Edge of Dreams

By xoSimplyBeingMe

In a world where only a few people have the ability to dream, Avery Fletcher is one of the few. When it all b... More

Synopsis✯
Prologue✯
1✯
2✯
3✯
4✯
5✯
6✯
7✯
8✯
9✯
10✯
12✯
13✯
14✯

11✯

98 2 0
By xoSimplyBeingMe

Edge of Dreams

I'm building a tower out of building blocks whilst my mother and father watch tv with my sister asleep in his arms.

"I think it might be our only choice," my mother says.

"No, we can't do that to her. We have no idea what will happen to her," my father answers.

"We have to help her."

I add a pink block to my tower.

"We are helping her, by keeping them from finding her."

I put a blue block on top and rummage to find another blue.

"They already have found her."

My tower collapses.

✭✭✭

I was so used to having a full nights sleep, that it was painful getting up the next morning. I went through my day slowly. My hands were still wrapped and I felt like an idiot wearing them. Though nobody paid attention to them since accidents were common here, I still wasn't happy.

In fact, I put the blame entirely on Link. If it wasn't for him, I wouldn't have gotten into this mess and hurt myself. I wouldn't have had to see Ms Hawk again, which was traumatising enough already, and learn her real name. So when I am sitting in the Reflection Section on one of the sofas with Stephanie, I don't hesitate to casually interrogate her.

"Do you know Link?"

"Uh yeah. I know of him, why?"

"Just that I barely see him around," I try to come off as casual as I can. After yesterday's mishap of trying to stalk him and failing, I still wanted to confront him, only within the rules.

"He doesn't need to go to classes. To be honest he's way too smart for them. He works with other people and does a load of other smart stuff with them. Why are you concerning yourself with him?" Stephanie gives me a speculative look. "Do you like him?!" She practically squeals.

"No no no no no no no, I was just wondering, that's all." I pause to study Stephanie, "Do YOU like him?"

"He's cute, sweet and smart what's not to like? Sure. Then again, I pretty much like any guy that's attractive."

"Oh. Okay then. On the topic of guys though, have you ever like noticed..." I feel awkward whilst saying it, not wanting to come across arrogant. "that like Blaze... seems to make quite a few flirtatious comments to me?" I examine the grey floor and wait for the laughter, but it doesn't come.

"I wouldn't get any ideas," Stephanie remarks, rather seriously.

I snap my head up to her. "Wait what? It's not that I- I mean he's hot and all- But I'm not- He's not- What?"

"He's so narcissistic that he flirts with everyone thinking they all love him. But he has a girlfriend," Stephanie says pulling out her ponytail before retying it.

"Sara?"

She snorts. "HA. She wishes. No she's older and in the level above us. She's Ember's sister, and twice as psychotic as her. She has a lot more control though, which I'm not sure if it makes her more dangerous..."

"Ember has a sister?" I question curiously. I suppose it makes sense now why she asked about Lucy, sort of, not really.

"Her names Autumn. And if she found out that you thought Blaze liked you, she would probably kill you," Stephanie says it so casually that I almost believe her.

I stare at her incredulously. Stephanie bursts out into hysterical laughter, and I relax knowing she's not serious.

I hit her arm, "I almost thought you were serious!"

Stephanie continues to laugh as she speaks, "I am, that's what makes it so hilarious. She would literally kill you! Oh god I have tears." Stephanie began to wipe under her eyes, visibly crying with laughter.

I think of Ember and how she punched me for just looking at her. I imagine if her sister is more psychotic, and I was looking at her boyfriend, she could definitely kill me. "Oh for fucks sake! Why is everyone so ready to seriously injure or kill me?" I'm so thankful that Autumn is not on our level.

Stephanie calms down with a content sigh. "That's life for you."

"Yeah well life sucks," I say glancing down at my still bandaged hands.

"Honestly though, if it makes you feel better, Autumn would happily kill Sara before you. I heard she even tried once," Stephanie smiles warmly, a little too pleased about that fact. "Apparently it was a couple years back, she was messing with her rooms identity pad, and basically made it so it electrocuted her," Stephanie chuckles. "You have to give it to her, she may be crazy, but she's smart."

