Fury (A How to Train Your Dra...

By hope_forever_18

Thora is an orphaned Viking girl, to be blunt. When she was only seven, her village was burned to the ground... More

Prologue
Chapter 1: Wandering Souls
Chapter 2: Other Riders
Chapter 3: Berk
Chapter 4: Introverted
Chapter 5: Dragon Race
Chapter 6: Curious Minds
Chapter 7: Trappers
Chapter 8: Panic
Chapter 9: Caught
Chapter 10: Bludvist
Chapter 11: Saved
Chapter 12: Battle
Chapter 13: Help
Chapter 14: Return to Berk
Chapter 15: Victory
Chapter 16: My Choice
Epilogue

Chapter 17: Snoggletogg

6.9K 269 102
By hope_forever_18

Months pass and the snow starts to fall. We rebuild Berk and erect new statues to honour Stoick the Vast. Hiccup does a wonderful job as chief, or at least I think he does. Seeing as I've decided to stay in Berk, the Vikings decided to build me my own house. It's small, but it's enough room for Nightstar and I. A wooden Night Fury statue sits above the door and the walls are painted purple, blue, green, and black. I think it's one of the nicest houses in the village.

It's the time for Snoggletogg, a Viking celebration of the winter holidays. I'm feeling rather excited, despite the idea of large crowds. I haven't experienced it in so long that it could very well be far more exciting than I remember.

"Hey Thora!"

I close the door to my house, dressed in my winter clothes; fur-lined boots, thicker pants, and a fur cloak to drape over my shoulders. Nightstar is already greeting Snotlout and Astrid, the two adults returning the same sort of welcome to her.

"You ready to celebrate your first Snoggletogg?" Astrid asks as I move closer to them.

"Yes, quite," I say. "Where do we start?"

"We've got to decorate before sending the dragons off," Snotlout says as the three of us start walking to the main part of the village.

Nightstar nudges me goodbye before flying off to join the other dragons, mainly Toothless of course. We meet up with Eret and the twins in the middle of the village. Eret has become a wonderful addition to Berkian life, as well as doing an awesome job as Skullcrusher's new trainer.

The few of us send a few sparse greetings before we start decorating the square. Hiccup and Fishlegs join us shortly, carrying a few extra supplies.

"Happy early Snoggletog, Thora," Hiccup says, nudging me with his elbow as he passes me.

I laugh a little as I roll my eyes. "And the same to you."

"I haven't had one in a while," Eret admits, scratching the back of his neck as he hangs a shimmering bauble on a wreath.

"About time you two got one, right?" Ruffnut asks, grinning. "Don't forget about presents!"

"Presents are a need," Tuffnut insists.

"I can't wait to see all the babies," I say.

"They're seriously the cutest things ever," Astrid says, tying a bright red bow around a post.

The conversation continues, complete with a detailed dramatic reenactment of their first dragon Snoggletogg experience involving exploding Gronckle eggs and Hiccup losing his helmet.

"We've got mistletoe, right?" I call.

"Plenty to get stuck under, if you know what I mean." Tuffnut smacks my back, and I elbow him in response.

"Go flirt with Astrid," I tease, making him turn pink.

"I'm gonna put on Toothless' self flying tail. That way he can go with Nightstar when the dragons head off," Hiccup comments.

"Doesn't he hate that?" Fishlegs asks.

"Yeah, but I think he'd like to be there this time," the former answers.

We glance at each other and grin. We decided to not tell them Nightstar is pregnant until the dragons come back.

"Just a few more decorations and we should be good!" Astrid announces. "Then, everyone can work on presents!"

"Then move it!" Ruffnut hoots, chucking a bundle of sticks at the back of Snotlout's head.

—————

Inside my house, I pull out the gifts I made. They aren't that great, but they're made from the heart. I painted Hiccup a portrait of him, Toothless, Stoick, and Valka, remembering him making a comment about how he doesn't have a lot of pictures. It took forever to finish, but I'm quite proud of it and I hope that he likes it. Otherwise, I made some clothing and painted a few special art pieces for my friends.

I'm best at drawing and hey, making your own clothing becomes useful after years of living in the woods. Might as well make good use of them.

I finish wrapping the gifts and head to the Great Hall for Snoggletogg Eve meal, bringing the bundles in a rather rickety pile in my arms.

Inside, everyone has gathered with their dragons, spending some time with them before they leave. A giant Snoggletogg tree is set up in the middle of the Hall, and I place my gifts under it.

"Nightstar!" I call. She comes running, wagging her tail and grinning. I scratch her ear plates as I lower my voice. "Hey girl. You ready to be a mommy?"

She nods her giant head and plants a dragon kiss on my whole body.

"Never stops being gross." I smirk, cleaning myself off.

Nightstar laughs her dragon laugh just as I see Hiccup and Toothless come into the hall. My dragon perks up and starts bounding towards them, making a few Vikings scramble out of the way as she goes by.

The two Night Furies meet and rub their heads together, grins on their scaly faces.

"Lovebirds." Hiccup laughs, patting Nightstar's shoulder.

I make a similar gesture as I look around the bustling hall. "What's on the menu for today?"

"A very special meal with lots of meat, beer, and special Snoggletogg treats," he answers.

"Can't wait, especially for tomorrow. I hope you like your gift."

"I'll love anything you get me."

I arch an eyebrow. He shrugs as a sheepish look flickers across his face. I let it go. He's been acting weird ever since Nightstar got pregnant.

The meal begins soon after with an announcement from Hiccup. It's delicious and I eat as much as I can hold, not caring for manners. Thankfully, Vikings don't care for manners anyways.

