𝐁𝐞𝐧𝐞𝐚𝐭𝐡 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐒𝐮𝐫�...

By Iyanuoluwa-Temi

A Nigerian Teen-Fiction. Zaria Coker had every reason to be called perfect; Straight As, awesome friends, and... More

Authors Note
Meeting the Characters
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35

Chapter 6

3.3K 777 252
By Iyanuoluwa-Temi

Zaria's POV

The fourth and final continuous assessment for the seniors students of Limelight was in form of projects and practicals. It was an initiative by the school to engage everyone in other activities that would help boost our grades.

Except for the Commercial students.

They still had to do written tests because there was no practical aspect in their field of study. For science and technical students, it was Chemistry practical. For Art students, their practical was in two forms; Visual Art and Drama. Some students pick Visual art while some pick drama.

We were paired in twos for the Chemistry practical but till date we haven't been told our partners We were having a Chemistry class when the bell rang, indicating a change in period.

"Before I forgot..." Mr Ajanaku, our chemistry teacher started and the entire class tried to stifle their as a result of his bad English.

"Gbagaun!" Someone shouted and the entire class roared in laughter. The poor man not understanding what was going one tried to get the class to settle down.

"Settled down, all of you or I'll sent you to the principal." He said again, creating another blunder that caused the class to double up in laughter again.

His Yoruba accent wasn't helping matters either, as his intonation worsened his every sentence. Sometimes, I wondered how he got employed into a prestigious school like this. He was actually really good at teaching his subject though.

English they say, isn't a measure of intelligence. I thought. But still, his English was terrible.

"Everyone settle down. Time is fast spent and we have either classes. Let's just get this over with." That was Joel voice and I didn't have to look to know because his accent gave him away. His tone wasn't commanding but it was serious and what followed his voice was perfect silence. I was forced to roll my eyes and scoff.

Who does this guy think he is?!

"Lyla, can you imagine that guy!" I turned to Lyla who was seating beside me. She looked at me with a raised eyebrow.

"What did he do this time?" She asked, a sarcastic undertone laced in her voice that I chose to ignore.

"Who does he think he is to command the entire class to keep quiet?" I asked rhetorically and she chuckled quietly.

"A reasonable person. Please let's listen to Mr Ajanaku. I need to leave this place." She replied dismissively and turned to face the teacher that had now begun to speak again. I looked at her with a disapproving gaze before facing the teacher.

He wants to start turning my friends against me. Never gonna happen. I thought.

"…your names have been paste on the door. When you are gone outside, please checked it. The practical is due in two weeks and you already know what to do," he finished. Thankfully, he was able to let out a sentence without too much grammatical blunder.

Everyone rushed to the door to check who their partners were. I stayed rooted to my seat as I didn't want to get clustered between sweaty bodies and different body odours. Soon the crowd at the door began to disperse and I stood up to check my name, praying  within me that I don't get paired with someone dumb.

That seemed offensive but in my defense, I didn't want anyone else to ruin my perfect grades more than it was already ruined.

"God please, no one dumb." I crossed my fingers and closed my eyes, chanting as I made my way to the door, picking at the list with one eyes closed.

"Well, you are in luck," I heard the annoying, yet deep and soothing voice say behind me. I opened my eyes and looked up, my gaze meeting a pair of emerald green ones.

"We are partners." He smiled.

Ehn?!

My eyes almost popped out of its socket in shock. I rushed to the door and looked through the list. He was right, Joel Bamidele and I were going to be partners for two whole weeks. Two long, agonizing week with my Arch nemesis.

My rival!

God, kill me now. I looked up to the ceiling hoping God will answer my prayer but nothing happened. I sighed in frustration.

Joel held my hand and I suddenly felt a jolt through my body. His hands felt so strong, yet warm and soft. I shook my head to bring back my mind from wherever it ran to.

Why did I just think that?! I chided myself.

He took out his pen and wrote a number on it. I gave him a puzzled look and stared down at the numbers. It was his phone number.

"What would I need this for?!" I snapped. We were the only ones left in the laboratory. We were supposed to have physics at the moment but we didn't care. For all we know, both of us wouldn’t get punished.

"You will need it to communicate with me about the project, dhurr." He shrugged, sarcasm laced in his voice, making me feel stupid.

Of course we would need to communicate, stupid. My mind mocked me.

"I'd need your number though." His voice pierced through my mind trip and I looked at him with a raised eyebrow. He shook his in mock pity at my sudden absentmindedness before giving me his pen and stretching his palm out, indicating I should write my number on it. I frowned immediately.

There was no way I was going to give him my number.

"Look I will call you, okay? You don't need to have my number. Now can we go before we get into trouble." I eyed him and walked away, not giving him the chance to speak. I heard him sigh before he followed behind.

