Fool's Gold [Squall/Reader]

By Mythrite

[Squall Leonhart/Reader] Sailors, and pirates alike, hold close the myths of those that dwell in the oceans t... More

[Chapter 1]

[Chapter 2]

73 5 2
By Mythrite

Bloody pirates.

All they were good for was bringing destruction and mayhem. They lived only for themselves with barely a regard for how precious a life was. A chaotic life ruled by anarchy and ancient laws.

One that suited you quite well, even if the law branded you a scourge of the sea. An understandable judgement as the bodies of the sailors laid freshly slain around you. The metallic twang mixed with the salty air. You kept your eyes forward.

You wished the captain had listened to reason and not his pride. Now, his surviving men stood overwhelmed at the sight of their defeat. Afterthoughts as gunpowder, weapons, and food priorities took priority.

It was an unavoidable consequence but, regrettable.

Life should be treasured, for its short duration could be cut short by anyone's whim. Be it by another's sword, an unforeseen illness, or even the gods themselves. Rather than wait for your eventual end, you had grasped life by the handful and set sail. To live life and not be held trapped by the mundane life on land.

You were a pirate after all and your freedom was your treasure.

But, at the moment, all you craved was freedom from these hastily tied ropes.

Your eyes went to your bag in someone else's hands. They were quick to handle it with care when they heard maps were inside. They stopped their manhandling when you confessed to being a navigator's daughter.

While the lies piled on, all your mind howled about was keeping the presence of the package unknown and getting the seven hells off this damned ship.

Who knew what mischief the Crimson Devil would push for if he found out who the sender was? Or how the Luna Diviner would try to squeeze every bit of Gil out of it?

Your escorts weaved their way through the crowds. At least, your bound hands were one less worry. It wasn't the right moment to try your hand at an escape. The decks were busy with activity.

Whispers reached your ears and you recognized a few faces. They recognized you since some paled. Spite pushed you to smile but, the sniveling mess of the noblemen clinging to your back deterred the effect.

The son of a water-bogged gun had screamed 'Parley!' without even knowing its meaning. He had attached himself to you since seeing the disaster on deck. Sighing away a headache, you skillfully balanced on the plank. You were only a bit unsteady from the overbearing weight pulling your dress.

"Where's the Cap? These two shouted parley!" the escort shouted as you set foot on the familiar ship. You never thought you'd return willingly.

You were right.

"In his cabin!" a voice shouted from above on the booms.

A path cleared for you both as the crew began to buzz with talk. Too many whispers of your name for you to try to hide your identity. Your reputation did proceed you.

"Isn't that the Star Skimmer?"

"No, that's- Holy hells! The lass survived!"

"Of course, she would it's the Star Skimmer."

"No, not- She's known as [Name] on this ship and to the captain and just that, young'un."

That blasted captain was the last person you wanted to see. You walked this earth and sailed this sea making sure to avoid any mention of the man. A numbness began to strangle your heart at the sight of the finely-crafted cabin door. Memories you longed buried resurfaced.

Your escorts knocked but, instead of red, you were met with a pleasant silver. A man with aquamarine eyes too honest for this kind of life.

"[Name]?" he questioned, unsure if you were the ghost of a legend that he couldn't bring himself to believe in or, actually there in the flesh.

"This washed-up corpse," you pushed at his guilt, "would like to return a borrowed telescope."

The searing glare he sent at your mocking tone cooled.

"Keep it," he sighed before addressing the escorts. "Leave them to me. Start the tally and detach the ship. Set sail due north, following the Bright star. The Captain will be out once we finish with this business."

"Aye!" they shouted and went off, handing your belongings to him.

"Quartermaster Riku has a nice ring to it," you said.

He ignored you and stepped aside.

You couldn't decide what was worse. The door slamming shut, making the nobleman rise a pitch in his pleas to whatever gods they had in Niflheim or, the overly flamboyant feather sticking out of the Crimson Devil's trifold hat.

All you could see of the man was how far his bright red hair fell down his back. How much taller he stood above you. The strength in his broad shoulder. He was nothing like the man that had left you for dead.

"I wonder," he began, lazily turning around. "What can a pair o-"

Emerald eyes flashed to you before his grin grew as wide as a cheshire's. You rolled your eyes at expecting him to show any remorse.

This was the Crimson Devil for you.

"Well, well, well," his boots clicked closer at each word. "It's been awhile, [Name]."

"Lea. Oh- wait, you go by Axel nowadays. Right, Cap-tain~?" you sung cheerily.

Axel chuckled at seeing how cold your eyes glared at him despite the smile. It'd been awhile since he last played someone else's game. Normally, he'd have a knife to his throat by now. So, consider him curious to see what you'd become in the past years.

