Argent Eye

Por Louisa_Miller

Earth, Water, Air, Fire, Lightning, Ice and Metal. An Argent Eye is chosen by only one. Two? A rarity. Three... Más

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36

20

6.3K 387 71
Por Louisa_Miller

I went to bed early that night, despite not having to go into uni the next day. Being an Argent only seemed to exhaust me at the moment, either from excitement or dread.

When I opened my eyes, I knew I was still asleep. I knew that wherever I was right now, it wasn't real. Everything was so familiar, yet at the same time, it was different. I sat up on my bed and peered out the window, and gasped. Most of the building had been destroyed, and had thick, black smoke rising from within the rubble. Except my bedroom- for some reason, that was still in tact. It was also very dark outside, and when I looked at my clock, it was blank. I picked up my watch, but the hands on it were gone. Wherever I was, there was no sense of time. Perhaps time didn't exist here.

I slipped on my shoes and made my way down the stairs which seemed to still be in tact, before walking outside. My feet seemed to take me back to where I was stabbed with the Black Prometheum, and for a moment I wondered why. But then, when I looked up, I saw a dark mass of something floating there. It was big, about the size of a small car, perhaps. As I got closer, I realised what it was.

Darkness.

I stood there for a moment, staring at it. It didn't really scare me too much, although it put me on edge. The dark tendrils of it snaked in all directions, like smoke, but it remained in this one spot.

Child... it hissed, in a deep voice inside my head.

I frowned. "You talk?"

No... I am the darkness within you, it said. I do not speak. It is you who reads me.

"Oh." I said, taking another look around. Everything was the same, but broken. Cars had crashed in the middle of the road, and the cracks in the concrete threatened to swallow them. There was no sign of life. No sounds save for the darkness in front of me.

You came here for a reason, the darkness said.

"I did?"

Yes. I brought you here, because I am trapped inside you.

"Why?" I asked. "Why are you inside me?"

Somebody put me there.

"And you let them?"

Yes... we struck a deal. However, it seems that deal did not go as planned. Now I am trapped in a useless body.

"Um, excuse me, but I am not useless." I said. "In fact, you're the one trapped inside me because you struck a deal. If anyone is useless, it's you."

How dare you?! The darkness bellowed. I took a step back, but then I realised that he couldn't hurt me. Not here, anyway.

"How dare I? You are the one who has taken control of me. So stop all this authority shit, because we need to talk."

There was a moment of silence.

Fine. It said.

"Tell me what this deal entailed." I said.

I do not take orders from a child, the darkness said.

"Well, first of all, I am not a child. I'm nineteen years old. Second, you're not exactly in a position to ignore me. You're inside me, not the other way around."

Once again, there was a moment of silence. I was promised recognition, and then after that, I would be able to do as I pleased.

"Recognition?" I questioned. "What's that supposed to mean?"

It means I will be used, for once. I would have inhibited a body so that I might walk this earth. I have spent an eternity lurking in the shadows, and so when I was made an offer, I took it.

"Who's body were you supposed to inhibit?" I asked.

The one who summoned me, of course. He promised me that once he used me for what he wanted, then I would be free.

"And who might that be?"

The darkness was silent.

"Hey!" I shouted. "Tell me who it is."

He is of fire and lightning. An Argent Eye, like yourself. One who knows no bounds and will do whatever it takes to form his new world.

"What in the shit?" I said out loud.

I do not understand your question, the darkness said.

I just chuckled. "So let me get this straight. You made a deal with this dude, who was going to let you inhibit him to create this new world and then set you free afterwards?"

Yes.

"And you believed him?"

I could almost sense the shock coming from this mass of darkness.

What do you mean, child?

I laughed. "Seriously? You think this guy is going to inherit this incredible power and then just give it up? That would never happen. I've experienced the way you make me feel, and anyone who struck a deal with darkness would have no intentions of giving it back. I'm sorry to say that you've been conned."

How do you know this? The darkness questioned.

"I've seen many movies in my time, and I've also had nineteen years living with humanity. Once someone with those kind of ambitions gets a hold of power, they will not wanna give it up, let me tell you."

Hmmm... the darkness seemed to be thinking about this.

"Now you're stuck in this body, which isn't letting you take control. You're trapped."

I've escaped before, it said.

"Yeah, and every time you do, I'm finding it easier to shove you away. Eventually, you'll never get out." I mean, I wasn't totally sure on this, but I needed to get this stuff on my side.

What are you proposing?

"Well." I began. "This is where I need your help. I have no idea how to get you out of my body."

You can't. The darkness said this quite quickly, so much so I didn't really believe it. For something so ancient and powerful, I realised the darkness wasn't the best when it came to lying. I guessed it hadn't had much social interaction in its time.

"Look, if you don't help me, you're gonna be stuck inside me forever. If you help, then you can go back to how things used to be, which has gotta be better than this." I motioned to my body. "And I'll tell you what. If you agree to help me, we can work together and you can get your revenge on this fire and lightning guy before finally being released."

How can I trust you? It asked.

"Well, you can't really. But, you've been stuck inside my body for a while now and I don't really want you there. So you haven't really got anything to lose."

