Otherworldly Darkness [Book 5]

By chiskey56

Declan and Owen have been together for as long as anyone could remember. They knew they were mates before the... More

Duat.
Set.
New Home.
Getting To Know You...
Guess Who's Staying For Dinner.
Daddy Issues.
Best Dessert Ever.
A Lazy Day.
The Morning After.
Set Who?
Nice To Meet You.
Smut!
Problem Solving.
Finding Our Inner Wolves.
A Trip To Remember.
A Family Reunion Of Sorts.
Just Another Day.
Meanwhile...At Home.
Gone Feral.
Great Escapes and a Mate Named Xerxes.
Just Fluff and Stuff.
Playtime?
Welcome Back.
Remember?
A New Family Addition.
Unexpected Visitors.
A Family Affair.
Not sure yet.
Turning Point.
It Begins.
Almost...
Finale [Part 1]
Finale[Part 2]
Next Book!!

More Family Drama...Of Course.

10.8K 450 85
By chiskey56

Standing there in the middle of the street was a man that looked simply stunning in himself. His bare arms were on show for all who were looking and trust me there was plenty of staring going on between Owen and I alone. He stood there with his arms across his chest as he stared at the four of us.

"Aren't you going to introduce me Uncle Set." The deep voice practically purred as he stepped closer.

As he moved closer we were able to take in more of his appearance. He was quite the looker. There was an armor like helmet on top of his head that resembled a falcon's head. His dark hair was long and straight and when the random lights that littered the streets caught a lock or two I noticed something interesting.

His hair wasn't entirely hair. It was hair mixed in with dark blue feathers that seemed to be connected to his head much like his normal hair. It moved and shook as he tilted his head to the side to inspect us, that smug smirk never leaving his face.

"I really don't want to but Horus these are my mates Owen and Declan and this is my nephew Horus." Set replied in a groaning voice.

"Charmed to meet the both of you." He grinned but there was something dark behind that innocent smile of his.

"Nic-Nice to meet you to?" Owen replied although it sounded more like a question that a greeting.

"Same." I replied causing his attention to turn to me. He looked me up and down, checking me out before his eyes focused on me.

"So what are we doing tonight Uncle?" Horus questioned as he moved forward draping his arm over my shoulders causing Set to groan loudly and glare at him.

"The three of us our on a little date of our own and you and Anubis will be heading back to the house." Set replied.

"Nah, I think I'll trail along with you and get to know my new uncles." He replied smirking.

'I don't want to cause any drama right now but I don't want either of you to be uncomfortable. This is all up to you two, what do you think?' Set's voice echoed in our heads.

Turning towards him I studied his face and watched as his eyebrows furrowed as he glared at the newcomer standing beside me. I didn't want to vote that we allow him to stay but at the same time I wanted some time outside of the house and I had a sinking suspicion that this would be the only time we'd get in a while.

"How about we just make this a big outing. Set you stay with us and Horus you can stay with Anubis and try not to upset our mate." Owen spoke up answering for all three of us.

"Whatever." Horus shrugged.

With a loud sigh Set rolled his eyes and turned around and began stomping off like a child that just got sent to his room. I couldn't help but laugh at his childish antics but I could see that deep down there was a lot of tension between the two even if it came off as playful banter.

"So uncle dearest, where are we headed?" Anubis deep voice sounded in my ears as the weight of his arm landed on my shoulders. Turning to my side I flinched away from the face that was invading my personal space so easily.

"Well I'm headed with my mates and you can trail behind us." I replied trying to pull away from him.

"Awww, don't be that way Decky." He purred as he leaned closer to me.

He was getting a little too comfortable for my tastes forcing me to pull myself away from him as quickly as possible. Glaring at him, I turned around to face Owen, grabbed his arm and pulled him along with me to follow after Set. The sounds of Anubis' furious barking grew more and more distant as I stormed away.

How could someone act like that around someone who is clearly taken? It doesn't matter if you don't get along with you're family, in the end they're still you're family. Sure Set may have done him wrong but after all these years I'm sure he's more than made up for it.

"Umm, Declan?" Squeaked Owen from beside me.

"What?" I questioned.

"You're hur-hurting my arm." He whimpered. Immediately I released him and apologized profusely. 

