Runaway- CaptainSwan AU

By Oncers_For_Life

Foster placement has never been great for Emma Swan. She's a runner. She looks for any and every opportunity... More

• Prologue •
• Chapter 1 •
• Chapter 2 •
• Chapter 3 •
• Chapter 4 •
• Chapter 5 •
• Chapter 6 •
• Chapter 7 •
• Chapter 8 •
• Chapter 9 •
• Chapter 10 •
• Chapter 11 •
• Chapter 12 •
• Chapter 13 •
• Chapter 14 •
• Chapter 15 •
• Chapter 16 •
• Chapter 17 •
• Chapter 18 •
• Chapter 19 •
• Chapter 21 •
• Chapter 22 •
• Chapter 23 •
• Chapter 24 •
• Chapter 25 •
• Chapter 26 •
• Chapter 27 •
• Chapter 28 •
• Chapter 29 •
• Chapter 30 •
•Chapter 31•
•Chapter 32•
•Chapter 33•
•Chapter 34•
•Chapter 35•
•Chapter 36•
•Chapter 37•
•Chapter 38•

• Chapter 20 •

1.1K 63 124
By Oncers_For_Life

Why

Why

Why

Why

Why?!

She didn't get it. She'd tried to think of a better reason of why, but nothing came to mind. She supposed he just... didn't want her there.

Why did he say she had plans the night of the game? It had been gnawing at her for the past couple days. Game night was approaching, slowly but surely, and Emma still hadn't asked him.

They were sitting on his bed. Killian was reading a book while Emma had all kinds of work splayed out everywhere as she tried to get everything done. Killian was already a week ahead on his assignments.

Emma was more like a week behind.

She ran her hands through her hair in frustration. Stress was eating her alive. Even with Killian answering any and all of her questions, it was all still so stupidly difficult.

Killian glanced up from his book for a moment. He watched as Emma rubbed the bridge of her nose. Rubbed her eyes. Repeatedly ran her hands quickly through her hair. Turned pages roughly.

"Em," Killian said softly.

Emma closed her eyes. Her head was pounding.

"Yeah?"

"Take a break," Killian suggested, reaching for her hand. Emma pulled it away before he could grab it and pulled out a notebook.

"I can't," she mumbled. "Too much to do, I'll never get it done."

"But, love, if you don't take a break, you're just going to exhaust yourself. Give your brain a rest, and come back in half an hour or so refreshed. You'll work much better, I assure you," Killian tried.

Emma let out a frustrated breath.

"Okay, thanks for the psychology lesson, but I have work to do."

Killian raised his eyebrows at her reaction. She'd never snapped at him like that before. That was new.

"I'm gonna work in my room," Emma said quietly. She gathered her overwhelming amount of materials in her arms and left.

Okay, no. That was new. She had never up and left his company before. What was going on?

Confused, Killian set his book aside and got up to follow her. When he tried to open the door, it was locked.

"Emma?" Killian called, knocking.

"I'm trying to work."

Killian frowned.

"Please let me in."

He could hear the annoyed sigh that escape her lips. Moments later, the door opened. Emma forced a smile.

"What?" She asked.

"Are you... okay?" he asked, concerned.

Emma scoffed. Was he serious?

"I'm great," she said, not even close to meaning it. She walked away from him and to the desk where she now had her work laid out.

Okay. That was definitely not normal.

"Are you mad at me?"

"No."

...What?!

"Did someone do something to you?" Killian questioned again.

"No."

"Then why are you shutting me out right now?"

"Because, Killian, you don't even want me there!" Emma exclaimed. She rubbed her eyes, clearly stressed out. The weight of her work with all her wonder and worry concerning whatever existed between her and Killian was too much. And it was getting to her. Emma blinked back stupid tears that decided to emerge.

"What are you talking about, Emma?" Killian asked. He was far beyond confused.

"The stupid game, that's what. You don't want me there, so why would you want me in the rest of your life?" She muttered, rubbing her eyes again. Maybe she was overreacting a bit, but after everything she'd experienced with people, who could blame her? She'd been unwanted her whole life.

