Spark of Hope

By xDRAG0N0VAx

The Resistance has been devastated. Only a few escaped the Battle of Crait, but General Leia Organa believes... More

Disclaimer
Chapter I
Chapter II
Chapter III
Chapter IV
Chapter V
Chapter VI
Chapter VII
Chapter VIII
Chapter IX
Chapter X
Chapter XI
Chapter XII
Chapter XIV
Chapter XV
Chapter XVI
Chapter XVII
Chapter XVIII
Chapter XIX
Chapter XX
Chapter XXI
Chapter XXII
Music List
Fan Art

Chapter XIII

272 18 13
By xDRAG0N0VAx

Rey recounted everything that had been said after he had left on sensing his mother. Hearing that the Resistance was close to launching a last-ditch effort against the First Order didn't bother him; what did was Rey's insistence that he get away before the battle, and the fact that Leia was happy about their Force Bond, and she wanted to see him.

Was this a ploy to kill him? Did Leia tell Rey what she wanted to hear? She hadn't cared about him when she sent him to Uncle Luke; why did she care now? He had killed her husband, had made her twin brother die from projecting himself across the Galaxy, had killed hundreds of her Resistance, almost killed her... How could she possibly want to see him?

Ben sat on his bed with his chin on top of his laced fingers as Rey paced. She had every right to be worried—he knew what this upcoming battle entailed: each of them was expected to lead their opposing sides and would be expected to clash. They knew this day was bound to come, but they hadn't thought so soon.

He wouldn't fight Rey—he wouldn't even pretend to fight her. She would obviously do the same because of her nervous pacing and her asking him to leave before the Resistance arrived.

But he couldn't do that. If the Resistance failed, the First Order would view his convenient departure as desertion; he'd be branded a traitor and hunted the rest of his life... and by the expert Knights of Ren. His decision to bring them on board now bit him in the ass. The First Order didn't concern him with their mediocre Stormtroopers; the Knights of Ren was a different story.

His eyes lifted to her, walking back and forth, wringing her hands the whole time with her forehead scrunched, thinking. Rey was strong, but she wouldn't be able to last long against the Knights of Ren by herself—much less without a lightsaber, too. What kind of man would he be if he let her face six Force-users of the Dark Side alone?

A pathetic coward—he wouldn't be able to call himself a man.

Rey threw her hands up as she huffed in frustration and stopped pacing. "I can't think of anything else!" She looked at Ben. "You have to leave."

An eyebrow rose. "I run while you stay?"

"Yes. I can't leave my friends defenseless. You've already said you don't care about anyone in the First Order."

He nodded. "I did, but I care about you; I can't protect you if I'm not there."

His declaration looked to throw her off-guard. Honestly, admitting his concern for her out loud caught him by surprise, too. But he had been tiptoeing around his feelings long enough—it was time she knew.

"I care about you too, Ben," she said quietly. Rey looked at him. "That's why I want you safe."

"You think I'll let you be there in danger while I hide in safety?" He shook his head. "That's not going to happen."

"Ben..." she began, pleadingly.

He got up and headed to her. "No. I'm not running; there's no more discussing this." He pulled her into him. "You're going to need me there."

"Why? You say that like you know what's going to happen..."

Ben hesitated. Should he tell her the reason why he had recruited them: to hunt down and kill Force-users? He decided against it—it wasn't something she had to know. "The Knights of Ren. They're six Force-users I turned to the Dark Side. They were the students I took with me after I burned Uncle Luke's Jedi Temple."

"You don't think they'll listen to you?"

"No. They are set in the ways of the Dark Side, like I was until you showed me the path of the Gray Jedi. And before you suggest it," he began before she spoke, "they won't turn if we show them this new way. Their souls are not as conflicted as mine was. Plus, I don't believe they would politely provide us the time to speak."

They remained quiet for a while until Rey drew in a shaky breath. "What do we do?"

He laid his head atop hers as he hugged her tight. "I don't know. We'll figure something out when it's here."

***

From then on, their conversations mostly revolved around the upcoming battle and what they would do. Ben considered the idea of informing the First Order of the attack—to make it a more level playing field—but the question of how he had learned of it would ultimately come up, so he changed his mind. As a Gray Jedi, they had to allow both chaos and order to take its part in the Galaxy—their hope of if the Resistance won, the calm afterward would make it easier on them in maintaining balance.

Plus, the First Order not knowing, so they couldn't be prepared, would offer Rey more protection. That's what made his decision final.

Both were lost in thought as they walked the halls of the Akiva palace. They didn't have a destination in mind; they just ambled, distracted. Ben knew they couldn't predict what would happen, but it was always good to conjure up potential scenarios and what you could do. Most of the scenarios he came up with involved Rey, the Knights of Ren, and—because of a discomforting feeling—Hux. He had no idea what that wimp could do, but Ben couldn't discard him. Maybe it was the Force warning him, but the man would be involved at the end.

"You are the Jedi, Rey."

The statement brought Ben out of his reverie to see a male Abednedo dressed in robes of orange and brown had stopped Rey in the middle of a hallway. This Abednedo looked like all the others he had seen: tan with tendrils dangling by his mouth, an elongated head, fleshy nose slits, and black eyes.

She hid it well, but Ben sensed Rey tensing and the surrounding air thickened with caution—she recognized this Abednedo and she was wary. Her alarm transferred into him.

"Yes...?" she said.

He bowed. "I am Sujux Withross. May I speak with you in private?"

It won't be as private as he believes, Ben thought.

Rey accepted and gestured for the Abednedo to lead on. Sujux turned and led her and Ben down the hall.