I give a nervous laugh. Maybe when you're here long enough you get used to people dying or nearly dying, to the point where you can laugh about it.

"Hey Trouble," I jump as Aaron drops into the sofa next to me. "Steph."

He throws his arm over the back of the grey sofa, and I try not to shift away. I'm afraid to look at him for fear I might blush from the proximity. I had no idea what was going on, somehow he had gone from the creepy serial killer guy to someone I might have a crush on. Something had changed since last night.

"Hi Aaron," Stephanie chirps. "I was just telling Avery about that time Autumn tried to kill Sara."

Aaron laughs, and I swear I'm so close I can feel the vibrations in his chest. It's the kind of laugh that makes you want to join in, and to my annoyance I like it.

I'm completely and utterly screwed.

"You prepared for the tests?" Aaron asks bumping my arm.

"What tests?" My eyes widen with fear. "Were we supposed to study? Ohmygod I haven't studied. I'm going to fail."

Stephanie giggles, "Not subject tests. Medical tests."

"Medical tests?" Confusion is laced with my voice as I try to remember reading about them.

"Yeah. A couple of days before every Challenge Day we have to go through the tests. Just your usual blood tests, brain scans etc," Stephanie answers.

I shudder at the thought of needles. No thank you. "Great," I nervously laugh.

"I really wouldn't worry about that part, it's Challenge Day you need to focus on," Aaron throws in. "That's the time to fear for your safety."

For the first time, I turn to face Aaron, and he's closer than I expect. He flashes a megawatt grin, and I swear mentally. So god damn screwed. "I just thought-"

"Glad you've finally learnt," Aaron interrupts.

I raise my eyebrows at him. "I just thought now, does everyone go through the same stuff on challenge day?" I had never considered that people would do anything different, but surely how many rooms would they have dedicated to a disappearing floor?

"We go through the same things, just in a different order."

"Huh. Good to know," I twist back to Stephanie. "Does this mean that-" A beep goes off and we all instantly check our tablets. "It's mine," A notification comes up on my screen reading:

'79876: Please make your way to the Medical Section room 13 for reapplication of bandages. Assistance is recommended.'

"What is it?"

"Gotta go get these changed, with assistance apparently," I raise my hands and wrinkle my nose. When I notice that I can see blood through them, I tug on the edge of my bandages.

"I'll come with you," Aaron offers.

I go to protest, but Stephanie gets there first. "Good, because I need to find Selene and Jake. He knows the way. I'll leave you two to it." She jumps up and skips away before I can even say goodbye.

We leave the Reflection Section walking side by side. Though I could easily use my tablet to navigate my way to the Medical Section, I let Aaron guide me.

"Y'know, you seem a lot less hostile to me these days. If you forget the amount of times you've started to hit me." He shoots me a pointed look, "Which is a lot by the way."

"You're presence has seemed to grow on me I guess," I say shrugging. Which is true, along with Stephanie, Taylor and her friends. Somehow I have let myself become attached to them. After constantly living in fear of being caught and having to run, I've never let people this close to me, until now. And now I'm not sure if I want to go back to closing myself off.

"Has it grown like a flower of eternal love?" He grins mischievously.

I roll my eyes and shove him. "More like it's grown like a disease. Now I can't get rid of you."

"The disease of luuuuurv?" Aaron sings out, and I raise my eyebrows at him. "Okay, don't hit me," he says raising his hands in surrender.

"I don't get why they said I would need assistance anyway."

"'Cause I'm sure the painkillers are gonna make you loopy, or more so. Or maybe you're going to cry your heart out in pain and need a shoulder to cry on," Aaron tilts his head whilst stroking his shoulder.

"It's like you just want me to hate you." One dazzling smile from him, and I can't stop myself from smiling right back. I'm such a goner. "Whatever."

I hit Aaron at least twice by the time we reach the Medical Section and the room I have been sent to. I know I'm acting like a school girl hitting the boy I like, but I can't help it. Especially when he makes comments and acts like an idiot.

Before I can put my hand on the identity scanner, Aaron pushes me out of the way. I push him right back to try again, only for him to put his hand over the scanner too. With both of our hands on the scanner it refuses to open.

