DEMON SENSE (Completed)

By rachloves2write

After the deaths of her parents, and her sister’s “suicide” via possession, Viktoryia Price is compelled to a... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32

Chapter 26

161 13 3
By rachloves2write

CHAPTER 26

And spill I did. It took me a while to open up completely, but with her encouragement, I eventually managed to get out all the details. I told her about my ability to sense demonkind, and how I’d been able to do it since I could remember. I told her how they had stalked and tormented me, and that their harassment only intensified, as I grew older.

At first, they had watched from a distance, their muddled forms lurking in the shadows. Of course, my parents thought my fear of the dark was typical, so they’d given me Kat’s old Disney princess night-lights. When I complained of the monsters in my closet and under my bed, they’d gotten me Monster Repellent.  Unfortunately, the cheap, sweet, bubble gum scented spray did not keep my demons away.

It wasn’t until sixth grade that I had my first experience with the possessed. Before then, they’d only appeared to me as dark shadowy forms. In other words, nothing that posed a serious threat. That changed the night of my first sleepover. I hadn’t even been able to make it through the night without incident.

My first, and only friend at the time hadn’t even realized she’d been possessed. All she knew was that one moment we were dancing and singing to the Spice Girls with water balloons in our training bras, and the next I was in the fetal position screaming. My parents had to call her mom to pick her up and take her home. Needless to say, we weren’t friends after that. She thought I was crazy, and she let the whole school know it. And I had let them believe it. I kept to myself after that.

The next time I’d been met with demon hosts, was the night of the accident. I told Kelsey about that, too. And about Kat’s suicide via possession. I held nothing back. By the time I was done speaking, she knew it all, including how I’d met Nathan and Larson, and my undead self-defense training. And, of course, the biggest catch of all: how one could only slay a demon by killing its innocent human host.

Kelsey gaped. “Woah, Vik. That’s, like, über intense.”

“Yeah, well, you asked.”

“Well, I can tell you one thing for def—I’m sure glad I’m not you.”

I snorted, “Yeah, thanks.”

“Really though,” she continued, “You’ve got this whole dark, mysterious aura about you. Two very hot, very unavailable men living under the same roof as you, and you’re forced to entertain me. You’ve got it pretty rough.”

A small laugh escaped me. “Yeah. Entertaining you is by far the worst part of it all,” I replied teasingly, and then we both broke out in laughter.

An unusual sound caught my attention. Kelsey stopped laughing as soon as she saw the change in my demeanor. I knew my body had gone rigid, and my face serious.

“Did you hear that?” I whispered.

Kelsey’s eyes had widened slightly. She responded equally as quiet. “No. What was it?”

I put my finger to my lips in the universal sign for silence. We both sat as quietly as possible, straining our ears to pick up any sound. That’s when I heard it again, barely noticeable above the store music. Somewhere nearby a child was crying.

Our drinks and cake forgotten, Kelsey followed me around the building. Just under a lamppost on the sidewalk, I saw a figure huddled on the ground.

A little girl sat with her knees to her chest, sobbing into her hands. Her mousy brown hair hung around her face so I could only base her age on her stature and outerwear. By my guess, she was only nine or so. Slowly and very cautiously, I approached the girl, trying not to startle her. What was with me and finding young, stray girls in need of help.

“Hey, um, are you okay?” I asked. Her crying only grew fiercer. I didn’t know what to do, and apparently Kelsey hadn’t a clue either. She and I exchanged unsure, uncomfortable looks.

I crouched awkwardly beside the young girl. “Where are your parents? Are you lost?”

Her cries finally stopped, but she continued to remain huddled up on the dirty ground. I scooted a step closer and held out my hand, hoping she’d take it and follow me back to the coffee shop.

When the girl lifted her head, I got a glimpse of those black onyx-like eyes. This wasn’t just some lost girl we were dealing with. She was a full-fledged host to one of my hell-bent stalkers. I didn’t have it in me to hurt a child, and perhaps this demon had known as much, deciding to use this innocent little girl as a weapon against me.

But Larson’s training had taught me to be merciless, and to never hesitate. Without even thinking about it, I reacted. My arm snapped back, just as the girl launched herself in my direction. If you ask me, a girl her size, and in her previous position, shouldn’t have had that kind of propulsion.

My actions were solely instinctual. I stuck out my hand, palm open, in an attempt to stop her. She ran straight into it. Her head snapped back violently, and she hit the floor.

My breath came in quick, short gasps. “Oh. My God. I’ve killed her.”

Kelsey was already on the ground, pulling the motionless little girl into her lap. The girl’s forehead was already turning an irritated shade of red. No thanks to me.

Kelsey checked her pulse, and replied, “She’s fine. Just unconscious.” Her voice trembled a bit, but mostly she seemed collected. She, unlike me, had taken the proper course of action by coming to the girl’s aid. Meanwhile, I had left the girl to lie there, starring in disbelief, shocked by my actions.   

Thoughts fired off in my brain as I fought to calm myself. How badly had I hurt her? Serious head or neck trauma could affect her in a multitude of ways. If I’d done more than knock this kid unconscious, I would never be able to forgive myself.

“You okay?” she asked at seeing my expression. I was sure all the color had drained from my face. And I thought I might be sick.

I swallowed. “Y-Yeah. I think so. You?”

Her nod was a bit jerky. “Yeah. But I’ll be better after we get her somewhere safe.”

 “Help me carry her to the café. Someone can call an ambulance from there.” I said, still trying to think things through.

“What do we tell them?” she asked nervously, motioning towards the café and all the people inside it.

