A Starship Called Starsong

By CrystalScherer

Computer updates are simple, right? Apparently, that's not always the case when it involves a Spaceship's AI... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Author's Note

Epilogue

12.7K 1.3K 565
By CrystalScherer

* * * Epilogue * * *

*** Ten Years Later ***

I left the dining area and smiled as a handful of young children ran past me. They didn't stop or slow down as they greeted me.

"Morning, Rachel!"

"Rachel! Mom said she wanted to talk with you later!"

"Bye, Rachel!"

The three rounded the next corner without waiting for a response. They usually weren't quite this excited for school, but they were clearly eager to get to class.

"They get to try out various forcefields and forceshields in the training area today."

I could understand their excitement now. Most of the children loved the hands-on activities, and their lessons were riddled with them as they learned about numerous areas and the work that went into each job. I continued walking down the corridor as I headed towards the Bridge.

"We should reach the next stop in two days."

There was no one in sight, so I responded out loud, "I wonder how our two favorite metal traders are holding up..."

I could never think of those two without at least smiling slightly. They had become very good trade partners over the last ten years.

"Brandon will probably be bringing his protégé along for this trade. He is planning to retire and is introducing him to the traders while getting his feet wet."

I had not expected that, but it made sense since neither of those men were exactly young anymore. I grinned in anticipation while asking, "What are the odds of us taking him by surprise?"

I had grown to enjoy stumping the various suppliers as well as surprising them to the point that they were beyond words – all while being completely serious, of course. It was rare that any of our usual suppliers underestimated me, but I still occasionally got the chance to meet new suppliers or arrange one-time deals. Then all bets were off.

If they weren't prepared for a Starship Captain, or didn't realize that I was one, then I got to have more than a little fun at their expense. Such occurrences were disappointingly rare though. When a large or well-known trading ship docked, most of the suppliers looked up the picture of the Captain and Procurement crew in case he or she happened to see them in the main trading hall.

"Next to zero. It is actually his son, and from the information I am digging up, he is quite eager to meet you."

I raised an eyebrow. "Oh?" 

I seriously hoped that the old trader wasn't trying to set up a love match. These two had never tried anything like that, but several others had attempted such a tactic, and I had put my foot down.

Starsong explained, "Apparently, he very clearly remembers the day we first stopped there. At lunch, his father came home stomping and yelling in a rage about having to work with his nemesis. The son came home at supper to find them happily having a glass of his best wine like best friends."

I relaxed and grinned, shifting to the mindlink out of habit. 'Okay, that is hilarious. For a moment, I thought you were about to warn me about another matching-making attempt lurking on the horizons...'

Some suppliers seemed to think that it would provide them with an excellent tie for great deals. I hadn't even really paid attention to the young men they had brought along with them as I had set the suppliers straight. If that person had wanted to meet me, then showing up at a prescheduled trade negotiation was not the place.

"None of those were suitable in the least. Most of them were the sorts that I would not allow on board either."

I was not overly surprised by that detail. Although, the presence of a new Officer had me wondering if Starsong was up to something since the Officer was remarkably young for his position, being only a few years older than me. Derek had been hired about two months ago, and our preferences and interests were astonishingly similar. And Starsong was being oddly silent on that topic...

"If you choose to pursue anything, then that is your choice. I will look out for you and support you, of course. It wouldn't be the first time that a Captain married one of his or her Officers."

I chose to drop the subject. Time would tell where it would go, but I still had plenty of time to make such decisions. And I certainly was not about to rush such a decision. Friendship first, and then we could see if it might go anywhere.

I reached the Bridge and was warmly greeted by the evening Officers. I was early, so the main day shift hadn't arrived yet. The Officers were relaxed while remaining alert, and the friendly atmosphere was exactly what I had worked towards.

I took my customary seat. Even after so many years, the chair fit me perfectly while still being extremely comfortable. Not that anyone else would know, since Starsong would probably have some serious objections to another person sitting in the Captain's chair.

"Indeed. They would regret such an attempt."

I smirked slightly as I distantly recalled the humor that had laced his voice during our first meeting when he had gotten me to sit in the Captain's chair on the Tyndel. If only I would have known what that event would have sparked...

"You probably would have still done it if you had known the long-term outcome."