He glanced at her. Why did you react the way you did? he asked. They had resorted to speaking telepathically now since non-Force-users—like Finn—could hear him.

She looked at him. He's the one whose presence I felt in my room after I had arrived. I don't know what he was after.

Ben looked back at the Abednedo walking ahead of them, awfully suspicious now.

Well, if he tries something, you're not alone.

She smiled at him. I know I'm not.

Sujux went to a door he had entered before and held it open for her. They stepped in to find it a room of records—there were bookcases slammed full of books and rolled-up parchments, and shelves holding datasticks and holobooks. The skinny but tall windows revealed no one else in the room other than Rey and the Abednedo.

After closing the door, Sujux headed past Rey. "I am the Keeper of Histories, hence why there is no one here—I requested them to leave for an hour."

"You've been in my room: I recognize your presence. Why?" Rey asked, getting straight to the point.

He nodded as he turned to her. "Yes, I did. I apologize for intruding, but I wished to speak with you privately, like now."

She crossed her arms. "About what?"

Ben suppressed a chuckle. That's my girl.

Your girl? she responded cheekily. Since when did I belong to you?

Rey said it jokingly, so she wasn't angered by him laying claim to her.

I think since the beginning.

She didn't smart back, probably stunned by his confession... again. Ben moved around so he could see her face: wide-eyed, mouth slightly agape, and blushing—clearly flustered. He found it quite humorous.

"My Lady?" Sujux asked.

Rey blinked out of her dazed expression. "I'm sorry; can you repeat again?" She shot Ben a glare. "I'm being distracted."

Sujux began speaking again, but Ben didn't care—he was having fun.

Ignoring me isn't going to help.

Would you stop it? I'm trying to listen!

He only did because she asked and whatever the Abednedo was saying could be important.

"... is a Jedi Temple beneath Myrra, inside the old catacombs. Perhaps there is knowledge hidden away there that you may need or..." His eyes drifted down to Skywalker's lightsaber on her waist.

He gestured at it. "You did not use your saber in the attack. May I ask why?"

"It's broken. I don't know how to fix it."

"A broken lightsaber cannot be fixed."

Well, he at least knows lightsabers, Ben thought.

"May I see it?" Sujux asked.

Rey handed him the saber. He unscrewed the hilt and held it at an angle, so a bright blue crystal slid into his hand.

"The Khyber crystal is cracked; it can still be used but not without a specially designed hilt." His eyes lifted to her. "Do you know of which I speak of?"

Like mine, Ben said to Rey. Say yes.

"Yes," she obediently said.

"Good. You can delve into the catacombs, obtain the needed materials to craft such a hilt, and... Wait. I go too far ahead." Sujux paused in thought. "From how I have perceived General Organa and others' behaviors, we near an attack on the First Order..." His eyes shot over to Rey. "Am I correct?"

She nodded. "You are, but I would not advertise the news."

"I surely will not. We do not need any mention of this plan to reach any loyal to the First Order."

Ben held in a snort; Rey briefly glanced at him with a smirk.

"But because of this enlightenment, we do not have the luxury of time. You cannot experiment on making a cross-guard hilt; you must fasten a saber in haste."

Sujux looked at Rey. "There are many materials required for the construction of a lightsaber to be found in the Lightsaber Crafting room, even spare Khyber crystals, I presume. Acquire everything you believe you need and return here to assemble your saber. It is too dangerous to linger long in the catacombs."

Alright, that's enough, Ben began as he crossed his arms. How does he know so much about this temple?

I'm suspicious too, Rey thought, then voiced the question.

"Long before me, my family used to serve the Jedi in that said temple."

"And why do you imply that it is not safe down there?" she asked.

"Primitive Uugteen inhabits the catacombs. I have seen none who venture into those catacombs again."

Hearing the hazard didn't sway Rey. "Dangerous or not, I must go. I need a saber. Do you know where I can enter?"

He nodded. "Yes, I can lead you there, but I will not be going in. I am no fighter, so I would probably get you killed if I were to go. Prepare yourself for a fight," he ended as he handed her the lightsaber.

Ben scoffed. What a gentleman! Guide a woman to a dangerous ruin and let her go in alone.

Rey shot him a look as she accepted the saber. "Don't worry. I will meet you outside the palace doors tomorrow morning."

Sujux bowed, then left, leaving them alone.

Don't criticize him for being honest, she thought. That's actually a good reason for not going—he could get in the way.

True. One less person I have to worry about protecting.... If I even go, he added in with a smirk, knowing it would throw off her retort.

It did.

Protecting? You don't think I can... Wait. If? Rey turned to him. You're not coming?

Ben turned to her, smug. Am I needed? You sounded confident that you could handle it yourself...

She scowled. I know what you're trying to do: you want me to admit I need you.

His grin widened. Ask nicely and I'll go with you.

Rey scoffed. I don't have to ask. She headed for the doors. You couldn't stand letting me go alone.

Ben let her enjoy her smugness, for she had him there.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.8K 233 13
Kylo Ren x Reader// "You have no love for anyone. Not even yourself." You are a pilot for the Resistance. But now it's your chance to call the shots...
4.7K 248 21
Rey, an abandoned nobody, fought side by side with the powerful Kylo Ren. She saw a future in him, a redemption of Ben Solo. She believed it, and a p...
13.6K 382 21
When the First Order attacks the Millennium Falcon with Rey, Finn, Poe, and BB-8 on board, during the encounter, BB-8 is accidentally ejected out of...
118K 2.8K 32
Reylo fanfic based on ideas for Episode 9 The rebels could first flee to a safe place and start rebuilding themselves. Rey and Kylo / Ben continue to...