The Water Sprite

By moosesforgooses

Bai Qian, the young Princess of The Fox Clan flees the Den in search of peace and quiet after an argument bet... More

The Rock Pool
A Fated Meeting
An Unwanted Disciple
Mayhem on Kunlun Mountain
A New Beginning
Assessment of a War God
The Letter
Growth
Ascension
A Fated Witness
A High Immortal
Festival of Peaches
Confusion
Coronation
The Birthday Party
A Birthday Gift
A Soft Blush
Confessions
A Soldiers Return
Pirates Treasure
Kunlun Mountain
Suspicions
A Trial of Extremes
The Hunter
A Hunted Hunter
Heat
Flame on Flame
Rejected
The Healer.
An Eel
A High Goddess
The Interview.
A Deeper Understanding
Marriage
The Announcement
Final Preparations.
Dissension
Matrimony
Family
Epilogue

The Return

1.6K 44 2
By moosesforgooses

19,995 Years Ago

"Mo Yuan! " a voice called from above him, one he recognized but it seemed to sound as if it were coming from far away.

"Mo Yuan, open your eyes!" Zhe Yan said a little more firmly as Die Feng and Chang Shan entered his chamber with the medicine he had sent them to make.

Opening his eyes slowly, it took sometime for his sight to come back to him, but as his chamber on Kunlun Mountain came back to him, a strange and very vivid dream began to drift away as Zhe Yans concerned face came into view.

"Good  Mo Yuan.  You had me worried."  He said as he reached for the goblet of medicine.  Then sitting down on the side of the bed, he looked him over as Die Feng helped him to sit up.

Grimacing at the pain in his head and back, Mo Yuan also looked himself over.  "What happened?" he asked, he felt as if he had been struck by lightening.

"Before any talking, you are going to drink this first." he replied as he handed him the frothy liquid which smelled as if something had died in it.

Keeping a straight face seeing as his Disciples were there with him, he said nothing as he took the goblet and drank it down quickly.  The bitterness was so foul that the urge to gag had him lying back down very quickly.

Taking several deep breaths, the sweat pouring off his forehead, had Chang Shan immediately moving forward with a damp cloth knowing he was going to need it.  Having made the medicine himself, he knew the affects would be instant, but waving him away, Zhe Yan ordered both boys from the chamber.

Waiting until they had left he raised a privacy barrier, before once again looking him over with a sharp eye.  "You've been out cold for three hours, do you remember what happened?" he asked watching his face closely.

"Three hours.." he whispered softly.  Thinking hard, he honestly couldn't remember anything other than a strange feeling he had been somewhere for a very very long time.

Seeing the confusion on his face and the way he was trying to work out why he was in bed feeling sore and ill, Zhe Yans worried frown only increased the confusion.

"I don't remember anything Zhe Yan, but..." he trailed off as he tried to recollect the dream before Zhe Yan woke him.

"But what?  You were found at the base of the Mountain unconscious.  No one saw or heard a thing, and if Die Feng hadn't returned from the Celestial Palace you would still be there." he said growing more worried by the second.

Panicking, Die Feng had raced him back up the Mountain and then sending Zi Lan to fetch him seeing as Mo Yuan tended to prefer his expertise for his own health rather than the Celestials Medicine King, Zhe Yan had wasted no time.  He had literally scared his sixteenth Disciple to death with the speed he had flown them both to get there.

On arrival Zhe Yan had automatically examined the wound on the side of his head.  It was raw, bloody and seeping clear fluid along with blood, which instantly had him emptying vast amounts of energy into it, before applying a balm he had Chang Shan make the moment he arrived.  Yet no matter what he did, nothing seemed to help. The wound continued to seep and he was losing too much blood.

But after two hours had passed, he had sat and literally watched the wound slowly heal itself.  Though thinking it was Mo Yuans own cultivation and immense energy that was healing himself,  he just continued to keep an eye on it.

But what had surprised him the most, was deep jagged claw marks on his back.  What kind of animal could attack their worlds most powerful man and leave him in this state, he wondered to himself.  But having also tried to heal those, he also watched them heal themselves, though he would carry the scars forever.

"Zhe Yan, I had a dream......" he said as his voice trailed off again.

"A dream?  What kind of dream?" he asked paying very close attention to him, which Mo Yuan felt unnerving even though he knew he was worried.

"I can't remember, but it feels as if I have been gone for a long time." he whispered while trying to remember anything at all.

"The only thing I remember is a bright light that hit me when Bai Qian and I were arguing." he said before suddenly forcing himself back up to get off the bed.

"Qian Qian...." he whispered breathless as he threw his legs over the side of the bed, only to have Zhe Yan take a firm hold of his shoulders and gently push him back down.

"Mo Yuan, I do not know what happened, but no white light could have caused the injuries you  have." he said firmly and bring Mo Yuans attention back to himself.

"Injuries?" he asked looking at himself again, and as his eyes his his chest, he vaguely recalled feeling breathless as something was squeezing him too tightly.