Surprisingly, the doors slide open but not from us. Aaron aims to go first, and I happily stick my foot out to trip him. I raise my head and proudly walk through the door. I freeze.

Link is in the room. Same as usual, surgical table, white walls, white cupboard containing supplies, and Link stood there in scrubs.

"Why are you here?" I demand. The anger all comes back in his presence. I want to shout at him, but not in front of others. He was the reason I basically had to have these bandages. If he hadn't told people about my business, then I wouldn't have followed him, and I wouldn't have gotten punished.

"You're late," is all Link says as he pulls on gloves.

"You know each other?" Aaron asks looking between us confused.

I don't answer, but Link does. "We're in the same class." Even though he is never present in said classes. "You should have been here at least three minutes ago. I sent the message 8minutes ago and you received and read it instantly," Link says continuing to act busy.

I glance at Aaron to see him rolling his eyes. "Okay..."

"Take a seat and we'll begin."

"Wait what? You're changing them? Aren't there other people who do that? Y'know people with a licence or certificate or whatever," I gesture wildly.

Aaron chimes in. "He's going to be working on his doctorate next year."

My jaw drops. I figured he was smart, even Stephanie had confirmed this, but I had no idea it was to this degree. "Well that's-well yeah. Okay then. Good. That's good."

Aaron snickers and I try not to hit him again. Instead I walk to sit on the table, trying and failing to seem like I was comfortable with it all. Aaron goes to lean against the wall, crossing his arms. I try not to stare at him and the muscles in his arms that can be seen visibly from the fitted uniform.

Link hands me a cup of water and one with a pill in it. I don't hesitate to throw it in my mouth and wash it down with the water. With the pain I know is to come, I want it the painkiller to set in as quickly as possible.

Link suddenly grabs my right hand, and begins to unwrap the bandage. I look away before I can see what's underneath, and grind my teeth as he peels it off. I hear Aaron hiss through his teeth.

"I thought you said you just scratched yourself? You've practically torn off your skin," Aaron says in horror.

Link starts on the other hand methodically. "You're going to have to come more regularly throughout the days to avoid infection. You should have been sent here much sooner than now."

I nod my head but I'm barely listening as he peels the other bandage off to leave my hands bare.

"This is the part which is going to hurt," I peek up to see him looking down at me. "Ready?" I shake my head and his mouth twitches to smile. "Count to three."

One.

He presses a cold wipe to my hand and I squeeze the hand holding it in place. I look up at the ceiling and my eyes are already watering as I jitter about. The pain is excruciating. I swear. A lot. The same goes when he moves onto my other hand.

I look up to Aaron to see his face cringing. "Nope. Sorry. Can't do it. I'll be outside, that's just sick." He leaves the room covering his mouth.

Link has his brows furrowed in concentration. Risking my sanity, I study my hands and suck in my breath in horror. They're red raw and I swear I can see tendons to my fingers. It's disgusting, and I don't want to see it any longer.

The worst is yet to come as I see Link pull out the spray. In my childhood I had gone through the torture of having my injuries sprayed, but this one is much worse. I scream the moment it touches my wounds, and it still stings after. Link is surprisingly gentle as he rewraps my hands, and I am thankful it is over quickly. The pain begins to subside, and I know the painkillers have kicked in finally.

"Why did I have to do this to myself?" I whine out mostly to myself, waiting for Link to finish.

"If it makes you feel any better, I don't think it will be mandatory for you to go through Challenge Day, especially if it concerns using your hands," Link states.

"Whoa whoa whoa," I begin. "Are you serious?"

"If I write in my report you are unable to perform, then it will be possible,"

"Please say I'm unable to perform!" I practically shout out with excitement. I pull my hand out of his grip to push a strand that had fallen out of my pony tail, out of my face. "I mean really, this is your fault in the first place."

He raises his eyebrows, "How is your self harm my fault?"

Now that we're alone I'm happy to educate him. "You told your friends about my sister, and now they know my business. You had no right to do that."

"I didn't tell my friends anything. They have access to the files of everyone who comes here." I frown, puzzled along with Link. "There were people there in the room with us if you recall, and they reported your behaviour. It can be logically explained that they found out about it through research."

