave, sure that Caspian wasn't around, a glittering shape caught her eye. Farah furrowed her brow, unsure why this glimmering object was just left in the middle of the gardens.

As Farah bent over to pick it up, she gasped, recognizing the piece of jewelry instantly, as it was Caspian's wedding ring. Farah put the decorated gold band in her palm, trying to understand why such a valued piece of jewelry was there. Her eyes widened as she suddenly seemed to come to the conclusion that someone had taken the ring from Caspian and was trying to get away with it. She stood instantly, turning around to go report to the royals, sure that this was Amara's doing, when she came face to face with two of them.

"That's her, she stole my fiancees wedding ring!" Amara cried out, pointing at Farah, who was then gripped by both arms and dragged to the royal halls, after taking the ring from her palm. Farah's face was a mix of anger, shock and horror. She tried to pull against the guards, shouting out remarks, trying to tell them that she hadn't done anything, but they wouldn't listen. They finally let her go in the middle of the royal hall where two empty thrones sat. The guards stood behind Farah as she was on her knees forcibly. She stared at the ground, worry and fear now in her expression, as she had no idea what was to happen to her.

The sound of footsteps soon erupted down the hallway, and Caspian was in the doorway looking at Amara who stood between the King and Queen's thrones, and then to Farah who was knelt down a few feet away from the Princess. Caspian clenched his fists, seeing the guards.

"What is the meaning of this? Amara, let her go, she's done nothing wrong," Caspian hissed in anger, both angry because he hated Amara and because he hated being woken up this early.

"Oh, are you sure about that? Because I found her in the gardens holding your ring, why don't you show him, Farah?" Amara sneered at the maid whose head still faced the ground, but since her hair was pulled back her face was still visible in the dim lighting of the lots of candles. Caspian walked over to his friend, looking down at her.

"Did you?" Caspian asked softly, hoping he would get the answer that he wanted, but sadly, he did not as Amara spoke up.

"Are you really asking her? As if she would tell the truth. Caspian, dearest, I believe she's been lying this whole time. Now show him the ring Farah!" Amara barked, stepping down from the middle of the thrones, coming up beside Caspian. Farah, although trembling, looked up at Caspian. Her emerald eyes were teary and filled with fear.

"C-Cas, I-I didn't. Please b-believe me, I w-would never-"

"Shush, maid! You have proof that you did do such a thing!" Amara cut off Farah, stomping to the guard on Farah's left and taking something from him, before presenting it to the Prince. Caspian frowned, looking closely at the object. When he suddenly realized that it was in fact his ring, he stared down at Farah with a look of shock, and somehow, heartbreak.

"Caspian, you have to believe me! It.... I.... I didn't!" Farah yelled out as a tear fell down her face. Caspian looked at both Amara and Farah for a moment, then giving Farah an I know it wasn't you, but what can I do? look. Farah saw the sympathy in his eyes and cupped her face in her hands, covering it, knowing her fate was to be terrible for this; although it was something that she did not do, but was, in fact, being framed for.

More footsteps were heard from down the hall and the King and Queen emerged from the doorway. They both looked at the King and Queen instead of Farah, who's face was hidden. Amara rushed over to them quickly, but Caspian stay where he was, not wanting his family to harm Farah.

Although he couldn't hear Amara or his parents very well, he could sense that the conversation wasn't going very well, for him at least. He wanted to kneel beside Farah and cradle her in his arms, but with the guards and his parents around, he knew that he would be scolded and shouted upon. So he stood there, watching as she shook vigorously. She seemed to know that the odds were not in her favor, and, so did he. Caspian averted his gaze away from Farah as he heard his parents sit down in their royal thrones. Though they didn't wear the normal exquisite clothing that they would wear during the day, the clothes that they had put on still resembled their character and ranking. Caspian's, on the other hand, were plain and bland, but he didn't care, much to his family's dissatisfaction.

"Raise your head, Farah. You are to be spoken to," the Queen spoke, and Farah obliged, raising her head shakily. Fresh wet tears were now plastered on her face, and they somehow seemed to make her look cleaner than before as her clear skin was visible where the tears had trailed down.

"You, Farah, have disobeyed our trust many times. But never like this. We would've never imagined you betraying us as you have now. You have disrespected your name along with Adeline's, and you should be ashamed of yourself. Due to this you would usually be killed, but, we had decided among ourselves that you are not to be beheaded or killed in any way shape or form," the King stood, glaring down at Farah. She watched him with wide eyes, her pure and kindhearted complexion making Caspian feel terrible, as he knew she would never do this to the royal family. Or anyone for that matter. At the words of her not being killed, Caspian's spirit lifted, but it was crushed once again as the King continued. "You are, though, to be exiled from this land for all eternity. Thus meaning that we never wish to see you step foot in Allenia ever again. And if you do, then you are to be killed immediately. We take no chances with anyone, miss Farah, so do not expect us to play kind with you. Especially since this is not the first time you have disobeyed orders and gone against us royals. Hence, there is a carriage waiting for you outside so that we know you will be leaving immediately. You are not to pack as you have no valuables, and you are not to say good-bye to anyone," the King spoke, eyeing the maid, before continuing. "Do you have anything to say to us before you leave?"

"Yes, your highness," Farah stood, her legs almost collapsing under her weight as she shook so much. "I would like to say this one thing, and that is that I have done nothing wrong. Believe who you may, but remember a title doesn't make the person, your highness. For I, as a maid, know much more than most; and although you refuse to listen to my pleadings, and seem to care not that I, one of your most hardworking maids is now being forced out because a woman whom you know nothing of, has claimed that I have done something wrong. While I was holding the ring, I will tell you that I found it outside in what seemed to be an attempted theft. You need not tell me, but, your highness, if I had the same ranking as her majesty, Princess Amara, whom would you believe? Amara or I?" She paused, watching the King as confusion now shimmered in his eyes. "I believe I already know the answer," she continued. "But sadly, you seem to care not now because I'm just some maid to you. But remember me when you learn the truth, your highness, please promise me this. For the title does not make the person, it is the person that makes the title. Good-bye your majesties," Farah bowed, tears beginning to run down her face as she stood from her bow, seeing Caspian for what may be the last time ever. Farah then left, turning on her heel and heading for the doors, but not before beginning to sob quietly. Although she was determined not to be heard, as she didn't want to hurt Caspian even more, some sobs still escaped her lips. She made sure not to look back, sure that Caspian was already hurt enough; but Caspian wished she had turned back. He wished that she would see him and look into his eyes and tell him that she would be back soon enough, but he knew she wouldn't.

Holding back tears himself, Caspian watched her figure disappear like a ghosts' behind the corner, never to be seen again.

Or so he thought.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10.8K 214 26
The drums of war have just been sent roaring!! Now whom is my Father's grand army fighting against???, Well no one is entirely sure, but to instill m...
75.2K 6.9K 33
After narrowly escaping an assassination, a new king in disguise escapes to his childhood home only to discover that his unwanted betrothed has been...
2.5K 413 25
"Ever done it with a peasant?" He asked towering over me, his chest blocking my vision of the sun. "Ever done it with a prince?" I asked. "No, but...
816K 35.7K 52
{Book One: Abdallah series} "I'm sorry jawad" I stammered feeling his warm breath fanning my face, and his dark eyes boring into mine, with hate evid...