The Air Out Of [Wattys2018 sh...

By sophvergeletti

*wattys 2018 shortlist* *writer's awards sci-fi winner* It all started with an accident. Through vast conso... More

x
xx
xxx
'18
00
01
02
03
04
05
06
07
08
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
A/N
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
AFTERWORD
00 & 40 resemblance
ix (freebies)
001 - jess
002 - oscar
003 - leo
004 - ellie
NEXT CHAPTER NEWS
WATTYS SHORTLIST
RANKINGS

09

14 7 0
By sophvergeletti

THE CIRCLE THAT WAS MADE UP OF THE FIVE DISCOMBOBULATED TEENAGERS was hardly considered a circle, but Scar didn't mind. He knew for a fact that everyone had had a very tough, if not appalling morning, mirroring the insomniac effects he had experienced that very same morning.

It was an ungodly hour when he was jolted awake by a sudden rush of endorphins that stopped any chances of him falling asleep ever again, so he paid no mind and started his day at --- three in the morning, starting with his reliable cup of Americano coffee. No milk, no sugar. He silently cursed his knowledge of the chemical reactions between adrenaline and endorphins, bud had gradually accepted that sleep had not been an option for today.

In his perspective, Jess had taken the biggest fall, taking the impact of the swift bomb Aspyn had graciously cast upon her yesterday. Although a small knot of pity engulfed him, he ignored the flush of emotions and snuck a feverish glance at the poor girl. She was hardly awake, and currently, it was half past three in the afternoon, meaning she had been barely awake in class. Her fingers were hanging over her face, but they look seconds away from slipping.

But nevertheless, he pushed on. "Let's take a vote," He starts, facing the tired group. "Come on, everyone."

"If I get coffee." Leo groans, cupping his head in his hands, Jess and Louis were both asleep by now, slamming their faces on the hard, wooden table. Scar rubs his temples again, a failed attempt at focusing. Clearly, none had planned to pull an all-nighter.

"Here," Ellie says, distributing the five cups of coffee to everyone, and while she makes sure to place a gracious amount of sugar and milk for everyone to use, it's left untouched. Scar sips his third mug today, caffeine being labeled useless.

After what seems like ages, he manages to gather enough self-control to place the mug down for a split second.

"All in favor of saving Covia." He says, raising his hands. He notes down that Leo and Ellie have both raised their hands, and Jess had simply kept her eye closed, but raises her hand anyway.

"That's four of five votes." Scar announces, tiredly.

Louis shrugs. "I don't feel like slacking off on our senior year for a person we've just met, in a place we've never seen."

They all exchange glances. To be fair, he had raised a valid point.

"If you're pertaining to," Jess lifts her head up to communicate with her eyes, whether we should save Covia. "Think about it, the world we were born into rejected us over and over again for simply standing out. They put labels on our foreheads and called us the trash. Then, the one place you can make a difference in, the one saying you're not normal, not trash, but extraordinary. A place you can be recognized in, gives you a chance to find the friends you thought you ever had and the home you never knew of, you reject?" She's poking helplessly at the undissolved portions of the instant coffee mix, not finding the right words. "It's a burden we carry together."

"Your right." Leo takes a timid sip from his mug, "We were always abnormal." Sighing, he puts his mug down, "But it's your choice, positive, or negative."

Louis is scribbling roughly with his graphite pencil, seemingly undecided. "I think it's good to help them, but I just don't want to be the cause of Covia's downfall, and the destruction of myself." his eyes catch the ground. "Covia, you see, is temporary. Once we finish the job or don't, we still have to face the music. We still have to come back."

Scar's voice is strained when he turns to reply to Louis, their telepathy being temporarily broken, "Covia is screwed either way, Louis. There's a reason to why they are asking of our help. And to be honest, everyone needs a break. Even those who don't think they do. Outcast rejection is daily, and it'll be nice for a change."

"Alright," Louis says. "Let's do this."

Scar smiles to himself, stifling a yawn in between his applause. Sometimes, someone has to take the lead and drag five half-asleep anarchic teenagers to the brink of another world, but by the time he's convinced everyone to go for a swim to Covia, Aspyn's disapproving face is the first thing he sees, her eyes pointedly glancing at her watch as she taps it for the dramatic effect.

"We're going to have to start setting ground rules." She mutters to herself, as she commands the waters to carry them to the castle, once more.