He draped an arm around your shoulder, "Last I saw of you was on some godforsaken bit of land as we sailed away. Now, it's been . . , how many years? Can you remind me what the charge was again?"

"Mutiny," you smiled, crossing your arms.

The rope fell from your hands, hitting the ground with a heavy thud. His arm tensed around you, so he pulled you closer. His eyes kept on yours as you reached for the brim of his hat. He obliged and leaned down.

"Seeing you in this ridiculous hat means the mutiny was successful," you patted off some dust. "Lovely color, by the way. Not sure if it was worth using me as a scapegoat!"

You threw the hat into his face and rammed your elbow into his ribs. Axel clicked his tongue, blocking the hat and missing your elbow only by a hair. He should have known better.

Your hand flew to grab one of the knives decorating his belt. He kicked forward, only to find your leg twisted into his other. Throwing all your weight into him, you slammed him down. A cold metal pressed into his neck.

"[Name]," Riku stepped forward.

You hissed at him, "Don't test me!"

"Come on, [Name], you survived," Axel coughed as your knee pushed down on his chest. The fire in your eyes the same as that day. "Look you even made a name for yourself. The Star Skimmer stealing from the Niffs to give back to the islands."

"You snitched on all of us to gain the Captain's trust, you bastard!" you growled down at him.

"Yeah but, you got your freedom. No one to order you around. Hells, Isa would've driven you crazy," Axel said, "It was a win-win back then so, let bygones be bygones. I'll listen to your deal, even if you broke the parley, you wraith."

"Parley protects me, not you, you bilge rat," you kept your place. "You can keep the hostage, the maps, and you'll have my work in exchange for a simple drop off at one of the Destiny Islands."

"First off, I don't want him, the maps are ours anyways, and you're already going to be put to work. Although, the knife at my neck is telling me the brig sounds like a better place for you. Try again."

"He's an Ulldor, a pretty high official of the Niffs. Isa would even crack a smile at the coins he'll bring in for his safe return," you eased off his chest. "Those are my maps, you can't use a worker that won't work, and what makes you think I can't escape out of that dingy place."

Axel growled, exasperated, "Let's make this easier. How about I just toss you all overboard? You've survived once! Let's see if you can pull the same trick again!"

"I'll slit your throat before you can! You crimson ba-" you pressed harder on his neck.

A gun cocked above you.

"Watch where you're pointing that, Riku," Axel glared up. "You shoot her, you shoot your precious captain."

"I know," Riku pushed the barrel closer. "How's this offer, [Name]? We keep the maps and hostage but, we use you as the messenger to drop off the ransom note. There's less risk for us and we've already set course for the port. Deal?"

"Deal," you dropped what you held in your hand. You stood, feeling any leftover rage from years ago dissipate. A gun to the head tended to that. Wood creaked and you turned to find Ulldor cowering in a corner. You were too exhausted to care.

Riku sighed, sharing in that exhaustion. His times on the ship were on and off these past years but, they always seemed to be the most chaotic. Axel's random burst of laughter reminding him further of the madness he chose to surround himself with.

"Always knew you could never hold a grudge," Axel chuckled, holding up a silver trinket that you had swiped off his hat. He had expected a knife, not to be so easily tricked.

"Where would you like me to be, Quartermaster?" you asked. You were more than eager to return to your old livelihood.

With the Captain coming closer to the window, Sora dove back into the sea. He had heard about the Star Skimmer from his short adventures on land. Kairi had had stories and stories of her. Riku, on the other hand, would always stay quiet and they'd move on. He could now see why.

"She's an interesting character," Sora hummed.

"Who?" Leon stared up to the windows of the captain's quarters.

"[Name]," he grinned. Leon frowned feeling his curiosity piqued. He cursed this part of their nature. Curious to a fault.

With a sigh, he submerged himself underwater no longer wanting to hear the rough shouts of the celebrating pirates. He felt Sora dive with him. Leon hoped this would be the last he ever dealt with the Crimson Devil's crew. Seeing the way Sora glance back every so often, he doubted it.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

388K 8K 34
In wich a one night stand turns out to be a lot more than that.
928K 50K 34
It's the 2nd season of " My Heaven's Flower " The most thrilling love triangle story in which Mohammad Abdullah ( Jeon Jungkook's ) daughter Mishel...
984K 32.6K 60
π’π“π€π‘π†πˆπ‘π‹ ──── ❝i just wanna see you shine, 'cause i know you are a stargirl!❞ 𝐈𝐍 π–π‡πˆπ‚π‡ jude bellingham finally manages to shoot...
877K 40.6K 173
π’Šπ’ π’˜π’‰π’Šπ’„π’‰ the boy who lived falls for the girl who had no one