The Air Out Of [Wattys2018 sh...

By sophvergeletti

*wattys 2018 shortlist* *writer's awards sci-fi winner* It all started with an accident. Through vast conso... More

x
xx
xxx
'18
00
01
02
03
04
05
06
07
08
09
10
11
12
13
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
A/N
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
AFTERWORD
00 & 40 resemblance
ix (freebies)
001 - jess
002 - oscar
003 - leo
004 - ellie
NEXT CHAPTER NEWS
WATTYS SHORTLIST
RANKINGS

14

6 5 0
By sophvergeletti

LOUIS WOKE UP TO THE SCENT OF ROTTEN EGGS, a strange surprise if you ask him. One would normally guess that it was a fun-loving daredevil egging someone's house as what you would call, a prank, but the unnecessary act of interfering with one's period of recovery, before an intense two-hour core workout program, followed by Covian practice, was not his cup of tea. At all.

At first, he thought Scar had left their squad room, also known as, Scar's actual house, to egg his house as revenge for all the beautifully crafted playful pranks he had done throughout the past year, but when he opened his window to yell at Scar, he realized that his house was squeaky clean. And also, the fact that Scar would probably be trying to feed his ego with more information to brag about later during this time of crisis.

Jess, however, was not as lucky.

Louis had only found out today that Jess' house was right across from his, and Leo's, two streets down. He nearly felt a pang of guilt for the girl when he found someone egging her house, but seriously, this was Louis, and he simply thought it was all in good nature, so, he stays still and watches.

His window still happens to be open as crouches underneath the frame, his back against the wall. He hears her scoff, "Britney." His mind read blank, who was that supposed to be, and it took him nearly three full minutes to realize this was in fact, bullying. Jess, was still an outcast.

A cylinder-like packaging is thrown in Jess' direction, which she dodges successfully. Louis laughs at the text written on it, Personalized roll-up matte, tear-resistant two-ply polyester fabric embedded between two white vinyl layers, text in devil calligraphy. Price $18.50

Devil calligraphy.

Whoever organized such prank clearly had a loose budget, unlike him, 'broke boy', that one kid everyone hates because he doesn't have enough dollar bills to throw around like a spoiled king. Unfortunately for Jess, however, is the noticeable fact that the eggs are not so easily removable as the poster is disposable. Constant scrubbing of her deft fingers proved insufficient against the stained cement.

Fast forward an hour later, Louis peeks out his window to the sight of Jess and Leo actually making progress cleaning up the hazardous mess. Wait, pause. When did Leo come, swift child, that is, come into the picture? Or did he simply feel guilty for the girl?

Louis slips on the first shirt he finds, reused from three days ago, of course, and some surfer shorts before biking over to Scar's place. Quick note, biking. That's right. Seventeen-year-old Louis had no car or even a vehicle that came close to such. Embarrassing to a certain degree, but motorcycles were becoming the 'in' thing these days. A bike was simply a low-tech, manual, nineties version of it.

The water slaps him cold. A surf at this time has the waters in an aggressive mode, drifting non-experienced passengers away in a swift motion, but this was Louis' forte, and he wasn't going to lose his anchor. He lets out all his anger when he surfs, moving into swift turns, angry curves, stellar quick flips, the water splashes reciprocating his anger. Why an outcast, why Covia, why me?

Maybe he was special, just in a different galaxy.

A tanner, golden boy walks into the squad room, not too early, not too late. Louis feels all eyes on him as he walks through his routine of storing his surfboard in a meticulous manner. Turning around, he speaks. "What?"

"You look tanner than usual," Jess speaks, looking particularly out of breath from all the cleaning she'd been up to this morning.

"Been practicing." He nods, acknowledging her, "Scar?" He trails, sucking in a breath.

"Overslept," Leo confirms.

Ellie stands in the doorway, looking fresher than anyone. Her hair is blown helplessly at her face, accenting her cheekbones. Louis grabs a cup of tea just as Scar rushes back to join the group, he nearly drops the paper cup out of shock. He had never seen Scar so flustered in his lifetime. "Okay, we're all here."

"Scar." Jess says quietly, "Maybe you should take a breather."

"Good joke, let's go." He rolls his eyes slightly playfully, and motions for the others to follow him as he charges into the sea.

Louis follows his command.

"Surfer boy!" Jess calls once their deep into the water, Louis whips his face around. "You and Ellie bring your surfboard to Covia." She claps her hands, "Come on, hustle, hustle!"

"Uh, why?" Ellie asks, "Aren't we all practicing in a 'simulation' like scenario?"

"Not quite." Scar calls from upfront. "Your learning balance and Louis is learning patience. Both crucial in fighting."

"Alright," Louis says. "But Ellie, expect a tan."

"Vitamin C," Leo calls to the duo as we find our friendly, residential portal. "I'm starting to get used to this."

"Hear hear."

It's easier than it seems to slip into Covia without being noticed, given they stay off the perimeter of the palace where everything seems to be going haywire. The citizens don't look as wary as Scar perceived them to be, but nevertheless, there seems to be a silent tension sifting through the air.

"This is it. Our new simulation, I guess." Jess smiles, using the water to create makeshift waves for Ellie and himself. Slowly, her eyes sparkle brightly as her body lifts into a perfect arc. Her legs curve in a relaxed motion, she's learned to control herself, and the waves she makes are almost real. Satisfied, she drops back down to the ground.

