When Stars Align || G. Lafaye...

بواسطة aubinwhys

"Don't leave like this." The words weren't from family, nor from friends, but from within. Could she really... المزيد

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22

Chapter 19

1.4K 63 41
بواسطة aubinwhys

thanks for 50k lovies 😘😘 ill try to keep the updates coming

✧ ✧ ✧

No sooner had the snow melted than Lafayette was packed and ready to keep riding south.

"Can't stay even another day?" It was a sort of pleading grin that rested on Thomas' face right beneath raised eyebrows, and Lafayette chuckled, shaking his head.

"I am afraid not. It is nearly Christmas, and I need to watch out for mutiny. As much as I wish I could spend ze season with ze two of you," --he paused at this, meeting my eye, flashing me a small grin-- "ze war 'as to come first."

Thomas sighed, running a hand through his curls, and plastered on an exaggeratedly sad face. "Well, just know that we're gonna miss you. Christmas isn't gonna be the same."

"'We'?" I repeated quizzically, and Thomas raised an eyebrow. "Thomas, I may not be a general," --Lafayette shot me a wink at this-- "but I am still fighting in ze war. It is not going to win itself."

Thomas' jaw dropped, his face the picture of (quite obviously fake) indignation. "Don't tell me now I've lost both of you!"

I chuckled. "I think I can manage to stay a few more nights. Just... not too long. Duty calls."

Thomas hummed his approval. "Alright. Better than nothin'." He turned to Lafayette, offering him a hand to shake with a genuine smile. "Good luck down there fightin'. Show 'em what France has got."

Lafayette grinned, clasping Thomas' hand between both of his, shaking it heartily. "Do not worry. When I am done, zey will wish I 'ad not started."

"That's what I like to hear." The pair both had something of a violent glint in their eyes, and there was a clear understanding between the two that couldn't quite be read as Lafayette took a step back, turning instead to you.

"I 'ope zat zis will not be goodbye until ze end of ze war," he said softly, giving me a sad smile.

"I suppose we share zat interest, zen," I replied, matching his expression. I bit my lip as he stepped forward, pulling me into a tight hug, and I held him close.

"Au revoir, mon amour," he whispered, and I smiled.

"Remember, Lafayette, no matter what 'appens at war, you are still you. 'Old onto zat," I murmured, and he pulled away slightly, wearing a melancholy expression.

"Ze same goes for you," he said, resting his forehead against mine, "You are worth so much more zan just another soldier. You always will be. Toujours, mon amour."

Je'taime rested on the tip of my tongue as I smiled, but I instead opted for, "Merci, Lafayette. Au revoir."

He pulled away with a small smile, before turning to pick up his bags. "Thank you again for ze 'ospitality, Thomas. I will not forget it. If you are ever in France, you must allow me to return ze favor."

He grinned. "Maybe I will."

"Au revoir." And with that, he turned to pull open the double doors at the front of the house, allowing a gust of freezing wind to rush into the house, and he squinted at the ferocity of the day. The snow had melted under the bright sun, but it was hardly warmer. Still, he stepped out, slipping his bags into the sack he had slung over his horse in front of its saddle, and proceeded to mount it. He waved to us as he took one last look back at the manor, and we waved back before he began riding off.

Thomas closed the doors with a sigh, and the minute they fell into place on the doorframe, I turned to him wearing an urgent look.

"You have to get me out of 'ere as soon as possible without Lafayette seeing. My things are upstairs, under ze bed, packed. Is zere a back exit? One where 'e will not see me if I am going ze same way as 'im?"

Thomas' eyes widened. "Wait, what? Hold on, I thought you were stayin' a few more nights."

I sighed, pinching the bridge of my nose. "It... is a long story. I do not 'ave time to explain."

"Short version?"

I huffed. "I 'ave been at war disguised as someone by ze name of Major-General Levi King, and I am supposed to be at Lafayette's camp zis evening for a meeting. But if I show up after 'im in a few days, exactly when he knows I am leaving 'ere, too many things will 'ave piled up. 'E would 'ave to be an idiot to not realize it was me."

He frowned, sighing. "So I am losin' both of you right now?"

I let out an exasperated groan and ran a hand through my hair. "Thomas! Zat is not ze point!"

"Alright, alright!" He raised his hands in surrender, though I didn't miss the grin creeping onto his face. "There's a back exit, goes through the grounds and into the woods. You'll be able to avoid him through there."

