The Fairest (Book #1)

By GoldFantasy

A prophecy was given to the Realm of Valeera, but only one kingdom took heed to it and set forth a law that w... More

AUTHOR'S GREET
REMEMBER THIS
1: The Purple Thief
2: The Lost Ones
3: Truths and Promises
4: Traditions
5: The Rescue
6: Freedom
7: The Fiisen
8: Immediate Fate
9: Court Appearance
10: An Enlightenment
11: Inner Joy
12: The Escort
13: Haminast ov Casad
14: Special
15: Number Two
16: Gideon
17: The Gift
18: The Ledge
19: Fair Consequences
20: Eyes and Ears
21: Sanction Ritual
22: Heart
23: Plans
24: Letter
25: Plan B
26: Royal Hospitality
27: Prayer
28: The Parade
29: The Diviine Decision
30: Nightmare
31: The Altar
33: Identifiers
34: It's Gone
35: A King
36: The Cursed Truth
37: Rasheem
38: The Rescue
39: The Merging
40: The Divine Six
41: A Little Trip
42: Find Her
44: The Base
43: Accusations
45: Selfless Courage
46: Welcome Back
47: Purple Veins
48: A Coincidence
49: The Search
50: Indescribable Joy
Publishing News Update!

32: The Fairest

1K 120 12
By GoldFantasy

Their screams could've cracked the sky if it was possible.

Gris' heart crumbled. He prayed their suffering would come to an end. A few people grew sick and weary from the scene, especially from the pungent odor of burning flesh. He glared at his father, who watched with a straight and firm face, eyes wide and shoulders tense, as if he were trying to suck in the energy. The commander stood with a slight smirk on his face. Fire was a part of him. Something he enjoyed; he knew its destruction. Gideon gulped down a mug of wine, cringing and openly turning away. Even his sister repulsed and clung to her mother, who tried to appear brave, but even her body trembled.

Then the clouds, still throughout the evening, burst alive. Everyone watched them move like it had never been done before, clashing and rolling in a thunderous rage above the Altar and its sacrifices. The hairs along his arms stood. The screams of six of the Sacreds ceased, but Mageia continued as if she was fighting the flames ... or rather, fighting death.

Instead of her scream demising, it grew louder, conquering every ear. Everyone covered their ears, and fright seeped into their souls.

"What's going on?" the king bellowed.

A low thunder followed, too close to be from the sky. The ground awoke in a violent quake and stirred everything and everyone unsecured. Everyone screamed and sought something to cling to. Mageia's scream came to a sharp stop that echoed like a crow's call to its young, echoing up into the dark sky.

The clouds suddenly dropped onto the realm and swept across the Altar, sending everyone standing to the floor and blowing out every fire in its path. Gris grunted, and an indescribable energy warped through his body. As if he'd fallen into water and gulped a lungful, he coughed for air, his throat and tongue sizzling in pain.

When the pain subsided, he sat up and saw the clouds sweep across Ardania and disappear beyond his eyes in every direction. Then everything stilled. Not a single person spoke amidst the darkness. Every eye was glued to the only pillar still on fire, but it wasn't normal fire. Its dark, majestic purple flames flickered gracefully. The clouds dissolved, revealing millions of stars—more stars than he'd ever noticed before—all against a purple veil. The full moon shone brighter than ever, casting a spotlight on Mageia's pillar.

Gris blinked, wondering if this was a beautiful dream, but it wasn't. This was happening. "I was right..." he whispered, searching for the king and catching his eyes.

The king was speechless and utterly afraid, and the commander stared at his hands, horrified by something else. Gris didn't wait to figure it out or speak to anyone. He climbed to his feet and sprinted towards the pillars.

"Gris!" King Dimitri called out, but Gris ignored him despite the fear in his voice.

The soldiers and guards stirred back to life to relight the torches and check on everyone. Some ran towards Mageia's pillar, swords unsheathed.

"Stand down!" Gris ordered and heard Lord Hercones command the same.

Gris shoved through the defense line, uncertain of what to do. "Stand down, I order you!"

"What're you going to do, Grisonce?" Lord Hercones asked after being helped back onto his feet.

Gris had no clue.

"Should we wait until the flames subside or...," the High Priest hesitated.

"We should clear the Altar," Gris decided.

"You heard him, clear the Altar," Lord Hercones ordered, and the soldiers hesitated before obeying.

Grisonce.

He gasped, startled by the whispering voice. He turned to face the pillar and stared up at the purple flames.

What was that?

"What's wrong?" Lord Hercones asked, his old eyes still sharp enough to read him.

"I don't know."

Grisonce. It called with more strength. He shivered. The deep voice came from the purple flames.

"Do you hear that?"

"Hear what?" the High Priest asked, then gasped hysterically. "Gris, your eyes ..."

He looked at Lord Hercones' fearful face. Lord Maurice looked shocked too, and they started to back away.

"What's wrong with them?"

"They're gone..." Lord Hercones whispered.

Grisonce! The voice was louder and sharper now, sending a sharp pain through his head and his ears. He cringed and squeezed his eyes shut, but not for too long. He allowed the energy to guide him to the top of Mageia's pillar. The purple flames shined strongly and brightly, like the sun, but did not have its deadly heat.

He squinted into the flames and saw Mageia, now sitting against the metal stake with her eyes closed and head hung low. Her long curly hair was burned off, leaving a short crop of curls. And she wore nothing. Heat, not from the dancing flames, claimed him from head to toe. With all the strength in his body, he could not look away. His uncontrolled gaze soaked in her body freely, and embarrassment and shame almost would've killed him if the flame hadn't suddenly awoke, expanded, and consumed him within seconds.