Louis starts by showing Ellie the basic position in surfing. Your chest lays on your the board, and your weight is left is on both your toes which are the only part of your lower leg and foot that actually touch the board. "To get up, push up using your hands and toes. Use that arm power." He instructs.

Ellie does as such, but clumsily. "Finish like this." He says.

He turns around to see the newly formed battlefield between Leo and Jess. The fight has just started, with Leo charging straight into Jess' chest. Jess dodges, using the water in her favor. She lifts herself effortlessly off the ground in time, which sends Leo falling face-flat onto the ground.

She doesn't wait. Smart move. She lifts the rock off the ground to attack him. She smiles at it, Louis could only guess a deja vu coming to her. The rock works at first, hitting Leo in on his arm, then leg. It was simply too fast for him. Several small things make one big one, and soon, Leo seems exhausted, but suddenly, almost surprisingly, he grabs ahold of Jess' waist and pulls her down from the levitation.

She switches into self-defense mode, using her powers she pushes her lower abdomen in the air, allowing her to perform an overhead cartwheel, landing with her thighs on his shoulders. She tackles him to the ground.

He's faster, pinning her to the ground almost instantly. It's rehearsed, Louis can tell, but it's used in the correct context. His mind is running, filled with adrenaline. What's going to happen next?

She's channeling her inner willpower. What?

"I am the rock!" Scar yells over the noise of cheering. Louis shoots him a confused look which Scar returns with a shrug.

The silver iris in her eyes is glistening a luminous white. Like a flashlight in the dark. "What the-" Leo yells as his body begins to be lifted off her, Jess' doing, of course. He tries to stand up, but it's too late. She's won, throwing him off her, and now, the water is restraining him.

"I win." She pants, wiping the beads of sweat on her forehead, "Good fight, though. Just exhausting." They hug.

Scar proceeds to give them pointers. "Jess, work on your reflective ability, reaction time. It would've made you less exhausted." He sounded like a coach making a game plan, as if he was speaking to his team, "Remember our motive win the war, not beat a battle. So energy will be very much important."

The trio proceeds to a more elaborate fighting scheme, as Louis brings his attention back to Ellie, who seems to be struggling. He shows her a few, or a lot more times, almost over and over again, before beginning to show slight signs of irritation.

It was normal, but the team had no time for normal.

"Ellie," Louis says irritatedly, he was most definitely not patient. "Put your hands on either side of the board and do a handstand."

"How is that even related?" She was getting pretty discouraged too.

"Please just listen." He tries to make an effort but fails as his expression gets the best of him. Tearing through the fake layer of emotion like a layer of fondant.

"My god, Louis." She yells angrily. "I know I suck, but you don't have to rub it in."

"How is this my fault? I was actually trying. That's the point of this, right? To improve."

"Oh really, tell that to your face."

"Guys." Jess pauses but gets stopped by Scar, who basically whispers for her to let us settle our own differences ourselves because that's the only way that we'll ever become an actual team, that will work effectively together.

Louis and Ellie sat on opposite sides of his board, as he thinks quietly to himself. Is putting Covia at stake really worth this petty fight. He has pride for himself, and his irritated, but sometimes, energetic can only go so far.

"I know we're only thinking about Covia at the moment, but if we're really going to become a team, we should really learn to stand with one another." He whispers over to her.

"I'm pissed."

"I know, Ellie, I do. And I'm pissed as well, but think about it. When your pissed at the world, and not just me, it's the outcasts you and I will both run to. We should be a solid team, because if we aren't the world, this war, will topple us." He sighs, "Outcasts stay outcasts."

She smiles softly, "But outcasts can unite."

"Then they are no longer outcasts, am I right." He laughs, "I know I am, by the way."

"Look, I'm sorry. I'll really try."

"It wasn't just you though, these mistakes take two." Louis faces her, and she does the same. He repeats, "Mistakes take two."

It was then that Louis actually found himself trying harder than ever, and so did Ellie. He never did realize that destruction could just as much be salvation. It was simply the silver lining in every climax.

And he found that they both learned something new, and they both had made a newfound trust in one another, and the others. Because this war was simply theirs to fight, and with a force as strong as the Avinians, they simply had no room for destroying another along with an enemy.

Louis was proud of himself. And it wasn't just him.

[A/N]

P.S. I know a lot of people, including myself, dislike the almost fake-like sounding excuse of a friendship fighting then clicking back into their normal routine way too early and such, but I do understand the fine art of being reconciliatory, and I just wanted to show that it isn't just Covia that binds these teens together, but the fact that outcasts have to stick together to survive.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

58.6K 5.8K 102
Ada, a cashier in a consumer-tech dystopia, uses electro-pulse capabilities on a revenge mission against her father. Along the way, she hopes to disc...
The Island By Amy J.

Science Fiction

118K 8.6K 44
"This is The Island, a prison designed for minors like me- too young to be executed, too old to be reformed, and too much of a stain on humanity to l...
223K 15.6K 38
GROUNDHOG DAY mixed with SIXTEEN CANDLES and a splash of DOCTOR WHO. A boy forever reincarnated as himself meets his soulmate for the 200th time, bu...
858K 14.7K 82
Two best friends are realising that they aren't kids anymore, and they have desires that need to be fulfilled. So who better to experiment with than...