I breathed a sigh of relief, pulling him into a hug. "Oh, merci, Thomas." I pulled away, holding him by the shoulders with my eyes wide, my movements rushed. "I need to change."

With that, I rushed up the stairs.

It was maybe ten minutes later that I emerged, chest bound, fake glasses adorning my face, hair tied back and tucked under a hat.

"Thomas?" I called down to him, and he walked lazily out of the dining room, holding a cup of coffee.

"Yeah, darlin'?"

"Where is ze back exit?"

"Here, I'll show ya." He beckoned for me to follow, and I rushed down the stairs after him. When I finally fell into step with him again, he spoke. "Your horse is gonna be in the stables around back here, you can get him on your way out."

"Merci, Thomas. For zis, and for taking me in for the past few days." I smiled warmly at him, and he returned it, shooting me a wink.

"Of course. It's the least I can do when you're out there winnin' the war for me." I snorted, rolling my eyes, and he chuckled. "I'm serious! And on that note, I gotta say, the disguise is better than I expected."

I hummed in agreement. "Ze thick glasses 'elp, non?"

"Yeah, they do." He pursed his lips as he glanced over, as though considering the getup. "That along with hiding your hair, and I guess you could kinda pass for a man."

"Thank you...?" I said slowly, and he laughed as we reached his back door.

"Don't mention it." He winked as he held the door open for me, "Don't sweat it, though. I already know you aren't, so you wouldn't have me convinced."

"Tell zat to Lafayette," I muttered, going out to the stables, pulling my coat tighter around me. He clucked his tongue as he lead me around to where York was tied up in the stables. I smiled as I rushed over to him.

"'Ey, boy. 'Ave you missed me?" He whinnied lightly as I stroked his neck, and I walked over to throw my bag onto his back. I untied him, wincing slightly at how tight the knot was as I pried it apart. Poor guy had been tied up in that for the past few days. I dropped the rope before hoisting myself into York's saddle and smiled at Thomas.

"I guess zis is goodbye, zen?"

His eyes widened, and I could almost see him get hit by a sudden thought. "Wait, hold on for a minute."

He rushed into the house and emerged a few moments later holding a small burlap bag. I furrowed my brow.

"Qu'est-ce que c'est?" I said without thinking, and upon seeing his confused look, translated, "What is this?"

He grinned. "Well, it's almost Christmas, and I like to think I know how the war gets sometimes. Not too fun, huh?"

I shook my head, and he continued, "anyway, it's a few loaves of sweet bread and a couple small cakes. You're the one fightin' for our independence, I figure you deserve a nice Christmas, y'know?"

I smiled. "Thank you, Thomas."

He nodded, tucking it into the bag I had slung over York's back. "Anytime, Y/N."

I bent down on York's side, giving him the half-hug I was able to, considering the fact that I was, y'know, on a horse.

We shared a grin before he nodded to the road before me. "Now, go on. Don't want Lafayette to beat you to camp, right?"

I chuckled. "Right. I will see you as soon as I can."

"Bye, Y/N." He winked, and I rode off with a grin, prodding York to go as fast as he could. I had no time to lose.

✧ ✧ ✧ ✧

It wasn't that far of a ride to camp, a few hours going relentlessly at a quick canter. I was sure I had worn out poor York, and guilt about that fact was nagging me the whole ride, but I couldn't let up. If I didn't arrive before Lafayette, it'd look too suspicious. Luckily for me, it had appeared he was leaving at hardly more than a walk.

I was met at the opening of the camp by an armed guard and an aimed gun. I groaned internally.

"Who goes there?" was the shout that came from below me, and I drew York around to the side so I could address the man.

"Major-General Levi King of the northern division. I'm here for a meeting with Major-General Lafayette." His eyes widened, likely with recognition of the name, and he moved his gun, standing at ease, before saluting me.

"Of course, sir. Forgive me, we've had to take extra precautions after having caught two British spies in a week," he said, slight anxiety showing through his expression. "Please, come in."

He stood to the side of my horse, allowing me by, and I thanked him warmly.

As I slowly rode further in, I was met by who I guessed was an aide toward the center of camp.

"Can I help you, sir?" He was a small man, appeared to still be a teenager, and I smiled.

"Yes, please. I'm here for a meeting with Lafayette. The name's Levi King."