I swear I almost heard it sigh. What are the terms of our deal?

"I'm glad you asked." I said. "Firstly, you cannot under any circumstances, decide when you show yourself. None of this taking over my body shit. You come out on my accord only. Understood?"

It was silent, and for a while I wondered whether it was going to answer.

Fine. It said.

"Secondly, you tell me what I need to do to get you out." I paused. "Although, I guess that's also beneficial to you."

Okay.

"You'll also tell me everything I want to know."

Is that all?

"I think so." I paused, just to have a think, but was pretty sure everything had been covered. "So, how am I supposed to get rid of you?"

There is a way. It said. Your Dreamwalker was correct when he said that I become weaker with every element that manifests in you. You must get all seven elements to manifest within you, and it is then that I may be released.

"Okay." I said. "But how am I supposed to do that?"

There is a prophecy. It said. Written many years ago. Many do not know of this.

"A prophecy?" I wondered out loud. "So somebody, somewhere, knew this was going to happen?"

Supposedly, yes.

"But you don't believe it?"

I didn't, no. However, circumstances have changed. I do believe that it is now real.

There was more silence.

"So?" I broke it. "How does the prophecy go?"

The darkness began to speak:

An Argent Eye

Chosen by Ice
Scorched by Fire
Struck by Lightning
Grounded by Earth
Choked by Water
Suppressed by Air
United with Metal

They will be as one
To balance themselves with the light inside
Or be consumed by the darkness that rips the lives
Of so many

If only she will allow it.

I waited a few moments to let that sink in, repeating it over and over in my head. I then came to the conclusion that perhaps it would be easier to think about it in the real world. That way, I wouldn't be distracted by a blob of darkness hovering before me.

However. The darkness said. If the Argent of fire and lightning gets to you before you've manifested all seven elements, he will be able to take me for himself. Once that happens, there is no going back unless you destroy him.

"Right." I said, still thinking.

Any other questions? It sounded bored.

"Oh, actually, I do." I said. "What's with the whole light situation? It always comes out after you."

The light is a part of me. No matter where I go or what I do, the light will always follow. There is no separating us, because without the other, we are imbalanced.

"So am I able to use the light as well?"

Yes. Walk around me, child.

At first, I was confused as to why the darkness would want me to do that. But, I did it anyway. As soon as I reached the other side, I was shocked. The black mass of smoke was suddenly white and radiant, so much so I could barely look at it. The skies were blue again, and everything looked so much nicer. Cleaner. Healed.

Hello, Millie. It said. It's voice was so soft and smooth and calming.

"Um, hello." I said, a little nervous all of a sudden.

I am the Light, trapped within you. I follow the darkness, as the darkness follows me. There is no separating us.

"So I guess you're part of the deal, too?" I asked.

Yes. I am willing to do whatever it takes to help you find this man and stop him.

"Thank you." I said, and smiled. "After that, you can be free."

Thank you, Millie. I wish you all the best. I am only a thought away. It said, just as the scene around me began to break apart. Soon enough, the floor began to disappear and I found that I was falling...

___________

I shot up in bed and gasped, before sighing. I sat there for a moment, thinking back to my dream, and had to say that things felt a little different. I could still feel the darkness there, lingering, however it didn't seem to be working against me anymore. I knew that it was willing to do whatever it took to get out of my body, and if that meant waiting, then so be it. The prophecy rang loud and clear in my mind, so much so I got up and quickly wrote it all down on a piece of paper in case I should forget.

I then noticed that it was nearly lunch time, and took a cool shower before making myself some brunch. I grabbed eggs and bacon from my fridge, and then chucked some baked beans in a pan to cook. I was hungry, I knew that much.

Ronan appeared in my kitchen then.

"Hello." He said.

I looked around the room. "You realise someone could see you in here."

He shrugged. "I can get out of here pretty quickly."

"Fair enough." I said, continuing to cook my breakfast. "You want some?" I motioned to the food.

"Nah, I just ate." Ronan said. "Thanks."

"Any particular reason as to why you are in my kitchen?" I started dishing up my brunch onto a plate.

He frowned. "I'm not totally sure. I had a strange feeling that something was up."

"There's actually something I want to tell you, about the darkness." I said, just before the kitchen door began to open. Ronan vanished, as Jake popped his head round. He took a look around the kitchen, and frowned.

"Who were you talking to?" He asked.

"Um, nobody." I said. "Probably myself."

"Hm." Jake muttered, narrowing his eyes. "I thought I heard someone else in here."

I took a look round. "Nobody else here, I don't think." I chuckled a little, feeling bad for lying. But what would I tell him? Oh yeah, that was just my friend Ronan. He can teleport and stuff. No. I would sound like a madwoman.

Maybe I was just a madwoman.

I just took my brunch and walked past Jake, who still seemed confused. Then, Ronan appeared in my room.

"Ronan, someone is gonna catch you sooner or later." I stressed, quickly running to close the door.

"Nah, they won't." Ronan shrugged. "What did you wanna tell me?"

"Oh yeah." I said. "So, I found out why the darkness is inside me."

"You did?" Ronan took a seat on my bed. "How?"