"Well first is your head wound.  What ever caused that, was very powerful.  Your head was split open when I arrived."  He said as Mo Yuan raised his hand to his head and the very slight twinge of pain he could still feel.

"But it's not your head wound I'm concerned about, because it is fully healed.  It healed itself.  But was concerns me more are the four deep claw marks down your back." he said which gained him a stunned wide eyed stare.

"Claw marks?  I don't remember any...." his voice trailed off again as the smell of rotting flesh suddenly assailed him.

Noting his state of confusion and anxiety, Zhe thought it best he did not mention the unusual clothing he found him in, along with what looked to be a crudely made dagger hidden inside his undergarments and nor did he think it wise to mention the crudely made fur slippers he was wearing either.  

Holding onto his head, Mo Yuan tried to remember what had happened, but other than the bright light and the strange feeling that he had been somewhere else for a very long time, he couldn't remember anything and it was beginning to frustrate him because he felt as if it was important, he needed to remember.  But the more he tried to force the memories to the surface the worse the pain in his head became.

"Qian Qian Zhe Yan.  Is she alright, I have to see her." he said forcing himself back up." only this time Zhe Yan didn't try to stop him, he knew it would be pointless anyway.

"You said you were arguing, was she with you when you saw the bright light?" he asked, because as far as he was aware, she was not with Mo Yuan when he had been found, or she too would have been brought up with him, and that thought had him on his feet very quickly.  

"She could' still be out there." Mo Yuan snapped as the thought of her having been left to die hit the both of them. 

Grabbing hold of Die Feng as they hit the entrance to the Mountain, all three flew to the bottom to search for her.

"Find her!" he almost screamed as both he and Zhe Yan opened their magic to search out her essence.

But no matter in which direction they aimed their magic, they couldn't feel her.

Rising up into the air, both Zhe Yan and Mo Yuan scouted for her from the clouds, while Die Feng searched the valleys immediately surrounding the main gates.  He knew enough of her energy to know it if he felt it, so he too opened his magic to search her out.

Trying to recall where they had been in the sky exactly, he remembered he had caught up with her just above the gates, and had maybe travelled outside the gates for some time.  So slowly he moved across the sky with his essence on the ground searching for the smallest flicker of her essence when Bai Zhen suddenly came into view.

Racing through the sky at them he barely came to a halt in front of them before stumbling onto his cloud with Zhe Yan just as fast closing the distance.

"What is is Zhen Zhen?" he asked knowing instantly that whatever brought him racing through the sky at him at that speed, had to do with Xiao Wu.

"It's Xiao Wu.  An enormous flash of light hit the Grove and when I investigated it I stumbled on her.  She suddenly appeared in front of the rock pool.  I don't know how to explain it High God Mo Yuan, but I think you had better come," he said breathlessly and shakily , which both men could see clearly.

The speed Zhe Yan had moved at to reach Kunlun Mountain, was the same break neck speed all three moved at, to make it to the Peach Tree Woods and the rock pool where she was found curled up tightly into a ball on her side.

Instantly Zhe Yans energy poured into her.  It took several minutes as he scanned her entire body, though all three were not sure exactly sure if she was in her animal form or not.  To Bai Zhen, she looked to be in fox form, but the sight of her fur was unsightly, it was a colour that suggested she was very ill.

But after examining her, Zhe Yans frown deepened as Mo Yuan moved closer before falling to his knees beside her.  Stroking her fur, he gently rolled her over only to stumble back along with Zhe Yan and Bai Zhen.

"Is that clothing?" Bai Zhen asked moving closer to her.

"I believe so." Zhe Yan answered him as he too moved closer to bend down beside her.

But it was Mo Yuan who pulled the fur covering up over her shoulders that were exposed to all of them.  Staring at her in alarm and confusion, Mo Yuan was once again trying to understand what the hell had happened.

And he wasn't the only one.  "Mo Yuan, her energy." he whispered as he pulled his hand away from her body.  "It seems to be closed down." which to Zhe Yan only added to the mystery of what he was seeing.  Not only had they both been found wearing unusual garments that looked to have come from an ancient time, with weapons that were hand made, but her essence wasn't just closed down, it was blocked.  

Leaning over her, Mo Yuan gently picked her up, then turning, all three walked her back to the hut so Zhe Yan could look her over properly.  No one said a word as both Mo Yuan and Zhe Yan lost themselves to their thoughts.  

Zhe Yans thoughts were on the bright light and her energy.  He knew her trial to High Goddess was upon her, he had felt the stirrings of it months before, and he had a very strong suspicion that what ever had taken place, had something to do with it.  But that Mo Yuan had also returned injured and in the same crude clothing, suggested they had been together somewhere.

But he could not understand why Mo Yuan had no memory of it, and why her energy was closed down.  And he had another strong suspicion that it had something to do with Mo Yuan.  But what? he wondered as they reached the little hut.

Following him in, he waited until Mo Yuan had laid her down on the bed before moving in on her.  Now that her body was fully unfurled, he once again opened his essence and scanned her entire body before hitting her core with a burst of energy to see if he could unblock it, but it was useless.  No only did she remain in a deep slumber, but her energy was tightly bound.