I open and close my mouth like a fish. "They can have access to my files? Everyone's?" This is a shock to me considering personal details should be kept confidential. At least that's what it's like in the outside world. Link nods. "So you didn't tell your friends about me?"

"No, of course not. Why would I talk about you? You're not of any interest to me," Link says cleaning everything up.

"Oh... Sorry then." This wasn't exactly how I planned it all to go. I was supposed to make him admit that he had done wrong, then I was going to make him feel guilty, and then... Well that was as far as I had gotten. "Can you do that for me though?" I ask meekly, hoping I haven't messed up my chances.

"I suppose so," He points at me. "You can't tell anyone about this though. I could get in trouble for it." I pointedly look up at the camera in the corner of the ceiling. As far as I knew anyway, he couldn't get into trouble for anything. Not even murder. He waves his hand dismissively. "That's not a problem."

"I swear I won't tell anyone. I even pinky promise," I hold out my pinky towards him. He stares at it bewildered.

"Promises can be broken," he says finally.

I cheerfully smile at him. "Not pinky promises though."

Almost reluctantly, he links his pinky with my own, and I can't help it when my smile widens. Link slowly curves his lips into a smile that could take your breath away.

"Pinky promise, right?" He asks confirming.

"Pinky promise."

Link clears his throat and let's go of my finger to busy himself again. He picks up his tablet and begins to type rather quickly. "You should come again tomorrow before lunch. You'll be excused from your class to come here. Do try to keep them dry."

"Uh... How am I supposed to shower or wash my hair then?"

He glances above the tablet, "They'll be gloves to cover them in your room. You're dismissed."

I salute him and swing my legs to jump off the table. "Thanks. And thanks again for y'know." He just nods and waves his hand for me to leave.

Before I leave Link speaks once more. "Try to keep out of trouble Avery. You have no idea what you're dealing with."

I wonder if he knows what's going on here with people like Aaron, and if he knows I've decided to join them. Shaking my head I scan my hand and walk out to see Aaron waiting.

"Thanks for the assistance," I sarcastically comment to Aaron.

"Well what else was I supposed to do? I couldn't exactly stop the pain. Anyway, you were assisting me in wanting to throw up. Your hands are fucked up."

"This is the time to assist me emotionally. Not insult me." I say with a deadpan facial expression.

Aaron smoothly drapes his arm around my shoulder, and we start to stroll back to the Reflection Section. "I'm sorry. Your hands are beautiful, just the way they are."

I snort but smile anyway. "That may have been one of the nicest lies you've ever told me."

"Don't get used to it too much," he says pulling me closer as we walk, and my heart speeds up.

Link randomly comes into my mind, and I think about what I found out. "Aaron, I found out something today," I say keeping my voice low. "The original people, the ones with the pins? They have access to everybody's files."

Aaron stares ahead focused. "Not here. We'll talk about it another night."

"Why not tonight?"

"They track our brain activity whilst we're asleep. There are mishaps often enough that every so often mistakes can be brushed off. We can't sneak out too much within a certain time frame without being caught." Aaron barely moves his lips, but I can hear him clearly enough. "We have the tests and Challenge Day soon. You should focus on that for now."

I open my mouth to tell him that I won't have to take part, but stop myself. It would be better if it seems like I have been told officially on my tablet. There will be less questions asked that way.

Even though I shared that information with Aaron, I can't help but wonder if it was right. I know what Aaron and his people want to do is right, or at least it's beneficial to me leaving. Except when I think of Link and what he said about not knowing what I'm dealing with, I'm unsure.

What if I've thrown myself into the deep end without realising that I'm swimming with the sharks?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

105 0 25
What do you do when you learn your family is the one who's holding all the secrets. Secrets that could get you killed... Ella is looking forward to s...
701 217 11
Curiosity killed the cat. Or at least that's what a young ghost woman, Grey, tells herself everyday, feeling the same tug to know more about the huma...
Lucid By Ashley Love

Science Fiction

45 5 9
"Some worlds are real and some we create, but I will love you in every one." Years into the future advances in sleep technology allows people to cont...