He raised his eyebrows with a smile. "Of course. He's expecting you. You can bring the horse right this way."

I dismounted York and began to lead him alongside me by his reins behind the aide.

"I'm Andrew," he introduced himself, and I smiled. "Lafayette is still on his way back from a meeting with General Washington, but he should arrive within a few hours. You can tie your horse up here."

He motioned to their makeshift stables (which was surprisingly nicer than ours up north; a contained little fenced in area), and I tied York up.

"So where should I wait for Lafayette to get here? Is there anyone I need to talk to?" I kissed York's neck softly as I turned back to the aide with a raised eyebrow.

"Yes, of course. You can set up in our office. Let me show you to it," he said, pointing toward a small building in the center of camp. I raised my eyebrows; their camp certainly was more developed than ours. I supposed we had likely been moving more often. I followed him through.

"Your camp is... pretty impressive. It's nicer than ours up north, for sure," I commented, and he beamed.

"I know. We're incredibly proud of it. We've managed to hold this ground for quite a while, and have been building out as we slowly push the British east."

I chuckled. "Major-General Lafayette certainly is talented."

"I'll let him know you thought so." He grinned at me as we reached the building. "Anyway, you can set up in any empty room. The end of the hall is the general's quarters, so he'll be returning here when he arrives at camp. His second and third in command may drop by at some point."

"Thank you, Andrew." I shook his hand, and we parted ways.

I pushed the door to the office open warily, almost as though I thought something would jump out at me at any moment. Then again, we were at war. It could.

I passed a few cluttered rooms filled with papers and books stacked high on bookshelves that looked like they might collapse, along with poorly made desks, before I reached a nearly empty room. It was the second to last.

A single desk, a bookshelf, and a perfectly made bed were the only occupants of the room. I supposed I couldn't have wandered into Lafayette's quarters by accident -- the space didn't look nearly lived-in enough for that -- but it looked set up as a living space. I wondered what it was used for when I wasn't there.

I dropped my bags by the bed, making sure to tuck the bag of bakery from Thomas well under it, out of where someone might come to disturb it. I shook my shoes off onto the dusty wooden floor and wiggled my toes at the small feeling of freedom from the boots. I didn't dare shrug off my jacket, though.

I couldn't help myself as I wandered over to the bookshelf, smiling a bit at the three copies of Locke's Two Treatises of Government. I couldn't deny I appreciated seeing it there.

Just beyond that, there lie what appeared to be a collection of the works of Lord Byron. Even at war, who didn't have time for the romantics?

I cracked the spine of the copy, a leather-bound book, gilded words embossed into its cover. I opened it few pages in, to a page marked with a folded piece of paper.

Out fluttered a letter I'd sent Lafayette a few months before, with something tucked in it. Upon closer inspection, I found one of my drawings from Washington's training grounds, something he'd asked me to draw for him. I smiled; he'd really kept that around.

I folded them back up, laying them on the desk, and my smile only grew when I saw the page they were tucked into.

She walks in beauty, like the night
Of cloudless climes and starry skies

"Hey." I must've jumped a foot in the air as a voice came from behind me, and I whipped my head around to look at whoever it was. The voice hadn't sounded French; it was clearly not Lafayette.

"What do you think you're doing?" The deep voice belonged to none other than Hercules Mulligan, leaning up against the doorway with his arms folded and an eyebrow raised, and I had to resist the urge to either run and hug him or apologize profusely. Instead, I drew myself up to my full height (still, much smaller than him) and put on an unamused expression, my arms folded.

"I could ask you the same," I countered, "Do you know who you're talking to?"

He snorted. "Obviously not, otherwise I wouldn't have asked." He hesitated, taking a step into the room. "Who are you?" He was holding his left hand in such a way that he appeared to be holding something on his hip, and my eyes widened slightly as I realized that he likely saw me as an intruder and was reaching for a holstered gun. I was edging on dangerous territory. It was time to just answer the question.

I huffed, doing my best to maintain the annoyed facade, despite my eyes being trained on his hand slowly drawing a weapon. "Major-General Levi King. Northern division. And you are?"

He froze. "Wait, really?" I nodded slowly. "Well shit, man, I'm sorry, that's totally my bad." I breathed a sigh of relief as he released what I could now see was clearly a pistol back into its holster and smiled, crossing the room toward me. He offered me his hand to shake. "Hercules Mulligan. Lafayette's right hand. I hope we didn't get off on the wrong foot; Laf talks about you way more than he has any business talking about you."