"I'm so sorry Owen. I wasn't thinking straight." I muttered rubbing the back of my neck and staring down at the ground.

"What happened?" Set popped up beside me and snatched up Owen's arm to stare at it.

"I'm sorry." I repeated myself without looking at Set.

"I didn't ask you to apologize Declan I asked you what happened." He repeated himself sounding a bit on edge.

"I was just trying to get away from Horus and I was angry and I wasn't paying attention to what I was doing. I accidentally hurt Owen and I'm so-"

"Yes, I know. You're sorry." Set replied with a soft sigh. "I understand how much Horus can push your buttons but that's just his personality. You can't let him get under your skin otherwise this won't be the first time you lose your cool. His father was the exact same way."

"Owen honestly, I will never do that again. I can't apologize enough. Please forgive me." I pleaded finally looking at him.

In true Owen fashion he flashed me the most dazzling smile and rushed me with his arms wide open. He wrapped his arms around my waist and nuzzled his face in my neck as he squeezed me tightly. I wrapped my arms around him and held him close.

"It's fine Declan. I know that you wouldn't hurt me like that." He replied.

"Well now that that's all over I say that we get a move on. It's quite boring watching you three kiss and make up." A voice huffed behind us.

Turning around I watched as a now shifted Anubis was rolling his eyes at Horus who had his arm draped around Anubis' shoulder. The two of them looked quite comfortable together; well Horus looked comfortable while Anubis looked annoyed.

"Horus, why are you even here?" Set questioned in another huff of annoyance.

"I already told you that I wanted to come visit." He shrugged in response.

"You're a nuisance." Set muttered.

"Yes, we've covered this already. Now let's get going. How about we go that one bar with the amazing dancers?" He questioned, his eyes sparkling with mischief.

"Well...I do-don't...umm...think that they'd like it there." Set stuttered out.

"Why not?" I replied turning to stare at him. The way he reacted seemed awfully suspicious.

"Let's just say the last time Horus came down Daddy dearest wasn't actively looking for his mates." Anubis replied.

Owen looked between Set and Anubis a few times before crossing his arms over his chest and glaring at Set a bit. I laughed at the cute expression on his face as he stared at Set who was trying to avoid eye contact.

"Babe, you can't blame him for wanting a little company every so often. He didn't know he'd be meeting us anytime soon." I explained.

"That doesn't take away from the fact that he slept with someone else." Owen's bottom lip jutted out away from his face as he pouted like a four year old. 

"Can we talk about this another time when we're not out in public babe?" I questioned leaning down to whisper in his ear as people began to take notice of us.

"Whatever." He snapped.

"Trouble in paradise?" Horus smiled as he walked closer to us.

Spinning around I came face to face with the beauty that was our new nephew. The innocently inquisitive look on his face was overpowered by the smug look in his eyes only enhanced by the equally smug smirk on his lips.

He was certainly confident in himself. I doubt that he was ever truly denied anything with the over confidence that exuded off of him. Horus' eyes twinkled as I continued to stare at him trying to figure out his game. What was he here for? Obviously he didn't want to just meet the mates of his "dearest" uncle.

Which could only mean that he was playing some sort of game but what could that game be? Obviously he wanted to mess with Set otherwise he wouldn't have been down here after finding out about us. 

"So if we're not going there where should we go?" I questioned.

"There's a tavern up the road that serves the most delicious meals and plays light music that created and amazing atmosphere." Set spoke up thankful for the change of subject.

"Sure let's head there for a little night out, Owen no drinks for you and Horus keep close to Nooby so we won't have to deal with you." I directed as I took hold of Owen's hand pulling him away from Horus and followed behind Set as he began to walk off.

Thankfully Horus kept quiet on our walk all the way to the lovely building that held the tavern that Set was speaking about. Our small group was attracting a lot of attention from passerbys as we walked through the streets. Two visitors and three gods casually strolling through the streets was enough to cause a mini commotion.

"Do you go through this every time you leave your home?" Owen questioned Set as we made our way into the little room filled with ethereal music and delicately sweet smells.

"I rarely leave my house and come here. My work doesn't require me to come here often and I try my best to stay away for this specific reason. It's like being a celebrity in your world. These souls are just waiting here but they maintain all their personalities, likes and dislikes from their lives. Most of them will try and flirt with me or even try their luck and try to fight me. 