When we got to class, the Physics teacher, Mr Chika was already in class. He stopped writing on the board and looked at both of us. I swallowed and looked at Joel. He looked unbothered.

"Zaria, this is so unlike you. Why were you late? I demand an explanation!" He scowled.

"Sir..." I started but Joel cut me off.

"It's all my fault, sir." He simply said. I glared at him in horror. How is that even an explanation?! I looked back at Mr Chika, expecting him to lash out.

"Well, I trust you, Joel. Go and sit, both of you. This must not repeat itself again," he warned and turned back to the board and Joel walked to his seat. I just stood at the door, awestruck.

What kind of Jazz is this guy using for the teachers?!

"Are you not going to sit down?" Mr Chika asked. I rolled my eyes and walked to my seat.

There was no fucking way I was having my chemistry practical with that guy! I decided as I cleaned my sweaty palm on my skirt.

☆☆☆☆

Joel's POV

It had been five days, almost a week and I still hadn't heard anything from Zaria. No beep, not messages, not phone calls. Nothing. I tried to get her phone number from her face book account but due to the kind of person I was, I felt it would be infringing.

Joel, you are too good for your own good. I told myself.

School was no different. After classes she would go completely MIA. Even Charles or Lyla didn't know where she was. Even the times I was lucky to meet her and approach her, she would find a way to slip away. I was getting impatient so I took laws into my hands. Infringement or no infringement, I didn't care anymore.

I decided to let Lyla know what was going on. I knew she would be of help.

It was pretty easy to find her. I just had to look for Kelvin. They were seated together, Kelvin was holding her hand and staring at her with a gaze I was all too familiar with. I could have sworn he was proposing. With mischief glazing my eyes, I walked up to them.

"Hi guys. Hope I'm not interrupting anything?" I looked from Kelvin to Lyla. He was glaring daggers at me. I chuckled inwardly.

Mission accomplished. If you can't mess with your guys like this then y'all are not friends.

"No. You are not." Lyla smiled at me though I could see that she wanted to jump at me and bite my head off. Taking precautions, I stepped back a bit. Lyla is pretty capable of doing that.

"Good. Lyla can I talk you for a minute?" I asked her, my eyes pleading. She seemed to have gotten the message because she replied immediately.

"No problem." She stood up.

"Kelvin, hope you don't mind me borrowing your girl?" I smirked at him.

"No. Not at all. I wasn't doing anything important." He grimaced. Lyla chuckled and held his hand.

"Give me a minute." She smiled at him and that alone made him grin back. The girl had so much effect on him. I smirked at him, flashing him a discreet thumbs up.

Lyla and I walked a little distance away from Kelvin.

"What's wrong? Let me guess... Zaria again," she stated and I sighed, a bit relieved that she knew the kind friend she has.

"You know it. We should have started our project by now. Everyone has started and it's almost a week. I gave her my number and she said she would call. I wanted to get her number but she said there was no need. I have been trying to talk to her but she keeps avoiding me." I explained to Lyla.

"Ohhh Zaria!" Lyla ran her hand through her face in frustration. Thank God someone is feeling the way I'm feeling. My patience is wearing out.

"I was wondering if you could give me her number."

"Lucky for you, I carry my diary everywhere I go. Her number is inside." She brought out a small diary from her skirt pocket, flipped through the pages and settled on one. "You've got your pen?" I brought it out and gave her with a sheet of paper. She wrote it down and handed it back to me.

"Thanks Lyla. I owe you." I smiled at her.

"You owe me a lot, Mister. She would have my head if she finds out I was the one that gave you her number but don't worry I will handle her." She gave me a slight punch on my shoulder. I winced.

How is she so tiny yet she punches so hard. I asked myself.

Haven't you heard the expression 'tiny but mighty?'  My subconscious mocked me.

"I will see you around. Get back to Kelvin before he murders me." I nodded towards Kelvin. He has been giving me signs to release her. Lyla laughed.

"True. Good luck. You are so gonna need it." She smirked and walked away.

You are so gonna need it. I told myself.

A/N

So Zaria is still doing shakara for our sweet boy.

Only God knows how she'll react when she finds out that Lyla gave Joel her number.

Don't forgot to vote and comment. Kisses.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

45.3K 10.6K 37
A NIGERIAN THEMED NOVEL "You have got your tities out and panties in a twist but your crush doesn't still notice you." Ore is a sixteen-year-old unde...
177K 34.4K 50
****A Wattpad Featured Novel**** • • • (Book one) Many of us, have read lots of books and watched lots of movies, abo...
44.1K 12K 75
The choices teenagers make... Some choose to smoke Some choose to steal Some choose to be bullies to defend themselves Some end up getting pregnant...
31.6K 4.5K 36
"Nimi, a frustrated church girl, encounters her biggest temptation yet when she lands herself in the arms of Lagos' most eligible bachelor..." Nimi i...