I didn't even have to think about that answer to that one. Had I known that it would have turned out like this, I would have probably gone along more willingly. Starsong's presence in my mind didn't bother me in the least now. In fact, if he were to fall silent, I would seriously miss his quiet words and advice.

There was an odd freedom in not having to worry about confiding something to a trusted friend – and that was what Starsong had become. I could always rely on him to know whatever answer I required or indulge in a mini mental rant without worrying where it may go. He was an anchor to my sometimes excessive energy and occasional mischievous mood.

Starsong had helped me accomplish so much, most of which benefited people on all sides. We had helped with numerous rescues, while pirates were known to avoid our normal path, which created a very safe travel lane. We were also well known for our ability to act as peace negotiators that insisted on all parties benefitting from the resulting treaty. And woe betide the person that broke the agreement to attack their neighbor with no warning...

The crew fully supported me and each other. At this point, they were closer to family than friends. Some were, in fact, family. It had taken a few years to arrange everything, but we were now set up so that the crew could have a family on board. The crew had been thrilled, and those who had spouses had worked with Starsong to find them positions on the ship if they were not already on board.

Cynthia and Logan had certainly wasted no time in getting married. They had three children somewhere inside the ship, the oldest of which had just raced past me. The ability to have their children on the ship with them was a rare thing in any of the space careers. My crew did not have to leave the Starship if they wanted a family, and, so far, only two people had left their position on the ship.

The children may have been growing older, but so had my crew - and some of my older crew members were right on the verge of retirement. Some of my Officers had actually been putting off their retirement, both out of loyalty while training new Officers, as well as waiting for the Starship planet to be opened for settlement.

I glanced at the invisible side-room door; hidden inside was a data storage device that held a Starship AI. This particular AI wasn't really interested in being tied to a spaceship, but rather, wished to be in charge of the Starship city that was being built.

We would reach that planet in about two months and could upload the AI into the Main Database Console there. At that point, the city would be open for settlement, and I knew that at least a dozen of my Officers would be remaining. They were keen to enjoy a relaxing retirement while occasionally helping out around the brand new city.

They had done a lot of work and deserved their retirement. I had worked closely with my Officers, and I knew I would miss them. When they told me that they were planning to retire shortly, most of them had tears in their eyes. They had said that they would miss me as well as working on the Starsong. I knew exactly what they meant, and I felt the same.

This life had a purpose that didn't revolve solely around money and profit. It was unique and benefited many people in various small ways. I couldn't imagine trying to live any other sort of life. This lifestyle fit me perfectly.

There had been some rough patches during the first few months, but those times were long past. How life had changed since those early days. In the very beginning, I had been a Cargo Bay assistant who had been reluctantly pressed into helping a newly-aware AI. Then, I had been tricked into accepting the position of Captain.

I had spent long hours arguing with the AI that I wasn't fit for the position, only to later try to convince other people I was, in fact, the Captain. Now, most who saw me would have no doubts that I was the Captain of a Starship.

Other spaceships were trying to mirror the Starships' policies and ideals in hopes of trying to also duplicate their great success. More regular ships were starting to allow families on board, as well as trying to promote a more unified and supportive crew. Our assistance with peace negotiations was also creating a more open and honest relationship between various planets and companies.

Changes were present in most of the places we regularly visited. Some were noticeable, such as areas without any traces of pirates or lawless bandits; while other changes were subtle, such as crew members staying on spaceships longer because they didn't have to leave in order to have a family. Having more experienced and dedicated crew members was making a difference on the ships they served on.

Whether they were small changes or large ones, all were the types that had been rare, or even unheard of, a mere decade ago. I could see them, whether I looked at my distant memories, or simply gazed around me. I could even see the changes within myself as I had helped to mediate some of these improvements.

It had only been possible because of a Starship called Starsong.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.8K 85 17
She still looks the same, sounds the same and loves the same but is she the same, only time can tell. A toxic love story between two ex lovers. The e...
5 0 1
Back in the late 1990's a great PC game came out called FREELANCER. It was an open galaxy adventure space game that had a good storyline. I spent u...
6.8K 1K 47
Book 1 of CANAISIS ∞ The Last Living Ship trilogy (Chronicles of Canaisis 1) Can a ship, born to sail the ocean of stars to ensure Humankind's surviv...
38 1 5
It begins in the year, 640.6, 50 years after the last Great War was done between the superpower alliance of Iron Cross and ATLAS. The World is at pea...