It hurt to think she could be wrong about Killian being different. Her back was to him. No way she'd turn and let him see her so damn torn right now.

"That's what this is about?" Killian asked, almost amused.

Emma got up and faced him.

"Yes, Killian, that's what this is about. Cause I-I care about you, and I don't get you. One minute you're kissing me, and the next you're telling your friends that I have plans on the night of a game you're invited to when you know that I don't have any. And I-"

She was cut off. By his lips.

"Shut up," he whispered against her lips, kissing her softly. He had to distract her. Get those ridiculous thoughts out of her head. Because there was no way in hell he'd let her believe he was playing with her.

She wanted to kiss him back. She wanted to melt and let him do this.

"No," Emma said, pushing him off with tears spiking her eyes. "Do you kiss every girl you know to shut her up?"

Her heart hurt.

Killian realized... she really thought he didn't care. And that enough could've destroyed him. Kissing her only enhanced her worries. Seeing the pain in her eyes, in her heart, he couldn't take it.

"Oh, Em... please don't cry. You've got to all wrong, love..." Killian said softly, stepping towards her. Emma stepped back.

"You know I care about you, right? More than anything. More than anyone. I told my friends you had plans because you froze. I didn't want you to feel embarrassed, plus I figured a loud crowded stadium isn't exactly your scene, so I said you were busy. Of course I want you there, I would love for you to be there. I was only trying to help," Killian explained, getting closer to her as he spoke.

Oh.

"And I kissed you... well, firstly because, how could I not? How could anyone not?" Killian mumbled, caressing her cheek. He dragged his thumb across her lower lip. Emma's heart was racing. Beating out of her chest. Her breath hitched.

"Secondly, because I sensed you felt as though I didn't care... I wanted to prove that wrong. Bad move on my part," Killian said, scratching the spot behind his neck and circling an arm around Emma's waist.

Oh.

"And lastly, because..." he leaned in by her ear and whispered, "you're cute when you're mad."

How could anyone on the entire damn planet- no, in the entire universe- ever stay mad at him?

Emma blushed, biting her lip. Killian smirked, raising an eyebrow as he nudged her nose with his. Emma gave him a faint smile. Then his face became serious.

"You do know I care about you, right? You know I'd do anything for you?" Killian whispered. Emma looked down and nodded. She felt silly now, for thinking lowly of him. Killian caught her chin and tilted her head back up.

"Don't hide," he whispered with a faint smile.

Of course he cared. This was Killian. He'd never lied to her before, so why would he start now? She believed him. She trusted him.

Emma swallowed thickly. Her breath came quick as he was leaning in, and all of a sudden, she was meeting him halfway. She surprised herself, wrapping her arms around his neck once their lips connected and ran her fingers through his hair.

"Mmm," Killian sighed pleasantly. Emma smiled against his lips. He liked that. She ran her fingers through his hair once more, tugging slightly. Killian groaned, backing Emma to the wall and deepening their kiss. Emma gasped as her back hit the cold surface behind her. His hands reached waist, pulling her closer.

"Kids! I'm home!" Alice called from downstairs. The sound of the front door opening and shutting echoed throughout the house.

Emma was the first to pull away, flushed and blushing fiercely as their lips parted. She let out a soft giggle as Killian left little parting kisses on her lips.

What a kiss.

Both of them were thinking it, the fire still burning in their eyes.

Her head rested on his chest. The sound of his heart beating ricocheted through her head like a bullet of comfort. Killian rubbed her back gently, his chin resting atop her head.

"Hello, you two," Alice said as she approached Emma's room. A smile spread across her face as she saw the two shyly pull apart.

"I was going to get dinner started, but I wondered if you might want to eat out instead? There's a new Italian place that's just opened I'd like to try," Alice asked, grinning internally as she watched Killian and Emma exchange looks that had nothing to do with her question.

"Out sounds great, Mum. Thank you," Killian smiled pressing a kiss to his mother's cheek. He gave Emma a flirty wink as he left her room, doing a heel click on his way out.

What a dork, Emma thought, shaking her head with an affectionate laugh. She was smiling so widely, her cheeks hurt, and the blush on her face couldn't be more obvious. When she noticed Alice smirking at her out of the corner of her eye, Emma wiped the adoring look off her face in embarrassment.

