Shadow Light

By AlessandraxAlex

Astrid Shadows is the only Light wolf in the Shadow Light pack, bound to the future Alpha of her pack she nev... More

Shadows and Stone
Hidden Shadows and Stonewalling
Two Stones and One Shadow
The Shadow Among Stones
The Harmony of Light and Shadow

Disguised Shadows and Alpha Stone

5 1 0
By AlessandraxAlex

Sunday came faster than I expected it to. I've been anxious the entire weekend leading to today, fear making its way into the pit of my stomach. Nightmares plagued me, my subconscious bringing out all my fears even while I slept.

Alice bought the wig yesterday, it was a dark brown color with blunt bangs and it was waist length; longer than my own shoulder length hair. Looking at myself in the mirror, I frowned realizing that even with dark hair I bore no resemblance to my mother. Instead I could see the uncanny resemblance to my father and brother; sharp jawline, arched eyebrows, long dark lashes, eyes slanted upwards, and high cheekbones. My mother's features were soft and feminine, the only similarity would be our noses. Of course, I've never been praised for my looks, at least not to my face. It has always been about my hair, the silver locks that haven't been seen in the last hundred years has finally reappeared. How lucky it was for the Beta to produce the only light wolf in over a century with a former low-ranking female.

I shook my head, now was not the time to start dwelling on my past I had to hurry up before Phoenix changes his mind. I wasn't the only one with anxiety, Phoenix was worried his father would send me back to my pack without giving him a chance to fight for me. We were both scared and nervous for today's outcome.

Phoenix poked his head into the bathroom and gave me a once over, "Ready?" He asked, our eyes meeting in the mirror. I nodded my head and followed him out.

"This isn't how I pictured myself meeting your parents." I tried to joke, but it came out strained.

He chuckled, "In a disguise or did you mean begging them to help you stay with your one true love." Phoenix's head was tilted back so I could see his teasing smile.

My lips twitched, and I swatted his arm, "Both, I guess." I paused, "I mean look at me, never in my whole entire life have I ever looked anything but put together and now I look like I just rolled out of bed." My hands gestured to the sweatpants that had to be rolled up several times to stay on my hips, the baggy t-shirt, and blanket of a hoodie. Luckily, Alice bought me sneakers to avoid embarrassing me further by wearing Phoenix's shoes.

We were about to go out through the door, Phoenix turned quickly causing me to be unable to stop in time before I bumped into his chest with a "oomph". His arms wrapped around me, I looked up at him with a questioning look. "I think you look absolutely stunning whatever you wear, especially if it's my clothes." I wanted to duck my head, suddenly feeling shy, but his fingers kept my chin tilted upwards toward him. The look in his eyes ignited a warmth in the pit of my stomach, and not for the first time, I cursed the mark on my neck. His nose touched my nose, and my lips parted in anticipation.

Our moment was interrupted by the ringing of his phone, and we both groaned in annoyance. "We're leaving right now, Alice." Phoenix ground out when he answered the phone and then he hung up and sighed rubbing his face.

We grinned at each other when our eyes met again, he grabbed my hand, and squeezed it. I took a deep breath as he opened the door, my first step to the outside world in almost two months. Getting me out of the apartment complex was going to be a problem if anyone decided to speak to Phoenix and inquire about who I was. I put on a pair of sunglasses and pulled the hood over my head, as we entered the stairwell to avoid the elevator which would have people on it.

Once inside the building, I snuggled into Phoenix's side to further hide my appearance. We reached his car quickly, and once inside we buckled up to go on our way. After a bit of driving in silence, Phoenix cleared his throat and side eyed me, "So Alice tells me that you broke the shackle with your bare hands, barely any effort on your part." His face was scrunched up in confusion, "So I've been wondering how long it took you to figure out you could do that?"

I detected a bit of fear and amazement in his face, "About a few days in." I shrugged my shoulders. His face blanched as he looked at me before turning his head forward again. My lips twitched in amusement, I decided to tease him a bit more, "I mean it's not like anyone worth their salt couldn't break out of that flimsy thing, right?"

His hands tightened on the steering wheel, Phoenix's response made me burst out laughing, "I tested that out myself to make sure it would hold under our strength." He whispered horrified.

There were tears in my eyes from how hard I was laughing at his expression, eventually it morphed into one of amusement as he realized I was wheezing from how long I had been laughing, "Don't worry my damsel, my strength can protect the both of us." I poked Phoenix's arm and went into another round of laughter.