Unfortunately for all of them Amun is usually with me and keeps them away from me. None of them would dare try and get past that mountain of a man. But now as we stand out here looking for places to stop their are some that may try to approach us. So usually whenever Amun's not around I don't go out." He explained.

"We could have stayed home if that was the case..." Owen started.

"No, I couldn't keep you guys cooped up in the house the entire time Amun was gone. That wouldn't be fair to you guys." Set replied with a soft smile on his face.

"Wonderful! Now that we've gotten through the dramatics of this situation can we get something to drink? I'm dying over here!" Horus bellowed into the serene atmosphere.

Horus was far different from Set and yet they were both alike. They reminded me of brothers always trying to one up the other rather than Uncle and Nephew trying to work out their problems. Horus didn't seem like such a bad guy but I'm sure just like his father and even Set, there's more to them than meets the eyes.

*********

"And then he thought that he could win by building it out of rocks! I mean....I mean....seriously! How dumb is that?" Horus shouted as we barely made our way down the street.

"Aww...Set, baby, don't worry...I think it's cute." Owen giggled as he clung to my shoulder trying to keep himself up.

Somehow he had managed to once again get drunk. I'm pretty sure that Horus may have slipped him some of his own drink without any of us ever knowing. He had once complained about his drink tasting funny but Horus had quickly shot him down telling him that his taste buds just weren't accustomed to their refined tastes yet.

"We need to get them both home now." Anubis groaned as he once again pushed Horus away from him as he tried to lean against him.

"I know. Hang on to him and Declan bring Owen over here." Set replied as he motioned for all of us to come by him. I knew exactly what he was about to do and I wasn't sure how well that was going to work with an overly drunk Owen.

"What are we...what are we doing Snuggle Bunny." Owen purred as he rubbed his body against my side sensually.

"We're headed home Owen." I replied trying to keep myself in check.

"Are we going to have fun?" He cooed in my ear as he struggled to keep himself upright.

"No. No fun tonight. We need to make sure that my nephew and you get some rest because you're way too drunk right now." Set chided as he wrapped his arms around my shoulders and then around Anubis'.

"Set! Set....The sands moving again Set. I wanna make the sand fly too..." Owen giggled as he looked around at the sand on the ground that began to float around us. He began blowing childishly at the stray grains of sand that found there way closer to us.

"One day my love." Set whispered to him genuinely with a soft smile on his face.

"Awww....Uncle Set is so sweet!" Horus cheered from beside us. "I'm sure you don't deserve it...."

What? What was that? Did he just say that Set didn't deserve it? I shot a look out the corner of my eyes to look Horus over. He was certainly drunk and it showed but I could still see the sly looks he was shooting towards Set. They weren't the kind a nephew shot his uncle. It wasn't sweet or even playfully mean it was mischievous in nature.

"I mean, after everything you've done to my family I don't think that you should be allowed to be happy." He growled out lurching forward as our feet were placed firmly on the floor in the center of the main room in our new home.

"I know." Set replied sadly. Almost like it was a natural reflect to his comments.

His arms slipped form around my shoulders as he moved towards Anubis and reached out for his nephew. Horus was still spouting hatefully words about how much Set didn't deserve a happy ending like the rest of them after hurting his father and taking away years of his ruling career.

"You don't deserve your mates. Owen alone is too beautiful for you and Declan....Oh, Declan I can make a meal of." Horus' voice trailed off as he growled lowly in his throat spinning around to look at the two of us.

The look in Set's eyes became murderous as he spun around as well and glared at the back of Horus' head. He opened his mouth to say something we I caught his eye and shook my head telling him not to. Although those were probably his true feelings he was still drunk and unable to truly defend himself.

"Let's get you to bed Horus, okay? We're going to make sure that you never want to drink again." Set grumbled before turning to Nooby and telling him to bring him Horus' special elixir. The smirk that caused Anubis' lips to curve at one end told me that whatever this was it wasn't something that we should give Owen.

"Do we...we get to go with them?" Owen pouted as he stared up at me with those big soulful eyes.

"No babe, we're not going with them but we can go to our room so you can sleep off all that alcohol." I laughed.