"So, uh... how exactly do I dress for a fancy dinner?" Emma asked.

Alice let out a kind laugh and put her arm around Emma as she led her to the closet.

"Don't you worry, lovey. I'll help you out."

*  *  *

"Need some help, British Boy?"

Killian smiled to himself as he struggled with his tie. She hadn't called him that in a while. He turned to face her, and found himself frozen on the spot- speechless.

There she was, leaning against the doorframe with her arms crossed and her face as beautiful as can be without a drop of makeup. A flirty expression rested on her face. Not only that but...

Emma was wearing a dress.

And Emma was not a dress kind of girl.

"Swan... you... wow," Killian managed, a smile growing on his face.

"Your mom made me wear it," Emma said with a little laugh. "I didn't have much of a choice. It's pretty uncomfortable," Emma admitted, hugging her arms and pulling the dress further down.

Killian smiled at her. He couldn't believe how perfect she was in his eyes. How was it possible for one person to be this beautiful, this... perfectly clumsy and adorable?

He approached her, curling a stray strand of hair behind her ear.

"Well, your discomfort is a cross I'm willing to bare. You cut quite the figure in that dress, Swan," Killian smiled, tracing his fingers from her hair to caress her cheek softly. "You look beautiful," he whispered.

Emma blushed, smiling. For the first time in her life, she felt her own beauty. Emma felt beautiful, because Killian went out of his way every second to make sure she knew it. And she actually... believed him.

"Thank you," Emma said with a wide smile. "You don't look so bad yourself," she complimented, biting her lower lip shyly.

She was biting her lip.

It was driving Killian crazy.

He wanted to kiss her. Push her up against the wall and kiss her. He wanted her in his arms, her lips on his, pulling him closer. Running her fingers through his hair...

"What?" Emma asked softly.

"Hm?" Killian hummed, snapping out of his daze.

"If you look at me any harder you're gonna drill a hole in my head," Emma blushed.

"I'm just... so damn glad I have you in my life," Killian said softly, smiling.

"Oh," Emma said, smiling widely as she looked down shyly.

"Need some help with that tie?" She asked, giving herself an excuse to reach her arms around his neck. She didn't wait for an answer.

Her hands slid across his shoulders, delicately gripping the cloth in her hands. Killian watched her every move intently, entranced by her touch. By how close she was. Emma pushed the knot of the tie up slowly, her eyes flitting up to meet Killian's.

Their hearts were beating fast.

Their eyes closed.

"We should head down to the car," Killian whispered, his nose brushing Emma's.

Emma glanced up at him questioningly.

"Cause I'll never let you go if we don't," he said in a raspy voice.

How the hell was she supposed to walk away from him and to the car now?! Two could play at that game.

"I'd be okay with that," Emma admitted, biting her lip. A slight smirk spread across her face.

She had no idea what they were. If they were a couple or not. If they were a real thing or not, but in that moment, she couldn't care less.

Killian chuckled, his voice laced with care as he eyed her deeply.

"You can't do that to a man, Swan," Killian said, letting out a shaky breath.

"I just did," Emma grinned, brushing her lips against his.

Just when he thought she'd kiss him, Emma's lips reached his ear.

"Let's go," she whispered, walking away and leaving him standing there with a stupid grin on his face.

Game on.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

334K 10.9K 56
When he denied his own baby calling her a cheater. "This baby is not mine." But why god planned them to meet again? "I would like you to transfer in...
1.1M 19.1K 131
requests (open) walker scobell imagines AND preferences :) -- #1 - riordan (04.30.24) #1 - leenascobell (05.29.24) #2 - adamreed (04.30.24) #2 - momo...
422K 28.7K 43
♮Idol au ♮"I don't think I can do it." "Of course you can, I believe in you. Don't worry, okay? I'll be right here backstage fo...
421K 12.7K 94
Theresa Murphy, singer-songwriter and rising film star, best friends with Conan Gray and Olivia Rodrigo. Charles Leclerc, Formula 1 driver for Ferrar...