When the meal is over, everyone heads outside. The dragons gather at the front of Berk, preparing for the travel. Nightstar waits with Toothless as Hiccup attaches a special tail fin on.

"Be home soon, buddy. You got it?" Hiccup asks, and Toothless licks him, causing his hair to stick up at different angles.

"You too, girl," I say to Nightstar. "Take it easy."

We hug our respective Night Furies goodbye. The dragons take off into the night sky, everyone watching until they're out of sight.

"Everyone get some sleep!" Hiccup yells. "Long day of celebrating tomorrow!"

The people of Berk obey him readily, including me. My house feels emptier without Nightstar, but I'll be fine. She'll be home soon with a new little bundle of joy.

—————

Morning comes quickly and I'm swept up in the Snoggletogg festivities. There's music and talking and lots of food and drinks, again causing me to have to swallow my dislike of rowdy parties.

"It kind of sucks that yak-nog didn't work out," Astrid says.

"That stuff was terrible!" Tuffnut exclaims, making Ruffnut smack him over the head.

"What's yak-nog?" I ask.

"Astrid tried starting a new tradition during our first dragon Snoggletogg, so she made this stuff called yak-nog," Fishlegs says.

"It was awful, like dragon barf and yak mixed together," Snotlout adds, sticking his tongue out in disgust.

"Don't remind me," Astrid grumbles, a small smile on her face.

I pause for a second, remembering something from my childhood. It's a simple recipe, a concoction that I made with my mother several times every year for every special occasion, especially Snoggletogg.

"Wait a second," I say, dashing from the hall.

Hopefully, my mind catalogued the particular recipe. In record time, I make enough mugs for my group and bring them back out to them on a tray. They eye the cups, looking curious but cautious.

"Okay, this isn't yak-nog, but it's still a holiday drink," I say as each of them grabs a mug.

Eret is the first one brave enough to take a sip and his eyes widen and he takes another gulp. Seeing his reaction, the others try.

"This is so good!" he says, gulping down more.

"Where did you learn how to make this?" Astrid asks, amazed.

"My mom always used to make this drink during the holidays. She called it Snoggle-nog," I explain with a shrug. "No biggie."

"GO SNOGGLE-NOG!" Tuffnut and Ruffnut cheer.

"Thora, you have to write down this recipe so we can make it every Snoggletogg," Snotlout says as we walk, draining his mug.

"Good idea!" Astrid agrees.

I laugh, relieved at the positive reactions from them. Before more can be said, Hiccup's voice rings out from the front of the hall.

"Time for presents everyone!"

Everyone grabs gifts and starts handing them out. I give my friends their gifts, feeling frazzled amongst the chaos of everything.

"I can so imagine Barf wearing this!" Ruffnut says as she holds onto the Zippleback sweater I made.

"It's girly..." Tuffnut grumbles.

"It has flames," Ruffnut argues.

His eyes widen. "Wait, what? Never mind!"

I smirk inwardly as I hand Hiccup his gift. He eyes the wrapping with a curious light in his eyes.

"What is it?" he asks.

"I'm not telling you. You've gotta open it," I say

He laughs before he opens it, pulling out the scroll. He stares at it for a few seconds, his gaze going misty.

"This is amazing..." he whispers, looking up at me. "Did you make this?"

I nod, looping my hands together. "I tried painting instead of sketching. You like it?"

"I love it!" He gives me a quick hug that I return. "Your gift will have to wait. It's not here yet."

"Fine," I say, pretending to pout.

"Patience, Thora," he chides, although the sound is light.

We settle into the meal, eating and drinking until we're satisfied. A few young Vikings run around with mistletoe hanging off the ends of sticks. I gulp as they hover it over Hiccup and my heads.

He leans over and kisses my cheek, sparing me any major the embarrassment. Laughter still erupts around the table.

Fishlegs and Snotlout burst out laughing once again as the night continues, making Tuffnut raise an eyebrow.

"What's so funny?" he demands.

They point to the mistletoe above his head, then at the girl sitting beside him; Astrid. Both blush profusely as the rest of us start laughing. Ruffnut shoves her brother into Astrid.

"Just kiss her, you wimp! It's the rules!" She grins.

Tuffnut leans over and pecks Astrid swiftly, crossing his arms over his chest and pouting, his cheeks still red. I glance over at the boys that started the laughter, a giggle leaving me as I point above Fishlegs and Snotlout's heads.

"Guys..." I say.

They look at each other, their eyes widening.

"NO WAY IN VALHALLA AM I KISSING HIM!" they scream in complete sync.

The laughter doesn't seem to end.

The evening winds down. Our hearts light and our bellies full, we head off to bed.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

345K 11.7K 50
Book 1 of the North Dragons series Indigo Artemis North - more commonly known as the legendary 'Dragon Master' - runs the Dragon Sanctuary, an elus...
1.3M 58.1K 104
Maddison Sloan starts her residency at Seattle Grace Hospital and runs into old faces and new friends. "Ugh, men are idiots." OC x OC
9.4K 221 15
Some heroes are not born, but made. Within the depths of Cadmus, an experiment has been made, created to perform an abominable task: to kill the Man...
170K 17.7K 23
"𝙏𝙤𝙪𝙘𝙝 𝙮𝙤𝙪𝙧𝙨𝙚𝙡𝙛, 𝙜𝙞𝙧𝙡. 𝙄 𝙬𝙖𝙣𝙣𝙖 𝙨𝙚𝙚 𝙞𝙩" Mr Jeon's word lingered on my skin and ignited me. The feeling that comes when yo...