"I spoke to it last night. In my dream."

Ronan nodded slowly.

"So, basically it was all part of a deal gone wrong. Someone else was supposed to get it or something."

"Who?"

"I don't know." I frowned. "He just said he was an Argent Eye of fire and lightning. Do you know anyone like that?"

I mean, I'd heard of someone like that. The legend that Stella was telling me about. But that was just it- a legend. Wasn't it? Surely if it wasn't a legend, then Ronan would tell me about it?

Ronan frowned, then looked worried for a second.

"What?" I said. "Do you know?"

Ronan then shook his head. "No idea."

So that was a lie. Why would he lie to me? After what just happened, I thought we were on truth telling terms.

"Did the darkness say anything else?" He asked changing the subject.

"No." I said. "I mean, it told me how to get it out of me before the lightning man takes it for himself."

"Really?"

"Yeah, it was kinda like you said. When I activate all my elements, it will be driven out."

"So I was right!" Ronan smiled. "So, I guess we have to get all your elements manifested. So far you have ice, fire and lightning. You just need water, air, earth and metal. How we do that is another thing."

"Well, there's actually this." I handed the piece of paper with the prophecy written on it to Ronan, who took it, frowning.

He then looked at me. "So the darkness told you this?"

I nodded. "He said it was some kind of prophecy. I guess it's how I can get the elements to manifest."

"Hmm." Ronan rubbed his chin. "I've never even heard of such a prophecy. I didn't even know prophecies existed."

I frowned. "You live in a world where people can teleport and control the elements, and you don't think that prophecies exist?"

He smirked. "Well, when you put it like that." He peered down at the paper again. "I mean, you were definitely chosen by ice- that was your first element that the Black Prometheum gave you. And I guess you were struck by lightning when David shocked you. I still don't understand how you got the fire. Scorched by Fire. If that's true, then wouldn't you remember it?"

I shrugged. "I don't really know, but I'm not that bothered at the moment. I don't think we have a lot of time." I remembered the man with the yellow eyes. I didn't know who he was, but I had a feeling he was linked to all this.

"What makes you say that?"

I shrugged. "A feeling." I lied. I mean, who's to say the yellow eyed man was even real? He seemed to just appear and then disappear before I even got a good look at him.

Ronan didn't question my 'feeling'. "Well, we now need to figure out how to translate this riddle. Some of this might be metaphorical."

My eyebrows shot up. "Maybe Stella can activate my earth element?"

Ronan thought. "That could work. If she does it the same way David did, then I reckon it could work." He paused. "However, I do think it's important that you at least learn how to control the elements you currently have. We don't want you exploding or something."

"Exploding?" I was taken aback.

"Well, yeah. Not literally, but it could be catastrophic if you lost control of one element, let alone four or five."

"Good point." I said. "I did something strange with the lightning yesterday."

"Oh, yeah- David told me about that. Pretty impressive!" Ronan praised.

I laughed. "I got soaked, though."

Ronan chuckled. "But, once again you did that without actually intending to. So it will be a good idea to get that under control."

"We'll have to wait till the next thunderstorm." I pointed out.

"Yeah. So in the mean time, we can strengthen your ice and learn about your fire. Maybe you'll figure out how it got activated."

"Maybe." I said, still trying to think.

There was a knock on my door. "Millie?" I heard Jake through the door.

I turned to Ronan.

"Meet me outside Greenwich Park after it closes." He said, and vanished before I could respond.

I went and opened the door. "What's up?" I asked.

"Oh, nothing." He said, peering into my room over my shoulder. "I thought I heard voices."

"Yeah, I was just on FaceTime to someone." I frowned. Jake seemed to be getting more and more curious about things, and it only worried me. I mean, if he did know, how would he take it? Not to mention the fact that some serious shit was going down right now, and I didn't really want him involved. It would complicate things. I mean, would he even believe me?

"Oh." He said, although I could tell he was dubious. I wedged my door open and went to sit at my desk, spinning on my chair as Jake stood in the doorway.

"What time does Greenwich Park close?" I asked, curious.

"Um, I think it's nine thirty." He said. "Why? You're not planning on breaking in, are you?" He laughed.

I chuckled, realising that's exactly what was going to happen. Without the breaking part. "Nah. I was just wondering."

"Well, I'll see you later. I have a lecture that starts in five minutes."

I just stared at Jake who was stood there in his pyjamas.

"And I need to get ready." He said, before darting off into his room and slamming his door shut.

__________

Seguir leyendo

También te gustarán

4 0 8
In a world where the elements hold immense power and secrets lie hidden within, Evelyn believed she was an ordinary girl living a perfect life. But w...
3.8K 562 65
NOW PUBLISHED ON AMAZON. Action, Romance, Bad Weather & Broken Crayons! ** Elemental beings struggle over the fate & heart of a 2-souled artist as s...
1.4M 54.6K 62
Credits: 'MsChallenjour' for the amazing yet beautiful book cover and 'Daring2BeMe' for trying to edit the first few chapters of the book. Also, the...
210 30 30
"Then breathe. Really breathe. In and out. You're somewhere where thousands of your ancestors have stood before you, to travel between worlds. This p...