Honesty’s always the best policy…unless you’ve just knocked a child unconscious. I said the first thing that came to mind that would keep me out of jail, “That we found her like this. I doubt she’ll remember any of it anyways. They never seem to.”

“Okay,” Kelsey said with a determined nod, sounding more confident.

Kelsey rose, picking the girl up from behind, with her arms locked under the young girl’s armpits. I went over to help since she was struggling, but I ended up carrying the girl myself. For such a little girl, she was a lot heavier than she looked.

“How incredibly thoughtful of you,” a sneering voice said from behind.

I froze and almost dropped the girl in the process. Thankfully, Kelsey was nearby. Without having to say a word, I transferred the girl to her. Again, she struggled, but managed the weight.

Kelsey didn’t know the person standing behind me, but she understood the threat based on my reaction. Still, I doubted she fully grasped the danger at hand. After all, looks were very deceiving—as we previously learned from the little girl—and our new problem appeared just as falsely angelic.

Trish was the Barbie from Hell. I didn’t even have to see her to know it was her. I’d recognize that slutbag’s voice anywhere.

I turned to face my ex-hostage. “Hello again, Trish.” I said her name as if it was something repulsive, like syphilis. A disease she most likely had while living.

“What a hideous surprise to see you again. Although, I cannot say that I am too disappointed in our little run-in. You see, I’ve been meaning to thank you for our last rendezvous.” She barred her fangs in a poor imitation of a smile. “Tsk, tsk. Don’t you know? You never mess with a girl’s hair.”

I smiled at the memory, which only enraged her further. A snarl rose in her throat, her navy blue eyes furious.

Not good.

“Take the girl, Kelsey,” I ordered, keeping my eyes trained on the vampire in front of me. If she thought to make a move for them, I’d attack.

“No! Not without you.”

It was the first time I felt a flash of annoyance towards her. Did she not realize we both might die if she hung around? Even if I could take on Trish by myself, if Trish actually got a hold of Kelsey, I’d be powerless to do anything. Not only that, but I’d be forced to comply with any threats she made. That would be a nightmare.

Even with Kelsey drawing attention to herself, Trish never took her eyes off me. That was both a good and bad sign. Trish’s personal beef was with me, and she looked dead-set on getting her revenge. But if Kelsey didn’t shut-up, Trish might get annoyed enough with her enough to snap her neck. The Vamp might even decide to kill the unconscious girl for the fun of it. I had to do something before things escalated further.

Kelsey obviously wasn’t going anywhere, the stubborn teen. It was up to me to keep Trish focused. Maybe she’d forget Kelsey was even here. I could only hope.

“Are you sure you want to take me on?” I challenged.

Her mocking laugh echoed through the empty street, which I now realized was dark. When had the sun set? Surely, Nathan or Larson would arrive any minute to chastise the two of us for being out past our curfew. I just had to stall until then.

“Oh, I am quite sure. As I recall, you had to have Larson save your ass last time.” She looked around theatrically. “I don’t see him now. Who’s going to protect you from the big bad wolves?”

Trish stalked closer. When she stopped, she was close enough to reach out a hand and touch me. “You know, Atlas said he’d pay me double what he offered last time if I brought you to him. He even promised to let me have a sip. Now, wouldn’t you say those are both excellent motivators? Oh, I’ll kick your ass this time bitch. And I’ll make double the money doing it.”

As much as I tried to conceal my dread, I felt my face blanch to white for the second time tonight. It wasn’t that I was afraid she might beat me—I was fairly confident in my abilities. It was much, much more than that.

While Trish had been ranting, I’d concocted a plan. Yes, I could stall and wait to be saved. Or—and this was the part that horrified me—I could throw the fight and let Trish take me. Why would I do something so stupid and reckless? Because Trish was going to take me straight into enemy camp. Larson’s problem, and mine as well, would be solved. Atlas’s hideout wouldn’t be much of a secret anymore.

Of course, the advantage would do me no good if Atlas killed me before I was saved. And I was counting on being saved. I was literally about to bet my life on it. Once before, Nathan had found me, appearing at Club V when he couldn’t have possibly known where Larson and I had gone off to. Thinking about it now, Nathan had actually managed to find me on two other occasions. He always seemed to be there whenever I need him. I was relying on him to be there for me this time.

“Wow. Cocky much? Just so you know, Trish, I had a few drinks in me last time. I’m completely sober now. Willing to see how things turn out this time?”

It was almost too dark to tell, but I was almost certain I saw hesitance in her eyes. Not two seconds later however, Trish’s confidence was back and she was springing forward in my direction.

I feigned a defensive stance as Trish’s right leg spun around, her whole body coming off the ground just so that her black boot stiletto was level with my head. Her foot made contact with the side of my face with such a force I’d never felt before. Pure agony exploded all along my jaw, cheekbone and temple. The pain had been so sharp that I’d momentarily been blinded.

Trish scoffed in the darkness. “Ha! This is way too easy.” There was another blow to my head, and then another. There was no need to pretend anymore. I fell to my knees, vomiting, I think. Kelsey’s screams were the last thing I heard before I blacked out.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

528K 12.8K 32
Echo Fairchild, older sister to Clary Fray, knows about the Shadow World. The day that Clary turns 18, is a day that she would never forget. Secrets...
31 0 22
In a post-apocalyptic world a curse has spread, leaving people with enhanced abilities. But with some people stronger than others this creates fear...
252 40 10
This is a YA fiction with some supernatural elements to it, I will be adding new chapters to it weekly on Fridays. Zoey, aka. Evile, is an enchantres...
54 0 25
Hereby a little novel I wrote when I was 16 and published on my 18th. Now also available as a paperback on Amazon (worldwide). Enjoy! BELONG "A famil...