"Fine..." He grumbled as he crossed his arms over his chest in defiance as I pulled him along. Nooby had shifted already and darted past us quickly holding a ceramic jar in between his massive teeth as he ran down towards the hall that Set had disappeared down.

I led Owen down the hall no longer needing to second guess myself as to where I was headed. My feet automatically led me to the room as if my body knew that's where I needed to be. It was funny how easy I've become so relaxed in the house. 

"Is Set coming back?" Owen whimpered as we stopped in front of the bedroom door.

"Yes, he'll be back eventually." I replied pushing the door open.

"Good. I miss Setty Bear." He answered sounding a bit worn out. Reaching up with one hand he rubbed his eye as he pulled at the hem of his shirt with the other hand. He was trying to disrobe but he just couldn't seem to make it happen. 

Standing back I watched as he quickly got frustrated with the top. It refused to come off and he couldn't seem to figure it out. He looked up at me with big puppy dog eyes as I made my way over to him trying to hide my laughter.

"Are you laughing at me?" He muttered.

"No Owen." I answered with a wide smile playing on my lips. 

"Of course you are, jerk." He snapped crossing his arms over his chest.

"I promise I'm not laughing at you now." I replied reaching forward and pulling him closer to me.

He jerked forward but the stubborn look on his face never changed as he glared at the wall. Reaching down I grabbed the hem of his shirt and pulled it up and over his head revealing his smooth porcelain skin. My mate was truly beautiful and I was nothing but lucky to have him.

"Did I miss something fun?" Set's voice echoed from the doorway as the sound of a door closing echoed in the otherwise quiet room.

Turning around my heart rate picked up as soon as my eyes caught sight of Set's toned chest. Various scars and marks littered his side and arm. Seeing them made me want to kiss each and every one of them as my fingers raked over his defined body.

"Umm...No. Nothing fun happening here. Did something fun happen over there?" I questioned really realizing now that Set had no shirt on.

"Horus decided to throw up on my shirt and I had to take it off. Anubis is watching his cousin and I'm in here to watch my mates." He grinned as he took a step closer to us and the bed,

"Setty Boo Bear!" Owen cheered as he rushed pass me and to Set who stood there stunned by the nickname.

'Setty Boo Bear?' Set mouthed to me and I just shrugged my shoulders not knowing how to answer him as he wrapped his own arms around Owen.

"Can we go to sleep now?" Owen cooed as he clung to Set.

"Of course my sweet little mate. Anything for you." He smiled down at Owen as he ran his fingers through our mate's hair. Owen leaned into his touch and literally purred as Set continued to run his fingers through Owen's blonde locks.

After that Set finished undressing Owen who managed to stay still long enough for Set to undo his bottoms. After they were off he shot off like a lightening bolt sent from Zeus and was already buried in the bed right in the middle. He smiled widely at the both of us before asking us what was taking us so long.

Not being one to disappoint my mate I quickly shed my clothes and climbed into the bed on his right side. Immediately he rested his head on my chest. The bed dipped on his other side causing him to roll away from me a bit before Set's arms wrapped around him tightly as he laid his head on the pillow right above Owen's head.

"Goodnight my precious mates." Set spoke softly as the soft lights that lit up the room faded into nothing.

"Goodnight Setty Bear." Owen yawned. "Night Decky Poo."

"Goodnight to both of my amazing mates." I whispered lowly as we drifted off to sleep not knowing what the future might hold.

**********

Sorry for the long wait. Also this is probably not what you were waiting for but I had such terrible writer's block. I hope that I can write more chapters easier than I did this one. All feedback is welcome as long as it's respectful. I hope you enjoy, vote and comment.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

213K 5K 10
Mason and Madison are twins of the prophecy. They are hybrids half vampire, half werewolf, and half warlock. There on this journey to find there all...
6.3K 397 12
Note: Two books come before this one. You do not need to read Cat Eyes to understand it, but you need to read Green Eyes! Owen had never thought abo...
116K 3.4K 19
Maya has been deeply in love with her best friend Riley for as long as she can remember. She doesn't want to lose Riley so she never told her how she...
410 68 15
Owen has spent the two and a half years since the accident trying to build his credibility with Chimera and it's finally paid off; he and his new par...