I gladly shook his hand, smiling warmly. Thank god I haven't alienated one of my closest friends. "Nice to meet you. And don't worry, you're not the first guy here to have pulled a gun on me on sight."

He raised an eyebrow, cringing slightly. "The guard?" I nodded, and he chuckled lightly, "Sorry about that; necessary precaution. You get it."

I chuckled. "Of course. And I've heard a good bit about you as well. And not only from Lafayette." He raised an eyebrow at this, and I continued, "Laurens and Hamilton? I met them at the north camp. They seem like good guys."

His face lit up at this, but he only raised an eyebrow. "Oh shit, you met them? I don't know whether to apologize or tell you that's incredible." I chuckled, as did he, and he continued, "Nah, I'm just kidding. I love those guys, seriously."

I hesitated, giving him a soft smile. "Yeah. Yeah, as do I."

The room fell silent for just a split second before he broke it.

"Well, anyway, I'll let you get back to getting settled in. Lafayette should be back any time now. It's nice to meet you, King." He grinned at me as he made his way back to the door.

"Yeah, you too, Mulligan." I gave him a short wave along with my small smile just before he turned the corner out.

And just like that, I was alone again, with nothing to do for the first time in months. I decided then and there that I liked visiting camps where I wasn't in charge. I pulled out my sketchbook, took a seat cross-legged on the bed set up for me, and just started drawing. I didn't start out knowing what I wanted to draw, but it didn't take long for it to become a scene from home, a scene out riding with my father, wind in my hair and Rachel's saddle beneath me. I began drifting off a few times, and had to shake myself awake after my quill smeared ink across the page and onto my legs.

Despite it being early afternoon, the room was dark, my clothes were warm, and my bed was comfortable, so I didn't quite catch myself soon enough the fourth time before I drifted off to sleep.

✧ ✧ ✧ ✧

A thud came from behind me.

"Mon dieu, putain!" a voice hissed. I grunted in discontent with being woken up, squeezed my eyes shut, burrowed further into the bed below me.

A drawer slowly slid shut, and I furrowed my brow, finally realizing that I should be aware of whatever's happening behind me as I was slowly eased into consciousness. I opened my eyes just a bit, squinting at the little light seeping into the room, particularly the few candles and lantern lit sitting on the desk as a I rolled over.

A small groan escaped my lips as I squeezed my eyes shut, slowly stretching my arms out and beginning to prop myself up into a sitting position. As I finally allowed the light to enter my vision, letting my eyes focus as I slowly opened them, I saw Lafayette sitting at my desk with an expression somewhere between guilty and panicked.

I hummed my acknowledgement of him as I let myself flop onto the mattress on my back, a sleepy smile adorning my lips. "Hey, Lafayette."

He smiled, the poorly concealed nervousness not leaving his face, though he did look at least a little relieved that I was happy to see him. "Bonjour, Levi."

I yawned quietly as I sat up, propping myself up on my hands behind me. "When'd you get here?"

"Just about an hour ago," he said, his smile softening as he watched me rub the sleep from my eyes. "I... I am sorry for waking you, I was just trying to take a look at one of ze books I 'ave stored in your room."

"Yeah? Watcha reading?" I blinked hard, trying to blink away the blurriness in my eyes from just waking up. I reached over onto my bedside table, feeling around for my fake glasses. They were just about the only thing I had for a disguise, other than the clothes and hairstyle, and it seemed like I was cutting it too close without them when Lafayette had seen me as me just a few hours prior.

"Ah... poetry, from Lord Byron," he said hesitantly, and as I put my glasses on, I smirked slightly, raising an eyebrow. I raked a hand through my hair as I met his eyes.

"Oh, yeah, I know Byron," I said as I stifled a yawn, "She walks in beauty, like the night--"

"Of cloudless climes and starry skies," he cut me off, finishing the opening to the poem. "Oui, I 'ave always loved zat one."

"I noticed," I said, not breaking eye contact as his eyes widened slightly, "What? I did some looking through your books when I got here." My tone was innocent, but I was enjoying watching him squirm.

His dark skin hid the blush that must have been there, if his wide eyes and hand scratching the back of his neck were anything to go off of. I shot him a wink. "I'm a bit more observant than you seen to think."