Phoenix kept eyeing me, but a smile was clearly on his face as he took in the joy on my face at teasing him. A sad expression overcame his smile, "I haven't heard you laugh this much in so long."

My laughter faded after that and I looked at him, but he refused to meet my eyes choosing to keep them on the road. I blew out a breath that disturbed the blunt bangs resting on my forehead and leaned back into my seat. "Are we almost there?" I asked him, leaning forward again and staring out the windshield squinting my eyes trying to figure out where I was. It was futile considering the only places I have ever visited were my pack obviously and the city where the Alpha meetings were. There were the occasional times I would visit cities close to my pack to meet with Phoenix.

We were entering woodland area, "Almost." Was his response.

I sighed, he was the one who had to bring up unpleasant things and then he shuts down. Again, I leaned into my seat and crossed my arms. My anxiety was back in full swing, I couldn't sit still anymore because of it. I was humming with nervous energy, Phoenix picked up on it, and his hand found mine to give me a reassuring squeeze.

A house began to appear, it was a ranch style house with a wrap around porch. There were two cars outside, there was a garage attached to the house. It was different from the homes found in my pack, I turned to look at Phoenix. His knuckles were white from how hard he was gripping the steering wheel, I looked towards our entwined hands and noticed we were both squeezing the life out of each other's hand without realizing it. "Text Alice to distract your mom as we ghost through the house into your father's study." My other hand came to gently release Phoenix's hand from my death grip.

He sighed and did as I told him, "Ready for the mad dash?" Phoenix turned to look at me with a small smile.

I gave him a devilish smile, "I'll do you one better." It was still day and gathering the shadows enough to hide me would be difficult, there was enough shade in this area from the trees that it wouldn't be impossible.

Confusion swam in his eyes as we exited the car, but when he realized what was happening as the shadows began swarming around me. I never told Phoenix about the magic Shadow Light possessed, it was a guarded secret. Our pack name is not because of the color of our fur, or eyes and hair. The name comes from our ability to manipulate the shadows and before the last light wolf died there was another method. Safely cocooned in the shadows, I followed behind Phoenix using his shadow in the mix as well.

Phoenix's mother cried out for him resulting in us rushing up the stairs to his father's study. I released the shadows as soon as we were upstairs. Phoenix looked at me with questions in his eyes and I shook my head gesturing for him to knock on the door we were standing in front of. "Stop sneaking around and come in." Called out the voice behind the door,

This was it, where we find out whether we're on our own fighting for our relationship or if we'll be the reason for war. With panicked looks on both of our faces, we inhaled shaky breaths, and Phoenix opened the door. "Hey dad." Phoenix greeted his father once the door was shut behind us, "So I need your help with something." Gone was the confident man I knew, in it's place was a pleading teenager who wanted his daddy to get him out of trouble.

"Aren't you going to introduce me first to the young lady behind you?"

I stiffened behind Phoenix before moving to stand next to him, I kept my head down letting Phoenix decide whether to reveal myself now. Phoenix let out a nervous chuckle, "I met my mate." He elbowed me, signaling me to reveal my identity. I peeked up at him through the sunglasses and he nodded his head in confirmation. His father, who I could see clearly now, was looking at us with curious eyes. His eyes were a lighter brown then Phoenix's, hinting more towards hazel, and his hair was darker than Phoenix's. Their builds seemed to be about similar, as well as most of the facial features. With one hand I lowered the hood, taking the wig off in the process, and with the other I removed the sunglasses. Phoenix's father took a sharp intake of breath as I was revealed to him.

"Meet Astrid Shadows." Phoenix said.

I would really love some feedback on this story, maybe some votes. Let me if I'm not as witty as I think I am with these chapter titles :/

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.8K 58 24
Fading Lights and Moonlit Stars are two of the most powerful packs but have been enemies ever since they were created. It is forbidden for wolfs from...
1.2M 40.1K 39
Kyle is the Alpha of the White Shadow Pack. For years, he searched for his mate and never found her. When he finally finds his soul mate, she is not...
50.8K 2.1K 38
Sierra is the alpha's daughter and only child, yet she's kept hidden in the pack house like some best kept secret. Her father never includes her in p...
436 28 15
Now that Alex had gained a new ability of shape-shifting into a wolf, she will find that life in the pack is not as easy as she expected. With Icy go...