Be grateful we actually chose to help you, Scar mutters in his mind. I mean if five teenagers with no knowledge whatsoever of what was happening offered their lives to help something they were introduced to only a few days, or weeks ago, then consider yourself lucky if they didn't wave you off.

This wasn't the Scar speaking out of the pure exhaust, it was more of Scar in general when he spoke about ungrateful souls.

Strangely enough, it had dawned on him that he was wearing the anklet instead of Jess so that she didn't have to hand it over to him every time they came to Covia.

"Today's going to be grand, for you and I both," Aspyn says in her comforting British accent. "It'll certainly take time, but I'll show you the ropes."

They were standing outside the castle now, giving Scar a better view of its' eloquent features. It was grand in a royal way, it wasn't covered in fancy taperings and pointy towers. Instead, it was covered in coral decorations and even carvings. Nothing looked mechanically operated from the outside, and so, he assumed it was just one really, really old building. An out of this world, heritage site.

"First of all." She says as we turn the corridor and enter a room to find a boy looking similar to Aspyn but younger. "Avine is our enemy. He is my mother's adopted brother, banished from Covia for several unspeakable violations."

She nods at the young boy, "This is my brother, Mason. Master of strength, and agility. On the contrary, I am the master of controllability and tactical analogy." Mason smiles.

"Hold up." Scar says, his thoughts interrupting hers, Leo looks at him warily from behind. "What's your plan regarding Avine?"

Ellie sucks in a breath.

"We don't know when or how Avine is planning to attack, but we know he's coming personally to watch us die. And for a man so dangerous he had to be exiled for eternity and still managed to escape, we need you guys."

"Can we possibly die in Covia?" Jess says ghastly.

Although Aspyn's face stays neutral, her eyes tell a different story, distorting into a stormier color of silver, almost gray. Scar is taken aback, what? He was really starting to hate this girl, what kind of psychopath keeps this information from people. Oh, you can die, whatever. It felt like a slap in the face. "Anyways." Mason clears his throat trying to change the topic to something less gory, "We're going to be splitting you into two groups based on your abilities."

"To more important matters," Aspyn adds, "Your names?"

"I'm Scar." He introduces himself, "This is Jess, Leo, Ellie, and Louis." He says pointing to each one as he said their names.

"Okay." She smiles. "Jess, Scar, you'll be working with me, Ellie, Louis, and Leo, please follow Mason." She leads Jess and himself to another room, where Scar is taken aback. It's more modernized than the predicted scientific improvement of Earth fifty years from now.

Scientific equipment covers the perimeter of the room, leaving the middle portion empty. There's a small desk and a computer on it, which Scar readily assumes, given the camera in the corner is for Aspyn to analyze their body movement and brain capacity. After all, it was their tactical ability.

Peeking through the tiny crack in the door separating him from the rest of his friends, Scar recognizes a whole new side of Mason who is currently ordering the trio to run fifty laps around the room's court whilst floating on water. Around his neck is a whistle capable of creating an ear-piercing scream, which served as motivation not to be the slowest.

"While the others will be trained for strength, which is the hardest of the four core aspects, You two will be handling the other three at once, so I suggest you listen." She presses a button on an electrical keypad which automatically boots up the devices in the room, "Agility, tactics, and endurance."

"Ready for Analysis." The computer speaks, as Aspyn nods in their direction.

"They will be able to handle taking the hardest of punches, you will be the one uncatchable, you're everywhere. They are the shield, and you are the gun."

"Okay." Scar says, nodding. He isn't sure what to expect, and he certainly doesn't trust Aspyn either, but, his gut tells him it's right.

"We're going to start with a simulation to gather your strong and weak points."

All in a day's work. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

58.6K 5.8K 102
Ada, a cashier in a consumer-tech dystopia, uses electro-pulse capabilities on a revenge mission against her father. Along the way, she hopes to disc...
65.6K 11.1K 122
🌟WATTYS 2023 SHORTLIST 🌟WATTYS 2023 FANS CHOICE AWARDS NOMINEE 🌟WATTYS 2022 SHORTLIST 🌟Editor's Pick (Reading Radar) Feb 2024 🌟 Featured Wattpa...
1.4K 1.1K 20
Once upon a time, there's a lady whose dream is to be able to freely explore the vast ocean and the outside world, and a royal sorcerer who is determ...
131K 8.6K 55
Five Star Reviews for Atlantis Academy: "Omg this book was amazing I couldn't put it down or stop reading. I carried it with me open on my phone whil...