As much as I was enjoying him squirm, I turned away, giving him a moment to regroup, rolling my shoulders, tying my hair back.

"So, when did you get here?" I asked, stifling a yawn. He shrugged.

"An hour ago. Per'aps less."

I paused, didn't respond as a thought struck me. He only stared at me, an eyebrow raised as I knit my brow tightly, focused intently on a wrinkle in my blanket. "It's Christmas Eve!"

He seemed to stifle laughter at this, a grin splitting across his face. "Not exactly."

"What do you mean?" I looked up at him, slightly excited but mostly confused. "Yesterday was the 23rd. That makes today Christmas Eve."

He laughed, running a hand through his hair, shaking several strands of his ponytail loose. "Sorry, but it is still ze 23rd. It is not a different day zan when you fell asleep, amour."

I paused but realized he was right, and began to let out a heavy sigh. But it wasn't long before the both of us froze. I was almost afraid to look at him, could see his eyes widening in the corner of my vision. "What... did you just call me?"

He inhaled sharply. My head was beginning to spin. "I... Um... I didn't mean to-- I just--"

"Nevermind," I said quickly, blinking hard as though it would clear my head. Things appeared to be spiraling out of my control. "Anyway, it's almost Christmas Eve," I said quietly.

"Oui." The room was so quiet that I could hear my own heart pounding and his swallowing hard. "So, um, did 'ercules stop by? 'E said 'e met you earlier."

I grinned, looking up. "Yeah, he did. Had some nice things to say about North Camp; I think I like him so far."

He chuckled. "Good. 'E is mon meilleur ami down 'ere; I would 'ate if ze two of you did not... 'ow you say, 'hit it off.'"

"I don't think that should be a problem."

Just as I said it, a knock came from the door to my left, and both Lafayette and I immediately looked over. My eyebrows shot up as I found Nael standing there looking between the two of us with raised eyebrows.

"Bonjour," he said slowly, "I 'ope I am in ze right place?"

"Non," Lafayette said, his face deadpanned, "About five 'undred miles south of it. 'Ead back to north camp immediately."

My brother rolled his eyes with a snort, and Lafayette grinned as he stood up to greet him. "Some welcome."

"It is good to see you, I suppose." He laughed lightly as Lafayette pulled him into a hug, before holding him by the forearms as he released him. "And now what are you doing down in south camp?"

"I was just 'ere to deliver some mail--"

"But when you saw I was here, you couldn't help but stay?" I cut him off as I stood up and joined them by the doorway, raising an eyebrow.

"Actually, more like you spoke and I considered turning back around," Nael shrugged, and I gasped in mock indignation. "Let us be honest; we all know I am only staying for 'ercules."

"'Ow dare you?" Lafayette gasped.

"He is quite charming," I sighed, faking a faraway look, and Nael rolled his eyes.

"Whatever, you two," he chuckled, "I am really just staying because it is nearly Christmas, and I would 'ate to spend it traveling."

"Ah, oui, it is Christmas Eve, non?" Lafayette asked with an eyebrow raised and a poorly repressed grin, giving me a pointed look. I groaned.

"Don't be an ass; midday naps fuck with my internal clock," I whined, and he rolled his eyes, smiling.

"Sure they does, Levi," he chuckled as he shot me a less-than-subtle wink, and I huffed, looking away. Nael met my eyes, and the only message I could possible draw from his expression was "what's happening here?"

"This oughta be an exciting Christmas," I sighed, and Lafayette threw an arm around my shoulders.

"It certainly will be, because you will be spending it with me." I met his warm, dark eyes, the color of firewood that's kept you warm through a cold night, and I couldn't deny that he was absolutely right.

It was going to be a merry Christmas.

واصل القراءة

ستعجبك أيضاً

11.9K 540 29
After one of his best friends, Marquis de Lafayette, leaves to go back to France for a few months, Alexander Hamilton wants to keep in touch. He writ...
26.4K 788 13
"You've gotta move out soon, Lafayette. You're so annoying to have to put up with." "Oh, I'M annoying? Heh. Your dad must not have told you. You're n...
205K 5.6K 34
"Oh Cmon London! It's not that bad! She's just there to help and protect you! After all there are people coming after me and I wanna make sure your o...
2.6K 63 18
I put on the uniform and damn, I looked good. I found an easy band-aid and wrapped it over my chest, which made it smaller. My hair was in a tight bu...