He gasped, preparing to feel pain, but instead, a blinding white light flashed across his sight.

Grisonce Arlon, the voice said, but it came from behind him.

He blinked open his eyes until they adjusted to the radiant white surrounding him. Mageia, the pillar, and the Altar were gone, now replaced by a void with white walls and ceilings that expanded into eternity. He turned on his knees, and his jaw dropped. A man stood, wearing a purple and white tunic, and leaned on a silver and purple staff with a crystal ball on its top. Gris couldn't distinguish his age, having his skin clear of wrinkles save for those at the corners of his eyes and full lips. Specks of gray had slid into his purple hair, hanging like curly drapes about his shoulders. But his eyes, purple like Mageia's, appeared darker and full of knowledge, experience, and wisdom.

"You're a Fairest," Gris said.

"I am," he confirmed, face remaining stern. An aura of innocence and anxiety hung about this man. "I am Tiivon Lariius."

Gris gasped and couldn't believe it. "You're the Vanished King, the last Fairest of Valeera?"

"The last one, indeed," he said. "I don't have much time, young man. I'm appearing to you because if Mageia and I meet right now, it would cause her to Ascend immaturely, and reopen the Starliin. This will reveal the location of myself. Valeera is in danger, has been for eras now. Some of the Diviines have become corrupted. Rasaal and Mesori are bent on shattering the Starliin to wreak havoc on Valeera. They have also captured and trapped the Ordained in their own realm."

Gris felt a nasty pressure against his chest. "The Ordained?"

"The other Fairests."

"I know who they are. I just don't understand," Gris replied.

"Listen. No one in the Serene or on Valeera can be trusted. This is why I had to disappear. You must tell Mageia to come to Fairlaana and seek me," he said, tapping his chest.

"How?"

"She will need you." He pointed to him for a second.

"Why me?"

"Again, we cannot meet right now, and you are a Komali."

"Oh, right," he said, cheeks heating with embarrassment. For eras, Komali's were used as Seers to communicate with both Fairests and the Diviines.

The older Fairest gestured for him to pay attention. "Listen closely. Her death tonight has awakened the Amethyst Heart which possesses the purest form of Hamino's magic. We will need it to fix the Starliin and to stop the Dark Gods. But Mageia must find me first so she can obtain the rest of her power and free the Ordained. More will be explained once you both get to Fairlaana. Do you understand?"

"Um ... I guess so," he responded, unable to choose a question from the hundreds swarming his head.

"Good. Protect her and restore the anointing of the Komali line."

"But—"

"Tell no one of this vision except Mageia. She will understand," he commanded.

Tiivon Lariius raised a hand and calmly puffed some purple mist into his eyes. Instincts shut his eyes, and when he reopened them, he was still on top of the pillar. The flames surrounding Mageia had vanquished, but the sky remained an eerie blackish purple.

"Grisonce!" his father shouted frantically from below.

He didn't know whether to laugh or to be afraid after receiving such a vision. Mageia still glowed, and he noticed why. He quickly took off his cloak and wrapped it around her exposed body. Then he took her hands and revealed her glowing palms with a mark etched into the lines on her palms.

An elongated hexagon with a circle in its center. The marking looked familiar.

Two soldiers climbed up the pillar, and he finished wrapping her in his cloak. He helped the soldiers carry her down to a carrybed. Once he found his footing back on solid ground, the king immediately embraced him. The bulbous man checked Gris from his face to his boots with pure concern.

"What happened up there? I thought you were going to catch on fire."

"I am fine. I must protect her."

"What's going on?"

"I was right." He glared at him and shook off the king's hands. "Mageia Unknown is a Fairest, promised by Hamino and prophesied by the Vanished King."

Eron stood flustered behind the king, skin almost sheet white. Lord Hercones pressed a hand to his heart and panted in unraveling shock.

"You had a vision, did you not?" Lord Hercones asked. "I've read once about the pupils vanishing while in visions."

Gris nodded, also remembering reading about this. "Are they back to normal?"

"They are," the High Priest said.

"You had a vision?" the king's voice shook. It caught his attention. Gris glanced at the beastly man, who now stared at him as if he had seen a ghost.

"She must be protected until she wakes up," Gris said. "I will take the royal ferry and take her to the infirmary. It's quicker."

"I'm coming with you," King Dimitri said.

"No," Gris said with an angry force that made everyone freeze. "Come, Lord Hercones."

The High Priest nodded his head and followed the prince, along with Lord Maurice, to the exit route. It was used for when the ceremony was over. Royals and officials would sail upriver to the palace rather than the long way they came. The king and his unruly company would have to take another ferry. The last thing he needed was for ignorance to bother him at a time like this.

The vision and meeting Tiivon Lariius in such dire circumstances unnerved him. No one can be trusted, floated repeatedly in his mind. He gripped the hilt of his sword as they traveled upriver. Gris knew his kingdom was going to fold on itself after tonight. 

A/N

Wow!!! Okay so what do you think? Grisonce having visions now? I guess we know what happened to the Vanished King now and what's happening in the Serene...

Thank you so much for reading. Please vote, comment, or share with outs. 

From LeQuita.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

279K 5.9K 33
WATTPAD BOOKS EDITION You do magic once, and it sticks to you like glitter glue... When Johnny and his best friend, Alison, pass their summer holid...