"Zhen Zhen, fetch her mother." he ordered as he forced Mo Yuan onto his feet.  "I will need her here to undress and clean her down, I also need to check her body for any wounds." he said as he firmly escorted him from the room.

And though Mo Yuan did not want to leave, he was in no position to argue, but Zhe Yan did walk him to the low table to sit and talk until her mother arrived.

Sitting themselves down, Zhe Yan conjured two bottles of wine and two cups.  "Have a drink Mo Yuan, it will calm your nerves." he said as he poured for them both.

"What did you see when you scanned her?" Mo Yuan asked as he took the cup gratefully.

'Other than the strange clothing and lack of essence? Nothing to worry about, but her hands have callouses on them." he said taking a sip of wine.  "And believe me when I say, that girl is the laziest creature to walk the realms, she has never known hard work in all the years she has lived.  But those callouses look to be very old." he added frowning deeply.

Then looking at Mo Yuan thoughtfully, as if he were deciding on whether to mention his suspicions or not, he decided against it, because he wasn't certain and he needed more information first.

"She was not wearing that fur when we got hit by the light Zhe Yan." Mo Yuan said looking back at the hut even more confused than when he arrived.

"Oh?  Would it surprise you to know, that you too were wearing very odd clothing when you were found?" he asked which immediately had Mo Yuan gaping at him.

"I was?" he asked stunned.

"Not only did the both of you suddenly appear looking as if you had walked out of the dark ages, but you were wounded severely by an animal.  How is that the Great War God and The Heavenly Father could be reduced to such a primitive state and be so badly wounded?" he asked him, and this time it was a direct question rather than an observation.

 Blinking blankly at him, Mo Yuans mind was turning very quickly.  But he, like Zhe Yan came to no conclusion.  "I don't know." he said honestly.

It was an hour before the Empress arrived, after which Zhe Yan left Mo Yuan and Bai Zhen to sit and stare at the lake waiting for the verdict, whatever it was and to think over everything he had seen and heard since he awoke. 

And it was another hour before they both emerged from the hut, looking tired but decidedly happier than when he entered.

"She is fine in that there are no major wounds to her body, the callouses are slowly disappearing and her general health is very good." Zhe Yan said, which brought a sigh of relief as they listened.

"But we cannot wake her, and nor can we release her energy.  But we have both come to the same conclusion.  She is not going to wake until we can figure out how to release her energy." he said frankly and pointedly at Mo Yuan as if he were responsible.

But the Empress was very much like her daughter, in that she saw something all three men failed to see, something very important that would assist her daughter and it too involved Mo Yuan.

"You awoke on your Mountain because that is the place you are most happiest, is it not?" she asked smiling at him.

Nodding his head, she was correct.  Though the Celestial Heavens was where he could be found more often than not, Kunlun Mountain was his home, his place of refuge.

"Qian Qian however awoke beside the rock pool, the same one she visited for thousands of years as a student of yours and the only place she would run to when she needed a safe place to cry or a friendly ear to listen to her.  It was her home away from home, her refuge." she said still smiling at him.

Nodding his head that he understood, Mo Yuan still didn't understand the connection between the two, or why it was important.

"Mo Yuan think about it from her point of view, she is telling you something." she said chuckling lightly, before taking a seat beside Bai Zhen who was slowly beginning to get what she was referring to.  Neither of them would tell him, because it wasn't their place and because the Empress liked to see him sweat a little.  

Though it took Zhe Yan a little longer to click, but when he did, he too sat down to smirk at him.

Confused and beginning to anger, Mo Yuans got up and walked away from them.  In fact he walked all the way to the rock pool to think.  Thousands of years were brought forward as he did as the Empress suggested.  He put himself in her shoes and tried to become of one mind with her even sitting down on the rock wall before swinging his legs over the side to paddle his feet as she had done so many times in the past.

Through the years his mind travelled as he brought up every memory.  The tears, the laughter, the mischief, the tantrums and the idle gossip on everything from her parents to himself.  He remembered the little girl who had made him laugh so hard his belly ached to the young blossoming woman who was beginning to learn about herself and her place in the world, until eventually he reached that one defining moment.  Like a strike of lightening it hit him.  

She may not have had a voice, but she was speaking to him loud and clear. And like the wind, he was on his feet and running for the hut as fast as his legs could carry him.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

19.8K 986 39
Thrown away from her own kingdom, princess Ran unearths herself traded in exchange for expanding his land, by her own half-brother. To make matters w...
3.6K 87 31
She's the Queen who lost a war. And he's the man who won. Theodora was the Queen of Polis, a city-state that lost the war against the most powerful e...
1.9K 201 34
One typical day I read a random book just to pass my time. 'Contract marriage with an attractive stranger? How does the legendary hero constantly app...
Tears Of Kai Yuan By Avigayil

Historical Fiction

75.6K 3.1K 35
Location: Ancient China Date: T'ang Dynasty During the most flourishing era in Ancient China, all seemed to be well for the people. The kingdom was g...